squad ideas for store champ

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 DarkGuard

DarkGuard

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:39 PM

i am having a hard time coming up with a squad i like. i need a little help =D ( i pretty much have 4 of every ship, 8 ties )

#2 Mace Windu

Mace Windu

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 03:07 AM

What do you prefer imps or scum?

if you like rebels any XXBB build is a solid start, as for imperial im a fan of krassis Trelix + HLC

Rebel Freedom Fighters: 5 Z95, 4 X-Wing, 4 B-Wing, 1 Y-Wing, 2 A-Wing, 1 E-Wing, 1 HWK 290, 1 YT-1300 & 1 YT-2400

Imperial Oppressors: 5 TIE Fighter, 4 TIE Bomber, 4 TIE Interceptor, 1 TIE Phantom, 1 TIE Defender, 2 Firespray, 1 Shuttle & 1 VT-49 Decimator

My YouTube Battle Reports

#3 Traxo

Traxo

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 03:56 AM

How experienced are you?

I am a relativly new player, and really like the dimension Ion Cannon Turrets add to the game.. They are rather easy to use, and add a cool element of control to the game.. The list i plan on playing for my store championship is this:

Gold Squadron+Ion Turret x2

Blue Squadron+FCS+Ion Cannon x2

-Jon

#4 DarkGuard

DarkGuard

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:27 AM

I love ion turrets but they don't go so well when I play at tourneys, I am more of a casual player but generally place in the middle of the tournaments

#5 MrHello

MrHello

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:47 AM

The first tourney I won I ran a simple squad:

Wedge

2x rookies

Blue with HLC.

They start in standard 2X2 formation, but the B only does 1 straight, then a barrel roll for the first two turns.  The opponent can choose to go after the X's (most likely), and the B can take range 3 HLC shots, or if they go for the lone B the X's get to flank.  It's easy to fly, generally fun to fly, there isn't much to keep track of upgrade-wise, and you have a good chance to make a dent in the opponent early in the game because of your dice advantages.  

#6 Stone37

Stone37

• Members
  • 899 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:55 AM

Grey+Ion

Grey+Ion

Biggs

Blue+Adv. Sensors

With this build, you've got the tools to handle just about anything.  Those Ions are going to break up a swarm quick and set up easy kill shots for your B-wing and Biggs.  Biggs is a pain in the butt, and will keep the heat off your B-wing for a bit.  Your B-wing should always get an action, thanks to Adv. Sensors and therefore can make all your shots count.

Want to be a squad of 4s?  No problem.  Replace Biggs with a Red and upgrade your Blue to a Dagger.

#7 Englishpete

Englishpete

• Members
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:58 AM

I like the idea of all PS4 if you are a casual player.

Grey + Ion Turret x 2

Red Squadron Pilot

Dagger squadron Pilot + Adv. Sensors.

It is a solid list, has no must kill targets, is versatile and can bring the hurt.

To every man upon this Earth Death cometh soon or late. And how can a man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers, and the temples of his Gods?
(Horatius: Captain of the Gate)

#8 Stone37

Stone37

• Members
  • 899 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:12 AM

I like the idea of all PS4 if you are a casual player.

Grey + Ion Turret x 2

Red Squadron Pilot

Dagger squadron Pilot + Adv. Sensors.

It is a solid list, has no must kill targets, is versatile and can bring the hurt.

I am currently toying with the idea of swapping out one of the Greys for Roark+Ion.  Then the extra point could be used for a R2 or an Intelligence Agent.  I like the idea of Roark guaranteeing that one of my ships will shoot first.  I call the list "The Fantastic Fours".

Edited by Stone37, 13 March 2014 - 08:13 AM.

• Khyros likes this

#9 Jaden Ckast

Jaden Ckast

• Members
  • 495 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:21 AM

How about:
Outer rim smuggler+Luke gunner+millenium falcon
Wedge+expose
Biggs+r2-f2+stealth device

99 pts

Edited by Jaden Ckast, 13 March 2014 - 08:25 AM.

#10 zathras23

zathras23

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:48 AM

One that gave me fits was:

Dutch w/R5K6 & Ion Turret

Garven

Rookie w/R2

Rookie w/R2

But, as Mace said, XXBB is a good place to start. I might be running the Bloody Knives (2 Red Squad & 2 Dagger Squad w Adv Sensors) this weekend in the store championship in Santa Cruz CA over my normal squad (Luke w/VI, R2D2 & Shield; Wedge w/Swarm & R2; Biggs w/R2F2 & Stealth).

Edited by zathras23, 13 March 2014 - 09:53 AM.

#11 Khyros

Khyros

Advocate of A & E Wings Everywhere

• Members
  • 2,174 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:29 AM

First off, I love Dutch.  Like absolutely love him.  But recently I've started to decide to back away from Dutch and the Gray Squadron back to the Gold.  3F vs 3F only lands about 50% of the time, and with the Ion, I'd much rather have someone else strip the token and then have the ion go through, which increases to ~75% success.  

So I'd stay away from the Biggs Gray Gray Blue, and reverse it to Biggs Dagger Gold Gold.  It also gives you two more points for something else.  But the suggestion to add Roark imo is the best thing to do.  Pull Biggs for a red, pull a Gray for Roark, and then you can leave the other Y as a gray since all of your ships are PS4 and shoot together.  Though I have to wonder if you wouldn't be better off with 1 ion and add another red/dagger... either way is viable though.

• Stone37 likes this

The fleet:  

Spoiler

#12 Stone37

Stone37

• Members
  • 899 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:46 AM

But, as Mace said, XXBB is a good place to start. I might be running the Bloody Knives (2 Red Squad & 2 Dagger Squad w Adv Sensors) this weekend in the store championship in Santa Cruz CA over my normal squad (Luke w/VI, R2D2 & Shield; Wedge w/Swarm & R2; Biggs w/R2F2 & Stealth).

Curious, what is your thought process on giving Wedge Swarm Tactics is when Luke is already an 8 and Biggs is a 6?

#13 Thaanos

Thaanos

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 11:22 AM

This is a squad I ran last Tuesday, played two games and won both. 

Two Gold Squad pilots, each with an Ion Cannon turret, one has R2D2 and the other has R5D8.

Chewbacca flying the Yt-1300, with Expert Handling and anti pursuit lasers.

That totals 99 points. My strategy behind it was to ionize the enemy ships so that they could only move 1 forward, and then manoeuvre the Falcon into place so that they would run into / overlap the Falcon. This causes anti pursuit lasers to trigger, potentially damaging the enemy ship. It also prevents target ship from shooting the falcon, and I try to flank them with the Y-wings, so the enemy ship has no valid targets. Although the Falcon most likely still has a shot on an other ship due to turrets. Following turn I use a manoeuvre that would cause the falcon to overlap the enemy ship(that's already in base to base contact), so he can't move, and then the ionized ship would move one forward, for an other overlap(triggering the anti pursuit lasers again. 

It worked well for me. At one point I had a Tie Advanced and the Lambda Shuttle locked and ionized in contact with the falcon in this manner, causing damage to both, while the only thing that could fire at the Falcon was a tie fighter. That Game I didn't lose a single ship. This list is really fun with asteroids as well, limits the movement for enemy ships even more, because the Falcon essentially becomes an obstacle.

• Stone37 likes this

#14 Stone37

Stone37

• Members
  • 899 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 11:36 AM

This is a squad I ran last Tuesday, played two games and won both. 

Two Gold Squad pilots, each with an Ion Cannon turret, one has R2D2 and the other has R5D8.

Chewbacca flying the Yt-1300, with Expert Handling and anti pursuit lasers.

That totals 99 points. This list is really fun with asteroids as well, limits the movement for enemy ships even more, because the Falcon essentially becomes an obstacle.

I recently ran something similar against a Howelrunner, 4 Academy, and Vader:

ORS+APL x2

Rebel Op+Ion

Rookie

I kept all my ships jammed into the swarm and every time he ran into the ORS the APLs kicked in.  I only lost my Rookie X-wing during the match.

#15 zathras23

zathras23

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 11:39 AM

@Stone....The reason for Swarm Tactics on Wedge is to give Biggs PS9 for shooting...and because I only had 2 points left :P. Since Biggs needs to be at range 1 to protect Wedge it works out fine. Also, with Luke at PS10 from VI, it gives me one shot at 10 and 2 at 9. My firing order is Luke, Biggs and Wedge, usually on one target. Having Wedge shoot last is good because the other 2 have (hopefully) stripped any tokens from the target and given Wedge a naked (and hopefully damaged) target to kill.

However, when the Transport comes out, I may be switching to the following:

Luke as above (though I may drop the shield and put the points somewhere else).

Wedge w/PTL & R2

Janson w/VI

Edited by zathras23, 13 March 2014 - 11:42 AM.

• Stone37 likes this

#16 Stone37

Stone37

• Members
  • 899 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 11:42 AM

@Stone....The reason for Swarm Tactics on Wedge is to give Biggs PS9 for shooting...

That's what I thought, just wanted to make sure I was not missing a dynamic.  The best Defense is a good O-ffense eh?  There is a lot of truth to that.

#17 DarkGuard

DarkGuard

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 03:07 PM

do you think this will work, howl runner with stealth and 4 obsideion. shuttle with death and advanced sensors. 

howl and ties shoot and strip the shields before the shuttle fires where Darth can get a crit in?

#18 DarkGuard

DarkGuard

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 03:08 PM

or Blue + Advanced Sensors

Blue + Advanced Sensors

Blue + Advanced Sensors

Biggs

#19 Revanchist

Revanchist

• Members
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:22 PM

do you think this will work, howl runner with stealth and 4 obsideion. shuttle with death and advanced sensors. 

howl and ties shoot and strip the shields before the shuttle fires where Darth can get a crit in?

Maybe try:

Howl + Determination
5x Academy
Shuttle + FCS + Gunner + EU
Imperial: 5 TIE/ln, 1 TIE/adv, 5 TIE/in, 1 TIE/sa, 2 TIE/d, 1 TIE/ph, 1 Firespray-31, 1 Lambda
Rebel: 3 X-wing, 1 Y-wing, 2 A-wing, 2 B-wing, 1 E-wing, 2 Z-95, 1 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300

"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS