Weird stuff you buy/do for X-Wing... (or) X-Wing Hax

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#21 Gullwind

Gullwind

• Members
  • 595 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:59 PM

Well, it looks like I've done just about everything that people have mentioned here.

I have four Plano trays to keep it all in.

I've either repainted or touched up every single model.

Gloss-coated all the cardboard parts. (I found a really great, cheap clear coat that I'm very happy with. It's like $3.50 a can at Wal-Mart. Its the Rust-O-Leum American Accents Ultra Cover. I highly recommend it.)

Markered all the edges of the cardboard parts. (I used a Marks-A-Lot instead of a Sharpie. The wedge tip covers the whole width of the cardboard very nicely.)

Painted all the bases black and gloss-coated them. Still thinking about flicking some white paint on them to make a star pattern though . . .

One thing I've done that I haven't seen here though. I've glued sections of a thin mousepad inside the base to make a pretty non-skid surface for them to sit on. It really helps with accidental nudges.

#22 GiraffeandZebra

GiraffeandZebra

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:28 PM

And now I need Sharpies. :P

Just trust me and spring for paint markers. The results are much better than regular sharpies.
  • NotBatman and Introverdant like this

#23 Jaster Mereel

Jaster Mereel

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:31 PM

One thing I've done that I haven't seen here though. I've glued sections of a thin mousepad inside the base to make a pretty non-skid surface for them to sit on. It really helps with accidental nudges.

That's interesting.  How well does that work? I've thought about going the weighted washers route but I like this idea too.

#24 Osoroshii

Osoroshii

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:36 PM

I got a ton of shield tokens but never had the chance to play in the tourneys for the stress tokens, so got a few off ebay, and two Gold Squadron cards so I don't have to look at that strange engine priapism on the standard art. I'd have seriously considered getting a second card box off ebay too, but seems like my allegiance to the Empire meant that I chose the one that people didn't want when I had the chance. Haven't seen a single one of the Rebels pop up, and I can't make it to any more of those tourneys. Do kinda feel that thinking and collecting this way is sort of akin to mental illness.... Haven't really done it before with anything. At least I can't bring myself to spend more than a couple bucks for a card, even Mauler...

I also painted all the engines on my ships so that they look like they're on, and made a green and blue squad a-wing, but nothing fancy.

I have the rebels box! I'm willing to trade it for some of those Shield tokens.

Painted tokens.
Touch up paint on ships
Battle Foam bag
Black Silicon and washers in ship bases
Ultra Pro binder for cards

#25 Slugrage

Slugrage

• Members
  • 284 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:26 PM

Only thing I've bought extra so far is:

BattleFoam 432 case

Set of trays for Core/Wave 1/2

Tray for Wave 3

Pluck foam tray

So now I'll need to buy something different or use the pluck level for Wave 4 (and 5?)

Right now, the BF case is carrying:
2 Core (2 X & 4 TIE)

1 X-Wing Expansion Pack

3 Y-Wing

3 A-Wing

2 B-Wing

2 HWK

1 YT-1300

2 TIE Expansion Packs
3 TIE/Ad

7 TIE/Int - 3 base, 2 RG, 2 181st
2 Lambda
2 TIE/Bmb

1 Firespray

And I'll get at least 2 Rebel Aces packs, 4 Z95s and probably 2 each of the other ones, plus the Transport plus the Corvette...  And a new bank loan.

#26 macar

macar

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:50 PM

Cut down  a range ruler at the (1) mark giving me a great range 1/2 or range 2/3 finder

• Souladin likes this

2013 Regional Winner:

2013 Top 16 at Nationals (US)

2014 Store Championship Winner-Game Preserve Fashion Mall

2014 Ohio State Regional Winner-Epic Loot & Games

#27 Pygon

Pygon

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:44 AM

- Matte clear contact paper on the dials before assembly so the maneuvers don't rub off with use

- Sharpie paint pens (black, red, lime, aqua, etc.) to paint the edges of the tokens, including painting matching blue/red target locks the same color

- 0.1" thick mouse pad attached to the bottom of all bases using spray Elmer's glue

- Plano 5231/3952 boxes for storage (with some minor modifications for storing the large bases)

- Play surface: Gale Force 9 red nebula mat when I want to be fancy, or a 3'x3' sheet of black felt for $4

- Clear card sleeves, large and small

Edited by Pygon, 27 March 2014 - 01:58 AM.

Core/Wave 1: 4 X-Wings, 3 Y-Wings, 8 TIE Fighters, 3 TIE Advanceds; Wave 2: 2 YT-1300s, 3 A-Wings, 2 Firesprays, 3 TIE Interceptors

Wave 3: 3 B-Wings, 3 TIE Bombers, 3 HWK-290s, 2 Lambda Shuttles; Imperial Aces: 2 Royal Guard Interceptors, 2 Elite Interceptors

Huge ships: 1 Tantive IV, 2 Transports, 2 alternate X-Wings

Wave 4: 3 E-Wings, 6 Z95s, 3 TIE Defenders, 3 TIE Phantoms

#28 Swedge

Swedge

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:08 AM

what i have done:

put weights in the stand bases (metal washers)

bought ALL Plexiglas tokens. (They look really cool with a black light).. 

going to touch up the engine glows on ALL the ships. (using a florescent color so it glows with a black light)

got one shield bag and heavily customized its storage capabilities it currently holds my entire fleet of almost 80 ships and all tokens and range rulers that i store in a plastic divider box that fits in the top slot of the shield bag.. going to get another shield bag once wave 4 drops and make one bag Imperial and the other Rebel. 

got, actually had left over from my college days... a "trapper/keeper" binder for all my cards, use 2"coin slot cards for the small cards and baseball trading card pages for the big cards, works great and keeps them handy and easy to get to, each 2" coin slot will hold up to 9 cards of the same type, also keeps my lists and recommended lists and assorted paper stuff in the front pockets of the binder, binder also zips completely shut which is nice.

got a green laser off ebay for line projection. although it eats batteries, but the one i got my daughter doesn't, so i might get another..lol paid like 9 bucks and the cats like it..lol 

tested and purchased nearly every type of play mat made!! bought neoprene sheets off ebay they work pretty good but they tend to roll back up,(easy fix with weighted boards on each end.. got a vinyl one made, cheap but it also wants to roll back up AND its textured and slides all over the place, got a galeforce 9 space mat, didn't look nearly as vibrant when i received it, and it too bunches up and slides all over the place AND was expensive!!!! got a trifold "Elmers" poster board, it works great AND its just black and is ready for painting!! also cheap, but not as portable!! then got one of the HCD mats, works perfect but the design on it is kind over the top, got mine on one of those deal of the day things.. its a great mat, like a giant mouse pad the design on its just waaay to busy for me... other than that i haven't done much with my fleet. Oh i do plan on repainting a few ships, i want to make a black HWK for starters.. 

Edited by Swedge, 27 March 2014 - 05:11 AM.

anybody in the Sumter S.C. area???

#29 Gullwind

Gullwind

• Members
  • 595 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:40 AM

That's interesting.  How well does that work? I've thought about going the weighted washers route but I like this idea too.

I've been pretty happy with it. I originally had steel washers and silicon rubber in all of my bases, which worked pretty well. The extra weight was nice and the silicon made for a very non-skid surface, but you have to be very careful about letting the silicon stick to the cardboard when being stored. I have a couple of large ship tokens with some of the surface paper ripped off because the silicon was too sticky. (Fortunately just on unique pilots I have multiples of).

The mousepad bases aren't as heavy, but I think they are even more resistant to sliding. And downward pressure and they flat don't move. You can still bump them with a gentle sideways nudge, but overall they stay put. And they aren't sticky!

One more thing I've done was to add nylon washers in my dials, as has been mentioned. My biggest problem is buying out the local hardware stores of 5/16" size washers and them not getting restocked for weeks.

#30 Bohrdumb

Bohrdumb

• Members
  • 557 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:12 AM

Looking at 3rd party stuff - who makes range finders/movement templates that are tournament legal?

5 X, 3 B, 2 A, 2 Y, 1 Hwk.

6 TIE, 2 TIE B. 2 Ints, 1 Adv

Ordered: 1 Defender, 2 Phantoms

#31 Keoki

Keoki

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:33 AM

This...

http://shop.hallmark...t-1SHP4004.html

• Swedge, swordman and R2Tito like this

#32 Crabbok

Crabbok

• Members
  • 811 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:43 AM

Made a gaming mat out of black cabinet liners

Painted MOST of my ships

Sharpie'd all of my cardboard green

Started a YouTube channel for X-Wing

Created a custom Free-For-All game scenario with props. 

#33 Bohrdumb

Bohrdumb

• Members
  • 557 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:44 AM

There's an app for that.

5 X, 3 B, 2 A, 2 Y, 1 Hwk.

6 TIE, 2 TIE B. 2 Ints, 1 Adv

Ordered: 1 Defender, 2 Phantoms

#34 DoubleNot7

DoubleNot7

• Members
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:57 AM

I alphabetize all my pilot and upgrade cards.  That and I built a Death Star.

• Papamambo likes this

Enimo Et Fide

#35 MandalorynOranj

MandalorynOranj

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 07:51 AM

Bought a KR X-Wing case. It's probably a little overkill but it's nice for traveling with them. Got a 3x3 black felt mat from Michaels to play on, I've been meaning to spatter some white paint on as stars but I haven't gotten around to it.

#36 Doc_H

Doc_H

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 07:53 AM

Hmmm i feel like a light weight compared to you guys...

1. I made a playing card box out of the Falcon's and Slave-1's packaging to store all the pilot cards.
  2. I got a space scene printed on a vinyl poster.
  3. I painted my Falcon's engine glow.
  4. (forgot about this) just made a 'wooden spoon' trophy for a little mini tourney that's being run at our games club.

I have seen a few ideas I am going to steal though ;-)

oh, and first post, hi folks.

Edited by Doc_H, 27 March 2014 - 07:55 AM.

#37 Aminar

Aminar

• Members
  • 2,895 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:44 AM

Cut down  a range ruler at the (1) mark giving me a great range 1/2 or range 2/3 finder

Remember range 2 is exactly 5 move long. So that already covers it.(but nothing is range 1, as it is 2.5 bases long...)

#38 catachan23

catachan23

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:24 AM

I marked the edges of my tokens and templates black, which was the color I happened to get out of my group.

I glued XWMG logos onto the right corner of the each player's side of my game board.

I also glued the Targeting Computer screenshot from the trench run on the opposite corner of the "Rebel Scum" side and an image of a TIE targeting an X:Wing onto the "Villanous Empire" side.

I used the astroid tokens as templates to cut 1mm thick clear plastic into shape and black wire to attach foam that I molded into shape as similar to the image on the token as I could.  I also put a thin line of hot glue around the edges of the plastic to give it a little non-slip traction.  I used wire to attach smaller pieces 'floating' around the larger pieces of foam for a little more intersting apearence. 

I printed out a couple images of different shapes and sizes of interesting looking space gas clouds on some thick card.  I use them similar to astroids in that they are 'obsticals' but moving through them only 'interferes with you navigational computers' causing you to loose your action but deals no damage.  It is a fun way to add some strategic and tactical variation to movement in the game. 

Touched-up the paint on my ships and painted engine glow.

(In-progress):

Rotating B-Wing mods. 

Finish building the 'spaceport' board.  I am currently building the 3D scaffolding and space station elements that will serve as the 'astroids.' 

(In-Development):

Print out a Capital Ship battle a 4x6 vinyl mat for 'Epic Play' using one of these images:

http://www.afewmaneu...sd-vs-mc80-mat/

I particularly like The 180x120 with battle in the background without stats and The 180x120 only battle.

Pick up some Shapeways ships

(Thanks to some awesome ideas on here)  Add some vinyl washers and clear coat to my dials

Edited by catachan23, 27 March 2014 - 10:29 AM.

Scum: 5 X-Wing 3 Z-95 3 Y-Wing 2 B-Wing 2 A-Wing 1 E-Wing 1 HWK 1 YT-1300 1 GR-75
Villany: 7 TIEs 4 TIE/Int 3 TIE/Bomb 2 TIE/Defender 1 TIE/Adv 1 TIE/Phantom 1 Firespray 1 Lambda
Incoming:  (Currently Waiting For Wallet To Replenish)  1 RebAces 1 YT-2400  2 VT-49                                                                                                                

"Sorry About The Mess." - Han Solo

#39 geordan

geordan

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 12:58 PM

Looking at 3rd party stuff - who makes range finders/movement templates that are tournament legal?

I've seen a bunch, including:

http://teamcovenant....-templates.html
http://www.appliedpe...ment-templates/
http://www.litko.net...ml#.UzR0Ya1dX70

My understanding is that pretty much all 3rd party templates are legal, due to inaccuracies in the stamping of the cardboard templates.  (But bring your cardboard just in case...)

(Yet Another) X-Wing Squad Builder: http://geordanr.github.io/xwing/

#40 MajorJuggler

MajorJuggler

• Members
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:20 PM

That and I built a Death Star.

Pics or it didn't happen!!!  :D

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS