Smuggler build

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 See Threebilbo

See Threebilbo

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:51 PM

So I want to play more Smugglers, but I'm not a huge Vehicle fan (nothing in particular, I just think Characters are cooler), and besides I didn't really want to play Sleuth Scouts (I've tried the deck and it's fun, but not really how I want to play).  So I basically took out my Anoat Sector sets from the Sleuth deck I had and put in Chewie:

2x Questionable Contacts

2x Wookiee Life Debt

2x Trust Me

2x Asteroid Sanctuary

2x Raise the Stakes

This is really simple, and I'm not honestly sure what I want to be doing with it.  The Undercover Dealings objective looks interesting, but I'm not sure whether or not I wanna put it in.

#2 GroggyGolem

GroggyGolem

• Members
  • 596 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 01:58 AM

My deck is this same setup but replacing Raise the Stakes with Across the Anoat Sector.

Tons of characters and some vehicles that can combo well with Lando and the copies of Swindled.

• KennedyHawk and See Threebilbo like this

Rebels: 3 X-Wing, 1 Y-Wing, 1 A-Wing, 1 B-Wing, 1 YT-1300

Imperials: 5 TIE/LN, 1 TIE/ADV, 1 TIE/IN, 1 Firespray-31

#3 KennedyHawk

KennedyHawk

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 07:51 AM

My deck is this same setup but replacing Raise the Stakes with Across the Anoat Sector.

Tons of characters and some vehicles that can combo well with Lando and the copies of Swindled.

I use a very similar deck to Groggy.

2x Han

2x Chewy

2x Lando

2x Anoat

1x Falcon

1x Raise the Stakes

You end up with 5 resources, 3 swindleds, 5 unblockables (sleuths + blocake), 2 cloudy city operatives.

Chewy Han or Lando with two annoats up can really destroy an objective especially with the targets from Lando's pod. I've taken the 1x Falcon because the objective doesn't help as much as I'd like, I'd much rather flip a raise the stakes than a asteroid sanctuary.

• See Threebilbo likes this

#4 See Threebilbo

See Threebilbo

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:10 AM

Awesome prompt responses, guys.  Thanks!  Time to think.

• GroggyGolem likes this

#5 GroggyGolem

GroggyGolem

• Members
  • 596 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 10:02 AM

Yeah, no problem. I like having 2 of the asteroid sanctuary objective set for the 2 twists of fate and the 2 copies of the falcon. If you play things right, you should not see your falcon get destroyed for quite a while. That leaves the other copy for use in an edge battle, maybe even after you use twist of fate to reset edge stacks.

Rebels: 3 X-Wing, 1 Y-Wing, 1 A-Wing, 1 B-Wing, 1 YT-1300

Imperials: 5 TIE/LN, 1 TIE/ADV, 1 TIE/IN, 1 Firespray-31

#6 Ketricel

Ketricel

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:19 PM

Also you can check out the new article here for simple break down of a few options for a pure smuggler character deck when the new force pack comes out. 

http://www.fantasyfl...s.asp?eidn=4707

#7 JMCB

JMCB

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 02:52 PM

Once the new force pack comes out, I like:

2x Trust Me

2x A False Report

2x Questionable Contacts
2x Wookie Life Debt

2x Asteroid Sanctuary

Trust Me is good against the new Sith set (and it gives you 4 objectives that help against direct damage). People say to cut Han from the list, but I disagree. Weenie rush is HUGE against the Freeholders and can be a great disadvantage. Keeping Han in the list means you're not as weak against that matchup. You could cut one of the copies of Solo for a Renegade Squadron, but I don't think you want to be running that many high cost cards.

Top Tier Gaming, a community dedicated to Star Wars: The Card Game - http://toptiergaming.com
Follow us on Twitter - @toptiergaming
Like us on Facebook - facebook.com/toptiergaming
Streaming games on Twitch - twitch.tv/TeamTopTierGaming

#8 See Threebilbo

See Threebilbo

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 04:57 PM

I agree.  I like Renegade Squadron a lot: very versatile, but it's expensive and its ability is very situational.

#9 Demas

Demas

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 05:21 PM

Questionable Contacts, Trust Me, and Raise the Stakes abilities are tied to the damage (or lack thereof) on the objectives.  In these decks you're going to be playing Swindle, Let the Wookie Win, Bamboozle, etc. anyways.

For these reasons, I'm a proponent of putting one Escape from Ord Mantell in your deck.  When it's out, it's ability to sustain your other key objectives (let you get one more cancel out of Trust Me, reactivate Raise the Stakes just in time, keep the dial from moving, etc) can pressure the Dark Side into having to go after it first and/or over-commiting attackers just to see it gone (DS spreading out attacks for efficiency gives LS a chance to bring them back from the brink with an event-heavy turn).  Having Ord out makes all the events you were going to play anyways that much more efficient.

The rest of the cards aren't bad.  A suite of cards that are very situational but life-savers when those situations arise (but also effortless edge-battle fodder with two cards having 2 force pips).

• Two events to feed the objective: one which can turn a chump blocker into a main-killer (that's free to play but also has 2 force pips making it a solid edge card) and a rare-ish cancel / control card for S&S.
  • The Hauler can be a life-saver when you just need one more unit, black unit damage, or the vehicle trait, but it's mostly dross.
  • The Mission Commander's white objective damage has allowed me to squeeze out last minute wins quite a bit.  The two pips let it hold the force better than many 2 drops and it's special ability allows you to rescue one of your mains on the rare occasion that they're actually captured (the rescue ability synergizes nicely with Falcon).
  • The Covert Sniper is just awesome.  It slays weenies committed to the force and puts pressure on mains that are committed to the force.  His ability is passive, so it works even if exhausted.  (The One-Two Combo of Mission Commander and Covert Sniper makes it very easy for S&S to hold the Force.)  The black tactics is almost always useful.  And so what if he dies?  That's one less control card going after one of your mains.

The cards are too situational to have two (although, imagine two Ords and a Trust Me out) but I've found many S&S builds benefit by having one in there.

With the Force Struggle becoming more prominent in this upcoming cycle, Trust Me as a strong answer to Sith Control, and Scum (with capture and tactics) being an answer to Freeholders, I think this set may become a lot more relevant soon.

Edited by Demas, 20 March 2014 - 05:29 PM.

#10 See Threebilbo

See Threebilbo

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:39 AM

I really like Ord Mantell, actually.  I was thinking of putting it in before, but wasn't sure.  Thinking about it in terms of your post, I'm very, very tempted.

Having trouble sleeping, so I was tinkering with the deck a few minutes ago.  I took out the Raise the Stakes and put in:

1x To Arms!

1x Rendar's Wrath

It was just too hard to resist putting in Han's and Chewie's toys when I had them both in the deck already.  Rendar's set has some interesting blocking/attacking setup possibilities, and the man himself has two black objective damage.

I'm going to play around with this for a while and see what happens.  Bossk is in my Scum deck, so I might match up the two and let him and Chewie play together.

#11 See Threebilbo

See Threebilbo

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 05:21 PM

I've tested this a few times against my other decks and, while I like Rendar's Wrath, I frankly don't think I'm good enough at the basics of the game to use it well.  I took it out and put in an Escape from Ord Mantell.  At least it gives me some nice event cancellation and damage removal, which I love with Contacts and Trust Me.  Bring 'Em On looks promising, too.

Also, after a great deal too much coffee, I think I am going to call this build 'smugglesnuggle.' 

#12 OrganicJedi

OrganicJedi

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:21 PM

You don't want to heal your objectives. The threat of False Report with Questionable Contacts at one health or Trust me at two is a huge advantage.

• JMCB, JustinMcBride and KennedyHawk like this

#13 See Threebilbo

See Threebilbo

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:44 AM

Bah, yes, the Freeholders!  Forgot about those guys.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS