SWLCG Regionals

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
37 replies to this topic

#1 galactusgo

galactusgo

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:36 PM

Thanks for making the only two options for Ohio SWLCG players a five hour drive.  You guys are the best.

• cetiken, FliptheForce and INtheShadowplay like this

#2 Rogue 4

Rogue 4

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:47 PM

FFG needs to fire their regional coordinator. both our regionals are on the same day. The covenant store is not that impressive. I don't care really for where they are but I don't like that they are on the same day. not smart.
  • Hida77 likes this

Millennium Falcon, Rebel Transport, Tantive IV, A-Wing x2, B-wing, E-Wing, X-wing x4, Y-wing, Z95 Headhunter x2, HWK-290, TIE Fighter x 5, TIE Advanced x1, TIE Bomber, x1, TIE Interceptor x1, TIE Defender, TIE Phantom,  Imperial Aces, Slave I, Lambda Shuttle

#3 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:51 PM

Let's see... the closest regional to my current location is after I move and the closest regional to where I'm moving is before I move.  Why didn't FFG consult with my schedule before deciding these things?

• Khyros likes this

#4 Century

Century

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:55 PM

You might want to check with your locations. I know that the Rainy Day Games event is on June 22nd, not May 31st as listed.

#5 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:05 PM

You might want to check with your locations. I know that the Rainy Day Games event is on June 22nd, not May 31st as listed.

Are you sure about that though?  From what I've heard the locations weren't given much of a choice on the timing and pretty much told by FFG when to run their event.

#6 Century

Century

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:19 PM

Are you sure about that though?  From what I've heard the locations weren't given much of a choice on the timing and pretty much told by FFG when to run their event.

I'm actually the OP Manager at Rainy Day Games. It's true we were given very few options, but our date that we chose wasn't correctly posted to the list. It may have happened for other stores as well. I know of another store that picked a date and submitted for AGOT and their date is listed as TBD.

#7 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:26 PM

Hmm, now that I look closely it appears they did the same thing to the Hickory, NC regional (a friend of mine is running it, FFG told them July 19 and now it's listed as June 21).  I would have expected FFG to be able to manage posting a relatively small number of locations and dates without trouble, but apparently I had too much faith in them.

#8 Hida77

Hida77

• Members
  • 682 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:40 PM

FFG needs to fire their regional coordinator. both our regionals are on the same day. The covenant store is not that impressive. I don't care really for where they are but I don't like that they are on the same day. not smart.

Tyler being much closer to Dallas/FW as well as houston, austin, LA, and most of AR makes me expect it will be huge.

I'm obviously a little salty on the subject, but I agree, is a big fail to not only have them so geographically close, but on the same freaking day.  Tulsa/Dallas and Houston/Austin would have made more sense.

It could be worse.  The non-Dallas X-Wing one is pretty much on the border of BFE.

In any case, New Mexico got HOSED.

• KennedyHawk likes this

2013 Star Wars: The Card Game Worlds Top 16

X-Wing Ships:

8xX-wing, 4xB-Wing, 2xYT-1300, 4xY-Wing, 4xA-Wing, 2xHWK-290, 3xE-Wing, 5xZ-95, 2xGR-75, 1xCR-90

8xTIE/LN, 11xTIE/IN, 2xTIE/Adv, 4xTIE/as, 3xTIE/Ph, 3xTIE/D, 3xFirespray-31, 3xLambda

#9 Rogue 4

Rogue 4

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:09 PM

So I noticed that FFG realized their mistake and now Covenant's Regional in Tulsa is on the 26th of July and not the same time as the one in Tyler, Texas at Ground Zero.

Millennium Falcon, Rebel Transport, Tantive IV, A-Wing x2, B-wing, E-Wing, X-wing x4, Y-wing, Z95 Headhunter x2, HWK-290, TIE Fighter x 5, TIE Advanced x1, TIE Bomber, x1, TIE Interceptor x1, TIE Defender, TIE Phantom,  Imperial Aces, Slave I, Lambda Shuttle

#10 See Threebilbo

See Threebilbo

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:27 PM

When I move back home after I graduate, it's gonna be ridiculous.  I can't drive, so I'm going to be stuck.  Bah!

#11 ScottieATF

ScottieATF

• Members
  • 600 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:09 PM

So I noticed that FFG realized their mistake and now Covenant's Regional in Tulsa is on the 26th of July and not the same time as the one in Tyler, Texas at Ground Zero.

I'm glad that FFG at least isn't that foolish.

#12 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 05:05 AM

As noted by me and Century earlier in the thread, it looks like the dates posted aren't all accurate.  Hopefully they'll get that fixed quickly.

#13 Tallon

Tallon

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:30 AM

These "regionals" concern me about the future of these games. These tournaments can generate a lot of interest for new players. Is FFG needs a better outreach program with FLGSs.

#14 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 02:18 PM

And I just heard back from the TO in Hickory that despite the date posted not being the date he was told earlier, FFG's response is that the regional would be on the posted date instead of the originally agreed upon date.  So Century, you may want to get in touch with FFG about your regional.  Also, I think doing that to TOs and stores is beyond low for FFG's organized play team.

#15 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 2,994 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 02:51 PM

Couldyou guys be more negative about this. Is it really that big a deal to get some friends together and go on a trip. That's half the fun.

Edited by Toqtamish, 13 March 2014 - 03:02 PM.

#16 Rogue 4

Rogue 4

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 02:55 PM

I need to get in touch with ffg about this. I used to organize for decipher back in the day and I would live to help here. anyone know who I could contact+
  • INtheShadowplay likes this

#17 MrDomino

MrDomino

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 03:12 PM

Hi, everybody - I'm the TO for the Tyler regional. Glad that the confusion regarding the two Region 5 tournament dates has been cleared up, and wanted to make a statement regarding the placement of the two Regional events. Obviously, I can't speak for FFG on this, but I do know that with Regionals becoming such a limited type of event this year, there was a lot of pressure on the application process - I felt fairly sure that with so many big markets in my region, there was little chance my shop would get picked, but I still sent in an application, and tried to put my shop's best face forward, as it were. I still stand by what I said in the application - I feel like Tyler is uniquely placed to pull from most of the major markets in Texas, Louisiana, and Arkansas, and we've got a great store, with lots of fast food within walking distance, and several nearby hotels for those who decide to make use of them.

All that being said, though, I assumed that if my shop were to get one of the two Regionals, that the other would be in the Western part of Texas, or in New Mexico. I understand FFG's rationale in giving the Covenant Store a Regional - there aren't many bigger supporters of the game than them, and it would feel a little weird in a way for them not to have one of the big tournaments. That being the case, though, I feel like it is a little unfair to people coming from NM as the situation currently stands.

Something that some people probably aren't entirely taking into account, though - every venue had to send in an application, and FFG had to weigh two different factors when deciding where to assign the tournaments. Geographical location was obviously a big one, but the other was the strength of the application and, by extension, the strength of the venue. FFG has a vested interest in making sure they pick the best possible venues for these tournaments, and some geographical concessions may have been made in order to facilitate that. I know that for my part, I'm going to be pulling out every possible stop to make sure our tournament on the 17th is as fantastic of an experience as possible for those who attend, and I sincerely hope it goes well enough that we're able to do it again next year.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

#18 Krey

Krey

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 03:13 PM

I am a former Decipher product champion too.  I have been in contact with FFG trying to offer suggestions where I can.  They are pretty much disinterested. 

• FliptheForce and INtheShadowplay like this

#19 ScottieATF

ScottieATF

• Members
  • 600 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 03:17 PM

Couldyou guys be more negative about this. Is it really that big a deal to get some friends together and go on a trip. That's half the fun.

I agree that's fun.

But once you get into the 5-6 hours drive range, it becomes a two day affair.  Are these events worth it at that point?  I think you are going to see a lot of players say no, when a 2-3 hour drive wouldn't cause the same issue.

Should Vegas, that only had one local player for their SC, really be holding a Regional?  That's in addition to the issues they caused last year at their Regional.  Many of the venue choices don't make sense.

FFG had an opportunity to use SCs as a survey to gauge where their player base really is and allocate Regionals in accordance with that.  Instead they drew arbitrary lines and in many cases picked fairly arbitrary locations to host the events.

#20 ScottieATF

ScottieATF

• Members
  • 600 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 03:26 PM

Something that some people probably aren't entirely taking into account, though - every venue had to send in an application, and FFG had to weigh two different factors when deciding where to assign the tournaments. Geographical location was obviously a big one, but the other was the strength of the application and, by extension, the strength of the venue. FFG has a vested interest in making sure they pick the best possible venues for these tournaments, and some geographical concessions may have been made in order to facilitate that. I know that for my part, I'm going to be pulling out every possible stop to make sure our tournament on the 17th is as fantastic of an experience as possible for those who attend, and I sincerely hope it goes well enough that we're able to do it again next year.

I think that is missing the biggest issue in placing a Regional, can the area support it?  Are there enough players in the area to warrant a Regional being placed in that location?  FFG shot themselves in the foot deciding to divide up Regions and place two events max in each.  They tied their own hands in regards to ensuring that areas with a player base capable of supporting an event got one by being forced to allocate them in regards to geography, and not in regards to where the player base actually lives.

The Vegas store had only one local player attend their SC and last year had so many issues with the way they ran their Regional that I know many players in attendance emailed FFG in regards to how poorly the event was handled.  How does that venue look at all attractive to host a Regional at?

It makes FFG choices, in many cases, seem very abritrary and out of touch.

Though I do wish you luck in hosting your event!

Edited by ScottieATF, 13 March 2014 - 03:27 PM.

• MrDomino likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS