Can't keep track of gamplay

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rainman8

rainman8

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 01:41 PM

I have 4th edition with blood moon and reaper and I find it hard to keep track of day/night changes, moving reaper or the warewolf, remembering luna events that are active, subtracting/adding strength depending on day/night and remembering all my added bonuses or terms from my followers/objects.

I have only played a few times with the new expansions though so does it get better with time? Recieved blood moon last week and the last few games were more stressfull than fun.

#2 JediKnightAmoeba

JediKnightAmoeba

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:07 PM

Just wait until you get the Dragon expansion. haha.

It does get better as everyone becomes familiar with the game. I have seen an expansion that had a sun or moon on a stick in the middle of the board to help remember this variation. First and foremost, if you do forget, no big deal. Move on and try and remember next time. The day/night addition many people find to be annoying. If this is the case for you and your group I would suggest removing it and any day/night cards from the deck. This is not a big deal either and relatively easy. The most important thing to remember is the werewolf;when a 1 is rolled. And this too comes with time.
  • Nioreh likes this

#3 rainman8

rainman8

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:29 PM

Just wait until you get the Dragon expansion. haha.
It does get better as everyone becomes familiar with the game. I have seen an expansion that had a sun or moon on a stick in the middle of the board to help remember this variation. First and foremost, if you do forget, no big deal. Move on and try and remember next time. The day/night addition many people find to be annoying. If this is the case for you and your group I would suggest removing it and any day/night cards from the deck. This is not a big deal either and relatively easy. The most important thing to remember is the werewolf;when a 1 is rolled. And this too comes with time.

Ha!! I have decided not to get the Dragon expansion, or at least get that last which will probably be years if ever (I have read that it causes too many problems and changes gameplay for the worse). I have already organised the dungeon for April then I'll take a break probably til christmas :) . The next one will either be The City or Highlands (I heard the Highlands is a little boring and the City can add imbalance to the game).

The other thing that adds discomfort is the lack of space for all the cards and the massive board. The board can look very messy after a while and I have game pieces falling on tge floor every couple of turns. Might have to find something bigger...

#4 Rigmaster

Rigmaster

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 03:32 PM

We use an extra frog, a "death frog", to remember to move the reaper. Whenever you roll a 1 you pick up the frog and keep it in your hand for the rest of your turn to help you remember.

• talismanisland and I. J. Thompson like this

#5 rainman8

rainman8

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 04:23 PM

We use an extra frog, a "death frog", to remember to move the reaper. Whenever you roll a 1 you pick up the frog and keep it in your hand for the rest of your turn to help you remember.

Not a bad idea although I would probably still forget and keep holding the frog until the next 1 is rolled. Had a better game just now, we finally got the hang of the luna event cards and thought they were great.

#6 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 961 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 04:45 PM

That's a great idea. Will implement.

Over here, if we aren't using the Werewolf/Lycanthropy, we have a house rule that if you draw a Lunar event, just discard and draw another. Working so far.

As regards the Dragon, I avoided it for a long time for the same reasons cited. However, having recently bought it and played it once, I actually really like it... IF one is prepared to get hurt, badly. 

All it's lacking is a nice felt bag for all those Dragon Scale tokens...

#7 DomaGB

DomaGB

• Members
  • 394 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 05:27 PM

Yes, many consider the Blood Moon fiddly. Fiddly is only part the reason I don't like it. I also dislike the minus 1 at nite, slows the game down to much, and out of all the games I have played with it, only 1 game seemed to stay on day more than nite, most games the night stays forever! I also don't like a heavily Halloween flavored expansion unless its the real season.

I also agree with people that Dragons is fiddly as well, but once again that's only part of the reason I don't like it.

The lesson here, for me at least, is fiddliness won't wreck it, unless its also combined with other negative attributes. And sadly Blood moon does that, so I only use about half that expansion.

RoboRally, then Talisman. That's the way it is... ;)

#8 talismanisland

talismanisland

Harbourmaster

• Members
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 05:33 PM

All it's lacking is a nice felt bag for all those Dragon Scale tokens...

TM11_tokens.jpg

:D

• JediKnightAmoeba, Rigmaster and Hunter Smith like this
Harbourmaster at Talisman Island - 15 magical years and counting!

Sometimes I even update the Talisman Island Facebook Page!

#9 Croonos

Croonos

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 01:49 AM

Ok maybe new expansions like The Dragon or Blood Moon slow down the game but they realy are worth it! A lot of people have complained that Talisman is too simple, random... With those expansions is still quite easy to play but you can use certain tactics. Afer all, they could not release expansions with adventure cards only as was the most till Sacred Pool. I think The Dragon expansion was a great idea, especialy with tokens and new mechanics (we rather do not use the Dragon board). If Dragon cards were hidden among Adventure cards (as in previous editions) would be less encounter and the game would lose a unique atmosphere of increasing Dragon power.
Generally if someone is not familiar with the game should use less expansions to avoid stress. But if later become familiar with the rules can really enjoy yourself with all of them.

Edited by Croonos, 12 March 2014 - 01:50 AM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS