Age of X wing players

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#101 Gullwind

Gullwind

• Members
  • 623 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:20 PM

43, but my 13 year-old son and 9 year-old daughter love the game. I remember going to see Star Wars after it opened in May of '77, and my birthday wish in November was to go see it again. It was still in theaters six months later. You don't see that anymore.

#102 Parravon

Parravon

• Members
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:25 PM

"gaming" games in general tend to appeal to 20 and 30 somethings more than younger kids. The teenagers frequently latch onto RPGs. I have always figured it is a disposable income thing. Teens just don't have the money to get into miniature games as much as people with jobs do.

I'd beg to differ on that. A couple of years ago we had quite a few youngsters at our local gaming club playing 40K. They were all aged 12-14ish, and seemed to have rather extensive armies. Seemed to be a case of "Dad, I need some more figures. It's only a couple of hundred bucks", followed by "OK son."

Mind you when one of them showed up with a Thunderhawk Gunship made from styro foam packing, and another with a Warhound titan made from Lego, I suspect the fathers had finally done the maths and closed the wallet.

The guys in our group that are playing XWM are all in their 40s though, so I suspect it's a bit of a nostalgia thing with our group. We all remember the movies from when we were kids. Those were the days... a long time ago, in a childhood far, far away.

Rick

Hastings, New Zealand

3 X-Wing, 2 A-Wing, 1 Y-Wing, 1 B-Wing, 1 E-Wing, 1 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300

3 TIE Fighters, 3 TIE Int, 1 TIE Adv, 1 TIE Bomber, 1 TIE Phantom, 1 TIE Defender, 1 Firespray-31

#103 Parravon

Parravon

• Members
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:32 PM

I do not know what it is like in the US or other places on planet Earth, but here in the UK there is another reason why, even if youngsters do want to play, they can't, in a public/club atmosphere at least. Adults and kids can only mix here under supervision, someone in a club has to be responsible for child safety, and I mean up to 18 years old. Many clubs, make an effort and jump through the official crud to become 'child' friendly but many simply say that anyone under 16 cannot join and anyone under 18 has to be accompanied by an adult! So you can join the Forces here, but you can't join a wargame club, go figure.

I just showed my 13 year old daughter your post, and she said "That's just retarded". I too find that fairly ridiculous. Do the bureaucrats think all wargamers are paedophiles or something? I've been gaming at wargames clubs since I was 13. Thankfully we don't have such problems in New Zealand. Knowing that GW has been aiming their products at younger gamers, how do their stores get around these restrictions with their in-store games?

Rick

Hastings, New Zealand

3 X-Wing, 2 A-Wing, 1 Y-Wing, 1 B-Wing, 1 E-Wing, 1 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300

3 TIE Fighters, 3 TIE Int, 1 TIE Adv, 1 TIE Bomber, 1 TIE Phantom, 1 TIE Defender, 1 Firespray-31

#104 Pirrekurr

Pirrekurr

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 02:08 AM

I'm 38. My son is playing and he is 6, although we don't use any ships with special abilities nor upgrades when we play since he can't read, and neither is he English speaking.

My friends that play are between 25-45.

#105 Soontirbeblownup

Soontirbeblownup

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 02:48 AM

40 (going on 8 and a half) here, our gaming club players are around the 25-50 age group mainly because of the cost of the ships I think. Most of us have kids so wouldn't have a problem playing a game with anyones kids or younger players, hell I might even play on the old man angle!

Someone else (sorry can't remember who!) mentioned that their parents introduced them in the correct film order, did that with my son when he was small and although the prequels are his generation he loves the originals! he's 16 now and play x-wing every weekend we get a chance, he's talking about coming to the Assault at Idmaar tournament in our town too but depends on what his girlfriend is doing that day! That made me laugh, I had to ask permission and it seems he has to as well! lol

• Khyros likes this

#106 any2cards

any2cards

• Members
  • 794 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:33 AM

I was fascinated while reading this thread ... I often wondered what the average demographics were for games such as this.  Apparently I helped to skew the average age range slightly up ... I will be 73 in July, and enjoy anything Star Wars (or sci-fi in general) related.

To be honest, I am not sure what I enjoy more ... playing the X-Wing game, or collecting all of the miniatures that make up the game.

• DoubleNot7, Khyros and Caliber42 like this

#107 Lord Cedric

Lord Cedric

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:43 AM

I just turned 39 late March. My gaming club has players ranging from 25-45. I have also got my two daughters hooked on playing Wargames and they love Warhammer Fantasy (my oldest 13 loves Wood Elves and Orcs & Goblins, my 10 year old loves Dark Elves) and do enjoy playing X-Wing too. 

- Lord Cedric

X-WingRebels - Mellenium Falcon x2, X-Wing x6, Y-Wing x7, B-Wing x7, A-WIng x7, HWk-290 x2, E-Wing x4,

Z-95 Headhunter x8, Rebel Transport x2, Tantive IV x1

Empire: Tie Fighter x6, Tie Bomber x3, Tie Interceptor x2 (181st x3, Royal Guard x3), Tie Advanced

x3, Tie Defender x3, Lamda Shuttle x2, Slave 1 Firespray x2, Tie Phantom x4

#108 Caliber42

Caliber42

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:50 AM

Edge of 42 here. I have a small core group I play with, 19-40's. Despite the age gap the interest and love of the genre and games keeps us gaming together.

-Cal

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS