Encounters that Close Gates

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SemiAddict

SemiAddict

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 11:24 AM

A KH encounter at the Science Building allows a player who passes its check to turn over the top three Mythos cards and choose one.  If the chosen card has an open gate as its gate location symbol, that gate is sealed.

This is obviously not one of the types of encounters referred to in the 12/12 FAQ, which allow the closing of a gate, but neither the taking of a trophy nor the sealing of the gate.  However, it raises a couple of questions:

(1) Since the gate is sealed, may the trophy be taken?  I lean towards yes, since we know that a trophy may even be taken after reading De Vermiis Mysteriis, which only closes a gate without sealing it.

(2) Are the three Mythos cards returned to the top of the deck, or discarded?  I feel that this is not like the use of Mythos cards as a location finder (such as for a Rift or a Servant of Glaaki), and is more like casting an Arcane Insight spell, only that the reward is the sealing of a gate rather than the opportunity to re-arrange the cards.  Therefore, I returned the cards to the top of the deck in the same order as I found them.

Any feedback on this will be appreciated!

#2 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:25 AM

Sure! Here we go:

1. Nope, you cannot take the trophy. Ref: FAQ; pag 3 (emphasys mine):

Some encounters or other card effects state that a gate closes or that the investigator may close a gate if they wish. In such cases, the gate marker is not taken as a trophy, but is instead placed on the bottom of the gate marker stack. This gate cannot be sealed, even if the current player has an Elder Sign, sufficient Clue tokens to seal it, or both.

2. The Mythos are discarded. Ref: FAQ, pag 10:

Q: When a card or other game effect instructs a player to draw a Mythos Card outside of the Mythos Phase, does the card have any effect beyond that described by that specific game effect?
A: No. It is discarded without further effect.

Even though this entry refers to a single Mythos Card, I don't see any problems in considering the three Mythos pool in the same way: they are instructed to be drawn by a game effect and after resolving that effect they are discarded.

Hope this helps :)

JULIA

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#3 Schwaig

Schwaig

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:34 PM

1:

Regarding that the gate may not only be closed but sealed this statement of the FAQ might be not enough. I don't know, but it does not match perfectly. But I cannot give any better advice here. :(

Edited by Schwaig, 16 March 2014 - 04:38 PM.

• Julia likes this

#4 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 05:54 PM

Agreed, Schwaig, it's not perfect for this case, but it's the closest result I've found so far :(

• Schwaig likes this
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#5 SemiAddict

SemiAddict

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 02:14 PM

Julia, you were right on this!  Here's the FFG answer (Daniel Clark):

Even if the specific encounter overrides the rule that encounters cannot seal gates, the gate is still not taken as a trophy. This is true even of Other World encounters. 

If an investigator returns to Arkham through a different gate than the one he or she entered through, and the Other World encounter that returned him or her to Arkham also closed the gate he or she entered through, that gate is not taken as a trophy. However, the new gate that the investigator arrived at can be closed and sealed normally, since the investigator will have an Explored token. 

#6 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 02:50 PM

Thanks for taking time to ask all these questions to the FFG, SemiAddict :)

#7 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:11 PM

...and having the patience to actually receive a response. :P  Seriously, it's great to have someone on the front lines asking these questions.  If you do get a chance, however, the FAQ, while massive, is complete and cogent with 95% of the answers agreed upon by the majority of players.

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS