Where/when to spend trophies

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 sorednax

sorednax

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:04 AM

Can an experienced player please provide me with a comprehensive list of when and where one can spend monster and gate trophies? What can you get? when do you spend them? etc?

thanks in advance.

#2 Dr.Faust

Dr.Faust

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:22 AM

There's a couple of 'Shops' that allow for this kind of thing, actually;

Ma's Boarding House = 10 Toughness of Monster Trophies OR 5 Toughness of Monster Trophies and 1 Gate Token OR 2 Gate Tokens = 1 Ally

South Church =  5 Toughness of Monster Trophies or 1 Gate Token = 1 Blessing on any player of your choice

Science Building (As long as there is no Gate open on it) = 10 Toughness of Monster Trophies OR 5 Toughness of Monster Trophies and 1 Gate Token OR 2 Gate Tokens = 2 Clue Tokens

River Docks = 5 Toughness of Monster Trophies or 1 Gate Token = $5

There are also special circumstances that may allow you to spend them, such as Encounters, Events etc.

Some Investigators can spend them as well;

Yorick = Spend Monster Tokens instead of Clue tokens on a 1-for-1 basis

Tony Morgan = Once per turn, while in a street area, Tony may spend one monster trophy to gain money equal to that monster's toughness.

• The Professor likes this

#3 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,588 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:04 AM

To clarify Faust's answer: at the appropriate location, you can do one of these things once. You can't, for example, trade in two gates for four clues at the Science Building. That would require two separate turns.

#4 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,301 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 11:10 AM

And remember special encounters are resolved instead of having an encounter at the location.

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#5 Dr.Faust

Dr.Faust

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 11:17 AM

Ah right forgot to clarify that point about per-turning it! XD

There are some really potent encounters if you have a Gate Token or two. I believe it's either the Magick Shoppe or the Curiosity Shop in particular.

#6 sorednax

sorednax

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:13 PM

wow, thanks guys.

#7 DarkRaven47

DarkRaven47

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 02:46 PM

It's nice to see this forum full of friendly people. I have a question to add: what should you spend gates/monsters on? I think being blessed is very useful but is it ever worth it to become the deputy for example? What strategically are the best things to spend them on?

#8 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 04:40 PM

DarkRaven47,

I'm with. you on the Blessings, but I'm an "all expansion" kinda guy who plays like it's an RPG. Those who play more of a tactical-cum-strategic game will tell you to eschew all other things, but Clue tokens. While I disagree on a philosophical basis, you can't argue with their sense of purpose.

Cheers,
Joe

Edited by The Professor, 28 March 2014 - 04:41 PM.

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#9 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,301 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:00 PM

Indeed, clue tokens are a key to victory, but Blessings are extremely important as well, especially when the nastier gates from the Lurker are in play or you need to uncurse someone (hey, Rex, how's life?). I never waste trophies on other things such as the River Docks, unless I'm desperate.

• Wolfgar likes this
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#10 jgt7771

jgt7771

Saving the world from cosmic evil since 2006

• Members
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 05:16 AM

It usually depends on the particulars of each game.  The Deputy will always make money, and sometimes it's way easier to get out to another board with the Patrol Wagon.  (Plus, fun!)  But maybe it's too little of a commodity in the mid-to-late game when you can actually afford it.

Unless you're playing Tommy: he almost always becomes Deputy. :D

What was that noise?

#11 Schwaig

Schwaig

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 03:22 PM

I would rather buy allies than blessings. Unless in special situations, like breaking the curse for Rex.

#12 Jake yet again

Jake yet again

• Members
  • 650 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 05:18 AM

Blessing at the end of the game, when your last gate divers are in the OW. you can't do much else to help them, but the blessings will improve their chances of surviving the OW and sealing the gates.

Lovecraft Country Horror - A completely FREE Big Box expansion for Arkham Horror, exploring the minor locations of the Cthulhu Mythos. Contains: Lovecraft Country Board, 16 Investigators, 4 Ancient Ones, 16 Skills, 32 Common Items, 24 Unique Items, 10 Spells, 16 Music of Erich Zann cards, 76 Leads, 4 Allies, 32 Monsters, 24 Injuries and Madnesses, 54 Mythos Cards, 41 Outer World Encounters, 52 Location Encounters for each Neighbourhood.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS