Photo

Playing 200 games in a year (or at least trying to)

• Please log in to reply
232 replies to this topic

#221 silverthorn

silverthorn

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 06:35 AM

GAME 183 - PASSAGE THROUGH MIRKWOOD (PROGRESSION)

Heroes: Denethor, Eowyn, Gimli

I decided to go back to playing through all the quests in release order online. The deck I tried worked well as Denethor (as soon as I got a Unexpected Courage on him) filtered out most of the risky cards in the deck.

#222 silverthorn

silverthorn

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 10:52 AM

GAME 184 - THE NIN-IN-ELIPH

Heroes; Gimli, Nori, Thalin

I keep on being drawn back to playing Dwarves, I decided to try a non-Dain deck and it ran a little slowly compared to the others I've tried so I may make a few substitutions before I play Celebrimbor's Secret. Regardless, a win is a win (although the only thing which stopped me threating out was Nori's ability.

#223 silverthorn

silverthorn

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 01:29 PM

GAME 185 - JOURNEY DOWN THE ANDUIN (PROGRESSION)

The deck once again made great use of Denethor's ability to see the top encounter card but I was on turn 22 when I ended the game in a sweet, hard thought victory. I managed to kill the enemies as they came up on stage 2 and the staging area was clear of enemies when I proceeded to stage 3.

#224 silverthorn

silverthorn

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 02:16 PM

GAME 186 - CELEBRIMBOR'S SECRET

Heroes: Bifur, Dain Ironfoot, Nori

This deck made this deck seem a lot easier than I suspect it is. I was on stage 2 on turn 6 when I used Untroubled By Darkness, quested enough to hit 12 progress, then used Lure of Moria to ready everyone, let a Zigil Minor take the hit from Bellach and killed him with nine angry Dwarves.

#225 silverthorn

silverthorn

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 06:06 PM

GAME 187 - ESCAPE FROM DOL GOLDUR (PROGRESSION)

This was a scrappy affair, all my heroes had at best 2 wounds left and I had gotten through a ridiculously high amount of allies. I hit lucky that Gimli was the captured hero and two of the Guarding cards on the objectives were treachery. All in all, I got exceedingly lucky with my draw.

#226 silverthorn

silverthorn

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 11:44 AM

GAME 188 - HUNT FOR GOLLUM (PROGRESSION)

This deck, once again, performed well. It may not work quickly but it gets results once I can get a Unexpected Courage onto Denethor. My final score was

Completed turns (11): 110

Threat: 30

Damage: 2

Total: 142

Edited by silverthorn, 14 December 2014 - 10:00 AM.

#227 silverthorn

silverthorn

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 09:32 AM

Deleted for reasons of rampant stupidity.

Edited by silverthorn, 15 December 2014 - 06:03 AM.

#228 silverthorn

silverthorn

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 06:07 AM

GAME 189 - PASSAGE THROUGH MIRKWOOD

Heroes: Aragon (Lore), Frodo Baggins, Glorfindel (Spirit).

This game went better than I half expected. Getting Song of Wisdom and A Burning Brand in my starting hand made it that I was rarely raising my threat due to using Frodo as designated defender and my decision to put a few cards to draw other cards (three Ancient Mathon and a Daeron's Runes) worked out when I drew 6 cards in turn two.

To sum up, a style of deck I've rarely if ever used worked out a lot better than I thought it would.

My score was:

Completed turns (6): 60

Threat: 28

Damage: 0

VP: 0.

Total Score: 88.

#229 silverthorn

silverthorn

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 12:09 PM

GAME 190 – PASSAGE THROUGH MIRKWOOD

I decided to go back to the beginning and try all the quests with one hero line-up. 

After sending him a message on the forum, MightyRauros gave me permission to use the format he uses for his website while I'm typing these up.

Player Set-Up
Heroes: Beregond, Eowyn, Legolas
Starting Threat: 28.
Starting Hand: Close Call x2, Defender of Rammas, Feint and Galadriel's Handmaiden x2.
Mulligan: Black Arrow, Bofur (Tactics), Galadhon Archer x2 and Galadriel's Handmaiden x2.

Encounter Set-Up
Added Forest Spider to staging area.
Added Old Forest Road to staging area.

Round One
Resource Phase
+1 Beregond (1), +1 Eowyn (1), +1 Legolas (1).
Draw: Bofur (Spirit).

Planning Phase
Play Black Arrow on Legolas.
Play Galadhon Archer (-1 Beregond, -1 Legolas). One damage added to Forest Spider.

Quest Phase
Commit: Eowyn.
Total Willpower: 4.
Reveal: Enchanted Stream.
Total Threat: 5.
Threat increased to 29.

Travel Phase
Travel to Old Forest Road. Refresh Eowyn.

Encounter Phase
Engage Forest Spider.

Combat Phase
Add shadow card to Forest Spider. Beregond defends. Shadow: Eyes of the Forest. Does nothing. No damage inflicted on Beregond.
Eowyn and Legolas attack Forest Spider and kill it. 2 progress placed on Old Forest Road.

Refresh Phase
Refresh all. Increase threat to 30.

Turn Two
Resource Phase
+1 Beregond (1), +1 Eowyn (2), +1 Legolas (1).
Draw: Feint.

Planning Phase
Play Galadriel's Handmaiden (Eowyn -2). Threat reduced to 29.

Quest Phase
Commit: Eowyn, Galadriel's Handmaiden.
Total Willpower: 6.
Reveal: King Spider. Exhausts Galadhon Archer.
Total Threat: 4.
1 progress goes onto Old Forest Road and explores it. 1 progress goes onto stage 1B.

Travel Phase
Travel to Enchanted Stream.

Encounter Phase
Engage King Spider.

Combat Phase
Add shadow card to King Spider. Shadow card: Old Forest Road, no effect. Inflicts no damage on Beregond.
Legolas attacks King Spider for 2 damage.

Refresh Phase
Refresh all, raise threat to 30.

Turn Three
Resource Phase
+1 Beregond (2), +1 Eowyn (1), +1 Legolas (2).

Planning Phase
Play Galadhon Archer (-2 Legolas). 1 damage inflicted on King Spider. Kills King Spider.

Quest Phase
Commit: Eowyn, Galadriel's Handmaiden.
Total Willpower: 6.
Reveal: Ungolient's Spawn. Lowers total willpower to 4.
Total Threat: 3.
1 progress goes onto Enchanted Stream.

Travel Phase
No travel.

Encounter Phase
Encounter Ungolient's Spawn.

Combat Phase
Shadow card played on Ungolient's Spawn. Attacks Beregond. Shadow card: Necromancer's Pass, no effect. 1 damage inflicted on Beregond.
Legolas and both Galadhon Archers attack Ungolient's Spawn. Legolas uses Black Arrow. Inflicts 10 damage on Ungolient's Spawn, killing it. 1 progress goes on Enchanted Stream. Explores it. 1 progress goes onto stage 1B.
Black Arrow goes to victory display. Total VP: 1.

Refresh Phase
Refresh all. Raise threat to 31.

Turn Four
Resource Phase
+1 Beregond (3), +1 Eowyn (2), +1 Legolas (1).
Draw: Citadel Plate.

Planning Phase
Play Citadel Plate on Beregond (Beregond -2).
Play Galadriel's Handmaiden (Eowyn -2). Threat reduced to 30.

Quest Phase
Commit: Eowyn, 2x Galadriel's Handmaiden.
Total Willpower: 8.
Reveal: Chieftain Ufthak.
Total Threat; 2.
6 progress placed on stage 1B. Completes stage. Move to stage 2B.

Travel Phase
No travel.

Encounter Phase
Engage Chieftain Ufthak.

Combat Phase
Shadow card placed on Chieftain Ufthak. Attacks Beregond. Shadow card: Black Forest Bats. No effect. Inflicts 1 damage on Beregond.
Legolas and both Galadhon Archers attack Chieftain Ufthak, inflicting 4 damage.

Refresh Phase
Refresh All. Raise threat to 31.

Turn Five
Resource Phase
+1 Beregond (2), +1 Eowyn (1), +1 Legolas (2).
Draw: The Galadhrim's Greeting.

Planning Phase
Play Bofur (Tactics) (Beregond -1, Legolas -2).
Exhaust Bofur (Tactics) to draw Spear of the Citadel.
Play Spear of the Citadel on Beregond.

Quest Phase
Commit: Eowyn, 2x Galadriel's Handmaiden.
Total Willpower: 8.
Reveal: East Bight Patrol.
Total threat: 3.
5 progress added to stage 2B. Explored. Random stage 3B= Beorn's Path.

Travel Phase
No travel.

Encounter Phase
Encounter East Bight Patrol.

Combat Phase
Add shadow card to Chieftain Ufthak and East Bight Patrol. Chieftain Ufthak attacks a Galadhon Archer. Shadow card: Mountains of Mirkwood. No effect. Galadhon Archer killed. East Bight Patrol attacks Beregond. Shadow card: Necromancer's Reach. No effect. No damage inflicted.
Legolas and surviving Galadhon Archer attack Chieftain Ufthak and kill him. 2 progress added stage 3B.
Chieftain Ufthak added to victory display. Total VP: 5.

Refresh Phase
Refresh all. Raise threat to 32.

Turn Six
Resource Phase
+1 Beregond (2), +1 Eowyn (2), +1 Legolas (1).
Draw: Gandalf.

Planning Phase
Play Gandalf (Beregond -2, Eowyn -2, Legolas -1).

Quest Phase
Commit: Eowyn, Legolas, 2x Galadriel's Handmaiden, Gandalf
Total Willpower: 13.
Reveal: Forest Gate.
Total threat: 2.
11 progress placed on stage 3B. Stage completed and quest completed.

This deck went well, despite my not drawing 2 or 3 supposedly key cards. My final score was:

Complete turns (5): 50
Threat: 32
Damage: 2.
VP: 5.
Total score: 77.

Edited by silverthorn, 18 December 2014 - 09:20 AM.

#230 silverthorn

silverthorn

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 09:22 AM

GAME 191 - PASSAGE THROUGH MIRKWOOD

Heroes: Celeborn, Elrond and Galadriel & Haldir of Lorien, Legolas and Mirlonde.

Using the decks from the Second Breakfast articles I tried the easiest quest in the game. The game went well, although I hit a ridiculous amount of locations and the decks seemed to work well together. All in all, a decent start.

#231 silverthorn

silverthorn

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 09:29 AM

GAME 192 : PASSAGE THROUGH MIRKWOOD

For this game I decided to try a variation on my most-used hero selection (Beregond, Eowyn, Legolas), substituting Spirit Glorfindel for Legolas. This gave me a starting threat of 24.

My starting hand was Defender of Rammas x2, Elrond's Counsel, Gondorian Shield, Light of Valinor and Unexpected Courage. This gave me pretty much all the high-priority cards I wanted.

Quest set-up consisted of placing Forest Spider and Old Forest Road.

Turn one began with me adding a resource to all my heroes before drawing Northern Tracker.

During planning I played Gondorian Shield on Beregond before I paid 1 resource from Glorfindel to play Light of Valinor on Glorfindel.

In the quest phase I committed Glorfindel before playing Elrond's Counsel to add a willpower and reduce my threat to 21. I then committed Eowyn for a total of 8 willpower.

In addition to the 3 threat currently in the staging area I drew another Forest Spider for a total of 5 threat. 3 progress was placed on stage 1B. 

In the travel phase I travelled to Old Forest Road, using it's ability to ready Eowyn.

In the encounter phase I optionally engaged one of the Forest Spiders, who immediately attacked Beregond. The shadow card was Enchanted Stream which did nothing. The attack did no damage and Eomer and Glorfindel attacked for 4, doing 3 damage.

At the end of the turn I refreshed everything before increasing my threat to 22.

Turn two commenced with me adding a resource to all my heroes before drawing Song of Travel.

In the planning phase I paid 2 resources from Beregond to play Defender from Rammas. I then paid 2 resources from Eomer to play Unexpected Courage on Beregond.

During the quest phase I committed Eomer and Glorfindel for 7 willpower. In addition to the 2 threat in the staging area I drew Great Forest Web for 4 total threat. I made 3 progress, exploring Old Forest Road.

In the travel phase I travelled to Great Forest Web, exhausting Beregond, then refreshing him with Unexpected Courage.

After declining to engage the Forest Spider in the staging area, the other Forest Spider attacked Beregond again. The shadow card was Old Forest Road, for no effect and the Spider did no damage. In return Glorfindel and Eowyn attacked for 4 killing it.

At the end of the turn I refreshed everything before raising my threat to 23.

At the start of turn 3 I added a resource to all my heroes before drawing Northern Tracker.

During planning I paid 1 resource from Glorfindel to play Song of Travel on Beregond.

In the quest phase I committed Eomer and Glorfindel for a total of 7 willpower. In addition to the 2 in the staging area I drew East Bight Patrol for a total of 5 threat. 2 progress was placed on Great Forest Web, exploring it.

Skipping the travel phase I was forced to engage the East Bight Patrol, who attacked Beregond. The shadow card was Dol Goldur Orcs, who increased the Patrol's attack to 4, which meant that they still did no damage to Beregond.

I then attacked the Patrol with Glorfindel, killing them.

At the end of the turn I refreshed my cards before raising my threat to 24.

Turn four began with me adding a resource to all my heroes before drawing Gandalf (Core).

Planning began with me paying 2 resources from Beregond to play another Defender of Rammas and 2 resources each from Eomer and Glorfindel to play Northern Tracker.

In the quest phase I committed Eowyn, Glorfindel and the Northern Tracker for a total 8 threat. In addition to the 2 threat in the staging area I drew The Necromancer's Reach, which added 1 damage to Eowyn and the Northern Tracker. The total threat was 2 so I added 6 progress to stage 1B, exploring it and moving onto stage 2B.

After skipping the travel phase I engaged the Forest Spider, who attacked Beregond. The shadow card was Chieftain Ufthak, for no effect. The Forest Spider did no damage. Glorfindel and the 2 Defenders of Rammas attacked for 5, killing the Spider.

At the end of the turn I refreshed all my cards before raising my threat to 25.

To kick off turn 5 I added a resource to each hero before drawing Gondorian Shield.

With nothing to do in the planning stage I committed Eowyn and Glorfindel as well as the Northern Tracker before discarding the Gondorian Shield in my hand for a total of 9 willpower.

With nothing in the staging area I drew another Forest Spider for a total of 2 threat. 7 progress was made, more than enough to explore stage 2B. I had to select a stage 3B and I hit lucky drawing “Beorn's Path”. 

Skipping the travel phase the Forest Spider attacked Celeborn. The shadow card was Great Forest Web, for no effect. The spider did no damage and Glorfindel and the 2 Defenders Of Rammas attacked for 5, killing it.

At the end of the episode I refreshed all the cards and raised my threat to 26.

Turn six started with me adding a resource to all my heroes before drawing Feint. I proceeded to pay 2 resources each from Eomer and Glorfindel to play another Northern Tracker.

In the quest phase I committed Eowyn, Glorfindel and 2 Northern Trackers for a total of 9 willpower. With a empty staging area I drew Dol Goldur Beastmaster for a total of 2 threat. 7 progress was placed on stage 3B.

After skipping travel the Dol Goldur Beastmaster attacked Beregond. The shadow cards were Enchanted Stream and Mountains of Mirkwood for no effect and the attack did no damage before Beregond refreshed by exhausting Unexpected Courage.

Beregond, Glorfindel and the 2 Defenders of Rammas then attacked, killing the Dol Goldur Beastmaster before I ended the turn by refreshing all my cards and raising my threat to 27.

Turn 7 began with me adding resources before drawing Arwen Undomiel. 

During planning I paid 1 resource each from Glorfindel and Eowyn to play Arwen Undomiel.

In the quest phase I committed Eowyn, Glorfindel, Arwen Undomiel and 2 Northern Trackers for 11 willpower. With the staging area still empty I drew Hummerhorns for a total of 1 threat. 10 progress was made, far more than I needed to complete stage 3B and win the game.

The final score was:

Completed turns (6): 60
Threat: 27
Damage: 1
Total Score: 88

#232 silverthorn

silverthorn

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 04:15 PM

GAME 193: PASSAGE THROUGH MIRKWOOD (PROGRESSION)
Heroes: Eowyn, Gimli, Legolas

Trying this with a new hero combo for my efforts using only cards from the core set. Things went well after a less than brilliant start. After picking up a good few wounds and losing 5 events to one card I managed to get a win. My score was as follows:

7 completed rounds = 70

Total combined Threat = 37

Total damage on Heroes = 6

Cost of dead Heroes = 0

Victory points = 0

TOTAL SCORE = 113

#233 silverthorn

silverthorn

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:28 AM

GAME 194: JOURNEY DOWN THE ANDUIN (PROGRESSION)

Heroes: Eowyn, Gimli, Legolas

For this game I was blighted with some of the worst card draw I've ever had to suffer through. Having to use a Will Of The West with no cards in my discard pile (just in the hope of maybe getting some decent cards) barely solved it. I managed to barely win the game.

14 completed rounds = 140
Total combined Threat = 48
Total damage on Heroes = 7
Cost of dead Heroes = 0
Victory points = 8
TOTAL SCORE = 187

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS