new player otherworld encounter question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 beaukane

beaukane

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 05:23 AM

While playing my first game a encountered a card with the following text.

You may choose to try and infiltrate one of the angled structures. If so, make a Sneak (-1) check. If you pass, draw 2 Unique Items and keep 1 of them. If you fail, you are lost in time and space.

Does this mean I can choose not to infiltrate and complete the encounter with no check needed ?

#2 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 06:03 AM

beaukane,

First, Welcome to the Carnival! :lol:

Second, yes, you've found the ~5% of cards which allow you a choice, as evidenced by the word "may" in the text.  Take your chances, if you dare ~ you must, however, make the check if you want the item.  Otherwise, you may carry-on without the check.  There's no free lunch...but there's a lovely meatloaf platter at Velma's!

Cheers,

Joe

Edited by The Professor, 17 March 2014 - 06:06 AM.

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#3 jgt7771

jgt7771

Saving the world from cosmic evil since 2006

• Members
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:04 PM

THE MEATLOAF IS MADE FROM MI-GO!!!  :blink:  MIIIIII-GOOOOO!!!

• The Professor likes this
What was that noise?

#4 Wolfgar

Wolfgar

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 02:10 PM

There are a handful of cards that my gaming group have declared optional. I think the most notable is an encounter where you lever open a stone chest, and if you fail the check, you throw your back out in the attempt. It didn't make sense to us that Harvey would just randomly cripple himself trying to open something obviously heavy - he should be smarter than THAT - so we just said you can try if you want to.

#5 Wolfgar

Wolfgar

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 02:12 PM

THE MEATLOAF IS MADE FROM MI-GO!!!  :blink:  MIIIIII-GOOOOO!!!

Velma needs to stop buying her meat from Tony Morgan.

• The Professor likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS