Photo

Favorite Investigator? Dreaded Ancient One?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jgt7771

jgt7771

Saving the world from cosmic evil since 2006

• Members
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 03:13 AM

I've been out of dimension for a loooong time, and I finally found my way back to this side of the Gate.  And now my workplace is blocking this forum--Games-related, dammit--and I only see a handful of names I recognize.  So this is for everyone, but maybe more for the newer forumites, just to get a new pulse on the community:

(1) Have you found a favorite Investigator yet?  Who and why?

(2) Have you discovered that a particular Ancient One has emerged as your personal arch-nemesis?  (Since this game is alive, it eventually chooses one to keep you humble.)

Darrell the Photographer was my favorite forever, because he had decent stats and starting equipment, and I loved farming out Encounters.  But over time and numerous expansions--not to mention Darrell's abhorrent Personal Story--I think Roland the Fed has never steered me wrong.  Even though he's the one responsible for ending Clue Acquisition during Final Battles (because Tibs could never let go of the Nyarlathotep Infinite Protection Loop ;) ), he's got great stats, good equipment (free Ally!), and one of the most welcome Special Abilities of the whole pool.

Ever since he showed up, Glaaki has hated me, and never lets me forget it.  Once you have Dunwich and King in Yellow, it becomes very rare that anyone can prevent the Terror Track from moving completely, and sometimes it only takes one well-timed Servant to start the item-vaporization avalanche.  Glaaki always seems to be able to steal away my Clues and/or Elder Signs just before I return to Arkham, remove all my weapons while I'm surrounded by Shoggoths and Gugs, and find a way to get the Terrible Experiment out EVERY TIME to threaten Fear Cascade Game Singularity Collapse.  Hard to save the world when all you have is a broken toothpick in your coat. :wacko:

Anyone else want to chime in?

• Schwaig likes this
What was that noise?

#2 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,451 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:01 AM

Hi Jgt ;)

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#3 Dr.Faust

Dr.Faust

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:36 PM

Roland also is my personal favorite when it comes to the Investigators. He was the first one I played, and moreover, he was the first one I had won with in a completely solo game. What stuck to me about him was more than just his abilities and stats--it was the complete feel of the character in-Mythos. He was just the right mix of horror and pulp to make him feel perfect for the setting. What is more, love his artwork. In fact, I like him so much, it's his token I use for when I play as the original Investigator I made to represent myself--unless Rolan and I are working together, of course! XD

As for most reviled Ancient One--I think it's Atlach-Naka. I hate. HATE Gate Bursts. HAAAATE. In fact, I find it to be the single most despised mechanic in the game. It's essentially a means to pad out a game that is already a very long romp in most situatins and having no way to avoid them at ALL makes it all the more vile. I never play with Gate Bursts. Ever. Which is why I never play with Atlach. Ever.

• Schwaig likes this

#4 Schwaig

Schwaig

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:12 AM

At the moment, my favorite is Daisy Walker. With her extremely useful abilities, a rather easy personal story and the possibility to pick every spell there is she is just awesome. She can adapt to almost every situation and no matter what setup gave you, she will complete your equipment. 

The best combo is her taking Arcane Insight, in my opinion. Doing this you can take the game to another level. It is not anymore: 'Oh, lets see what the Ancient One does and respond to it.' Its: 'We know what you are gonna do and we are going to stop it'. 

That is for gameplay. Thematically I have not yet decided whom I like most. There are some candidates including Silas Marsh, Diana Stanley, Wendy Adams, Rex Murphy, Tommy Muldoon, Roland Banks, etc … just too many.

If I think about the Ancient Ones, I don't have an arch-nemesis there right now. Most times I / we lost, I can trace it too some strategical / tactical mistakes or really great bad luck in key situations. But maybe someday there will be one.

For now I can only list some AOs that annoy me because of their mechanics. There is Ctugha for example, who's ability is just a constant pain in the neck of 2/3 of all investigators. But thats okay, still way better than Rhan-Tegoth! And also Nyogtha with his tendrils, that is just so boring.

• Julia likes this

#5 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,451 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:43 AM

As for the investigators: the one I like the most is Darrell. I really like the theme and the idea behind it, and I'm always happy when I have to play him. Another one I really like is Mark (just talking about personal taste, not their impact on games, beware): desperate personal story, and an unstoppable character.

As for the AOs: they are not my nemesis, I'm theirs :devil:

• The Professor, Dr.Faust and Schwaig like this
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#6 Dr.Faust

Dr.Faust

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:40 AM

XD Julia, I firmly believe that if you lose a game at this point, it's not because the Ancient Ones were too devious for you--they just got lucky. XDDD

• Julia likes this

#7 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,451 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 08:30 AM

:laughter: at the moment, they're safe in their shelter (three months without Arkham and no chances to have it on my table any soon)

#8 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 02:07 PM

jgt,

It's great to see you out here. As to my favorite Investigator ~ it's a toss-up between Michael McGlen and Harvey Waltets. Both are good solid Investigators, made even bettrr by their Personal Stories. As for nemisis AO, I have to agree with Dr. Faust with Atlach-Nacha, but where my fellow-Arkhamaniac doesn't like Gate Bursts, I personally like the thr game mechanic, but with A-N, it's a greater challenge to score a victory.

Cheers,
Joe

Edited by The Professor, 27 March 2014 - 02:09 PM.

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS