Spokane Washington Uncle's Games

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#21 phday

phday

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 02:07 PM

Hello, I'm the Store Manager of Uncle's Games in Bellevue.  We did not apply for an X-Wing Regional.  There are 2 major reasons why this is the case.

1.)We tried to host a major X-Wing Event in January to "test the waters" for how much interest there was in the X-Wing community and 4 players attended. In addition at last years Regional we had about 12 players attend.  Now SINCE then we had a great turnout for our Store Championship, and based on those numbers we likely would of applied, unfortunately the SC was well after the window of time we were able to apply for Regional.

2.)At Bellevue our Saturdays are a premium. Particularly in the months from May-July a host of events and games are competing to use our space for events. Events such as Free RPG Day, Starcity IQs, New Magic Releases, and a variety of other games all compete to utilize our space on Saturdays. Also it is risky for us to lock down a Saturday for an event that we may or may not host based on whether our store is chosen or not. For these reasons we choose to only host an FFG Regional for the game we have the largest turnout for (Netrunner) and support smaller Store Championships for ALL of the FFG Games.    Now had I seen the turnout for our January event, that we got in at the Store Championship, I almost definitely would of applied, and WILL apply next year.   Sorry about this guys. 

3.)The Store Manager of Spokane LOVES LOVES LOVES X-Wing, I really recommend you make the sacrifice to get out there because honestly I can't think of a better host for this event.  Maybe next year we'll even bring him to Bellevue to host our Regional as well.  But I strongly encourage you support him as he is one of the most vocal voices of support you have in the Board Gaming community.  

Thanks everyone, and sorry if we let you down.  Hope we do better for you in the future.

Edited by phday, 14 March 2014 - 02:48 PM.

#22 paulguise

paulguise

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 05:00 PM

3.)The Store Manager of Spokane LOVES LOVES LOVES X-Wing, I really recommend you make the sacrifice to get out there because honestly I can't think of a better host for this event.  

I have no doubt that he loves the game. I love the game. I just spent $100 for my sons collection of rebel ships because he watched my friends and I play and he loves it. I don't mind spending the money to buy products or to help encourage others to buy into the game. 

However, on a round trip of 720 miles, it would cost three tanks of gas and a hotel stay. Add meals (3) and cost of event to that as well. All told, thats $260. I can buy the acrylic templates and most of the other swag (except the trophy) we get at a regional for far less and save myself the 13 hours of driving and overnight away from my family. Even loading my friends up to share costs doesn't justify spending so much to get so little in return. 

On the flip side, driving 20 minutes to Portland or 30 minutes to Vancouver is well within the realm of feasibility and I can spent the other $230 on product. 

If someone from Bellevue wanted to spend $230 in your store, would you really tell them to go to Spokane to play? That store would get $10 and you would get nothing. Not a great deal to be honest. 

Edited by paulguise, 14 March 2014 - 05:01 PM.

• USMMA95, DavidWa, R2ShihTzu and 1 other like this

#23 cclaybern

cclaybern

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 06:38 PM

Hello, I'm the Store Manager of Uncle's Games in Bellevue.  We did not apply for an X-Wing Regional.  There are 2 major reasons why this is the case.

1.)We tried to host a major X-Wing Event in January to "test the waters" for how much interest there was in the X-Wing community and 4 players attended. In addition at last years Regional we had about 12 players attend.  Now SINCE then we had a great turnout for our Store Championship, and based on those numbers we likely would of applied, unfortunately the SC was well after the window of time we were able to apply for Regional.

2.)At Bellevue our Saturdays are a premium. Particularly in the months from May-July a host of events and games are competing to use our space for events. Events such as Free RPG Day, Starcity IQs, New Magic Releases, and a variety of other games all compete to utilize our space on Saturdays. Also it is risky for us to lock down a Saturday for an event that we may or may not host based on whether our store is chosen or not. For these reasons we choose to only host an FFG Regional for the game we have the largest turnout for (Netrunner) and support smaller Store Championships for ALL of the FFG Games.    Now had I seen the turnout for our January event, that we got in at the Store Championship, I almost definitely would of applied, and WILL apply next year.   Sorry about this guys. 

3.)The Store Manager of Spokane LOVES LOVES LOVES X-Wing, I really recommend you make the sacrifice to get out there because honestly I can't think of a better host for this event.  Maybe next year we'll even bring him to Bellevue to host our Regional as well.  But I strongly encourage you support him as he is one of the most vocal voices of support you have in the Board Gaming community.  

Thanks everyone, and sorry if we let you down.  Hope we do better for you in the future.

I am sorry you are getting such negativity.  This should not be the case.  I feel horrible you are getting this type of hate.

Everyone,

Lets not make this event such a horrible situation.  It is what it is.  You can't fault the store.  Lets work with the location to make it a positive event.

If I could come I would.  I have a vacation I am suppose to leave for on the 20th and yours is the 19th LOL  If I can make it, I will.  If not, whatever I can do, even at a distance to help make this a positive event, count me in.  :-)

#24 CatPeeler

CatPeeler

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 07:02 PM

I don't think anyone's blaming the store.  I'm going to go ahead and assume that it's awesome, even.

Whoever FFG put in charge of handing out the regionals to, on the other hand...

• USMMA95, DavidWa and R2ShihTzu like this

#25 paulguise

paulguise

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:19 PM

I am not blaming the store. This was the thread I found most relevant to the regional that was (laughably) closest to me. The store, and the owner who spoke up about his store, seems quite nice.

My beef is with the events coordinator for FFG. That person is the one who choose who to allow to host a regional event, and the fault (and public annoyance) is the reason I am upset with FFG at the moment. 

• USMMA95, DavidWa and Sylvermouse like this

#26 weaponxmerc

weaponxmerc

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 03:29 AM

Yeah, living in Portland and seeing the closest event is in Spokane is definitely disappointing. The PDX/Vancouver area has some great game stores with a lot of players, and is fairly central for a lot of people. As such I probably won't be able to attend Regionals, which I am sad about.

• USMMA95 and DavidWa like this

#27 Lappenlocker

Lappenlocker

• Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 09:41 AM

Yeah, living in Portland and seeing the closest event is in Spokane is definitely disappointing. The PDX/Vancouver area has some great game stores with a lot of players, and is fairly central for a lot of people. As such I probably won't be able to attend Regionals, which I am sad about.

Did you miss that there is an event in Boise too?
Bob Bell, Wylie TX
Rebels: (5) X-Wings, (4) Y-Wings, (2) A-Wings, (2) B-Wings, (2) YT-1300s, (2) HWK-290s
Imperials: (9) TIE Fighters, (2) TIE Advanced, (2) TIE Interceptors, (2) TIE Bombers, (2) Lambda Shuttles, (2) Firespray-31s, (2) Imperial Aces

#28 DavidWa

DavidWa

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:19 AM

Having one event in a great store Like Uncles is not the issue. Its having BOTH Events 6 hour apart in the middle of now where. As was stated in the VERY 1st post WE LOVE Uncles Games. They have great staff and always support the gaming community. With that said. And as be said OVER AND OVER. The issue is with FFG and their failure to see that they did a face plant. I personally know of 3 stores off the i-5 that did apply for this event. And they too LOVE and Support X wing. If they had just one event in Spokane and one some where off the I-5 PDX to Seattle it would have been great. But to have both 6+ hours away from most the players,was almost like some one at FFG wanted to give the NW a big middle finger. " this is a quote I keep hearing from the local x wing clubs " But we are not the only Region to have this kind of issue. Good news is we are moving forward and starting our own NW " I-5 " Regional Unofficial championship. I am going to spend my own money and put up $200 dollars in prizes ect. Only because I love the game and Know as a business owner you can't always find the best help to run your dreams. 

Edited by DavidWa, 17 March 2014 - 09:42 AM.

• USMMA95 likes this

#29 DavidWa

DavidWa

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:21 AM

Plus All of the entry fee's will be used go toward more great stuff. $15 per player. Date and time TBA. 

The Motto of this event will be " Rebel Scum. " \

As for people sabotaging the post about this being an Anti Uncles Games post or such is just hurting the issue of a break down with FFG and its community in the NW. 

And saying someone is being negative buy point out the facts. AKA cost and location. Not the stores issue but a Major issue FFG overlooked. 

Edited by DavidWa, 15 March 2014 - 11:03 AM.

• USMMA95 likes this

#30 DavidWa

DavidWa

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 11:04 AM

Boise is even further. But good news its one hour from Spokane. 

#31 Kyln

Kyln

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 12:14 PM

Boise is even further. But good news its one hour from Spokane. 

DavidWa I understand your frustration. I did want to point out however, that Boise is not one hour from Spokane (maybe you were thinking of Cour d'alene?). I have family that lives in the Boise area and I have made the trip many times. Google map pegs the trip at about 6.5 hours, but I have been able to do it in 6 weather permitting and without feeling overly rushed. I certainly do not have any desire to cause a rift in the X-Wing community. Only clarify misconceptions and express my excitement and desire to grow the X-Wing community and run great events. For example, I am working on a Furball tournament (among other things) on the night before the Regional to give players that are coming in the day before a chance to have some fun casual X-Wing and get the most out of their trip.

I fully support clearly and respectfully communicating to FFG what we as players want. That is how they will be able to continue to provide better and better support for a game that we both love. 

#32 R2ShihTzu

R2ShihTzu

• Members
  • 442 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 01:51 PM

No one has any issue with the store in Spokane, or the one in Boise, for that matter. The sole beef is with the very questionable decision to not have any of them within a reasonable distance of either of the major metro centers. 5+ hours drive each way is too much to ask, both in time and cost, particularly when other regions are tightly clustered enough to have several regionals within shorter drives and spaced out enough for people to attend more than one. It's just sloppy and everyone is entitled to call them on it or else they won't try to improve it next year.

Frankly, they should go to three tourneys per region (2 seems slight) and do a little homework on demographics for location (centering on largest populations) for at least the first two, then look in any gaps to put in a third. Frankly, if they had the two they had now and one in the Olympia or Centralia area in Washington, the discontent would be massively lower. It is a large area and no one will be fully pleased with any solution, but again, I point to the fact that if the biggger areas are the focus, you increase your odds of more players and more people being able to stay on the cheap with friends/family. I have zero options for that in Spokane or Boise, probably most don't. But I would have several in either Portland or Seattle...

• DavidWa likes this

#33 DavidWa

DavidWa

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:49 AM

Well I still suggest any of you willing to spend $200+ dollars driving or flying to this NW Regional to STOP. Take this money and use it to buy prizes at your local game store and setup a Local NW X wing event. This will allows for some great prizes and should draw 20+ players to the store for a great day of X wing. VS the 12+ if your lucky that you will get at the Regional Event. 

If you get 20+ players at $15 a player that would add an extra $300 to the event so prizes for the to Eight would be Great. Store Gift cards are the best in many cases. 

• R2ShihTzu, paulguise and Sylvermouse like this

#34 paulguise

paulguise

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 03:55 PM

Well I still suggest any of you willing to spend $200+ dollars driving or flying to this NW Regional to STOP. Take this money and use it to buy prizes at your local game store and setup a Local NW X wing event. This will allows for some great prizes and should draw 20+ players to the store for a great day of X wing. VS the 12+ if your lucky that you will get at the Regional Event. 

If you get 20+ players at $15 a player that would add an extra $300 to the event so prizes for the to Eight would be Great. Store Gift cards are the best in many cases. 

I for one approve of this message. 

I am one of those who have been complaining. But I tried to make it clear that the store is not to blame. FFGs event coordinator/approver/location picker is to be held responsible. If they are wise, they would correct this oversight (there is more than enough time to ship more regional swap boxes) and post new, closer locations as soon as possible. I very truly hope that they do this as, having been to two store championships already with a third on the horizon, it would be a great disappointment to get a buy to an event in a place I have no intention of going to.

And as if more examples were needed, ponder this: those players who are married will have a hard time justifying the cost of the trip to their significant other. To them, generally, we go and push plastic models around for 4 hours. Hardly a great case for spending hundreds of dollars and disappearing for an entire day. 

• Sylvermouse likes this

#35 JaceMoonstrider

JaceMoonstrider

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 10:08 AM

... we are moving forward and starting our own NW " I-5 " Regional Unofficial championship. I am going to spend my own money and put up $200 dollars in prizes ect. Only because I love the game ...

What store is this being held at? And when?
  • DavidWa, paulguise and Sylvermouse like this

#36 phday

phday

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 07:39 PM

Fantasy Flight was very disappointed that no stores in the Seattle or Portland metropolitan area signed up for an X-Wing Regional. That's straight from the top of the head of Organized Play at FFG. Anyone who claims otherwise apparently didn't fill out the form correctly. FFG plans to improve their application process next year. In the meantime any Stores who dispute this can take it directly to FFG. Those guys are super accessible to retailers and anyone who is telling you otherwise is way off base. In addition they have learned a lot this year so your can expect an even better OP process next year. Case closed.

#37 yagyu

yagyu

• Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 11:27 PM

To my knowledge they never posted an application for the regional events. If they did i know for a fact my lgs would have signed up.

• Sylvermouse likes this

#38 JaceMoonstrider

JaceMoonstrider

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 11:26 AM

Looks like it posted on FFG page here Jan 16th.
http://www.fantasyfl...s.asp?eidn=4607

Considering no Portland or Seattle area locations applied ... It seems mistimed, under-publicized, or something.
Also, the timing of it flies in the face of their Store Championship announcement that said (in writing) that regional locations chosen would be influenced by store championship attendance!!! Love your product FFG ... But what the heck is up with that. Possibly the two biggest Portland area X-Wing stores still haven't held their store championship yet?!?

#39 CatPeeler

CatPeeler

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 02:57 PM

Fantasy Flight was very disappointed that no stores in the Seattle or Portland metropolitan area signed up for an X-Wing Regional. That's straight from the top of the head of Organized Play at FFG. Anyone who claims otherwise apparently didn't fill out the form correctly. FFG plans to improve their application process next year. In the meantime any Stores who dispute this can take it directly to FFG. Those guys are super accessible to retailers and anyone who is telling you otherwise is way off base. In addition they have learned a lot this year so your can expect an even better OP process next year. Case closed.

I have a really hard time believing that no one in the PDX / Seattle area applied for a regional slot...

• TK-420 and paulguise like this

#40 yagyu

yagyu

• Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:59 PM

Just talked to my boss and she did indeed apply here in Salem . 

They basically said we have reviewed all applications and did not select your store to host this year, please try again next year. They also said they had a number of applications, but that could just have been more automated then the actual volume of applications in the north west area. So yeah sorry to say it sounds more like one of their guys screwed up by not checking the maps. Ah well. We shall all do our best and hope things are better next year. Now the decision comes do I feel it is better to drive several hours to Spokane, or do I just try and get the prizes through ebay lol

• Sylvermouse likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS