SWLCG Regionals

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
37 replies to this topic

#21 Ismar

Ismar

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:58 PM

Couldyou guys be more negative about this. Is it really that big a deal to get some friends together and go on a trip. That's half the fun.

I agree that's fun.

But once you get into the 5-6 hours drive range, it becomes a two day affair.  Are these events worth it at that point?  I think you are going to see a lot of players say no, when a 2-3 hour drive wouldn't cause the same issue.

Should Vegas, that only had one local player for their SC, really be holding a Regional?  That's in addition to the issues they caused last year at their Regional.  Many of the venue choices don't make sense.

FFG had an opportunity to use SCs as a survey to gauge where their player base really is and allocate Regionals in accordance with that.  Instead they drew arbitrary lines and in many cases picked fairly arbitrary locations to host the events.

I agree, our gaming club (GASP) held the X-Wing Regional last year, 20 players attended.  We held 4 SC this year, 12 came out for SW LCG, 19 for X-Wing, 2 for AGoT, and Netrunner is next weekend.

I'm glad a Pittsburgh store got the X-Wing regional, but they had less attendance to all their SC than us, and I didn't see any way to even report the event back to FFG anyway.  They stated the SC would be used to determine Regionals, but I don't see it.  We dropped $60 per SC (which we didn't make back BTW) so that we would have a better chance at a Regional.  Granted we are a club not a store, but what does it matter if we draw more players to the games.  Isn't that the whole intent?

The closest SW LCG is Morgantown, which isn't worth it for me.  Plus I feel that by travelling I'm promoting the poor organized play model FFG has.

This whole experience left a sour taste with our club regarding FFG's organized play, so I won't be apply for any events next year.

#22 ScottieATF

ScottieATF

• Members
  • 741 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 05:21 PM

Couldyou guys be more negative about this. Is it really that big a deal to get some friends together and go on a trip. That's half the fun.

I agree that's fun.

But once you get into the 5-6 hours drive range, it becomes a two day affair.  Are these events worth it at that point?  I think you are going to see a lot of players say no, when a 2-3 hour drive wouldn't cause the same issue.

Should Vegas, that only had one local player for their SC, really be holding a Regional?  That's in addition to the issues they caused last year at their Regional.  Many of the venue choices don't make sense.

FFG had an opportunity to use SCs as a survey to gauge where their player base really is and allocate Regionals in accordance with that.  Instead they drew arbitrary lines and in many cases picked fairly arbitrary locations to host the events.

I agree, our gaming club (GASP) held the X-Wing Regional last year, 20 players attended.  We held 4 SC this year, 12 came out for SW LCG, 19 for X-Wing, 2 for AGoT, and Netrunner is next weekend.

I'm glad a Pittsburgh store got the X-Wing regional, but they had less attendance to all their SC than us, and I didn't see any way to even report the event back to FFG anyway.  They stated the SC would be used to determine Regionals, but I don't see it.  We dropped $60 per SC (which we didn't make back BTW) so that we would have a better chance at a Regional.  Granted we are a club not a store, but what does it matter if we draw more players to the games.  Isn't that the whole intent?

The closest SW LCG is Morgantown, which isn't worth it for me.  Plus I feel that by travelling I'm promoting the poor organized play model FFG has.

This whole experience left a sour taste with our club regarding FFG's organized play, so I won't be apply for any events next year.

Which store in an area likely came down to logistical concerns such as space and if the dates they could run it fit the dates FFG had open.

I'm more speaking towards the area they put events in.

#23 Rogue 4

Rogue 4

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 05:52 PM

Could you guys be more negative about this. Is it really that big a deal to get some friends together and go on a trip. That's half the fun.

I am offering assistance, I don't see that as negative.

Also, we love road trips. We are planning it now. At first, FFG had our regionals at the same time, they have since fixed that problem. I can't go to the first one, so I am planning for the next one. Nothing negative.

Some former companies used the players to help them get the word out on their games and tournaments, and I feel that model was successful. They would throw a few extra packs/promos, whatever our way and we would work for them for free. It was a game I loved and loved doing it. I would do the same for this one, just saying.

Anyways, good luck to all and be safe on the roads/planes/boats/horses/chariots/ or whatever it is you travel on.

• FliptheForce likes this

Millennium Falcon, Rebel Transport, Tantive IV, A-Wing x2, B-wing, E-Wing, X-wing x4, Y-wing, Z95 Headhunter x2, HWK-290, TIE Fighter x 5, TIE Advanced x1, TIE Bomber, x1, TIE Interceptor x1, TIE Defender, TIE Phantom,  Imperial Aces, Slave I, Lambda Shuttle

#24 cetiken

cetiken

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:04 AM

Something that some people probably aren't entirely taking into account, though - every venue had to send in an application, and FFG had to weigh two different factors when deciding where to assign the tournaments. Geographical location was obviously a big one, but the other was the strength of the application and, by extension, the strength of the venue. FFG has a vested interest in making sure they pick the best possible venues for these tournaments, and some geographical concessions may have been made in order to facilitate that. I know that for my part, I'm going to be pulling out every possible stop to make sure our tournament on the 17th is as fantastic of an experience as possible for those who attend, and I sincerely hope it goes well enough that we're able to do it again next year.

I hope you do.   You've been given the chance to prove that your venue is superior to the some Very Good places.  It would probably be bad if the only reason you were given the nod is that you lied on the application.  

#25 ScottieATF

ScottieATF

• Members
  • 741 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:33 PM

What the heck is your problem with this venue that you'd go so far as accusing them of lying?

• KennedyHawk likes this

#26 Rogue 4

Rogue 4

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 06:56 PM

Rough......bad blood?

Millennium Falcon, Rebel Transport, Tantive IV, A-Wing x2, B-wing, E-Wing, X-wing x4, Y-wing, Z95 Headhunter x2, HWK-290, TIE Fighter x 5, TIE Advanced x1, TIE Bomber, x1, TIE Interceptor x1, TIE Defender, TIE Phantom,  Imperial Aces, Slave I, Lambda Shuttle

#27 shaggscoob

shaggscoob

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:35 PM

Wow, so the only regionals tournament for California is in Fremont?  That sucks.  I guess FFG is assuming that all the Southern California people want to drive to Vegas?  I mean, you'd think they'd at least have it hosted at Game Empire in Pasadena, where Smuggler's Den is based out of.

#28 The Gas

The Gas

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:21 PM

Apparently the store owner decided he didn't want to support the game anymore for some reason.  They talked about it on the podcast iirc.

#29 ScottieATF

ScottieATF

• Members
  • 741 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 01:34 AM

Apparently the store owner decided he didn't want to support the game anymore for some reason.  They talked about it on the podcast iirc.

Which episode?

#30 cetiken

cetiken

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 01:41 AM

What the heck is your problem with this venue that you'd go so far as accusing them of lying?

Why so defensive? I'm sure it'll be a fine shop.  I mean who wouldn't want to go out to nowhere to play.  After all you can grab a cheap flight on southwest to Tulsa, OKC, Albuquerque, Houston, Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, Little Rock, New Orleans... and not Tyler.

Also check yourself. I never said they lied about the number of people they can support nor the centrality of their location.  I mean the later is geographically provable to be false.  In fact it'll make a fun term project for my class.   I know off the top of my head of three game shops in (Dallas, Austin, and San Antonio respectively) that can easily host an event of 50+ people and have room for another 150 players of other games.  I'm sure seating won't be crowded at this comic shop in Tyler.  After all photos on facebook make it look like they have almost half a dozen tables.  Maybe a full dozen if they convert the minis space.

Edited by cetiken, 15 March 2014 - 01:47 AM.

#31 INtheShadowplay

INtheShadowplay

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 02:46 AM

I need to get in touch with ffg about this. I used to organize for decipher back in the day and I would live to help here. anyone know who I could contact+

Decipher knew how to support a game, these guys are clueless. I wish you the best, but don't hold your breath on that one.

ITT: Neckbeards use the powers of Autism and a thesaurus to respond to you.

#32 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 06:14 AM

Why do you bother playing if that is how you feel ? Is it really all just about the competition. Instead of being rude and condescending why don't you try and be helpful.
  • See Threebilbo likes this

#33 ScottieATF

ScottieATF

• Members
  • 741 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 11:54 AM

Why so defensive? I'm sure it'll be a fine shop.  I mean who wouldn't want to go out to nowhere to play.  After all you can grab a cheap flight on southwest to Tulsa, OKC, Albuquerque, Houston, Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, Little Rock, New Orleans... and not Tyler.

Also check yourself. I never said they lied about the number of people they can support nor the centrality of their location.  I mean the later is geographically provable to be false.  In fact it'll make a fun term project for my class.   I know off the top of my head of three game shops in (Dallas, Austin, and San Antonio respectively) that can easily host an event of 50+ people and have room for another 150 players of other games.  I'm sure seating won't be crowded at this comic shop in Tyler.  After all photos on facebook make it look like they have almost half a dozen tables.  Maybe a full dozen if they convert the minis space.

Because you've gone passed just not agreeing with FFGs choice to accusing a store owner of lying to get the event with no basis for it at all. You don't see how that's crossing a line? You've never been to the store and you have no idea what criteria FFG used to select these events (which is part of the issue with these events in general).

I do not agree with FFGs choice of venue in this case because this store did not run a SC (unless it was never listed by FFG) and is not terribly geographically advantageous. But thats FFGs issue in thier selection process, not on the owner for applying. I do not see how you can direct your ire towards a store owner that got selected and has already expressed his interest in making the event the best it can be.

#34 INtheShadowplay

INtheShadowplay

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 12:13 PM

The fedora wearing is strong in this thread.

• See Threebilbo likes this

#35 See Threebilbo

See Threebilbo

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 01:25 PM

The fedora wearing is strong in this thread.

Quite.  Let's just hope trenchcoats don't make an appearance as well.  I like many other things about the thirties much more than trenchcoats.

• INtheShadowplay likes this

#36 Green Leader

Green Leader

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 02:30 PM

You sound like a real prick, you know know that?

#37 INtheShadowplay

INtheShadowplay

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 02:44 PM

Neckbearding intensifies.

8gRvxQX.jpg?1

#38 See Threebilbo

See Threebilbo

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 02:47 PM

Oh no, that looks just like a friend of mine!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS