Intolerant Priest and new Melisandre

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Erwo the Elder

Erwo the Elder

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:42 PM

If I have three Asshai in play and Intolerant Priest in my dead pile can I use Melisandre's ability to put him back into play? His ability is passive and with three Asshai under my control he gains the holy crest. My thought is that he then can be put into play from the dead pile with Mel's abilty. 

Thoughts anyone? 

My belief why this can happen. Cards in the dead and discard pile don't turn off their passive abilities. Look at Theon or even the Knight of Summerhall. So, with this in mind the Intolerant Priest is gaining a Holy crest.

#2 doulos2k

doulos2k

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:07 PM

I'm afraid not. The only reason Theon's passive works in the dead pile is because his text explicitly says it does. Text on a card that is not in play is only active when there is text that allows it (either explicitly like with Theon or due to rules with things like Ambush).

Intolerant Priest will not have a holy crest in the dead pile. 

Austin AGoT Players

http://agotaustin.com

#3 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,411 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:48 PM

Specifically:

(3.14) Out of Play States

In general, card effects on non-event cards in a player's hand, deck, shadows area, discard pile, and dead pile are not considered to be actionable unless the card specifically states that it can be triggered while in its out-of-play state.

#4 Erwo the Elder

Erwo the Elder

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:14 PM

As I thought Ktom and doulos2k. Couldn't remember the actual rule, thanks for pointing it out ktom.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS