Photo

Opposition Skill Checks... Which one to use???

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Atraangelis

Atraangelis

• Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:03 AM

Hello,

In our last game we had some confusion on some of the skill checks and the opposing skill check.

So how do we know when an opposing skill check is used against the same skill from the opponent or a different skill...

For example, When Negotiating, you roll opposed Negotiation checks for each, player and Npc

and compare results.

But what about when skills dont match?? Would Coersion go against Disipline??

Does Perception go against Stealth?

Any help in understanding the full range of cross check/opposition relations would be greatly apreciated.,

Edited by Atraangelis, 10 March 2014 - 08:04 AM.

Obsidian Portal:Unforeseen Fates

#2 Col. Orange

Col. Orange

• Members
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:12 AM

The rules are a bit floaty on this so as not to limit a GM's options.  The GM and the PCs really need to get at least a basic understanding of what each skill is "for" (not hard - they're quite descriptive just in name) and negotiate what gets used.

Trying to scare some sap?  Coerce vs. Discipline.

Trying to befriend them?  If you're trying to manipulate them it's probably Charm vs. Perception.  If you're genuine it's probably vs. a fixed difficulty (default 2 purple, but if they're in a risky profession it may be harder, if they're having a sh*tty day maybe add one or more black dice).

Stealth is usually opposed by Perception, yes (though an argument can be made for vs. Vigilance).

EDIT: You can also have fun switching out stats.  e.g. if you wanted to impress another pilot with a story about blockade running try Pilot + Presence instead of Agility.

Edited by Col. Orange, 10 March 2014 - 08:23 AM.

• Ghostofman likes this

What's written above is meant with love

#3 FangGrip

FangGrip

• Members
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:13 AM

Hello,

In our last game we had some confusion on some of the skill checks and the opposing skill check.

So how do we know when an opposing skill check is used against the same skill from the opponent or a different skill...

For example, When Negotiating, you roll opposed Negotiation checks for each, player and Npc

and compare results.

But what about when skills dont match?? Would Coersion go against Disipline??

Does Perception go against Stealth?

Any help in understanding the full range of cross check/opposition relations would be greatly apreciated.,

When it comes to social skills, there is a side bar that lists the various possibilities.  For everything else, use common sense and group agreement like Col. Orange suggests.

Check out a truly universal RPG with Free Starter Rules at www.AlphaChronicles.com!

Check out the Consummate Gamer Blog for everything that isn't Alpha Chronicles.

#4 Ghostofman

Ghostofman

• Members
  • 1,789 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:41 AM

Also you don't need opposed checks every time there's a situation with another character. Establishing a baseline difficulty for a non critical check against a throwaway NPC is totally acceptable, and a lot faster then trying to stat out every NPC no matter how trivial their role.

MAGIC HEADPHONES PROTECT ME FROM THE SPACE!

#5 Atraangelis

Atraangelis

• Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:45 AM

@Col. Orange Awesome idead swaping out stats

@ Ghost, Absolutely understand , I only oppose with proper opposition against Adversaty and nemessis.. with minions i do "Standard 2 purple"

Obsidian Portal:Unforeseen Fates

#6 zilvar

zilvar

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:37 AM

You could probably make a good argument for using Cool vs Charm or (to a lesser extent) coercion.

During my most recent session I provided the players with a list of 'obvious' skills to check against when various things were happening.  They're all new to RPGs in general, and we're all new to the system, so I'm trying to get them thinking about it.  As time goes on, I'm going to do that less and less and encourage them to talk me into using whatever random, oddball skill they think they can put past me.

• Brother Orpheo and kaosoe like this

The Adventures of Bindy'ana Jo'ness.  -  http://zilvar.livejournal.com/tag/rpg

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS