• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Russells teapot

Russells teapot

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:23 AM

Hi all,

I'm delurking having been playing the game for 6 months or so & receiving some great advice from this forum passively.

I'm in need of a tournament kick, and despite this being a mainly relaxed game for me and my gaming group (and other half, and kids), I've seen that there's a store championship not too far from me later this month.  I need to go away and read the tournament rules, and get a bit of play testing in before then though!

With that in mind I've come up with a couple of lists that I haven't seen before.  I'm interested to see if there's a reason for this!

Darth Bomber:

100 points Imperial

Darth Vader - Assault missiles, Daredevil, Engine upgrade

Captain Jonus - Proton torpedos, Cluster missiles, Push the limit

Scimitar squadron - Proton torpedos, Cluster missiles, seismic charge

Pretty simple try to stay long range for a couple of turns then use Vader to try to stay out of arcs.  Looks pretty limited due to pretty poor dials on the bombers, and their suseptibility to crits.  I like the name though...

Teacher's pet

100 points Imperial

Darth Vader - Daredevil, Engine upgrade

Turr Phennir - Push the limit

Academy pilot

Academy pilot

Academy pilot

This one's more aggressive, with Turr & Vader trying to stay out of arcs while doing damage.

To be honest, I'll more than likely take an XXBB or XXAY, but I thought I'd throw something a little odd out there first!

Thanks in advance for the input.

#2 jasonkw

jasonkw

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:41 AM

In my personal opinion, I find Turr with PtL to be a bit redundant with him already getting a free boost/barrel roll after the attack. PtL on Soontir makes more sense because it works well with his pilot ability. I'd see if there were another upgrade to use for 3 points. Perhaps switching out Daredevil on Vader for Engine Upgrade and putting Veteran Instincts on Turr to have two pilots at skill 9 and taking full advantage of Turr's ability to fire then get out of range.

Rebel: A-Wing (x2), X-Wing (x4), YT-1300 (x1), Y-Wing (x1), B-Wing (x1), HWK (x1)
Imperial: TIE Fighter (x7), TIE Interceptor (x2), Firespray (x1), Lambda Shuttle (x1) TIE Bomber (x1)

#3 DraconPyrothayan

DraconPyrothayan

• Members
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:05 AM

In my personal opinion, I find Turr with PtL to be a bit redundant with him already getting a free boost/barrel roll after the attack. PtL on Soontir makes more sense because it works well with his pilot ability. I'd see if there were another upgrade to use for 3 points. Perhaps switching out Daredevil on Vader for Engine Upgrade and putting Veteran Instincts on Turr to have two pilots at skill 9 and taking full advantage of Turr's ability to fire then get out of range.

Fel + PTL + Stealth Device is an incredible combo, for a more traditional experience.

The trick to Turr + PTL is to trigger PTL off of his in-combat free action instead of his normal action step. This lets him Boost AND Barrel-Roll (or either and Evade) to avoid ever being shot at!

#4 SpaceDingo

SpaceDingo

• Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:11 AM

Turr is a monster is you keep your actions straight and get in close. He eats B-Wings for breakfast.

#5 jasonkw

jasonkw

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:17 AM

Fel + PTL + Stealth Device is an incredible combo, for a more traditional experience.

The trick to Turr + PTL is to trigger PTL off of his in-combat free action instead of his normal action step. This lets him Boost AND Barrel-Roll (or either and Evade) to avoid ever being shot at!

I can't believe I've never thought of using it that way before. I always figured PtL had to be used with your action during the activation phase. 

This changes everything...

I still think it's better on Fel, but it would make Turr more unpredictable which many times is worth more if you can use it to your advantage.

• DraconPyrothayan likes this

Rebel: A-Wing (x2), X-Wing (x4), YT-1300 (x1), Y-Wing (x1), B-Wing (x1), HWK (x1)
Imperial: TIE Fighter (x7), TIE Interceptor (x2), Firespray (x1), Lambda Shuttle (x1) TIE Bomber (x1)

#6 Russells teapot

Russells teapot

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:20 AM

Keeping Turr & Vader unpredicible is the reason for Daredevil + EU on Vader, with PTL on Turr

Options are fully open almost all the time!

Any thoughts on the lists?

Edited by Russells teapot, 10 March 2014 - 10:20 AM.

• DraconPyrothayan likes this

#7 DraconPyrothayan

DraconPyrothayan

• Members
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:26 AM

I still think it's better on Fel, but it would make Turr more unpredictable which many times is worth more if you can use it to your advantage.

Basically, both of them get 3 actions when using PTL.
Fel gets a free focus token, and could theoretically double up on focii. He is the easier of the two to use properly.
Turr gets 2 of his 3 actions during combat, and since at least one of them is about repositioning, he'll get to do shots/dodges that no-one else can do.

The more I've used Turr+PTL, the more my opponents have fielded Turrets to specifically counter him, at which point he just dances into Range 3.

• jasonkw likes this

#8 DraconPyrothayan

DraconPyrothayan

• Members
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:27 AM

Keeping Turr & Vader unpredicible is the reason for Daredevil + EU on Vader, with PTL on Turr

Options are fully open almost all the time!

Any thoughts on the lists?

I like Teacher's Pet, as 3 gunboats isn't enough damage for my tastes. I'd much rather field 4-5 bombers with one bit of ordnance each.

• Russells teapot likes this

#9 Russells teapot

Russells teapot

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:36 AM

Thanks Dracon,

I have come to the same conclusion, and I've seen some other bomber lists that I like the look of (Vader too expensive for the list), but I'd have to buy some more bombers, and that's out of the question at the moment.

Thanks all for the input! Now I have some reading to do...

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS