Age of X wing players

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#21 Sithborg

Sithborg

• Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 05:58 PM

I've played with quite a few teens and even a 10 year old in a previous game. My friend's 10 year old daughter also tends to play at tournaments. All have had more mature attitudes than various "adults" in real life and online.

• oneway likes this

#22 TheRealStarkiller

TheRealStarkiller

Scourge Of The Galaxy

• Members
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 05:59 PM

Fortunately there is no Clone Wars stuff inside, so not attractive for (most) kiddies.

This is very pleasing. Not that I dislike kids ... its just ... yeah you know what I mean ... ;)

Sir, rebel transports sighted \                              / Affirmative.                                                           

(-o-)  (-o-)    (-o-o-)     (-o-o-)     (-o-o-)     (-o-o-)    (-o-)  (-o-) 

Excellent! Gamma wing, prepare for torpedo run. We'll provide cover.

|-o-|   |-o-|   |-o-|   |-o-|   (<o>)   |-o-|   |-o-|   |-o-|   |-o-|   

#23 Nataris

Nataris

• Members
  • 392 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 06:21 PM

I actually prefer kids (-12) as opposed to teenagers. The kids are fun but mostly respectful while the teens are starting to find their attitudes and aren't scared to use them.

Exceptions to the rule, etc.

Edited by Nataris, 07 March 2014 - 06:21 PM.

#24 TheRealStarkiller

TheRealStarkiller

Scourge Of The Galaxy

• Members
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 06:27 PM

... hm ... I remember one situation while an ongoing 40k battle on the neighbour table with a green kiddie as a player:

I DON'T WANT MY SERGEANT TO BE DEAD!! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA ...

Sir, rebel transports sighted \                              / Affirmative.                                                           

(-o-)  (-o-)    (-o-o-)     (-o-o-)     (-o-o-)     (-o-o-)    (-o-)  (-o-) 

Excellent! Gamma wing, prepare for torpedo run. We'll provide cover.

|-o-|   |-o-|   |-o-|   |-o-|   (<o>)   |-o-|   |-o-|   |-o-|   |-o-|   

#25 AgentV

AgentV

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 06:38 PM

22 here, played with people in their teens and people in their 40s. Never had much of an issue with anyone I've played.

#26 HunterEste

HunterEste

• Members
  • 329 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 06:39 PM

Again, that is all stuff that rolls over from being either an adult or teen, its a person personality and how they are raised. I was playing table top since 13-14 and most players enjoyed my company because we would talk about tactics, have good sportsmen ship, complemented each others great play, etc. Magic breeds a certain group, while in my LGS I over heard an older guy just trying to BS rules (I don't know them but I could tell it was not the correct way due to how every one was reacting and how he would react when they would bring up the rulebook/FAQs) so magic is a bad pool to pick from. I've had people just flip out they were losing to a younger player as well. Then I've had a really shy teenager that started to play and he actually opened up while playing, literally the first time I had ever seen him so happy and animated which that alone made that game enjoyable. So, don't just generalize the whole group of players because you've had a bad experience or two, because I've had my fair share from both groups and both can be great players but each have their problem cases.

Gamers are gamers, don't try to invalidate someone's experience because they play a different game. My experience is from the last 20+ years playing various games ( including D&D, MTG, WoW:TCG, Star Wars CCG, Warhammer Fantasy/40k, Warmachine, Firestorm Armada, and Xwing just to name a few).

This is also coming from experience From small town LGS, to Games Workshop Hobby Centers, Fantasy Flight Game's own store in Roseville, MN, GenCon general gaming sessions, and beer/pretzel games in a friend's basement. In multiple states from the midwest to the east/west coat (thank you military for moving me everywhere!).

Young children + games that require anything more than the most basic amounts of attention tend to = a meltdown and frustrating session/environment for older or more mature gamers.

Go ask any LGS owner what demographic causes them the most stress/drama. I'll bet they respond that it's the 14 and under crowd.

Edited by HunterEste, 07 March 2014 - 06:40 PM.

#27 Sithborg

Sithborg

• Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 06:48 PM

And I've seen more meltdown's and frustrating sessions with those that are physically older than from those younger kids I've gamed with. Some kids can handle it, some can't. Thing is, I'm more likely to be forgiving to a child than to a man-child.

• LeoHowler likes this

#28 HunterEste

HunterEste

• Members
  • 329 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 06:50 PM

And I've seen more meltdown's and frustrating sessions with those that are physically older than from those younger kids I've gamed with. Some kids can handle it, some can't. Thing is, I'm more likely to be forgiving to a child than to a man-child.

On average you'd agree that younglings melting down is more common than....'man-children' :P

• Nataris likes this

#29 Sithborg

Sithborg

• Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 06:51 PM

Not in my experiences.

#30 Effenhoog

Effenhoog

• Members
  • 515 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:00 PM

I think that this particular game also attracts some older-ish players simply due to its source material

Lots of kids today still like Star Wars, sure, but how many of them have that special love for the original trilogy era.  I'm 28, I grew up playing the old PC games and owning micro machines and action fleet figures of the various fighters and ships (I actually have the action fleet TIE defender which is apparently rare enough to sell for $100+ in some places, but I digress).  Getting into this game was a natural fit, even though I barely played tabletop games at all, and I never would have considered spending $500+ on any kind of tabletop game before.

Essentially, this game can be a bit expensive depending on how much you decide to collect for it (even a basic collection can be $100-$200).  That already makes it harder for kids and even some college students to get into it, but now you also have to ask if that demographic would even feel like it is worth the investment.

Edited by Effenhoog, 07 March 2014 - 07:00 PM.

#31 SoulCrusherEx

SoulCrusherEx

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:05 PM

iam 21 years old now and played and still paly warhammer 40k for years now and my 6 player strong 40k group plays X wing alongside warhammer cause of me ^^ we have one 14 years old one and the rest starts with 20 up to 30 ;P

just sayin that x wing is a good relaxing game after a big warhammer match.

cant wait for my first touarnement on march 15

Edited by SoulCrusherEx, 07 March 2014 - 07:05 PM.

Imperium: 7 Tie Fighter, 3 Tie Advanced, 12 Tie Interceptors (4 aces boxes included) 3 Tie Bomber and 3 fire sprays, 1 Tie Defender, 2 Tie Phantom, 1 Lambda Shuttle
Rebels:  1 B-wing, 1 Z-95
Pirates: 3 Firesprays, 3 Y- Wings, 6 z-95

#32 HunterEste

HunterEste

• Members
  • 329 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:07 PM

I think that this particular game also attracts some older-ish players simply due to its source material

Lots of kids today still like Star Wars, sure, but how many of them have that special love for the original trilogy era.  I'm 28, I grew up playing the old PC games and owning micro machines and action fleet figures of the various fighters and ships (I actually have the action fleet TIE defender which is apparently rare enough to sell for $100+ in some places, but I digress).  Getting into this game was a natural fit, even though I barely played tabletop games at all, and I never would have considered spending $500+ on any kind of tabletop game before.

Essentially, this game can be a bit expensive depending on how much you decide to collect for it (even a basic collection can be $100-$200).  That already makes it harder for kids and even some college students to get into it, but now you also have to ask if that demographic would even feel like it is worth the investment.

In the defense of the cost, it's a heck of alot cheaper than other miniature war games. Some of those 40k armies are easily $500+ (plus the darn things are invalidated every 2 years when the new codexes launch!). Some MTG T2 competitive decks also easily top that $100-200 mark.

Bang for buck, X-Wing miniatures isn't bad. Heck...the winning list this year was 4 fighters (the 2xw and 2 bw list), that's $60...pretty affordable!

#33 WinterDawn

WinterDawn

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:33 PM

My play group is late 30's to mid 40's.  A number of us came up from playing StarFleet Battles when we were in our 20's

Andrew in Perth, WA.

• Swedge, Millennium Falsehood and MikeEMcGee like this

Based in WESTERN AUSTRALIA

Alliance: 2x YT-1300, 5x X-Wing, 3x A-Wing, 2x Y-Wing, 5x B-Wing, 4x Z-95, 2x E-Wing, 1x Hawk 1x Transport, 2x CR90 Corvette

Imperial: 7x Tie Fighters, 2x Tie Intereceptor, 1x Adv, 2x Bomber, 2x Defender,2x Phantom , 1x Firespray, 2x Lambda 1x Imp Aces kit

Tournaments; 4 of 12, 8 of 26, 5 of 13

#34 Imperial Rebel

Imperial Rebel

• Members
  • 333 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:37 PM

Personally i am 15 years old and have had no issues the few (being that i can't drive) times iv'e got to play at game stores and intend to surprise some people in a few upcoming store championships.

• Millennium Falsehood, Darthfish, MikeEMcGee and 1 other like this

Imperials (12): Tie-Fighters (5) Space Narwhals (2) Tie-Advanceds (1) Firesprays (1) Tie-Phantoms (2)

Tie-Defenders (1)

Rebels (12): X-Wings (4) B-Wings (2) HWK-290s (1) YT-1200s (1) Z-95 Headhunters (1) A-Wings (1)

Y-Wings (1) E-Wings (1)

#35 Slugrage

Slugrage

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:38 PM

I don't care about the age of my opponents. If they know the rules, play fair, try their best even when defeat is inevitable, play graciously even when they're cleaning me off the map... it's all good. But I've seen players have meltdowns of any age group. It's not limited to any one demographic.

Personally though, my most disliked person to play against is the ultra-precise rules lawyer.

• oneway, Millennium Falsehood and MikeEMcGee like this

Core: 3 sets

Rebel: 1 X, 3 Y, 3 A, 2 B, 2 H, 2 YT-1300, 2 E, 4 Z, 1 CR-90, 1 GR-75

Imperial: 2 T, 3 T/Ad, 4 T/Int, 2 T/Bmb, 2 T/Df, 2T/Ph, 2 Shuttle, 2 Firespray, 2 Imp Aces

Order: 1 YT-2400, 1 VT-49, 2 Reb Aces

#36 oneway

oneway

Imperial Bomber Pilot

• Members
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:39 PM

I'll be 50 in june... and I game with a group of guys close, but younger than myself. Another group I game with runs Wings of Glory.. we range from a guy just a little older than me, to the kids one guy brings.. teens, but pretty cool usually.

I also got the kids of one of my friends into it, and they are well behaved and rather mature for their age... good kids..

I think every crowd has to gel to really be successful, and even the kids can be good additions.

Lol... now that said.. a couple years ago at RockCon, a local convention, we had a father and son join our Wings of Glory game. It was going alright until the little guy got his plane shot down... then the tears started.. a few of us chuckled, but dad came to the rescue and tried to get his son quieted down, he gave up one of his ships and got the waterworks shut down,, and when the kid got shot down a few turns later he took it like a champ.. lol.. so.. good and bad, its how you teach them to play... and win or lose,, enjoy the game..

"I mean, come on kid, my armor's older than you are.."

Corp. Haig Talin, MK - 472

Armor 18 - Fire - N - Ice

181st Mechanized Armor Assault Div

#37 Cubanboy

Cubanboy

• Members
  • 989 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:45 PM

So I am 33 and my wife is 26. I can tell you that it is an outstanding game that I enjoy and my wife is wants to learn it in the next couple of days.

Edited by Cubanboy, 07 March 2014 - 09:46 PM.

I have ships.

#38 Two_Hands

Two_Hands

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:03 PM

34, and I haven't seen anyone here (NZ) playing that is under 20. Last tournament I went to I don't think anyone was under 30.

#39 LeoHowler

LeoHowler

• Members
  • 607 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:19 PM

25, and the gamer group I have runs the entire age gamut pretty much. Most are roughly in our 20's-30's but there are many exceptions.

~Remember Alderaan~

Alliance Fleet: 4 X-Wings, 3 Y-Wings, 3 A-Wings, 2 B-Wings, 2 HWK-290, 2 YT-1300, , 3 Z-95's, 2 E-Wings, 1 GR-75

Imperial Navy: 5 TIE Fighters, 1 TIE Bomber, 2 TIE Interceptors, 1 TIE Advance x1, 1 Lambda Class Shuttle, 3 Firespray 31, 1 TIE Defender

Black Sun Private Fleet: Coming soon~

#40 GrimDeath58

GrimDeath58

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:35 PM

40 here. But when I was a teen, I was racing cars, chasing girls, smoking in the bathroom, and drinking stuff I should not been. There was no time to stand at a table pushing toys around. The teens today probably think their time is better spent doing other things also.

• Two_Hands and MikeEMcGee like this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS