Age of X wing players

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#41 DarkFather

DarkFather

• Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 12:19 AM

Pilot of the 44th Sqdn here (45 in July). I'll still be in the hobby when I'm in diapers and being cared for in an aged facility. Age be damned.

• DoubleNot7 and MikeEMcGee like this

8x TIE/ln, 4x TIE/adv, 7x TIE/int, 4x TIE/Bomber, 2x Firespray, 2x Shuttle, 7x X-wing, 4x Y-wing, 3x A-wing, 3x B-wing, 2x YT-1300, 1x GR-75.

#42 GroggyGolem

GroggyGolem

• Members
  • 564 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 01:59 AM

Rookie Pilot here. (21 pts) Several of my friends are around my age and have some X-Wing swag. Only two of those people that own it actually play regularly. Sadly, one is out of State.

I taught my parents how to play. My first match was with my older brother. I plan to teach anyone I know that would be interested in trying it out provided that they 1. can understand the game and 2. treat my miniatures with respect (never touch the laser cannons).

• Geoffy likes this

Rebels: 3 X-Wing, 1 Y-Wing, 1 A-Wing, 1 B-Wing, 1 YT-1300

Imperials: 5 TIE/LN, 1 TIE/ADV, 1 TIE/IN, 1 Firespray-31

#43 Hujoe Bigs

Hujoe Bigs

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 02:21 AM

I think you misunderstood me. I am not invalidating any one yet you are invalidating what I say because our personal experiences differ. I am saying from my personal experience any age group will have its share of none polite gamers. Now this isn't saying all are like that nor is it same in every group. I will game with who ever and where ever as long as my opponents are considerate and share the same enthusiasm of the game.

And to answer your question about the LGSs, the local one encourages younger gamers with specific scheduling for groups to get together to play with younger ones, and there are a few young ones that play at other times and I've never heard any one have issues with it.

Edit:quoting from a phone doesn't work well.

Edited by Hujoe Bigs, 08 March 2014 - 02:24 AM.

• Syleh Forge likes this

Rebels: 4 X-wings, 2-Y-Wings, 3 A-Wings, 3 E-wings, 4 Z-95s, 1 YT-1300, 2 B-Wings, 2 HWK-290, 1 CR90, 1 GR-75 

Imperials: 5 Tie/Ln, 1 Tie/Adv, 7 Tie/In, 2 Tie/Sa, 2 Tie/D, 3 Phantoms, 1 FireSpray, 2 Lambda

#44 Swedge

Swedge

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 06:51 AM

good conversation!!  i am 48 and started this game mainly because i thought the miniatures were really cool looking, grew up playing games like Sopwith,Starfleet battles, modern warfare, modern navel warfare,squad leader, SPI's Airwar. pretty much any game by Avlon Hill. even played magic realm.. which i liked much better then D&D which most of the kids in my hood flocked too, never really liked the never ending aspect of that game nor the fact that you needed a DM to play and it was kind of made up as you went along.. magic realm eliminated all the DM silliness! Any way as far as teens not playing i think its a combo of what others are saying, too busy trying to chase girls, AND no disposable income to use on miniatures, (car stereos, fart pipes and cell phones are expensive!!!!). seems like the "magic' crowd is significantly younger than the "miniature crowd"

anybody in the Sumter S.C. area???

#45 librarian101

librarian101

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:28 AM

Will I look to be the old fogy in the mix, will be 67 this month, been gaming since well since.  My son got me started on X-Wing, because I was looking for something new, that was fast and fun.  Oh and dont think because I am 67 that I am out of it.  I walk 2 to 3 miles a day and during the summer I bike 12 to 15 miles.  I have seen both kids and old timers freak out at games and believe me both can be ugly.

• Chris Maes likes this

#46 haslo

haslo

• Members
  • 554 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 12:36 PM

35 here. Seems to be pretty average then  :P - most people I know that play the game (and that's not many) are in their 20s to 30s, too.

#47 Rocket Launcher

Rocket Launcher

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 12:44 PM

Rocket launcher is going to celebrate the 20th anniversary of his 20th birthday :blink:

Ages range from 18 to 40ish at our club...

IQ is about 15 years old!

#48 The_Brown_Bomber

The_Brown_Bomber

• Members
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 01:53 PM

my playgroup is 30-40's. at tourneys u typically see mid 20s-30's with a few oldies like me (42 last count) :)

• Euph3m1sm likes this

"There will be a substantial reward for anyone who finds the Millenium Falcon. You are free to use whatever means necessary, but I want them alive. No disintegration!".

Lord Vader

#49 catachan23

catachan23

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 03:00 PM

Seems 30ish is the average age, and I am going to add myself to that group as well because I will be 29 in May.  

The group I play with are all in their 30s except for the few guys that have kids old enough to be into the game as well.   

Scum: 5 X-Wing 3 Z-95 3 Y-Wing 2 B-Wing 2 A-Wing 1 E-Wing 1 HWK 1 YT-1300 1 GR-75
Villany: 7 TIEs 4 TIE/Int 3 TIE/Bomb 2 TIE/Defender 1 TIE/Adv 1 TIE/Phantom 1 Firespray 1 Lambda
Incoming:  (Currently Waiting For Wallet To Replenish)  1 RebAces 1 YT-2400  2 VT-49                                                                                                                

"Sorry About The Mess." - Han Solo

#50 StorminWolf

StorminWolf

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 03:42 PM

I am 31. Have been gaming RPG's Boardganes and Tabletops actively for almost 20 years. Used to play mtg back in 1994-1998 and tried it again 2012 for a brief period. That's for the background. I think age does not matter at all with behaviour, I played with 11 year olds 40k and mtg with 50 ish people and everything in between. I had lots of great times and some not so great ones. For examples the worst experiences where with older people of 25+, I.e. I went to a mtg release tournament and did beat in a fair game one of the local hero's, who got upset over it and set with crossed arms and almost crying through the other two games. And folded in the end. This guy was at least 21. Another example was when a guy insisted in having his kid play drakon with us. But instead of helping the kid with rules and stuff he used all of his own turns to assist his son and thus ruined the experience for the rest. The younger kids are most of the time happy to have an older fellow play with them at all and if you tree eat them with respect they as well will try their outermost to give you a great experience. ...

So imho I rather play a teen or kid than a grumpy smelly older guy who then bis he is the best and gets upset if he gets beaten. A kid is allowed to get upset but will receive help and if you just insist shaking hands before and after and stressing that the main thing is a great time to be had by all participants you almost never run into problems....

Also even if you get frustrated due to bad dice etc. and want to fold that is fine but state the reason why: stress you are willing to have another game but admit that you are sorry but atm you are not having dun. Which is up to you and not cased by your opponent. Also if you lose ask your opponent about what you could have done better or different.

Shortly said I do not care about age. I care about your behaviour than playing. 

• Revanchist likes this

Hear the wolf.

Feel it's breath.

Die beneath it's fangs.

#51 catachan23

catachan23

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 04:26 PM

I think it is our responsibility as gamers to make sure that we play fair, play courteous, and play to have fun. It is a game after all.  That said, we all have stories of playing "that ******* guy" or "that bratty kid."  

Losing at a game is ok, as long as both players are having fun.  Everyone needs to remember that.   

• GroggyGolem, Duke of Advil and LeoHowler like this

Scum: 5 X-Wing 3 Z-95 3 Y-Wing 2 B-Wing 2 A-Wing 1 E-Wing 1 HWK 1 YT-1300 1 GR-75
Villany: 7 TIEs 4 TIE/Int 3 TIE/Bomb 2 TIE/Defender 1 TIE/Adv 1 TIE/Phantom 1 Firespray 1 Lambda
Incoming:  (Currently Waiting For Wallet To Replenish)  1 RebAces 1 YT-2400  2 VT-49                                                                                                                

"Sorry About The Mess." - Han Solo

#52 ramy

ramy

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 04:35 PM

Red 39 checking in, 40 in August. The guys I play with are in their late 20's.
I have no issues playing with anyone so long as they act maturely.

Same here 40 in July

#53 Shanturin

Shanturin

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 03:35 AM

Wow, I'm actually surprised by the average age of players here. I'm from Poland and in my gaming group most people are in their middle-twenties (say, 22-27), me myself being 24. This seem to be the case in other groups around the country, with only a few players exceeding 30th year of life. We actually have more teenage players. Out of 40+ people attending our National Championship I belive no more than 10 were older than 30 and obut the same amount of teenagers were present. 

I personally don't mind playing with younger players (nor older ones). The thing about X-wing is (compared to other wargaming communities) it that it's very sportsmanship and player-friendly environment - I have yet to meet an X-wing opponent who's rude, cheats or generally mean.

• catachan23 likes this

May my blade be sharp. May I sculpt a new fate for my enemies.

#54 danikstarik

danikstarik

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:28 AM

Ah, I'm just 16. But soon will be one year older!

#55 zathras23

zathras23

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:32 PM

I'm 54 (55 on the 21st) and I'm the old man of my gaming group. The rest of the people in my group are about half my age or younger. I don't mind playing the younger folks as long as they act mature when they play.

#56 KommanderKeldoth

KommanderKeldoth

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:06 AM

27 years old here.  Pretty much everyone in my gaming group is around that age vicinity.  X-wing is actually the first miniatures wargame that I've gotten into after years of playing D&D and other table-top RPGs in addition to board wargames (Axis & Allies, Twilight Imperium etc.)

This game bit me pretty hard!  I played two matches with my friend's base set and went out and dropped $100 on models the very next day!  Now I've spent a lot more than that...  Luckily I have a room mate that love the game too so I get to play 3-4 times a week.

#57 Khyros

Khyros

• Members
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:32 AM

Cool.  Interesting to see all the variations and different experiences everyone has had with players.

I by no means would consider this a "hardcore" game either, thus the quotes I used around the phrase.  But it does require (at least for me) traveling to my LGS and tourneys where I interact with people outside of my family/friends to play the game.

The fleet:  

Spoiler

#58 Asgo

Asgo

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:15 AM

my experience for gaming in general is, that it is easiest to play with people who can enjoy a game even when loosing.

That doesn't mean, you can't play competitively, but the win shouldn't be the only positive motivation to play.

Many of the named issues can be reduced to that, aside perhaps from having missed basic manners 101. ;)

• dpbohr, GroggyGolem and catachan23 like this

#59 Guitarquero

Guitarquero

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:20 AM

Im the youngest at my LGS that plays i believe, Majority of the guys are from late 20's to maybe early 40's.

Im 20 btw = P

Rebels: 4 Xwings, 2 Ywings, 2 Awings, 2 Bwings, 2 HWK 290, 2 YT-1300

Imperials: 6 TIE, 3 TIE/In, 2 TIE/A, 2 TIE/B, 2 Firespray, 2 Lamda

#60 BigDogg

BigDogg

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:49 PM

I'm 49 but our club range from 8 to 54

• Rebels: 5 X-wing, 3 Y-wing, 3 A-wing, 3 B-wing, 2 Hawk 290 and  a YT-1300
  • Imperial: 9 Tie fighters, 3 Advanced, 3 Interceoters, 2 Bombers, a Shuttle and Firspray 31

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS