Text boxes

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 IXIMrPinkIXI

IXIMrPinkIXI

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 02:27 PM

If I blank a location text box does that include gold and influence?

#2 doulos2k

doulos2k

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 02:30 PM

Yes. 

Austin AGoT Players

http://agotaustin.com

#3 HastAttack

HastAttack

• Members
  • 364 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:54 AM

I'm sure you are correct doulos ...

The other day I was told the gold / influence does not get blanked :( ... I find it harder to remember 50/50 situations

I learnt that if something has an outline then it is not part of the card text - e.g. crests and icons

I think one confusion is that for gold and influence, the symbols have a drop-shadow but not an outline

#4 doulos2k

doulos2k

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:03 AM

I went for quite a while believing they didn't get blanked due to that drop shadow. But here's the definitive source:

(3.9) Icons in the Text Box 
Gold modifiers, influence, and initiative 
modifiers are not called out with an outline, 
and are therefore a part of a card's text box. 
Challenge icons and crests are differentiated 
from the text box of a card by a solid outline, 
and therefore are not considered a part of that 
card's textbox.

Austin AGoT Players

#5 Ratatoskr

Ratatoskr

• Members
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:38 AM

I really, really wish they'd change that stupid FAQ entry. That "outline" that's mentioned there refers to the old graphical layout of the cards that was used up to Winter Edition of the old CCG. It has no meaning whatsoever in the context of the new design they introduced with Iron Throne Edition in 2006 (!).

#6 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,769 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:29 AM

Um... actually, that entry came AFTER the switch to the Iron Throne graphic format - the same one that is still in use. In the prior format, the text box was fully set off and framed itself, rather than being everything under the picture on the card. When you look at that format, it is very clear that icons, crests (which share the same graphic position as the Doomed symbol), etc. are outside the text box, but income/initiative/influence icons inside.

#7 Ratatoskr

Ratatoskr

• Members
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:05 AM

Um... actually, that entry came AFTER the switch to the Iron Throne graphic format - the same one that is still in use. In the prior format, the text box was fully set off and framed itself, rather than being everything under the picture on the card. When you look at that format, it is very clear that icons, crests (which share the same graphic position as the Doomed symbol), etc. are outside the text box, but income/initiative/influence icons inside.

In that case, I don't understand what this "outline" is that FAQ 3.9 speaks of. I always thought this "outline" was the frame used in the old, pre-ITE graphic format. If that's not the case, I really don't understand what this "outline" is that gold, INI and INF modifiers are supposed to lack but that challenge icons and crests are supposed to have.

#8 doulos2k

doulos2k

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:38 AM

While I understand that they're not obvious, but if you take another look at the cards, you will see a solid black outline on the challenge icons and a solid outline on the crests (e.g. the Noble crest has a solid green outline). The gold, influence, and initiative modifiers do not have an outline at all (though they do have a slight drop shadow as mentioned previously).

Austin AGoT Players

#9 doulos2k

doulos2k

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:39 AM

I'm not saying this is a good enough representation. I'm just saying it is actually there.

Austin AGoT Players

#10 Ratatoskr

Ratatoskr

• Members
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:51 AM

I'm not saying this is a good enough representation. I'm just saying it is actually there.

Yeah, well, now that you mention it, I *may* be able to make it out. I may also be imagining things. I'm not sure if you actually have to be a graphic designer or printing professional or some such to easily make this out, but I am sure it helps. ;)

#11 doulos2k

doulos2k

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:54 AM

And this is why we get the question "are these in the text box" all the time. Because it's so easy to see. Oh wait...

• Zordren likes this

Austin AGoT Players

#12 Khudzlin

Khudzlin

• Members
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:33 AM

Crests have appeared in Iron Thrones in their current position. The doomed icon existed only in the Winter block and was in the bottom-left corner, down and left from the power icon.

#13 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,769 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:01 PM

My mistake. They were on the bottom right in my memory, not the bottom left. And memory plays tricks on the best of us.

Point remains, though: pre-ITE, the text box was an actual box, not the entire lower half of the card. The current FAQ entry came post-ITE, when "text box" stopped being such a literal term.

#14 Khudzlin

Khudzlin

• Members
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 07:06 AM

Yeah, the text box was smaller because of that explicit border.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS