Good news indeed!

Nurgle is my favourite Chaos God!

• Fgdsfg likes this

#42 Crazyrat621

Crazyrat621

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:42 AM

I wish we would get an exact release date for this. My wife wants to know if it will be out by June 21 so she knows if she should get me this and a forgefiend or a unit of chaos space marines and a forgefiend for my birthday.

• Tenebrae and Chaplain like this

#43 51powerski

51powerski

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:37 PM

I wish we would get an exact release date for this. My wife wants to know if it will be out by June 21 so she knows if she should get me this and a forgefiend or a unit of chaos space marines and a forgefiend for my birthday.

According to the upcoming section it's "at the printers."  Not sure how long its had that status though.  "Expected by Q2" would imply it should be with us by end of June latest.  Probably cutting it a little fine.

Perhaps if she creates a plague in Nurgles name the answer would be forthcoming.

#44 Terraneaux

Terraneaux

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 03:17 AM

I'm pretty pumped for this, here's hoping it rounds out the game line something nice.  

#45 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

Lrod-Iniquitsor

• Members
  • 1,749 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 03:33 AM

I'm pretty pumped for this, here's hoping it rounds out the game line something nice.  

I'm still hoping for a proper adventure series or trilogy. I know it's a faint hope, with Black Crusade being basically forgotten by FFG and them pushing onwards to 2nd Editions, but I can always hope.. D:

• Gridash likes this

Real men earn their fun

Unified WH40kRP Ruleset Homebrew - Personal Notes
Talking Necrons. Dreadknights. Centurion Armour. Sororitas-murdering Grey Knights.
These things are dumb and do not exist. This is non-negotiable and undebatable.

#46 trueMoon

trueMoon

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 01:10 PM

If it's an Iron Warriors advanced archetype shouldn't it be a WARsmith, not a WARPsmith? Is the latter a typo in the announcement?

I see Warpsmith is a Tzeentch Talent in the main book though.

#47 H.B.M.C.

H.B.M.C.

Freelance Writer/Play-Tester

• Members
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 02:21 PM

If it's an Iron Warriors advanced archetype shouldn't it be a WARsmith, not a WARPsmith? Is the latter a typo in the announcement?

Nope;)

BYE

Edited by H.B.M.C., 18 May 2014 - 02:21 PM.

Matt Eustace. Contributing Author Credits: Church of the Damned, The Lathe Worlds, The Lathe Worlds - The Lost Dataslate, Only War Core Rulebook, Hammer of the Emperor, Shield of Humanity, Tome of Fate, Tome of Blood, Tome of Excess and Tome of Decay.

The views expressed in this post are my own. I do not speak for or on behalf of Fantasy Flight Games.

#48 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

Lrod-Iniquitsor

• Members
  • 1,749 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 02:30 AM

I see Warpsmith is a Tzeentch Talent in the main book though.

It's Warpsmith. It's the combination of daemonic powers and technology, forging them together.

http://wh40k.lexican...th#.U3nAACjzefA

That being said, I never liked the Advanced Archetype system in Black Crusade. They're all wildly overpowered and doesn't relate to basic character advancement at all. You either start as one, or you can basically never become one.

And if you start as one, you're just assumed to be on a power-level unrelated to and unheard of by anyone starting out as in Black Crusade.

That, and it's very unclear how the fact that most of them start Aligned is supposed to work, since by RAW, starting skills & advancements does not count towards alignment.

Even the Only War system is better. At least there it ties into character advancement and progression.
  • Tenebrae likes this

Real men earn their fun

Talking Necrons. Dreadknights. Centurion Armour. Sororitas-murdering Grey Knights.

#49 FieserMoep

FieserMoep

• Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 02:59 AM

They're all wildly overpowered and doesn't relate to basic character advancement at all. You either start as one, or you can basically never become one.

And if you start as one, you're just assumed to be on a power-level unrelated to and unheard of by anyone starting out as in Black Crusade.

That is the exact problem I do have with these archetypes. They have a tendency to be quite overpowered but also keep some thematic abilities you can only get with some sort of house rule that always has a bad taste to it.

In my opinion they are more or less convention characters you can start with and that will do quite well against most things a GM can throw at you without going over the top. But for a campaign they seem to not fit (unless you play a high-powered campaign).

I am not a fan of "balance" in a PnP like we understand it in an MMO where every class has to perform adequately good. But some of these archetypes just outperform any other basic archetype.

• Tenebrae and Fgdsfg like this

#50 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

Lrod-Iniquitsor

• Members
  • 1,749 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 04:16 AM

They're all wildly overpowered and doesn't relate to basic character advancement at all. You either start as one, or you can basically never become one.

That is the exact problem I do have with these archetypes. They have a tendency to be quite overpowered but also keep some thematic abilities you can only get with some sort of house rule that always has a bad taste to it.

In my opinion they are more or less convention characters you can start with and that will do quite well against most things a GM can throw at you without going over the top. But for a campaign they seem to not fit (unless you play a high-powered campaign).

I am not a fan of "balance" in a PnP like we understand it in an MMO where every class has to perform adequately good. But some of these archetypes just outperform any other basic archetype.

Couldn't agree more. I don't overly concern myself with "balance" either, but there should be some semblance of it. When it comes to these, there just isn't any. They're pretty much pre-fab characters you can pick up that are already part of a very much given theme, time and locale.

The rules for them are iffy, the way you can take them are shallow (because they are thematically "complete"), and they're incompatible with the concept of starting the characters together as beginners. On one hand, sure, it's cool that you can be, you know, a Word Bearer or something.

But on the other hand, if you're going for a thematic game, if your option when wanting to be a group of Word-Bearers involves everyone taking the same Advanced Archetype that all look and feel and play the same, what's the point?

Even Only War did it better with it's Advanced Specializations, and I don't particularly like those either. I would much prefer a system similar to Alternate Career Ranks in Dark Heresy & Rogue Trader, combined with the concept of Elite Advancement Packages. Essentially a 'package' that costs Experience and are based in roleplaying, that can be taken at certain intervals (say, every 1000xp or 2000xp spent), which offers a special ability or Trait or Talent, and possibly a few special advances, similar to the 2-3 unique Talents each Specialization gets in Only War.

This would have the added benefit of being able to be used across all the WH40kRP settings interchangeably, provided the character(s) meet the roleplaying requirements.

Edited by Fgdsfg, 19 May 2014 - 04:17 AM.

• Adeptus-B likes this

Real men earn their fun

#51 H.B.M.C.

H.B.M.C.

• Members
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:17 AM

You either start as one, or you can basically never become one.

But doesn't that make sense in some cases? How does one become a Thousand Sons Sorcerer if they're A). Not a sorcerer and B). Not part of the Thousand Sons Legion?

BYE

Matt Eustace. Contributing Author Credits: Church of the Damned, The Lathe Worlds, The Lathe Worlds - The Lost Dataslate, Only War Core Rulebook, Hammer of the Emperor, Shield of Humanity, Tome of Fate, Tome of Blood, Tome of Excess and Tome of Decay.

The views expressed in this post are my own. I do not speak for or on behalf of Fantasy Flight Games.

#52 Routa-maa

Routa-maa

• Members
  • 563 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:50 AM

But doesn't that make sense in some cases? How does one become a Thousand Sons Sorcerer if they're A). Not a sorcerer and B). Not part of the Thousand Sons Legion?

BYE

It makes sense in Thousand Sons Sorcerer (as how to obtain Rubric of Ahriman? Unless Ahriman still want's to make Rubricaes) but how about Warpsmith/Berserker/Noise Marine/Plague Marine.

Everyone might have started as normal marines (Chosen/Champion) but at some time gained Khornes/Nurgles blessing, Fabius Biles loving treatment or training under Warpsmith.

So how to incorporate these advancements, they gain, to old Characters? Just splat them to characters and hope for the best/worst?

Edit: Last text to more coherent

Edited by Routa-maa, 20 May 2014 - 02:02 AM.

Muutokselle annamme Elämän, Elämälle annamme Muutoksen.

#53 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

Lrod-Iniquitsor

• Members
  • 1,749 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 03:17 AM

BYE

Of course it makes sense for the presented options, I'm just saying I don't like the mechanic. A better way of handling it, imo, would be to have the aforementioned system, but at a prerequisite that it can only be taken on creation.

That being said, I'd rather have the option of interesting character developments than the option to play the verymost iconic legions, if the latter necessitates the existence of an overall bad mechanic.

But that's just me.
  • Tenebrae likes this

Real men earn their fun

#54 Tenebrae

Tenebrae

• Members
  • 988 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 05:46 AM

But that's just me.

Nah, not just you.
  • Fgdsfg likes this

#55 Terraneaux

Terraneaux

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:57 AM

In one of our games we did have a Chaos Champion from the Word Bearers Legion who ended up becoming a Dark Apostle.  He took the advancements that were listed as 'given' in the Dark Apostle write-up and spent 500 xp (to account for the extra xp at character creation he didn't use) and that was that.  House rule obviously but it worked pretty well.  

#56 Calgor Grim

Calgor Grim

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 03:38 PM

According to the upcoming section it's "at the printers."  Not sure how long its had that status though.  "Expected by Q2" would imply it should be with us by end of June latest.  Probably cutting it a little fine.

Perhaps if she creates a plague in Nurgles name the answer would be forthcoming.

http://www.amazon.co...t/dp/1616619155

Amazon says in its Product Details "22 Jun 2014"

Loyal Missionary Father Grim of the Kingston 293rd Storm Troopers

#57 Terraneaux

Terraneaux

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 05:06 PM

Yeah but Amazon puts dates on there that are inaccurate sometimes.

#58 Calgor Grim

Calgor Grim

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 06:18 PM

Stop crushing my aspirations and dreams on when this might arrive! :)

Loyal Missionary Father Grim of the Kingston 293rd Storm Troopers

#59 H.B.M.C.

H.B.M.C.

• Members
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:26 PM

Sometimes? ;) 

BYE

• Fgdsfg likes this

#60 Tenebrae

Tenebrae

• Members
  • 988 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 03:01 AM

Sometimes? ;) 

BYE

Yeah. He was trying to be polite.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS