Stacking Bonuses

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 BrotherApothecaryTiberius

BrotherApothecaryTiberius

• Validating
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:35 AM

I've noticed that there are quite a few items that give, at least, a +10 bonus to skills like Medicae. Do all of these bonueses stack with each other?

Example: An Apothecary with a diagnostor helmet (+10 Medicae), narthecium (+20 Medicae on Astartes patients), and a vivesection gage (+10 Medicae) is working on an Astartes patient. Does the Apothecary take all bonuses (+40 Medicae) or just the highest bonus (+20 Medicae)?

It seems to me like the bonuses stack but, being a life-long Dungeons and Dragons player (where bonuses are often not cumulative) i thought it best to ask.

#2 Routa-maa

Routa-maa

• Members
  • 558 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:40 AM

Yes, all bonuses stack. Also remember that maximum bonus/penalty is +/-60

Muutokselle annamme Elämän, Elämälle annamme Muutoksen.

#3 musungu

musungu

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:40 AM

In case of a skill test, like Medicae, all modifiers apply, so they do stack.

#4 BrotherApothecaryTiberius

BrotherApothecaryTiberius

• Validating
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:43 AM

Thanks guys. I appreciate it.

#5 herichimo

herichimo

• Members
  • 882 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:04 PM

This is all correct.

I will add, skill improvement (for instance purchasing the medicae +10 advance) is not a bonus to the test. Skill improvements increase the testing threshold for the skill. Medicae is INT so a character with Medicae +10 must roll under INT+10 for all tests. It does not add a +10 bonus to the skill test.

Example

Medicae

INT 40

+20 test bonuses

Rolls a 56 (Needed to roll under 40+20)

Succeeds with zero Degrees of Success.

Example 2
Medicae +10
INT 40

+20 test bonuses
Rolls 56 (Needed to roll under 50+20)

Succeeds with one Degree of Success.

The Talented trait is an automatic +10 bonus to tests (not a skill increase).

#6 Kshatriya

Kshatriya

• Members
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 08:01 AM

I will add, skill improvement (for instance purchasing the medicae +10 advance) is not a bonus to the test. Skill improvements increase the testing threshold for the skill. Medicae is INT so a character with Medicae +10 must roll under INT+10 for all tests. It does not add a +10 bonus to the skill test.

This is true, it also makes it figuring out if you've hit your cap somewhat of a confusing mess. 

#7 herichimo

herichimo

• Members
  • 882 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 12:17 PM

Its just like any other game system out there. Skill advances are added to the skill's characteristic to determine the number you must roll under for success (jeeze, why couldn't I think of that when making my last post, I always come up with better ways to say things after the fact...). Test bonuses are seperate and apply once for each unique and individual test.

#8 Visitor Q

Visitor Q

• Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 03:42 PM

This is true, it also makes it figuring out if you've hit your cap somewhat of a confusing mess. 

Deathwatch has so many rules to be honest I actually ignore the bonus cap rule and instead operate the overspill re-roll house rule.

Say someone ends up with needing a score of 118 to succeed because of bonus etc then the overspill rule is 96-100 is a fail.  However the player then gets a 18% re-roll to succeed.  The also ignore any GM capriciousness with rolling a critical fail.  Unless of course they roll of 96-100 again.

I find this makes it simpler to work out what someone needs to roll.

#9 Kshatriya

Kshatriya

• Members
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 03:50 PM

Having a TN over 100 is pretty important for characters who rely on full-auto weapons to maximize their hits. Aside from that, not a bad idea but not very grimdark. :P

#10 bogi_khaosa

bogi_khaosa

• Members
  • 2,071 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:11 PM

I don't fail 5% of the time when I try to do something easy. I do it almost all the time. ;)

#11 herichimo

herichimo

• Members
  • 882 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:32 PM

Bogi pours the cereal into his bowl. Then he reaches for his milk. As he pours the milk into the bowl bogi is only half-suprised as his breakfast bursts into flame in front of him, singing his eyebrows.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS