Weird stuff you buy/do for X-Wing... (or) X-Wing Hax

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 Hoosteen

Hoosteen

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:07 PM

With all this talk about Imperial Aces, Rebel transport, Tantive IV, Wave 4, or Rebel Aces, I am curious what you guys have done/plan to customize your current fleet. 

Are you perfectly content with the ships they way they come out of the box?
Maybe just a repaint? 
Or did you order a bunch of stuff from Shapeways just for your scenarios? 
What have you done, and why?

For me:
- Repainted a few ships, and touched up a few more.
- Sharpied all the edges of every token, maneuver template, and ship base. Really takes away the cardboard feel. (green tokens get green Sharpie, red get red, blue get blue, and everything else gets black)
b8534a34-0c14-4d61-9ff5-34727d3e4d9f_zps
- Brushed on a bit of rubber cement on the bottom of the stands to help them stick to the table better. (also, it can easily rub off if I ever decide on a different approach)
- Sprayed all of my maneuver dials with varnish. 3 times. Also cut out tiny circles out of card stock to put between the parts of the dial. (Protects them all really well. I don't have to worry about myself or friends wearing the dials down by not using an 'Oreo' motion.)

1e664237-119a-4ea1-814c-8578fdcf8ced_zps
- Being a cheap bastard, bought a yard of fabric from Walmart to act as a 'Star field.'
- Plano case to hold everything.
- Deck Box + card protecters.

ea8a1aa3-7377-4c04-8195-60efc6d8f452_zps

So what about you guys?

What have you done?  :lol:

• The Black Man and admiralcrunch like this

#2 Norsehound

Norsehound

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:16 PM

I put velcro pads on the backs of my target locks and use FFG stands to keep them upright and facing me.

That way I know they're paired, and which ones are mine B)

• Hrathen likes this

#3 Guitarquero

Guitarquero

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:22 PM

I did the same with the tokens and ive only painted the ship bases and marked the ships for when i play with them during tournies. 

I bought thease tool boxs from walmart that stack so you could have 3 or 4 tool boxes (I only have 2 but i may need another) My yt would not fit in them so my girl and her handy ways cut out a section in it so they could fit. 

Edited by Guitarquero, 26 March 2014 - 02:24 PM.

Rebels: 4 Xwings, 2 Ywings, 2 Awings, 2 Bwings, 2 HWK 290, 2 YT-1300

Imperials: 6 TIE, 3 TIE/In, 2 TIE/A, 2 TIE/B, 2 Firespray, 2 Lamda

#4 Klutz

Klutz

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:27 PM

- Sprayed all of my maneuver dials with varnish. 3 times. Also cut out tiny circles out of card stock to put between the parts of the dial. (Protects them all really well. I don't have to worry about myself or friends wearing the dials down by not using an 'Oreo' motion.)

What kind of varnish did you use?

I've seen people who protect them with sticky-backed plastic stuff but this seems like a much better solution to me!

#5 Bohrdumb

Bohrdumb

• Members
  • 757 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:30 PM

I've done a little repainting, but the only thing I really want to pick up are plastic movement templates. The cardboard ones just don't hold up well, especially the range marker.

I also need to get a better box for things (currently just a cardboard box and the plastic trays the ships come in) but won't until I get more ships to make it worth it.

Edited by Bohrdumb, 26 March 2014 - 02:32 PM.

5 X, 3 B, 2 A, 2 Y, 1 Hwk, 2 Es, 2 Zs

6 TIE, 2 TIE B. 2 Ints, 1 Adv, 1 Defender, 2 Phantoms

#6 Hoosteen

Hoosteen

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:39 PM

What kind of varnish did you use?

I've seen people who protect them with sticky-backed plastic stuff but this seems like a much better solution to me!

I used this.
http://www.hardwares...int-626467.aspx

But you can probably use whatever spray on sealant stuff you can find. 
In order to do it right, I taped a few ball-point-pen lids up ward, so that the dials could sit on them, and the spray wouldn't leak through and stick them to whatever was on the other side of them. Then sprayed a nice thick coat, let it dry a bit, and repeated. After the three coats to the outside of the dials, (and one to the inside on the maneuvers) I let it sit all night. With the bit of card stock (you can barely see the ring in the pic) in the middle, they don't stick at all. 

#7 perniciousducks

perniciousducks

• Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:54 PM

I spray nickel washers with rubber sealant (like you see on the commercials to fix leaks) to make them tacky then glued them to the bottom of my bases (1 per on small bases and 4 per on large bases). This added good weight and made it a bit more difficult to knock them around.

Next up I plan to paint the bases black and do the token edges you mentioned. I want to do the dials, but I'm always worried about damaging pieces I don't have duplicates of. I'll probably test out the varnish on some shield tokens.

Side note: The 4 washers is probably overkill on the big bases and will only do 2 in the future
  • stuffedskullcat likes this
Rebels: 7 X-Wing, 6 Y-Wing, 10 A-Wing, 3 YT-1300, 9 B-Wing, 6 HWK-290, 3 GR-75, 1 CR-90, 8 Z-95, 3 E-Wing,

Imperial: 8 TIE/LN, 4 TIE/X1, 13 TIE/IN, 3 Firespray-31, 6 TIE/SA, 4 Lambda Shuttle, 3 TIE/D, 5 TIE Phantom

#8 Khyros

Khyros

Advocate of A & E Wings Everywhere

• Members
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:59 PM

Edit:  Added all of the pictures onto page 3.

Maybe I'll pull some pictures together tonight... but

1) Husky toolbox for all of my stuff 

2) 3 stacks of pluck foam for the ships

3) card box for all the pilots

4) sleeves for all of the pilot + rule cards 

5) side loading card binder for upgrade cards

6) sleeves for all upgrade cards

7) slightly oversized sleeves for damage deck (this way I know it's my damage card because no one else has them in this size sleeve)

8) Custom made (out of poster) boxes for dials + ship inserts

9) Clear coat on dials (just used krylon clear spray)

10) plastic washer between dials

11) repainted x wing (x3)

12) repainted y wing (x1)

13) repainted a wing (x2)

14) repainted b wing (x2)

15) lighted up the engine of a YT (still WIP, but has kinda hit the back shelf)

16) installed magnets on B wing to allow to rotate (x2... the repainted ones)

17) top 8 in 2013 regionals to get acrylic focuses

19) won s2 to get acrylic shields (twice)

20) won s3 to get acrylic stress

21) won store champ to get acrylic ruler (twice but sold the second one)

22) won store champ to get card box (twice) - used currently for LCG, but in my XWM box

23) Traded 1st box to get acrylic TL from S1 kit

24) painted said acrylic TL so you could read them

25) used mini hair rubber bands to keep my TL & number tokens together (works great btw)

26) made attack/agility decks to replace dice rolls because my girlfriend complained the dice hated her (used them exactly once before she decided to never play again... but they're still sitting with my stuff)

Still to do

Finish painting my rebel ships (2 X wing, all 4 Ys (I want to repaint the one I did originally), 2 A wings, 2 B wings, at least 1 of the HWKs, and both YTs...)

Paint of the bases (this might be the next thing I do)

Weigh the bases (Unsure if I'm going to do this or not)

Paint both FS (thinking one as Jango one as Krassis)

Paint /in & /sa in gray (don't really like the blue... sadly this means every time I buy an imp ship I'll have to paint it)

Top 4 2014 regional to get all of the goodies!

New pluck foam for rebels to include W4 ships

Some sort of external carrying device for transports + corvette

The girlfriend is going to make me a strap for my playmat out of some star wars material she found (it was my valentines present!)

I might spend more time messing with my stuff than I do playing :(... I definitely spend more time on the forums than I do playing.

Edited by Khyros, 05 April 2014 - 04:54 PM.

• Osoroshii, TnT, Swarmtactics and 1 other like this

The fleet:  

Spoiler

#9 TheycamefromBEHIND

TheycamefromBEHIND

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 03:01 PM

umm (sharpie) painted the token and templates...

bought 3 plano boxes...

will completely fill atleast 2...have way more ships than I could possibly field...

traveled far distances to play in store championships...

spent a large amount of time watching games/on forums...

got ultra pro doubled sided, side-loading card pages in a special binder...

afraid to one day add up the total cost til then i'm blissfully ignorant.....

P.S. Im sure theres something I missed  :unsure:

tl:dr I've spent alot time/money on it and good (sad?) part is I don't see this addiction stopping...

Edited by TheycamefromBEHIND, 26 March 2014 - 03:03 PM.

Nothing but blanks

"Gold 5 to Red Leader, lost Tiree lost Hutch....they came from BEHIND"

#10 MikeEMcGee

MikeEMcGee

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 03:02 PM

I've got magnets in my b wing stands/models so they can rotate to any angle.

Acrylic rulers in my possession, with tokens ordered.

I keep my laser level with my x wing gear for checking firing arcs.

The best accessory I've found though is a soundboard app for my phone that does numerous rebel and imperial engines, lasers, chatter, quotations, and even score snippits to accompany great and terrible die rolls. I was sure it'd be obnoxious, but everyone I've played against loves it. I think the key is to use it first to congratulate you opponent.

Edited by MikeEMcGee, 26 March 2014 - 03:02 PM.

#11 TheycamefromBEHIND

TheycamefromBEHIND

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 03:04 PM

I might spend more time messing with my stuff than I do playing :(... I definitely spend more time on the forums than I do playing.

same here, I always got 5/10 minutes to kill on the bus to/from class

Nothing but blanks

"Gold 5 to Red Leader, lost Tiree lost Hutch....they came from BEHIND"

#12 perniciousducks

perniciousducks

• Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 03:05 PM

I've got magnets in my b wing stands/models so they can rotate to any angle.
Acrylic rulers in my possession, with tokens ordered.
I keep my laser level with my x wing gear for checking firing arcs.
The best accessory I've found though is a soundboard app for my phone that does numerous rebel and imperial engines, lasers, chatter, quotations, and even score snippits to accompany great and terrible die rolls. I was sure it'd be obnoxious, but everyone I've played against loves it. I think the key is to use it first to congratulate you opponent.

Do you have a link to that? I've been looking for that since day 1 of owning this stuff.
Rebels: 7 X-Wing, 6 Y-Wing, 10 A-Wing, 3 YT-1300, 9 B-Wing, 6 HWK-290, 3 GR-75, 1 CR-90, 8 Z-95, 3 E-Wing,

Imperial: 8 TIE/LN, 4 TIE/X1, 13 TIE/IN, 3 Firespray-31, 6 TIE/SA, 4 Lambda Shuttle, 3 TIE/D, 5 TIE Phantom

#13 Hoosteen

Hoosteen

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 03:10 PM

25) used mini hair rubber bands to keep my TL & number tokens together (works great btw)

:mellow: I... need it... 

tl:dr I've spent alot time/money on it and good (sad?) part is I don't see this addiction stopping...

I'm glad I'm not the only one.  ^_^

I only have a mini-fleet, and I'm constantly thinking about this game.

In a way, I guess I'm glad I don't have a bigger wallet... (actually, no, I'm not.)

• Rhinoviru3 likes this

#14 Vissah

Vissah

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 03:35 PM

I Just bouwt the smallest bag from Feldherr and some cards protectors and that is it.

Helps that I just started.

I promise you, if I go down I go like a gangster and I will be firing the entire time!

Chael P. Sonnen

#15 Klutz

Klutz

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:11 PM

I Just bouwt the smallest bag from Feldherr and some cards protectors and that is it.

Helps that I just started.

Pffff... noob.  :D

#16 Jaster Mereel

Jaster Mereel

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:22 PM

Ha, I think I do too.  One of my biggest time wasters is when a new wave is announced I try to figure out how to efficiently put it all in my box.  I got an excel spreadsheet with the layout of my box and guesstimate the sizes of the new ships.  Ugh, how many hours I've wasted doing that.

#17 Aminar

Aminar

• Members
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:15 PM

And now I need Sharpies. :P
  • Hoosteen and DigitalChicanery like this

#18 PenguinBonaparte

PenguinBonaparte

• Members
  • 413 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:27 PM

I got a ton of shield tokens but never had the chance to play in the tourneys for the stress tokens, so got a few off ebay, and two Gold Squadron cards so I don't have to look at that strange engine priapism on the standard art. I'd have seriously considered getting a second card box off ebay too, but seems like my allegiance to the Empire meant that I chose the one that people didn't want when I had the chance. Haven't seen a single one of the Rebels pop up, and I can't make it to any more of those tourneys. Do kinda feel that thinking and collecting this way is sort of akin to mental illness.... Haven't really done it before with anything. At least I can't bring myself to spend more than a couple bucks for a card, even Mauler...

I also painted all the engines on my ships so that they look like they're on, and made a green and blue squad a-wing, but nothing fancy.

Edited by PenguinBonaparte, 26 March 2014 - 07:29 PM.

#19 Wookiee Scholar

Wookiee Scholar

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:52 PM

Already done:

• Painted bases/pegs flat black
  • Markered Cardboard Pilot Base edges black to match the bases
  • Markered token/template edges blue (each player in our play group picked a different color)
  • Repainted X-Wing from Red Squadron to Blue Squadron (x2) (although I may re-do them, not sure they are perfect)

Still to do:

• Repaint last X-Wing to Blue Squardon
  • Repaint B-Wing to Blue Squadron
  • Make gaming mat

#20 Chris Maes

Chris Maes

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:24 PM

Purchases:

3x Core Sets (one donated by friend)

14x Expansion Sets (2 donated by friend)

15x Shapeways

On Order:

1x Tantive IV/CR-90

2x Shapeways (Corellian Patrol Cutter & Imperial Rampart-class Cutter)

Current Inventory:

4x X-Wings (all custom paints: Garven, Wedge, Biggs, Luke)

2x Y-Wings (custom paints: Gold and Grey Squadrons)

2x B-Wings (custom paints: Blue Squadron & Blue Leader)

5x A-Wings (2x FFG, 3x Shapeways)

1x HWK-290 (need to repaint)

1x YT-1300

1x YT-2000 (Shapeways)

3x Z-95 Heavy Headhunters (Shapeways)

1x Corvan T-4 (Shapeways, by Gosric)

1x Corvan Assault Bomber (Shapeways, by Gosric)

1x TIE Advanced

8x TIE Fighter

2x TIE Bombers

4x TIE Interceptors (2x Royal Guard, 2x 181st IFW)

1x TIE/gt (Shapeways)

1x TIE Defender (Shapeways)

3x TIE Avengers (Shapeways, by Gosric)

2x Lambda-class Shuttle

1x Firespray-31 (Custom paint: Jango Fett)

Small models and ship bases stored in Plano box.  Large models stored in original packaging in cardboard box, along with Core Sets (containing rules, cards and tokens).  I need a better storage solution now that the collection has grown.

Edited by Chris Maes, 26 March 2014 - 08:48 PM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS