Perfect roll

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 WeedyGrot

WeedyGrot

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 03:37 PM

Has anyone got any interesting house rules for when someone makes that perfect 01 roll on a skill test?

I know there are already degrees of success but the fact that a 01 is such a rare roll perhaps it needs something more than that.

I was considering giving the the person that rolled the 01 a permanant +1 to the skill in question if they already had the skill trained. Something to signify that they had a moment of clarity and now actually understand the skill a little better.

I know it isn't likely to come up a lot but I think it could help to get the players excited when it does.

#2 Erathia

Erathia

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 04:42 PM

Usually they let me know exactly what they expect should happen, and then I sigh and get all upset before reluctantly revealing plot details that I wanted them to have, and then they advance the plot in exactly the way I had hoped.

For combat it usually means "Attack cannot be dodged or parried". 

Edited by Erathia, 09 March 2014 - 04:42 PM.

• Simsum, Tenebrae and WeedyGrot like this

Citizens of Grace! We have defeated both the Dark Eldar and Ork menaces that threatened your system! We need no thanks nor payments, so long as you do not leave the atmosphere during our salvage operations under pain of death! - Jequin Hos of The Hos Dynasty

#3 Crystal Geyser

Crystal Geyser

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 06:17 PM

In combat I say that the hit bypasses armor, having hit just that sweet spot. There was once an interesting occurrence when an arch-militant managed to score a 01 to hit with a Man-Portable Lascannon - who knew that Chaos Space Marine eye lenses were so fragile?

For skill checks, I generally just say that the results are suitably awesome with cinematic description, and with lore checks I tell them everything their character could possibly know.

#4 WilliamAsher

WilliamAsher

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 06:18 PM

I usually have a 01 result in a positive advantage (such as bypassing armor or having that new boltgun you purchased have a clip of rare ammo in it).  On the same token, a 00 is painful experience.  Of course, my players are unwilling to let a 00 stand even on the most innocuous of rolls.  Chatting up that lady at the bar, unfortunately she is a Chaos psyker looking for a sacrifice...

#5 Kasatka

Kasatka

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:33 AM

We use the d20 standard rule of there being a 1 in 20 chance of a great or terrible thing happening - a critical if you will. This means any roll of 01 - 05 succeeds and any roll of 96-00 fails. This gives a chance for even a lowly mook to score a blow against powerful enemies, or an average crewman to suddenly have some insight and pull off a task nobody expected them to. Similarly even the most potent enemy can occasionally stumble or forget something.

For degrees of success we have variably ruled a 'crit' roll as being the maximum possible effect in the given situation (ie if a weapon has the accurate trait, then you rolled well enough to fully activate it).

Only the insane have strength enough to prosper.

Only those that prosper may truly judge what is sane.

#6 Errant

Errant

• Members
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:54 PM

Technically speaking you're supposed to confirm the critical in D&D, so it's generally closer to 1 in 400, leaving alone the fact that skill checks don't crit by RAW.

#7 Erathia

Erathia

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:48 PM

Technically speaking you're supposed to confirm the critical in D&D, so it's generally closer to 1 in 400, leaving alone the fact that skill checks don't crit by RAW.

Well "confirming" a crit means you hit on a second attack roll, and unless you're a wizard with a non-proficient weapon the odds will be quite a bit better than 1 in 400. A combat-focused character can usually hit someone's AC on a roll of 11+, so that'll be 1 in 40, meaning they'll crit two and a half times in combat during a session to equal the one you'll get in RT.

Citizens of Grace! We have defeated both the Dark Eldar and Ork menaces that threatened your system! We need no thanks nor payments, so long as you do not leave the atmosphere during our salvage operations under pain of death! - Jequin Hos of The Hos Dynasty

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS