Next Expansion?

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#101 JediKnightAmoeba

JediKnightAmoeba

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 10:30 AM

Some great POD's they could do which are touched on here would be incorporating the various mechanics with new cards into existing decks. Terrain cards for each extra deck....Highlands deck, Dungeon deck, city deck and dragon decks.

Lycanthrope cards into the various decks.

Burn/Fireproof cards to the decks.

Updated cards to replace some cards with wacky text or contradictory text that doesn't mesh well with a lot of various expansions that have since been released. This would be a great step towards streamlining the game and making it a complete game rather than mis-fitting puzzle pieces mashed together.

Maybe have some sort of fan vote for a cool POD expansion. You could use a lot of the expansions off of TalismanIsland as a base for these. There are some great ideas there, that a lot of people would like to see printed because they do not desire to take the time to make them on their own.

Frankly, I LOVE timescape. That is the only full expansion I have created off of the home brews. It is very good and works well for me. We even added some of our own cards to the deck that incorporated various mechanics into the deck.

Everyone seems to desire the Sea. This is one I would like to see but I don't want it replacing the Dragon tower. Currently we are cutting a second dragon board we copied and are making a tower with the spaces. We are making the tower so it has a dual purpose of holding the revealed or hidden ending card for all to see and making it so it holds cards. We have always put towers of cards in the middle of the board so this is an easy step. To make the tower more accessible we are putting it on a turntable so you can spin it to see the spaces without moving.

#102 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 657 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:29 AM

I always admire the people who can make things, crafting new boards or designs, what not.

I love reading some of the home brews on TalismanIsland. Even if it would be easy/er for me to download and print off myself, I would be unlikely to do that, though, as I have a sort of 'compleatist' aura to me; I feel that official texts are the Bible.

But it would be cool if some of those ideas onTI or here in the home brew forum could become a POD or another expansion.

So I agree that a vote or poll would help show support and inspire makers to do it.

I wouldn't mind the sea or ocean themed expansion, but it is not as big a desire as other ideas.

There is a sense of completion with the news of Woodland. I am way ready for this. If no other expansion sets appeared I would still be quite happy with all we have now.

• Captain Clegg likes this

#103 DomaGB

DomaGB

• Members
  • 394 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 05:12 PM

As for not replacing the Dragon center board with another because you want it, you can always place it on the side and have it connect elsewhere. Sorta like I do with my Dragon variant.

For those who love expansions on talismanisland but do not want to make their own cards, I highly suggest using an online printing service and have the cards professionally made for you. I am no artist, but uploading the card images to the online printing services is rather easy. They don't have cards that match the size of Talisman cards, but if you get expansions that have their own decks, this works great!

I discovered such a service in China and have them make cards for me when they have sales. I can get a deck shipped to me for under $10!

One has to be careful with Homebrew expansions I found they miss information. I had printed  2nd edition Black's Tavern, and the cards refer to some other cards that do not exist. Other than Mystic Brew which is optional, and I have determined it is cards from another expansion unnamed in the instructions.

Edited by DomaGB, 12 May 2014 - 05:14 PM.

• 0beron likes this

RoboRally, then Talisman. That's the way it is... ;)

#104 Felis

Felis

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:50 PM

Like 0beron, I'm a completionist and an obsessive collector to boot. I would love nothing more than FFG releasing Talisman expansions 'till the end of time ;) I have to be realist though.

I, too, insist on playing with all expansions at once so the idea of the alternative corner boards is not exactly up my alley. I can understand its appeal though and, as DomaGB said, I could always use these boards as "satelites".

I'm the one of people who love Timescape and I would love to see it as a legacy expansion. Talisman as a game is modular so if someone doesn't "feel" timescape they can just skip it completly.

I tought of expansions to expansions too and print-on-demand makes it even easier.

For those who love expansions on talismanisland but do not want to make their own cards, I highly suggest using an online printing service and have the cards professionally made for you. I am no artist, but uploading the card images to the online printing services is rather easy. They don't have cards that match the size of Talisman cards, but if you get expansions that have their own decks, this works great!

I discovered such a service in China and have them make cards for me when they have sales. I can get a deck shipped to me for under $10!

Can you give us a link to this service? I long thought about reprinting all the Talisman cards in a format close to Magic: the Gathering to highlight the beautiful art on them and make them easier to handle.

#105 DomaGB

DomaGB

• Members
  • 394 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:48 PM

http://www.artscow.com/

newest sale code:

PROMO CODE: POKERFACE

(54 designs) - $7.99 with free shipping

This coupon expires on July 30, 2014

"ArtsCow has the right to terminate this promotion at any given time without prior notice."

Here is an example of a Homebrew deck I put into an Artscow Deck. Black's Tavern for 2nd Edition Talisman:

http://www.artscow.c...ge-0dmrjqq0sirw

Some of the original cards are missing as I could only put in so many, and removed those I didn't like, and needed space for the Village expansion, and after getting cards I realized that some of the cards reffered to an expansion unlisted or known, as I shared before.

That particular deck uses mini cards which are even cheaper than the price for the 54 design. And I recommend that size for Talisman homebrew cards as they are the smallest and closest to the Official size. I would not use this for mixing with official decks because they are different, unless you sleeved the official cards into this bigger size sleeves and had a back block color or design.

Some people prefer another company that has more card sizes, custom amount of cards in a deck, but that company costs more.

Edited by DomaGB, 12 May 2014 - 09:10 PM.

#106 Sacrilege83

Sacrilege83

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 11:38 PM

How about a small Asian themed expansion???

Bring in the Samurai and the Ninja.

And new characters like Tengu, Kabuki, Chinese Sorcerer, Warrior Monk. 

• Nemomon and DomaGB like this

#107 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 657 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:27 AM

Along those lines, I would like the FFG version of the Monkey King. Also, Asian vampires and other undead are different and would provide some freshness.

... I've often day-dreamed about an expansion to the Dragon one, that might be able to rein in some of the features most of us have to house-rule.

Perhaps the aptly named "The Fourth Dragon", presenting an Asian style Dragon of considerable power, who somehow either inserts itself into the chain for Command of the Crown with the other Draconic Princes, or presents a rival faction to both the Princes' designs and the Players' goals.

#108 jd3

jd3

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:53 AM

As for not replacing the Dragon center board with another because you want it, you can always place it on the side and have it connect elsewhere. Sorta like I do with my Dragon variant.

One has to be careful with Homebrew expansions I found they miss information. I had printed  2nd edition Black's Tavern, and the cards refer to some other cards that do not exist. Other than Mystic Brew which is optional, and I have determined it is cards from another expansion unnamed in the instructions.

Thanks.  I don't know if there's a thread in the sub-forum, but are there any home brews you (or anyone else) would recommend please?

#109 JediKnightAmoeba

JediKnightAmoeba

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:27 PM

OMG... go to Talisman Island. There are a LOT of expansions for every talisman edition released. There are some really good ones too.
  • Sacrilege83 and DomaGB like this

#110 talismanisland

talismanisland

Harbourmaster

• Members
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:34 AM

Along those lines, I would like the FFG version of the Monkey King. Also, Asian vampires and other undead are different and would provide some freshness.

... I've often day-dreamed about an expansion to the Dragon one, that might be able to rein in some of the features most of us have to house-rule.

Perhaps the aptly named "The Fourth Dragon", presenting an Asian style Dragon of considerable power, who somehow either inserts itself into the chain for Command of the Crown with the other Draconic Princes, or presents a rival faction to both the Princes' designs and the Players' goals.

I wouldn't say no to a small expansion with a fresh deck of Dragon cards, tokens and a new Draconic Lord.

Harbourmaster at Talisman Island - 15 magical years and counting!

Sometimes I even update the Talisman Island Facebook Page!

#111 jd3

jd3

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 06:17 AM

OMG... go to Talisman Island. There are a LOT of expansions for every talisman edition released. There are some really good ones too.

Thanks.  I had gone there previously and looked a few -- The Smithy seemed like a good one to start with.  But, given that there are so many variants, I was wondering what ones people enjoyed for revised 4th.

#112 Quartzquiz

Quartzquiz

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:46 AM

I'm definitely for an expansion to add cards and tie-in for the larger expansions. specifically The City. Could use a few more City Adventure cards for the deck. especially enemy cards and more "dangerous" cards.Seems like there could be a few more dangers in the city, to compensate for all of the gold benefits.

#113 Nemomon

Nemomon

• Members
  • 788 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 01:54 PM

I wouldn't say no to a small expansion with a fresh deck of Dragon cards, tokens and a new Draconic Lord.

You mean an expansion that actually allows using the Dragon decks in a normal game without the Dragon campaign? I say "yes" to that idea too.
Enter the Talisman Island!

#114 DomaGB

DomaGB

• Members
  • 394 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 02:23 AM

You can already play with the Dragon decks and not use the Dragon board and rules.

#115 Nemomon

Nemomon

• Members
  • 788 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:59 AM

Yeah, but some official rules, besides that single Ending card, could be welcome too.
Enter the Talisman Island!

#116 DomaGB

DomaGB

• Members
  • 394 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:47 PM

I decided unofficial rules and gameplay make Dragons better and more fun.

#117 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:18 AM

I decided unofficial rules and gameplay make Dragons better and more fun.

Yes same here, but I have kept mine as close to the original rules as possible!

#118 DomaGB

DomaGB

• Members
  • 394 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:27 AM

I disliked it so much, I abandoned any idea of redeeming it the official way. That doesn't mean I disliked the cards though, as most of them are awesome!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS