Photo

Playing 200 games in a year (or at least trying to)

• Please log in to reply
155 replies to this topic

#141 silverthorn

silverthorn

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 01:54 AM

GAME 116 - PASSAGE THROUGH MIRKWOOD (PROGRESSIVE VERSION)

Heroes: Eowyn, Gimli, Legolas.

Trying the old idea of completing quests using decks from sets created at the time, this deck worked better than I had expected.

Turns (5): 50 + Threat: 35 + Damage: 3 = 88.

GAME 117 - JOURNEY DOWN THE ANDUIN (PROGRESSIVE VERSION)

Heroes: Eowyn, Gimi, Legolas.

Due to a lot of early high threat Locations and a couple of the cards which increase threat for every character who isn't questing (not a fun card when Eowyn was doing the bulk of questing), I hit 48 threat on turn three and Eowyn spent most of her resources from that point paying for Galadhrim's Greetings and towards a couple of late-game Gandalf's to kill off a second Hill Troll who popped up on turn 13. All. in all a real struggle to complete the mission (and Journey isn't even the hardest mission in Core Set).

Turns (14): 140 + Threat: 40 + Damage: 1 - VP: 8 = 173.

Edited by silverthorn, 27 September 2014 - 01:55 AM.

#142 silverthorn

silverthorn

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 04:42 PM

GAME 118 - PASSAGE THROUGH MIRKWOOD (NIGHTMARE)

Hereos: Beregond, Eowyn, Legolas.

This is probably the worst run of luck I've ever had in a game of LOTR LCG. By the end of turn one, Legolas was dead from the unfortunate combination of losing a Defender of Rammas to a Hummerhorns shadow draw which meant that the follow-up attack from a East Bight Patrol was going to kill one of my heroes and the game went downhill from there. I lasted as far as the combat phase of turn two when three enemies killed my other two heroes with undefended attacks. All in all, not my best hour of playing.

#143 silverthorn

silverthorn

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 08:33 AM

GAME 119 - PASSAGE THROUGH MIRKWOOD (NIGHTMARE)

Heroes: Beregond, Haldir of Lorien, Legolas.

This quest was not as difficult as the final score I achieved may make it look. I probably hit every location in the deck, pushing the amount of turns it took to grind through them higher and higher. I also had to do the 'Beorn's Path' option, then hit the Ungolients Spawn o half-way through that.

Turns (14): 140

Threat: 40

VP: 4.

Total: 176.

#144 silverthorn

silverthorn

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 07:24 AM

GAME 120 – PASSAGE THROUGH MIRKWOOD
Heroes: Beregond, Eowyn, Legolas
This deck, going back to one of my old favourites seemed to work well, despite my hitting a unusually low number of enemies. Eowyn quested well and Legolas killed anything which showed up but Beregond had little or nothing to do (I put a Defender of Rammas into play on turn one and he pulled most of the defending duties because I couldn't remember if there was a Shadow effect in standard Passage which destroys defenders or not). The Beorn's Path version of Stage 3B turned into a slog when I was questing heavily but I kept on hitting locations, rendering Legolas as a sub-par quester (I had put a Light of Valinor on him the turn I blew through Stage 2B, which was handy).

Completed Turns (9): 90
Threat: 34.
Damage: 2
VP: 0
Total: 126.

Edited by silverthorn, 05 October 2014 - 01:12 PM.

#145 silverthorn

silverthorn

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 04:30 AM

GAME 121 - A SHADOW OF THE PAST

Heroes: Aragorn (Lore), Eowyn & Glorfindel (Spirit) and Elladan, Elrohir & Legolas

Going back to a working combination of decks for arun through of all six Fellowship quests. The two decks worked well, with Aragorn's heroes questing hard and Legolas's team killing anything which showed up. In the end Gandalf's Delay and Mister Underhill were added to the Campaign Log. After 8 rounds the scores were 115 for Legolas's team to 117 for Aragorn's team.

#146 silverthorn

silverthorn

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 08:26 AM

GAME 122 - A KNIFE IN THE DARK

Heroes: Aragorn (Lore), Eowyn & Glorfindel (Spirit) and Elladan, Elrohir & Legolas

This went badly. I couldn't kill Bin Ferny fast enough and I wound up with 4 Ringwraiths and the Witch-King at Weathertop. Everybody died. I need to either rebuild my decks from the ground up or start over with new hero combos.

#147 silverthorn

silverthorn

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 12:40 PM

I've decided to go back to my old-school decks with the same heroes which is on  http://community.fan...ed-decks/page-2. These were ridiculously good decks so I'll give A Knife In The Dark without changing them and see how they hold up before I make any modifications.

• PsychoRocka likes this

#148 silverthorn

silverthorn

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 01:14 PM

GAME 123 - SHADOW OF THE PAST

Heroes; Aragorn (Leadership), Beravor & Theodred and Dunhere, Eomer & Eowyn.

This combo of heroes seemed to work well. The quest went well and I completed the game in 7 or 8 turns (for some reason the post I posted didn't make it as far as this page). Mister Underhill & Gandalf's Delay were added to the Campaign Pool.

GAME 124 - A KNIFE IN THE DARK

I was swamped at Weathertop. I may have to change the decks a little.

Edited by silverthorn, 16 October 2014 - 01:34 PM.

#149 silverthorn

silverthorn

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 02:38 PM

GAME 125 - A KNIFE IN THE DARK

After the disappointment of the last game this one went a lot better. Everybody had at least one wound on them but no heroes died and I managed to complete the quest. In the aftermath Eowyn gained the Warrior trait and Theodred became a Ranger.

#150 silverthorn

silverthorn

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 03:42 AM

GAME 126 - FLIGHT TO THE FORD

Another game I just won. Again, every hero was wounded and I was lucky to only gain two new Burdens, Overcome By Terror and Panicked, to the Campaign Pool. The problem with these missions has been the high stats on the Nazgul. At least with the Road Darkens there should be less Nazgul to fight.

Edited by silverthorn, 17 October 2014 - 04:21 AM.

• PsychoRocka likes this

#151 PsychoRocka

PsychoRocka

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 03:46 AM

As good as only gaining two is I definitely recommend playing again and getting just the one (or even none) burden. It will help make the entire campaign more managable.

#152 silverthorn

silverthorn

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 04:23 AM

This run through is more a 'darn the consequences' run since I plan to go back to playing solo after this so I probably won't revisit this combo again. Of course chances are that this decision will bite me on the rump before I'm finished the Road Darkens.

• PsychoRocka likes this

#153 silverthorn

silverthorn

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 08:23 AM

GAME 127 - THE RING GOES SOUTH
Heroes: Aragorn (Leadership), Beravor & Theodred and Dunhere, Eomer & Eowyn.
This one was troublesome. I managed to get into Moria (just) but Dunhere was killed by the Watcher in the Water. Added to that, I managed to gain Lust For The Ring as a burden. I'm guessing the luck which has got me through some of the scenarios has turned and it may only get worse.

#154 silverthorn

silverthorn

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:23 AM

GAME 128 - JOURNEY IN THE DARK

Heroes: Aragorn (Leadership), Beravor & Theodred and Dwalin, Eomer & Eowyn.

This one went so badly awry that I nearly threw the towel on three occasions. Eomer sacrificed himself after I had lost Theodred and Dwalin to Orc attacks. Finally, the last three heroes managed to get out of Moria but (due to a colossal miscalculation on my part) managed to complete the level with the Balrog still in play, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. If the game had continued past that turn I would likely have lost either Beravor or Aragorn the next turn, In the aftermath, Overcome By Grief, Grievous Wound, Pursued by the Enemy and Shadow of Fear were added to the Campaign Pool.

#155 gandalfDK

gandalfDK

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:27 AM

You are well under way, but there are not that many days left in 2014. Do you think you'll reach your 'goal'?

‘If more of us valued food and cheer and a game of Lotr Lcg above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.’ – Thorin Oakenshield

#156 silverthorn

silverthorn

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:55 AM

I didn't start until  the 19th March so I should be able to complete at least 200 games by then (although I've had a lot less time to play games recently I'm going to have more time now, unless something else unexpected happens).

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS