Scourge of the Red Tide

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Drachdhar

Drachdhar

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:32 AM

Something bothers me with this Power... It explicitly states that a scouring tide of warp energy jets out from the eye of the navigator, powerful enough to sear flesh from bone and even warp bulkheads and other inanimate objects.

Yet one can look away and suffer no ill effect... No sense made...

At Novice level, maybe it could make sense that one could look away and not take damage... But at Adept or Master - hell no.

Why?

For one, chairs, bulkheads, dressers and doors do not have eyes and should never ever take damage from this power, yet they do.

House Rule time, my proposed change to make it make sense...

Instead of Opposed Willpower being rolled, the Navigator rolls Willpower as normal opposed by Agility(as Wind of Chaos in BC). The power has a range of Perception Bonus x5 and hits in a cone just like a flamer.

and to make a little more sense when it comes to cost... Adept:  Navigator takes one wound and if they fail by one or more degrees they take 1d5 Fatigue as well. Puts it in line with Master level...

Anyone have thoughts with regards to this power? Perhaps better than mine...

#2 Nameless2all

Nameless2all

• Members
  • 760 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:50 AM

I'm assuming this power is in Navis Primer?

Edited by Nameless2all, 27 March 2014 - 09:51 AM.

For a collection of fan created material, please refer to the link below. Some of it was edited/created by myself and friends, while most is other fan material. Happy gaming people.https://drive.google.com<p>-"May your endeavors always be prosperous, though they may not always be profitable."

#3 Nameless2all

Nameless2all

• Members
  • 760 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:50 AM

Disregard this post and this odd white line.  Seems my cognitator has been corrupted.

Edited by Nameless2all, 27 March 2014 - 09:52 AM.

For a collection of fan created material, please refer to the link below. Some of it was edited/created by myself and friends, while most is other fan material. Happy gaming people.https://drive.google.com<p>-"May your endeavors always be prosperous, though they may not always be profitable."

#4 Drachdhar

Drachdhar

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:27 PM

I'm assuming this power is in Navis Primer?

Into the Storm

#5 Nameless2all

Nameless2all

• Members
  • 760 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 01:21 AM

I like your concept, though I never had a problem with the power.  From my understanding, the whole 'not gazing at the Nav's eye' thing was a way for you (your character I should say) to shield your mind against those powers.  FFG decided to literally take the saying "the eyes are the windows to the soul" into context for these powers.  And hence, since inanimate objects have no soul, they get damaged and cannot resist the power(s).

However, skimming over your idea it appears it has merit, and could easily be implemented into RT with little to no consequences.  Best advice, discuss it with the player who is a Navigator, and play test it.  That's what I do with my House Rules.  Happy gaming.

• Sebastian Yorke likes this

#6 Lynata

Lynata

• Members
  • 3,172 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 07:31 AM

FFG decided to literally take the saying "the eyes are the windows to the soul" into context for these powers. 

That's not an FFG thing, actually - this is how Navigators already worked in GW's own d100 game. However, there it was actually two powers: Lidless Stare and Warp Gaze, with the former being some sort of LoS hypnosis that drives targets insane by filling their mind with torturous visions, and the latter being an "ordinary" Warp-fueled shooting attack (looking away would not help there).

The power described in this thread seems like a combination of the two?

#7 Drachdhar

Drachdhar

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:12 PM

By the same logic inanimate objects should not get hurt at all since, like you said, they have no souls. The warp generally has trouble affecting something with some sort of soullessness, Nulls for example. Although over time even Nulls and inanimate stuff start to warp under the Warps influence.

And if the power affects physical matter just looking away will not really do much... Flesh is physical matter as much as metal and wood is.

#8 Magellan

Magellan

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 02:45 AM

I must protest. Warp lightning pyromancy and telekinesis (among countless other things) affect inanimate, soulless objects just as well as they do creatures. I would argue that nulls are actively anti-warp creatures, not just people who happen to lack souls.

More on topic, I think this thread should be in the house rules section. If we're going to discuss Scourge of the Red Tide itself, I'm just gonna go ahead and point out that the novice level of this power doesn't cause fatigue to the user. This is probably an oversight, but if you go by RAW, it is a strong contender for navigator power of the century.

I am the latest model of a Fabricator-General
My body isn't nearly as much animal as mineral
My learnedness is legend; my accomplishments historical
For hereteks and aliens my hatred's categorical

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS