New to game questions on Items, trinkets, encounters, etc

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 eagletsi111

eagletsi111

• Members
  • 305 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 08:09 AM

1) So we played last night, our character got the Sword of St. Jerome.    Now encounters a monster.    Can he use the sword versus the Monsters Mind and Strength test or does he have to choose just one per encounter? 

2) One of our other players, had the 45 automatic, and another item which add's +1 to strength in combat.    Can he use both?

3) When a player is on an encounter with a Clue and a Monster, does he have to fight the monster to get the clue.    We played it that way assuming the Monster was protecting the clue, but I couldn't find it in the rules.   Is there an order of encounters, so you have to fight the monster first, before anything else?

4) When on a city space with a monster, I know you can't rest, but can you still use other actions, like aquire objects from the bank? 

Thanks in Advance,

We are planning to play again today, so I was hoping I could get these resolved.

Eagletsi

#2 Ralzar

Ralzar

• Members
  • 512 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 08:42 AM

1: You can only apply one stat bonus for each test. But there is no rule against using the same card multiple times in a round (unless the card states differently). A combat is two seperate tests, so the sword can be used on both tests.

2: No. You can only apply one stat bonus to a test. (Notice I say stat bonus though. You can still add extra dice to the roll by using stuff like Urban Guide which just says "add one dice" instead of "+1 Strength")

3: In the encounter phase you HAVE to fight all the monsters. Then if there are NO MORE MONSTERS you may choose to have a normal encounter (Clue, city, gate etc)

4: No. If you look at the phase overview on the back of the reference book; it clearly states, for each action, if it can not be used while there are monsters on the space.

Edit: Speaking of the back of the reference book: Once you have a handle on the rules, you should just keep this in front of you at all times as it clearly specifies the sequence of several things that new players tend to mess up. For example, what sequence to resolve reckoning effects.

Edited by Ralzar, 09 March 2014 - 08:45 AM.

#3 eagletsi111

eagletsi111

• Members
  • 305 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:34 AM

Great!   Thanks.     I got it.  

Lastly, after you defeat a monster with a gate and a clue.   You can only choose to encounter one of them per turn correct?   -  Never mind found it on the back of the guide.

Looking at the back of the reference guide now.   Very helpful.

But for travel, it doesn't say purchase a type of ticket which only has the connecting line to your current location.    I assume that is an oversight, since in the Prepare for travel section it says you can only buy a train ticket if your space is connected by a train path and a Boat ticket if connected by a boat path..

Edited by eagletsi111, 09 March 2014 - 09:35 AM.

#4 Ralzar

Ralzar

• Members
  • 512 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 10:01 AM

But for travel, it doesn't say purchase a type of ticket which only has the connecting line to your current location.    I assume that is an oversight, since in the Prepare for travel section it says you can only buy a train ticket if your space is connected by a train path and a Boat ticket if connected by a boat path..

I am not quite sure what you are asking here. It is only when you prepare to travel that you recieve a ticket. Then you use the travel action in order to spend the ticket. To break it down:

Prepare to travel: Take a ticket. You can only take a train ticket if your city is connected to a railway or a boat ticket if your city is connected to a seaway. You may not possess more than two tickets.

Travel: Move one step. Then spend one or two tickets to move along travel routes that match the tickets you spend.

Edited by Ralzar, 09 March 2014 - 10:04 AM.

#5 eagletsi111

eagletsi111

• Members
  • 305 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:16 AM

Thanks for confirming!!   

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS