• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 greystroke

greystroke

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 07:33 PM

Ok as the topic says I am building a technician and need advice on build type

I was going to have 3 martial arts 2 basic one advanced as well my weapons most likely full swords maybe pistols for fun and style purposes I was going to get at the start

unconnected techniques is this worth it or should I just climb the tree ?

with a high end artefact as my GM is ok with as good as I can get there

and with some bad stuff to add quick reflexes or maybe splurge and get natural learner social so I can go to functions and not look out of place  

now with Ki I was going down the natural

use of Ki

Ki control

use of necessary energy

presence extrusion

aura extension

inhumanity

Zen

all the energy armour side of things

with increased damage and physical shield   . Obviously it will be a work in progress

working towards maybe using five different techniques schools ideas is this practical I wont be starting level one unsure what level at the moment but this is really to get an idea if I can build with the blocks I am laying

#2 Kushala

Kushala

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:36 PM

A couple suggestions I would make is don't look into going into multiple Ki Technique trees unless you are just picking and choosing from them using unconnected techniques, even then I would suggest looking into just building a tree that fits your character if there isn't already one available either in the books or the technique thread on this forum. For a technician the Ki Techniques they learn are often the defining feature of how they fight since they're able to use them so much more often than other characters.

The only other thing I would say is to choose at most 1 base and 1 advanced martial art, though I wouldn't use them personally if you are looking to go into Ki. Developing martial arts outside of Tao is expensive, especially if you want to be able to use weapons with them as you need to buy a module to allow it for the weapon chosen for each martial art you learn.

Other than those suggestions it would come down to how you decide to build the Secondary Abilities and that is very much dependent on how you character acts, so can't offer too much there. At any rate I hope this helped a little and good luck with it.

#3 VoidCabbage

VoidCabbage

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:02 PM

If you really want a martial art, Taekwondo is great in combination with weapons. I agree with Kushala that choosing a host of martial arts and ki trees will be unadvisable, especially if you are new at playing technicians. Building your own ki tree is fun (but difficult at first) and there is another thread on this forum all about ki trees other players have built. That is a good place to look for advice and/or feedback on trees you are making or plan to make.

Ki Abilities are fun and great though Inhumanity and Zen are much more useful later down the line when you will be hitting the human caps more often than just a bunch of open rolls in a row. Maybe consider creating a ki tree of cheap (MK-wise) techniques so you can have more MK to spend on all those fun ki abilities.

#4 greystroke

greystroke

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:21 PM

well on the martial arts front was most likely Tai Chi and Kung Fu as it could utilise long swords with Velez at the end

on the techniques front it was going to be a real mishmash  like Magus abstergos -expello  to things like the fallen angle tree with Dedisco Deus Cross to the Ormus tree with Sanctus and getting requiem or am I really doing something silly

#5 VoidCabbage

VoidCabbage

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:04 PM

The other issue with using multiple techniques from different trees is the difficulty of having their accumulations work out. First take a look at Expello: it has uses five stats, two of which seem to be added in as a second thought. Jump to your next few and get to Requiem which uses six stats. Sure you have a lot of attack abilities, but will you really need all of those in a fight? On top of your martial arts and swords and pistols, let alone the -25 penalty for switching weapons.

And if you are a fighter, Sanctus's predetermined defense (aka, no dice rolls, this is the final value) of 180 is quickly over shadowed. The small 400 LP shield can only take a couple hits before being eliminated, especially since it has no regeneration.

Usually ki trees are built to compliment the different powers in the tree and are nice enough to use the same stats for accumulation. Otherwise you might have to shell out around 80dp to get 3 in every accumualtion (not very much for those high cost powers) or 160dp for 5 in all of them, all of which gets reduced to half unless you spend the whole combat turn concentrating.

Personally, I would suggest not jumping around and trying to do a lot of things until you have played a technician or two.

#6 Latoshi

Latoshi

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:38 PM

Well this is my opinion on a technician. I feel I should post becuase technician is literally my favorite class to use in Anima. Anyways, there are two ways I tend to build technicians. Technique technicians and magnus technicians. Technique technicians tend to build on a central point of technique use so i build them with the thought in mind that they won't have very high high attack and defense, but they will make up for it with their techniques and abilities down the road. Magnus technicians are quite different, in that, a magnus technician will focus on attack defense and ki abilities while carrying out little effort regarding techniques. This is a bit balanced out because once they start taking their magni they will halt their attack and defense progression.

As for martial arts that is a touchy one. Tai chi is really good if you plan to fight unarmed as it makes use of power, which in my opinion is a very good stat to have for a technician, and it also increases your MK total which is also great. But it looses meaning if you plan to fight using a weapon. If you plan to use a weapon Tae Kwon Do is a very sound way to go as it gives you that additional attack to use. There are also other sound decisions, there are almost limitless concepts when it comes to technique technicians because they can do nearly anything. You can easily make a grappling character who uses techniques to amplify the brutality of his full attack blows. or you could make a kempo character who uses techniques to unleash a gatling gun worth of attacks in a short period to devastate defenses. In my honest opinion there are many MANY ways to build a technician, it is probably the most versitile class in the game (excluding the obvious freelancer).

As for Ki techniques they are daunting at first. I suggest using the ki technique thread here on the forums to test trees. The good people here will help you work out the bugs and make the techniques viable. Everything is honed with practice and building techniques is no exception. As for pulling from multiple trees......... That can be troublesome as different trees are built with completely different mentalities in mind. There are also limiting factors such as if a technique tree uses elemental binding. Because if that is the case all techniques in the tree that follow it must take that disadvantage as well, this alone could cuase problems. Another issue is the Ki cost spread, chances are you will not have amazing accumulations at first, this is a given, and if you spread yourself to thin you may find yourself lacking late game. If you are making a technician for the first time i suggest focusing on 2-3 ki related stats to base your techniques off of. These will be the basis of what you increase when you spend DP. Personaly I urge you to try and make techniques for yourself, as VoidCabbage stated before building them is incredibly fun. You just have to be willing to familiarize yourself with them.

As for ki abilities I feel I must urge this. ZEN is not an immediate must. I would suggest taking zen around level 9 or 10. Inhumanity is understandable at earlier levels but Zen is pushing it a bit far. Presence extrusion and Aura extension are really good picks so that you can damage those pesky spirits and bypass those damage barriers. Energy armor is good, but so is absorption of energy.... considering you can just anull energy damage, that are not physical of course. It is all based on how you like to play.

I hope that this helped and I hope it is not so wordy that I scare you off. You can PM me or just reply to this post if you have any questions me or any of the other good people on this forum are sure to help. Cheers~

People are not failures simply because they try and fail.

Only when they fail and give up have they truely failed.

#7 greystroke

greystroke

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 12:00 PM

well thank very much for all the help guys looks like I will have to pull my horns in a bit and I did ditch the 180 fixed defence technique as it was useless after short time as suggested also a slight reduction in my martial arts ideas as they were very much a secondary thing for if I was without my long swords as I just have to duel weld

now more advice what sort of number should I aim for on accumulation and total Ki say at level 1 then 5 and 10 give me a good ball park as there appears to be nothing I can get lead off unlike mages as they stated a few and therefore I would know what to beat ?

#8 Latoshi

Latoshi

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 01:45 PM

that really depends on your technique tree.

There is little to nothing more i can say on that. It is about balancing your ki techs with your accumulations to round out your character

People are not failures simply because they try and fail.

Only when they fail and give up have they truely failed.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS