Concerned about table size

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 greengogol

greengogol

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:50 PM

Hello! I'm almost ready to buy Warhammer Diskwars, but the required table size is 36"x36", plus some table space for the deployment cards. My table size is 33" X 55" so it's a bit smaller. Either we play with 3 inches missing from the deployment zones, or we play sideways with 3 inches missing on the sides of the battlefield.

Is it going to affect the game balance?

#2 Hida77

Hida77

• Members
  • 684 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:58 PM

Hello! I'm almost ready to buy Warhammer Diskwars, but the required table size is 36"x36", plus some table space for the deployment cards. My table size is 33" X 55" so it's a bit smaller. Either we play with 3 inches missing from the deployment zones, or we play sideways with 3 inches missing on the sides of the battlefield.

Is it going to affect the game balance?

I would go with the sides being 3" short.  If you do so, you should be fine, its pretty rare that a little over an inch will matter greatly in my experience.  Flankers may be ever so slightly better, but otherwise I think it'd be fine.

• MechaBri.Zilla and greengogol like this

2013 Star Wars: The Card Game Worlds Top 16

X-Wing Ships:

8xX-wing, 4xB-Wing, 2xYT-1300, 4xY-Wing, 4xA-Wing, 2xHWK-290, 3xE-Wing, 5xZ-95, 2xGR-75, 1xCR-90

8xTIE/LN, 11xTIE/IN, 2xTIE/Adv, 4xTIE/as, 3xTIE/Ph, 3xTIE/D, 3xFirespray-31, 3xLambda

#3 greengogol

greengogol

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 01:09 PM

Ok, thanks. It will be weird though. It will be like playing chess from the side of the board

#4 JBouthietteJr

JBouthietteJr

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 04:33 PM

That's how I play, since I suffer from the same issue of table space. Playing from the side was a little awkward at first, due to the flipping mechanic, but we've since gotten used to it.

• greengogol likes this
TIE Fighter x7 / TIE Advanced x1 / TIE Bomber x3 / TIE Interceptor x8 [Aces x3] / TIE Defender x2 / TIE Phantom x2 / Lambda-Class Shuttle x2 / Firespray-31 x1
X-Wing x3 / A-Wing x3 / B-Wing x1 / HWK-290 x1 / YT-1300 x1

#5 Krishakh

Krishakh

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 08:13 AM

We've had the same problem while playing on a table with 2 edges just one short increment shorter than 3''.

It works out fine - got to put deployment zones inside the battlefield on shorter edges, but overall experience was OK.

On second thought, I believe it was 5% more bloody ;) .

• greengogol likes this

#6 greengogol

greengogol

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:53 AM

Other alternatives would be to reduce the length of the deployment zone by 1'5 inch, or to reduce the first move of each disk in the game by 1.

Or i am worrying for no good reason and those 3 inches won't affect the game in any way.

Edited by greengogol, 27 March 2014 - 11:53 AM.

#7 Zcurator

Zcurator

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 01:16 PM

I just went out and bought a 3-fold poster that was 48" x 36". The last fold section is 12", so I easily cut it off with an exacto knife thanks to the fold. 

http://www.staples.c...969&KPID=922528 

Next I would recommend getting a 40" by 36" green felt cloth to put over the board. The felt helps provide traction for the Discs while they are being flipped. You can use tape or tacs to hold the part that wraps around the board in place. I used a set of velcro strips, because I can easily remove the felt from it and fold the 'table' up for storage space. (Note below link is not 40" x 36")

https://www.fabric.c...CFUNhfgodJZwA5g

Sure beats flocking a table and such. 

http://cf.geekdo-ima...c1895610_md.jpg

Edited by Zcurator, 30 March 2014 - 01:26 PM.

• greengogol and Timpro like this

#8 Timpro

Timpro

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:03 PM

I love that idea with the red felt patches for the deployment zones!

Sure makes deployment and gameplay a lot easier

• MechaBri.Zilla likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS