Photo

Hunters for the Black Cowl (post Enemy Within)

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 04:30 PM

https://the-awkward-...m/adventure-log

Poor Cold Martin session up.

They finally decide to use a rowboat (the Player who insisted he didn't want to get into a boat in armour absent).  Still using Paizo's forest chase cards for encounters and used a WFRP-adapted selection of the Paizo social combat cards for the challenges of getting information out of the mad Martin (who is the bandit Martin they had heard of vanishing - they don't seem to have added that up).

His babbling revealed that the hex dolls the witches make can be used to inflict powerful spells on people "remaking them (the person)" (image from madaflred's supplement again) and his babbling otherwise spoke of what they did they shouldn't have which was treason no matter what he had done to them.  I'm using the Swords novels' explanation of something but changing "who and why" - a certain Sigmarite family was involved with helping burn lots of witches and the witches got their revenge in the end...

That's the real "big reveal" hidden in the woods, we'll see if they figure it out.

I enjoyed acting out poor cold Martin - need to put more babbling madmen in game.

Added - the fact they are heading to meet witches on the 13th of the month (a Bezahltag so not equivalent of Friday) is pure coincidence but nice one.

Edited by valvorik, 19 September 2014 - 07:05 PM.

#22 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 03:22 PM

Next session up.

The fight was a near thing, at one point we were expecting a couple of deaths or at least 'waking up a prisoner of witches'.  Yes indeed a Swordmaster is a great dealer of damage but can only be one place at a time and can't take it endlessly.  And in this case may have killed someone they will wish they hadn't (from post game player chatter I think they are 'adding up' some things, having just burned most of the evidence).

For man with bear I again used an image from madalfred's old faith document.

#23 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 02:57 PM

One thing that is bugging me is that the player of elf mage who has chosen wind of fire - Aqshy - plays his character as a colourful coward - in a blackadder style.  Though entertaining enough it strikes me as very much out of line with the traits of fire - passion, brashness, rashness, courage, petulance etc etc.  When he first wanted to enter a magic-career I thought it would be grey magic he choose, or perhaps azyr (he has skygazer talent).

For example, learning there are 3 witches usually, sometimes 8 - another character wanting to "go big" and try to get all 8, saying meeting 8 is too much so lets go after them while 3 (instead for example of simply being impatient to go after the 3 rather than giving a risk-aversion basis for choice). Then, having lost something his sister gave him for safekeeping (well, had it stolen but she will see it as having lost), wanting to leave town before his sister arrives (expected next month) to avoid her anger over matter (rather than say being impatient and unwilling to wait around so going off on some pursuit).

I've warned him twice, given him a list of Aqshy-type personality traits among which he could invoke, and now feel that the winds of aqshy will start recoiling from his call (added challenge die on channeling).

#24 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 08:16 PM

Next session up

https://the-awkward-...-burnings-begin

Edrahil's player good about "not knowing who that probably was" and having to have it explained when he is actually the one player who probably had figured out as he reads my wiki background etc. most.  He's good about not using information a PC wouldn't know unless he can justify his current PC finding it out.

This sees my own "what happened to Leopold" answer (the mystery suggested in my Electoral Crisis document).  The fact he killed "the Black Cowl"'s father in a duel adds to motivation but his witch-hunt support is the only thing players have figured out so far.

Elke's player is good at being a witch hunter, setting the village of Tannfeld "in the line of inquiry" despite always being well-treated there (they don't appear to suspect that Goodwife Torf is the one who got the hair etc. needed to make hex dolls of them).

Behind scenes, I rule that hex dolls can only be invested under a full moon, so the "unaccounted for" doll of either Edrahil or Elke is now "active" and can be used against its subject.

#25 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 05:43 PM

Averland Burns

Session Up

This included a narrative "create your own action" - three issue process for resolving both progress of inquiries and how the situation in Averland played out, widespread witch hunts or focused inquiries, do the noble families' differences get inflamed, what happens with the magical sites found?  It all went south except for the last and the inquiries found the inflammatory information (stole a bit from Swords Novels) but didn't reach the stage marked "UNMASKING!"

Two handouts about history of witches in Averland and their worship of Ecate (drawing on and spinning a bit Mad Alfred material) also provided in course of inquiries.

We are at long last prepared to being travelling south to reach the ship that will take us to the Southlands!  Admit I've not done nearly as much as I wanted to on that front, ah well.  In the meantime, there will be some shenanigans in the Border Princes.

The "wayshard" is a homebrew magic item card based on item in the High Elf Army Book.  Avallyne also had a wand for her brother, a gift to help him in the magic-poor Southlands, but in anger is with-holding it now.

I should add the slavery-backstory of Tor Nel'Odri is based on an article in an old Warpstone about the history of slavery in the Old World.  I liked its addition to elven history and "complication" of the colonial issue.  It also helps explain the "hidden colonial holdout" being of elves who have no ethical trouble using human slaves (not quite druchii but "old fashioned") and thus the folktales about "elves kidnapping people" in Averland. 

Edited by valvorik, 18 October 2014 - 08:02 AM.

#26 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 04:03 PM

Next session up, a belated Halloween session

The flying black shadowy snarls are my own creation, Dhar Worm Swarm %%%

Based on bat swarm but then modified, they are flying manifestations of dhar energy, found in areas where dhar energies have long pooled.  Tales among necromancers and warlocks speak of capturing them and using them to power dark magic.

The PC's are actually in an area of 'dhar taint' but no magical sight has been used, the reference to channeling and "oily film" reflects one of the effects.  No one tried any Knowledge or other checks to figure out what they were.

The adventure overall draws on the background one Player created for his PC (Edrahil), how he was falsely accused by a witch hunter and saved when a Verenan intervened in his trial.  This was in the Border Princes territory and now those figures are "coming back on the stage".

#27 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 06:37 PM

Next session up

We complete the belated Halloween undead sidetrek in which I use some Paizo cards and old D&D miniatures (skull lord etc) as well as GW tomb kings ones.

https://the-awkward-...e-orgil-caverns

This also sees the set up for the epic 8 week voyage to the Southlands.

We see the 3rd permanent wound appear.  Now both the humans have mobility-related permanent wounds.  Obviously if surviving the jungle means running from a predator, the elves are safe!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS