Star Trek as Lotr-esque LCG

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 philosophant

philosophant

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 07:20 PM

I think that this would be a great coop style card game in the same vein of the lotr lcg. What do you think?

Mixing and matching members of crews wouldn't be so far fetched because they all, apart from TOS, were in about the same time period. TOS can be saga expansions. 

Any thoughts?

• JonofPDX and MechaBri.Zilla like this

#2 Raven1015

Raven1015

• Members
  • 420 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:32 PM

I've been clamoring for a Star Trek cooperative LCG for awhile. I definitely think it's a great idea!

• JonofPDX and Ineti like this

Check out my LOTR LCG blog: talesfromthecards.wordpress.com

Listen to The Grey Company podcast: greycompanypodcast.wordpress.com

#3 Anders1

Anders1

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:21 PM

When they announced the current one that was what I was hoping for. Or an LCG that could do both...

#4 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 12:15 AM

I use to play Decipher CCG Star Trek 15 year ago……For me it was a bit boring….. But since FFG start to use some mechanic from old Decipher card game ( good example is new Warhammer lcg ) maybe we will see new version of Star Trek…..

What i really love to see is a DUNE lcg…….

• iznax likes this

Wizard is never late.......

Glaurung playtrough LOTR LCG on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/olegyd   

#5 Snowhive

Snowhive

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 02:58 AM

A Star Trek LCG in Coop Style. For 1 - 4 (or 6) players?

I'am all in!!  ;)

That would be great! I love the Star Trek Franchise. 

#6 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 03:02 AM

I would love another co-op LCG, but not Star Trek as I'm not the fan of it and I do not dig the theme.

#7 Snowhive

Snowhive

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:26 AM

I would love another co-op LCG, but not Star Trek as I'm not the fan of it and I do not dig the theme.

Generell would be another co-op LCG great.

Wich theme you would prefer?

Star Trek would in my opinion perfect for a co-op game. You can use the different branches for Deck building.

- Star Wars (group of Jedi) will work too, but there is already a Star Wars LCG.

- Dune is more like Games of Thrones

- BattleTech would be great - but no co-op (Solaris VII for example)

There are not much theme they work great with co-op games

#8 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 10:13 AM

Call of Cthulhu/Warhammer(doesn't matter if Old World or 40k) Co-Operative LCG would be perfect for me.

#9 CaffeineAddict

CaffeineAddict

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:47 AM

I used to play the first edition of Deciphers Star Trek CCG, and I loved it, but finding opponents to play against became very difficult, so I stopped playing. I'd love a new Star Trek game, though. Something like LO|TR where you can play solo as well as co-op would be brilliant.

#10 klaymen_sk

klaymen_sk

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 02:23 PM

Call of Cthulhu/Warhammer(doesn't matter if Old World or 40k) Co-Operative LCG would be perfect for me.

As much as I'd like to see a new coop LCG (that isn't Star Trek), I don't see Warhammer (fantasy or 40k) as a coop game. CoC may be a good call, though that can be done through some deluxe expansion for the existing CoC and not a standalone game.

#11 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 02:55 PM

As much as I'd like to see a new coop LCG (that isn't Star Trek), I don't see Warhammer (fantasy or 40k) as a coop game. CoC may be a good call, though that can be done through some deluxe expansion for the existing CoC and not a standalone game.

There are plenty of RPG products of Warhammer both Old World and 40k, I can't see how making a co-operative LCG is a problem.

#12 Rubinon

Rubinon

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 03:38 PM

I think klaymen_sk wasn't commenting on a lack of source material, but on the style of the setting. Koop doesn't seem to fit in there.

#13 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 03:42 PM

I think klaymen_sk wasn't commenting on a lack of source material, but on the style of the setting. Koop doesn't seem to fit in there.

And RPG's of Warhammer are exact proof that Co-Op fits. (that's because they're technically co-op, if you haven't guessed yet)

#14 Rubinon

Rubinon

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 04:34 PM

Yeah, right. I see yor point now.

#15 camacazio

camacazio

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:10 PM

What does one imagine when they think a co-op star trek game could work? Going on away-teams together to solve interplanetary disputes or fight klingons? The repeated problem with making a game for Star Trek is that while it can inspire ideas for strategic space games, like the Decipher ccg, the heart of what makes star trek great isn't the characters or any setting, it is the ideas and allegories through the characters. What I'm saying is that anyone with the same kind of love for Star Trek as we seem to see in this LOTR game will hit a wall with never making something that is true to the source, that makes any sense as a star trek game outside of pictures of big space boats.

• SilvanBouncer likes this

#16 Raven1015

Raven1015

• Members
  • 420 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:23 PM

What does one imagine when they think a co-op star trek game could work? Going on away-teams together to solve interplanetary disputes or fight klingons? The repeated problem with making a game for Star Trek is that while it can inspire ideas for strategic space games, like the Decipher ccg, the heart of what makes star trek great isn't the characters or any setting, it is the ideas and allegories through the characters. What I'm saying is that anyone with the same kind of love for Star Trek as we seem to see in this LOTR game will hit a wall with never making something that is true to the source, that makes any sense as a star trek game outside of pictures of big space boats.

I get what you're saying. Loving Trek all my life, the big ethical and philosophical questions at the heart of great Trek is impossible to replicate in a game. Still, I think a cooperative LCG could take the "adventure" approach of LOTR LCG and adapt it into a "mission" format. The problem with many Trek games is they have too big a scale, whereas an LCG with constant expansions could take the time to develop individual missions/episodes with a developed story and throw in some different paths/conundrums for players to solve. From a mission focusing on exploring a new star system to stopping a Borg invasion, there's plenty there to make an interesting card game, if not allowing you to live out the show exactly. 

• MechaBri.Zilla and Snowhive like this

Check out my LOTR LCG blog: talesfromthecards.wordpress.com

Listen to The Grey Company podcast: greycompanypodcast.wordpress.com

#17 Snowhive

Snowhive

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 06:26 AM

And RPG's of Warhammer are exact proof that Co-Op fits. (that's because they're technically co-op, if you haven't guessed yet)

So you like a pathfinder style co-op game for 40K and/or Fantasy. That will be work and FFG have the RPG rights....

Since for Fantasy don't come more AP's - that can be work...

#18 Snowhive

Snowhive

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 06:26 AM

I get what you're saying. Loving Trek all my life, the big ethical and philosophical questions at the heart of great Trek is impossible to replicate in a game. Still, I think a cooperative LCG could take the "adventure" approach of LOTR LCG and adapt it into a "mission" format. The problem with many Trek games is they have too big a scale, whereas an LCG with constant expansions could take the time to develop individual missions/episodes with a developed story and throw in some different paths/conundrums for players to solve. From a mission focusing on exploring a new star system to stopping a Borg invasion, there's plenty there to make an interesting card game, if not allowing you to live out the show exactly. 

Yes, you are right. I see it that way too

#19 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 06:31 AM

So you like a pathfinder style co-op game for 40K and/or Fantasy. That will be work and FFG have the RPG rights....

Since for Fantasy don't come more AP's - that can be work...

I'm confused because I can't quite understand what are you trying to say here. 

If you're talking about pathfinder advanture card game - no, I don't like anything like that in Warhammer setting. I would like a "real" cooperative card game set in any of Warhammer universes. By "real" I mean games like LCG's of FFG, not dice rolling fest.

#20 klaymen_sk

klaymen_sk

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 08:03 AM

Sure, but they are usually on a small scale (an elite squad, a small investigation group or so) and frankly, Warhammer is more about epic battles, so on a larger scale the coop won't work much.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS