• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 07:15 PM

Character generation includes a vague reference to what characters being with for trappings.  "Knick-knacks" is referenced.  That's fine with me.  I don't mind a little obscurity for trivial items, but I'm getting to the point now where I rather have some more actual ideas.  All that is currently suggested is candles and a tinderbox.

What else would you put in the Knick-knacks category?

#2 drallcome

drallcome

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:38 PM

how about rope , everyone needs rope !

#3 doc_cthulhu

doc_cthulhu

• Members
  • 731 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:06 AM

Stuff from Expanded Characters Module by Dave Graffam! This stuff is pure gold and it deserve to be used in 3rd edition too. Knick-knacks might end up being a barrel of salted fish that the character just must keep with him because he thinks it is blessed.

• Emirikol, valvorik, Yepesnopes and 1 other like this

The Daily Empire - An inspirational & resource site for all games of Warhammer

The Guild Blog - A blog about RPGs, games (and apparently comics) by my gaming group

#4 PiltharShokmeister

PiltharShokmeister

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 08:33 PM

Eating utensils. Grooming implements. A needle and thread. Polish and rags for maintaining steel. Whet stone. Spare under clothes. Small Religious symbol. Candle. Flint and tinder. String. Lucky items; such as bone, penny or feather. Pebble. Flower. An insect. A crude compass.

It does make you wonder what is worth carrying, but not worth naming...

#5 k7e9

k7e9

• Members
  • 844 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:15 PM

Knick-knacks might depend a bit on what career the character is as well. A troll slayer might have different knick-knacks than a courtier.

The troll slayer knick-knacks would probably include hair dye, grease (to make the mowhawk stand up), a beer pint, all tools needed to keep weapons in good condition, some reminder of the shame that forced him/her to become a slayer and so on. I would imagine that the courtier would have none of those things.

#6 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

• Members
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 04:58 AM

Stuff from Expanded Characters Module by Dave Graffam! This stuff is pure gold and it deserve to be used in 3rd edition too. Knick-knacks might end up being a barrel of salted fish that the character just must keep with him because he thinks it is blessed.

So many years playing the 1st and 2nd edition, how in gods name this thing escaped to me??

Thanks a lot!

The Book of the Asur - High Elf fan supplement

The Dark Side - Witches, Warlocks, Dark Magic and more

Secrets of the Anvil - Advanced Dwarf careers and runes

Dice statistics calculator for SW EotE

#7 GMmL

GMmL

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 06:16 AM

a pipe and tobacco!

#8 Roland the Red

Roland the Red

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:55 AM

Check a womans purse. Knick knack central.

#9 DurakBlackaxe

DurakBlackaxe

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 03:58 AM

Am i the only one thinking Rat catcher and give the dog a bone?

a small trivial article usually intended for ornament

A rabbits foot, a lucky feather, a locket with your loves hair in it. hmm

#10 socratim

socratim

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 07:33 AM

I suppose you are an American and refer to a handbag, right?  ;)

Well, I am no woman, but I also have kind of a handbag. And it also is Knick-Knack-Central!

- cable-straps

- a refree's whistle

- pencils and ball point pens

- medications

- tablet-pc

- analogue calendar

- USB-stick

- phone

- tissues

- chewing gum

- rosary

:)

Edit: Sorry for taking it off-topic - couln't resist...  :ph34r:

Edited by socratim, 11 March 2014 - 07:56 AM.

#11 socratim

socratim

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:10 AM

On a serious note:

I don't play with Knick-Knacks. I give some fan-made reference-sheets to the characters and let them buy their starting equipment (with individual restrictions).

Normally in the adventures there is the point, where someone wants to do something and I ask "do you have xxx?" After some more of those incidents they know, what to buy.

We had a ranger once, who was like a walking kitchen. Even now, long after that career (of another system) people ask him now and again "do you have your copper-pot with you?"

#12 Fenderstat

Fenderstat

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:36 PM

how about rope , everyone needs rope !

It must be 10 yards.  No more, no less.  

WFRP3 Online game forum - http://ffgvirtualrpg.prediger.at/

#13 Fenderstat

Fenderstat

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:40 PM

I used to.  I use to make them write out knick knacks and if they didn't have it when push comes to shove they didn't have it. Misq inventory and managing encumbrance is something I love.  Then I realized only I loved doing that so now I don't do it.

• Emirikol likes this

WFRP3 Online game forum - http://ffgvirtualrpg.prediger.at/

#14 Roland the Red

Roland the Red

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:39 AM

I suppose you are an American and refer to a handbag, right?  ;)

Well, I am no woman, but I also have kind of a handbag. And it also is Knick-Knack-Central!

- cable-straps

- a refree's whistle

- pencils and ball point pens

- medications

- tablet-pc

- analogue calendar

- USB-stick

- phone

- tissues

- chewing gum

- rosary

:)

Edit: Sorry for taking it off-topic - couln't resist...  :ph34r:

I don't think its off topic at all. Its exactly how you should think about knick-knacks. Over half that list has a direct correlation to a PC in a game (tissues, pencils, rosary, etc). Things like phone could be "calling cards", address book, or even a coupon book for courier services, etc.

As an aside, E.G. Gygax developed a game called "Dangerous Journeys" that had as its monetary system a neat little trick. Money was a "B.U.C" or Basic Unit of Currency. A cheap used, mostly reliable, car costs about $2000 in the US. That would equate to 2000 BUCs. In a fantasy setting, a cart, wagon, carriage, etc is similar to a car (with the horse and tack) so a cheap, used, mostly reliable carriage might be about 2000 BUCs. In that fantasy setting silver might be the Basic Unit of Currency therefore 2000 silver for the carriage. Not perfect, sure, but a nifty 1st approximation.

• socratim likes this

#15 Eradico Pravus

Eradico Pravus

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:46 PM

I once played a dock-hand and at chargen gave him a lucky fishhook. After advancing him several xp, another character (watchman) borrowed the prized fishhook to use as a makeshift needle. My pernicious GM had the watchman make a roll and sure enough, a chaos star came up. Imagine my righteous indignation when the watchman sheepishly returned it to me bent and misshapen. I said nothing, instead giving him the ol' stinkeye while the other players (and GM) hooted with delight. 

And as fate would have it, later in the session my dock-hand died at the claws of swamp zombies. And I'm sure it had EVERYTHING to do with the damaged fishhook.

Knick-knacks can lead to serendipity and general silliness. I like them and love this list.  :)

• Emirikol likes this

#16 Mexorlon

Mexorlon

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 02:27 AM

I have chosen a different approach...(FATE inspired)
If you need a normal noneccential item...pay a Fortune point and as long as it furthers the game fine, if it interferes With my story (gm) Nope you cannot have it...unless you made an effort and bought it last you were in a City.

My 2 pennies
Mex

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS