Photo

Does Boba Fetts Scum Affiliation hurt his card?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Goknights12

Goknights12

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:21 PM

I know that Boba Fett really is not a good card, although I am sure that there are ways to use it, but you can't build a deck around him. Does the fact that he is with the Scum affiliation, and thus uses the capture and focus tactic hurt his "character"/card?

I feel as though if you put him in a Navy OS, or something like that he becomes much more likable, or it could just be the ability he has.

• ulyakovalchuk likes this

#2 ScottieATF

ScottieATF

• Members
  • 698 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 01:22 AM

His two HP is his big issue overall.

#3 JMCB

JMCB

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 02:33 AM

He could have been a really good card if his effect was an interrupt - that way when he damaged a character that normally would have been destroyed, he would have captured them instead. That and the two health kind of hurts.

Top Tier Gaming, a community dedicated to Star Wars: The Card Game - http://toptiergaming.com
Follow us on Twitter - @toptiergaming
Like us on Facebook - facebook.com/toptiergaming
Streaming games on Twitch - twitch.tv/TeamTopTierGaming

#4 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,364 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 05:16 AM

I don't think that being scum hurts him, I think that he's an example of what has hurt Scum.

#5 GroggyGolem

GroggyGolem

• Members
  • 751 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:13 AM

Most here will go on about the ineffectiveness of Boba Fett. I for one enjoy using him. He is thematic to his portrayal in the movies. He looks really cool but he never really does anything.

However, he is a solid card to control the force with. Scum needs that. In my opinion, scum is best built to bury enemies in focus tokens, capturing cards when the ability is available. You don't need a large amount of blast damage, just keep defensive 90% of the game.

If you happen to play Mandalorian Armor on Boba, he is a lot better to use for engagements. However, unless the capture effect or Boba's combat icons are needed, continue controlling the force with him.
  • Toqtamish and OhBee like this

Rebels: 3 X-Wing, 1 Y-Wing, 1 A-Wing, 1 B-Wing, 1 YT-1300

Imperials: 5 TIE/LN, 1 TIE/ADV, 1 TIE/IN, 1 Firespray-31

#6 KennedyHawk

KennedyHawk

• Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:16 AM

I think if he was a two drop with lower stats (maybe only one blaster), or had a card that let him strike into combat he'd be great against unblockables. Unfortunately as he is he's not that useful.

#7 GroggyGolem

GroggyGolem

• Members
  • 751 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:24 AM

Depending on how the game is going and how far into the match you are, he is still useful as a blocker/edge battle card. 3 force icon cards are rare in scum&villainy.

Edited by GroggyGolem, 13 March 2014 - 07:25 AM.

#8 KennedyHawk

KennedyHawk

• Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:40 AM

Units with 3 or more orbs:

S&V: 4 units - Boba, Jabba, Slave 1, Outer Rim Space Pirates

Imperial: 5 Units - Motti, Tarkin, Starck, Devastator, Vader

Sith: 4 units - Emperor, Vader, Mara Jade, Vader's Tie Fighter

Neutral: 1 Unit - Anzati Elite

I don't think the cards are any more rare for S&V. The neutral card is in a Sith set so you could stretch it and say that its 4/5/5, not a big difference regardless. I think the main problem is the pod is just not useful in most S&V decks, and if you are splashing him into another affiliation you'd much rather play your own three orb units and shove Boba to the edge.

#9 See Threebilbo

See Threebilbo

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:51 AM

I think he's got too high of a cost for what you get.  Like Scottie said, his health is poor.  I like the fact that he's elite with three force icons, and his capturing ability is neat and thematic, but his combat icons are also not so hot.  It's really a disappointment for one of the most iconic characters in the movies.

#10 GroggyGolem

GroggyGolem

• Members
  • 751 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:07 AM

I don't think the cards are any more rare for S&V. The neutral card is in a Sith set so you could stretch it and say that its 4/5/5, not a big difference regardless. I think the main problem is the pod is just not useful in most S&V decks, and if you are splashing him into another affiliation you'd much rather play your own three orb units and shove Boba to the edge.

Guess I should have been more clear on this. The amount of 3 force icon cards in the Scum and Villainy affiliation that you would be willing to use in an edge battle is rare. Jabba, Slave 1 and the Pirates are more useful than Boba Fett in engagements and in other ways.

I am a big advocate for using Boba Fett. He isn't as bad as most people say.

#11 KennedyHawk

KennedyHawk

• Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:29 AM

Guess I should have been more clear on this. The amount of 3 force icon cards in the Scum and Villainy affiliation that you would be willing to use in an edge battle is rare. Jabba, Slave 1 and the Pirates are more useful than Boba Fett in engagements and in other ways.

I think you are making my point, if I want a 3 force orb scum unit on the board to hold the force I'd much rather have a Jabba or Pirates.

#12 GroggyGolem

GroggyGolem

• Members
  • 751 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:43 AM

I think you are making my point, if I want a 3 force orb scum unit on the board to hold the force I'd much rather have a Jabba or Pirates.

You also stated you think the entire pod is useless in a scum deck. That including it is bad. Have you never thought of including an objective set in your deck to solely use the cards for edge battles? I have. The Serve the Emperor set has a nice 3 force icon unit that doesn't find much play by me. Still useful to drop into an edge battle. 3 force icons and I'm not cautious to use it in that way. The rest of that objective Set has cards I really like.

Most everyone says they find absolutely no use for Boba and his Objective Set. The thing is, there is always a use for something in this game. Boba is 1 cost less than Jabba and provides a way to use the capture effect. He is elite, so committing to the force is OK. He has the amazing tactics icon. The blaster enhancement can be helpful. Outer RIM Smuggler is a 2 cost Unit with a good reaction ability. Aka a decent unit to defend with against sleuths scouts and blockade runners.

#13 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,364 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:20 AM

I think it's better to compare Boba to other 4-cost units than other 3-force icon units.  Let's compare to BotF Mara: less health, worse icon spread (2 edge enabled, 1 normal vs 3 normal), and the abilities arguably come out in Mara's favor as well.  The upcoming Mara in Lure also looks much scarier than Boba.  He's probably more useful than the Anzati Elite, but even that's a close call thanks to their 2 normal tactics icons.  The AT-ATs also cost 4, have more health and shielding and one more combat icon (normal at that) and still have a really useful ability.  The real problem with Boba Fett is that he costs too much for what he is... would look much better if he were a 3-cost card.

#14 OrganicJedi

OrganicJedi

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:22 AM

Yes, but seeing as the game is designed around Objective Sets. I don't think we can look at Boba Fett in a vacuum. His set is what makes him bad. It requires too much in faction external support to be efficient and doesn't synergize well with non-scum sets.

- Boba needs his armor to be effective. Thus, requiring 2 copies of his set and additional card draw effects.

- Bounty Collection and Bespin Exchange are needlessly restricted to "from play". This causes timing issues and leads to unused resources, as it will likely be triggered outside of the deployment phase.

- The pod has no resources. This limits its synergy with out of faction pods and requires others to compensate.

Its really just sad to see Boba and Slave in such a lackluster state while Han and the Falcon are arguably overpowered.

• MacRauri likes this

#15 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:54 AM

- Bounty Collection and Bespin Exchange are needlessly restricted to "from play". This causes timing issues and leads to unused resources, as it will likely be triggered outside of the deployment phase.

I think the idea is that you can have all your resources locked down, capture a card, and then, "Hey look! I can play an event!" Your opponent thought you were out of tricks, but now you have the resources to play key events during their turn.

Well, that's the idea, anyway. In practice, who would ever focus all their resources when they knew there was an event they wanted to play? Capturing is too hit-and-miss to count on getting a capture when you need it.

Edited by Budgernaut, 13 March 2014 - 10:55 AM.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#16 KennedyHawk

KennedyHawk

• Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 12:45 PM

OP: I'm not saying his pod is useless, I'm saying its LESS USEFUL than other pods for a S&V deck. I even recommended using him as a splash or tossing him in the edge battle. As a unit (as in not edge battle card) he is not very useful to a deck.

Yes, but seeing as the game is designed around Objective Sets. I don't think we can look at Boba Fett in a vacuum. His set is what makes him bad. It requires too much in faction external support to be efficient and doesn't synergize well with non-scum sets.

- Boba needs his armor to be effective. Thus, requiring 2 copies of his set and additional card draw effects.

- The pod has no resources. This limits its synergy with out of faction pods and requires others to compensate.

Its really just sad to see Boba and Slave in such a lackluster state while Han and the Falcon are arguably overpowered.

I've found him not terrible as a splash as the OP has eloquently put. He's a great unit to toss into the edge battle, adding 3 health to Vader/Palp/Motti can be clutch and the free unit damage enhancement isn't terrible. Outer rim hunter works great in navy decks, and the event. Sheesh, that event what a waste.

Edited by KennedyHawk, 13 March 2014 - 12:51 PM.

#17 doctormungmung

doctormungmung

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 01:10 PM

... and the event. Sheesh, that event what a waste.

In the right decks, this event is great.  Think playing Captured for free. 

#18 KennedyHawk

KennedyHawk

• Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 02:49 PM

I think every card can be great.

With two copies of captured in your deck and two copies of bounty collection I can't imagine that combo coming off very well.

I wouldn't consider captured free it it costs you two cards in your hand either. I suppose you could hold it and play it after you refresh so you still draw to a full hand but that seems unlikely to play out or build a deck around. I still think the best way to play scum is to NOT focus on the capture mechanic. Use it if it becomes situationally helpful. I still think this event is pretty meh. If it was after a unit is captured do such and such it'd be a much better option.

Edited by KennedyHawk, 13 March 2014 - 02:50 PM.

#19 doctormungmung

doctormungmung

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 03:05 PM

I've been on the receiving end of a Talon Rolled TIE Attack Squadron multiple times, with the only Roll in their deck coming from Defense Protocol.  Two cards combos can't be relied upon, but they're not all that rare either, and will see play in a decent number of games. 

And I'm curious, by your definition, are zero cost cards "free"?  Things like Force Choke cost you one card.  Is an extra card really all that much to ask to remove any single character your opponent has out?

But in general, yes, I agree that Bounty Collection could have been much better (and I wish it were).  All the capture effects in Boba's set are overly constrained. 

#20 KennedyHawk

KennedyHawk

• Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 03:29 PM

I've been on the receiving end of a Talon Rolled TIE Attack Squadron multiple times, with the only Roll in their deck coming from Defense Protocol.  Two cards combos can't be relied upon, but they're not all that rare either, and will see play in a decent number of games. 

And I'm curious, by your definition, are zero cost cards "free"?  Things like Force Choke cost you one card.  Is an extra card really all that much to ask to remove any single character your opponent has out?

But in general, yes, I agree that Bounty Collection could have been much better (and I wish it were).  All the capture effects in Boba's set are overly constrained. 

I think there's a difference between a combo that requires a card on the board (possibly from a previous turn) and requiring two cards in your hand (Caputred + Bounty Collection). If you use the two cards from your hand you are likely down to 4 cards, if you then take advantage of that even by spending the resources you are likely down to 1-2 cards making it difficult to win an edge battle.

I'm not saying two card combos are impossible or should be ignored but if you are judging the value of a card off of it's two card combo alone you are ignoring the negative effects that come with carrying the card in your hand (or deck).

In this example carrying Captured and Bounty Collection requires two different objectives, you are also probably going to include 2 of each to get the combo off, so that is 40% of your deck you've committed to this two card combo. When you look at the other capture from play cards the results become pretty underwhelming. Dengar's set? I guess their is Bossk but then you are putting in 4-6 objectives with no resources seems like a tough call. If the card pool expands to give a lot more in play capture I think this event will be great right now it's just not a worthwhile combo.

In the other example both Talon Roll and Tie Attack Squadron are in the same objective set. There's also an additional fighter to use with Tie attack squadron again in that same objective set. You now have 2-3 cards that can combo pretty well together by including one objective. The effect of the Tie Attack Squadron combo is also likely much greater, two targeted strikes  (likely 2 dead units), 4 objective damage. All for the cost of 0 using just Talon roll leaving 5 cards in your hand to win edge play additional etc.

As for the zero cost cards, yes I think they have a cost. The cost is one card out of your hand. With the edge battle being such a big part of this game force orbs are something to be valued as well. Imagine if force choke read "Action: Discard a card to deal one damage to target Character or Creature."  The card would be much less powerful because of that additional cost.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS