• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#1 Khyros

Khyros

Advocate of A & E Wings Everywhere

• Members
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:56 PM

So, XWM was my first 'hardcore' game.  I soon picked up SWLCG afterwards, but that's not the point.  I've been playing for about a year now, and one thing that always amazes me is just how few teenagers there are that play it.  Actually, I can't say that I've come across any.  I've seen a few <12 kids that play with his/her dad (never mom though).  But then I'd say mid 20's is the lower end of the age bracket.

But maybe that's just my local area.  My question to all of you is if this is a trend you've come across in your area as well, and what the range/average of players for your group is.  I don't plan on doing anything with this data, I'm just curious since similar games seem to attract a much younger crowd, and I'm not entirely sure I fully understand why.  Maybe it's just the star wars theme allows all the folks that watched the OT in the theaters live out their childhood dreams of flying an X wing! 

The fleet:  

Spoiler

#2 HunterEste

HunterEste

• Members
  • 329 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:59 PM

I'm pretty thankful this hobby isn't infested with children. It's nicely out of the price range of many younglings. Around here the average age ranges from mid/late 20's all the way into their late 40s.

• oneway, jetsetter, stegocent and 3 others like this

#3 Forgottenlore

Forgottenlore

Midnight Dreary

• Members
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 03:01 PM

"gaming" games in general tend to appeal to 20 and 30 somethings more than younger kids. The teenagers frequently latch onto RPGs. I have always figured it is a disposable income thing. Teens just don't have the money to get into miniature games as much as people with jobs do.

• LeoHowler and admiralcrunch like this

Thanks, Troy

Once Upon a Midnight Dreary....

#4 VanorDM

VanorDM

Rules Ninja

• Members
  • 4,103 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 03:04 PM

Teens just don't have the money to get into miniature games as much as people with jobs do.

This is a bit part of it. Most teens or even collage aged people don't have the money for a tabletop mini game. X-Wing is pretty cheep compared to 40k or even Warmahoards... But it's still not cheep compared to some other stuff out there. In a way even MtG is cheaper, because while someone might spend more money over all, 1 or 2 boosters per week isn't a lot of money.

Go to any LGS and you'll see few young people playing any sort of tabletop miniature game.

#5 Hujoe Bigs

Hujoe Bigs

• Members
  • 330 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 03:13 PM

As a 24 year old, I actually know a few teens that like the game and have a great attitude towards it. I and my brother have even helped get them stuff for the game. There is no reason to not want kids playing the game, if anything they tend to take the game less seriously and enjoy just playing more then some of the adults I've seen play. I think the issue some have with kids is the same that can roll over to adult players as well, not getting along with others or not knowing the rules and not caring/fudging the rules.
  • AlexW and GroggyGolem like this

Rebels: 4 X-wings, 2-Y-Wings, 3 A-Wings, 3 E-wings, 4 Z-95s, 1 YT-1300, 2 B-Wings, 2 HWK-290, 1 CR90, 1 GR-75 

Imperials: 5 Tie/Ln, 1 Tie/Adv, 7 Tie/In, 2 Tie/Sa, 2 Tie/D, 3 Phantoms, 1 FireSpray, 2 Lambda

#6 HunterEste

HunterEste

• Members
  • 329 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 03:34 PM

There is no reason to not want kids playing the game

You haven't played with many kids. I've seen the horrors of the under 14 crowed in Magic: The Gathering, Warhammer, and Flames of War. It's not a fun experience when they start melting down.

• oneway, stegocent, Millennium Falsehood and 1 other like this

#7 Spaceman91

Spaceman91

• Members
  • 476 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 03:41 PM

I'm 23 and most of the people ibplay with are roughly the same age. That being said I think this is one of those games that every can be happy to play. I'm taking it with me over the summer when I go to see my grand parents. My grandma loves any game where she can beat me.
  • GroggyGolem likes this
I didn't mean for it to get this bad.

#8 Khsofsso

Khsofsso

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 03:41 PM

Over here in blighty.

Most players I know are between late 20's to late 30's

#9 librarian101

librarian101

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 03:45 PM

Well lets remember that kids are the future of any game.  It is the responsibility of our generation of gamers to educate younger players.  We do that by getting them to play and learn the Etiquette or social skills to work and interact with other people.  My son started gaming a age 6 playing Star fleet Battles and he hd to learn how to interact with a much older crowd.  So letsjust not could out the younge crowd, after all we were there at one time.

• AlexW, SentinelNZ, catachan23 and 1 other like this

#10 Nataris

Nataris

• Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 03:47 PM

Its not so much I mind teenagers playing, in fact I enjoy it. But I'm also a video gamer and I'd be lying if I said teenagers didn't ruin online gaming at least a little bit. Not to mention its just nice to have an adult, in depth conversation about something while playing. Yes, teenagers are capable, but they are also just as likely to make **** and fart jokes.

...But it's still not cheep compared to some other stuff out there. In a way even MtG is cheaper, because while someone might spend more money over all, 1 or 2 boosters per week isn't a lot of money.

I just can't possibly agree with this. $100 can get you at least one tourney worthy list. You arnt going to do that in MtG. If boosters are cheap but you rarely get cards you need. You certainly aren't going to field a tournament quality deck in mtg through booster packs. $12 bucks gets you any small xwing ship you want. No "wasted" money.
  • Tashiro31 and WonderWAAAGH like this

#11 MikeEMcGee

MikeEMcGee

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 03:48 PM

Red 39 checking in, 40 in August. The guys I play with are in their late 20's.

I have no issues playing with anyone so long as they act maturely.

Edited by MikeEMcGee, 07 March 2014 - 03:51 PM.

• dpbohr, Revanchist, teufelwolf@yahoo.com and 2 others like this

#12 Stone37

Stone37

• Members
  • 876 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 03:54 PM

Over here in blighty.

Most players I know are between late 20's to late 30's

That's the crowd I run into as well, but I would expand it to late 40's.

#13 KILODEN

KILODEN

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 04:07 PM

Now that you mention it. The 2 tournies i went too had 2 players under 27.

Both were kids of an older player.

The little girl was 9 i think, and she was a blast. She flew in formations and her smack talk was so cute you didnt want to shoot her.

I swear little purple kittens were flying those xwings.
  • dpbohr, Syleh Forge, Khyros and 3 others like this

Hey sarcasm is my thing, sorry if I offend anyone. (Reported) Hey I said I was Sorry (Reported) Really? (Reported) Come on I was apologizing. (Reported) Man you just can't make some people happy can you? (Reported)

#14 Bohrdumb

Bohrdumb

• Members
  • 788 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 04:14 PM

One of my friends lost to an 8yr old girl in a recent tournament. He will never live it down.

Personally I'm all for kids in games like this. I've got a great handle on losing graciously because I was a college athlete and got my butt whooped quite a bit. There aren't as many intellectual pursuit that develop similar social skills so I think stuff like this is great for kids.
  • KILODEN and MikeEMcGee like this

5 X, 3 B, 2 A, 2 Y, 1 Hwk, 2 Es, 2 Zs

6 TIE, 2 TIE B. 2 Ints, 1 Adv, 1 Defender, 2 Phantoms

#15 Duke of Advil

Duke of Advil

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 04:14 PM

I will be 47 in May.....I have no issues playing with teens. That is as long as they are more mature that the ones on X-box live......those boys need to at least wait till their voices change before they cuss me out, and hold off on the personal threats until they have some chest hair
  • Johdo, Swedge, teufelwolf@yahoo.com and 3 others like this

EMPIRE SHIPS [TIE Fighters(5)] [TIE Interceptor(1)] [Firespray-31(1)] [TIE Advanced(1)] [TIE Bomber(1)]

REBEL SHIPS [X-Wing(3)] [B-Wing(1)] [A-Wing(1)] [YT-1300(1)] [Y-Wing(1)] [HWK-290(1)]

Vaders Redemption

#16 KILODEN

KILODEN

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 04:41 PM

One of my friends lost to an 8yr old girl in a recent tournament. He will never live it down.
Personally I'm all for kids in games like this. I've got a great handle on losing graciously because I was a college athlete and got my butt whooped quite a bit. There aren't as many intellectual pursuit that develop similar social skills so I think stuff like this is great for kids.

I hear you man, im a buffalo bills fan. Losing is an art form.
  • Khyros, rym and Duke of Advil like this

Hey sarcasm is my thing, sorry if I offend anyone. (Reported) Hey I said I was Sorry (Reported) Really? (Reported) Come on I was apologizing. (Reported) Man you just can't make some people happy can you? (Reported)

#17 Duke of Advil

Duke of Advil

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 04:51 PM

I hear you man, im a buffalo bills fan. Losing is an art form.
half of my shop transferred from Buffalo, so you think they would be an easy target, but this is Browns country.

EMPIRE SHIPS [TIE Fighters(5)] [TIE Interceptor(1)] [Firespray-31(1)] [TIE Advanced(1)] [TIE Bomber(1)]

REBEL SHIPS [X-Wing(3)] [B-Wing(1)] [A-Wing(1)] [YT-1300(1)] [Y-Wing(1)] [HWK-290(1)]

Vaders Redemption

#18 GrandMoffMatt

GrandMoffMatt

• Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 05:18 PM

36 here.   A lot of my playgroup hovers in the 30s.  We have one kid who is late teens, and another in his early 20s.  Back home in VA, it was 30s and above too.

#19 Hujoe Bigs

Hujoe Bigs

• Members
  • 330 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 05:53 PM

Again, that is all stuff that rolls over from being either an adult or teen, its a person personality and how they are raised. I was playing table top since 13-14 and most players enjoyed my company because we would talk about tactics, have good sportsmen ship, complemented each others great play, etc. Magic breeds a certain group, while in my LGS I over heard an older guy just trying to BS rules (I don't know them but I could tell it was not the correct way due to how every one was reacting and how he would react when they would bring up the rulebook/FAQs) so magic is a bad pool to pick from. I've had people just flip out they were losing to a younger player as well. Then I've had a really shy teenager that started to play and he actually opened up while playing, literally the first time I had ever seen him so happy and animated which that alone made that game enjoyable. So, don't just generalize the whole group of players because you've had a bad experience or two, because I've had my fair share from both groups and both can be great players but each have their problem cases.

Edited by Hujoe Bigs, 07 March 2014 - 06:01 PM.

• Darthfish and AdmiralThrawn like this

Rebels: 4 X-wings, 2-Y-Wings, 3 A-Wings, 3 E-wings, 4 Z-95s, 1 YT-1300, 2 B-Wings, 2 HWK-290, 1 CR90, 1 GR-75 

Imperials: 5 Tie/Ln, 1 Tie/Adv, 7 Tie/In, 2 Tie/Sa, 2 Tie/D, 3 Phantoms, 1 FireSpray, 2 Lambda

#20 Chris Maes

Chris Maes

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 05:56 PM

Ages in our gaming group run from early/mid 20's to mid to late 50's plus a few offspring in the 10-21 range.

I find it hilarious that anyone would consider  XWM a 'hardcore game' :lol:   No insult intended but what is the context?  Most of my crowd grew up playing miniature wargames (before GW came to dominate the industry and gamers imaginations/wallets) and/or role-playing games (before they were played on xbox,etc...), so... if miniatures were in my budget as a high school student, they shouldn't be out of the question for today's youth.

Chris 

• DoubleNot7 and LeoHowler like this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS