Next Expansion?

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#41 DomaGB

DomaGB

• Members
  • 419 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:59 PM

I just don't understand why the made the main board so big!

• JediKnightAmoeba likes this

RoboRally, then Talisman. That's the way it is... ;)

#42 Flint Sound

Flint Sound

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:51 AM

I think that on the surface The Forest sounds a little bit boring. Particularly as fantasy worlds could offer so much more. Such as Holy Lands, Forbidden Lands, Docks/Sea, Palace, Necropolis, a Military Base, though the success of the 4th corner is probably down to the mechanic that it brings to the game.

A story element would be nice, why is the Talisman world the way that it is?

Maybe in a Palace sits the Emperor of the Talisman world, (does the world have a name? I'm not sure.) And this Emperor just so happens to be a lich. And this lich wants what all liches want, everybody to be dead and signed up to their army. So he comes up with this great idea to get everyone fighting each other. He creates the crown of command. Suddenly the peaceful people of the world are crawling over one another to get the power and make the world peaceful again. While the Emperor sits back laughing to himself as he watches his army grow, the crown has no power over him.

Maybe there is room for a co-oprative story to be introduced, with the players working together instead of against each other?

#43 Prem1x

Prem1x

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:33 AM

We know why the land is the way it is. The king that had the crown died.

I'd like a hex-based Forest or some other non-linear movement mechanic. With light/dark halves, abandoned cabins, faery towns, another river, connections to the Cursed Glade and even the Graveyard. Centaur, Satyr and Ranger are must-haves.

#44 DomaGB

DomaGB

• Members
  • 419 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 04:34 PM

How about a fast food expansion? :P

#45 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 692 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:23 AM

Beyond the obvious or not obvious choice for 4th corner, is, in my mind, the idea that maybe there will be 1 or more "master" expansions, that either introduce very new concepts, or new takes on other concepts, like "master" skills/characters. Some other posters have talked about similar ideas with skill sets that could be earned or learned.

But a 'master' expansion would be more like finding a way to tie in all or most expansions in a sort of final~end.game. So maybe permanant 'gates' which could be new board tokens or plastic pieces and at least one per Region (except the good old Inner Region. They could work with the Runes spaces and the Rune Gate place cards, but do not vanish or add points for enemies. Just transportation.

As I've seen sets that seem tilted in one respect or another (Dungeon=mightier enemies, City=easy money/purchases, etc.) I have come to realize that 'balance' happens, eventually. Firelands seems to balance out certain aspects, like .... too many friggin' cards, but seriously it is hard to see around what may be needed as we approach the possible end of the series.

So in my mind, future sets could be like Nether Realms, adding new things totally and being open ended enough to have a number of user-variations. So an opposite to the nether realms could be possible, The Aether Realms, with more nice things or advantages - still needs to be some friction, of course, so maybe more quest-oriented, somehow (like Warlock's Cave, I mean).

But then there could be scenario driven themes for other sets. We have a castle and a prince and princess. What about other nobles as NPCs, with their own good and bad aspects? As far as NPCs go, what other kinds might be interesting? While some might want to see a Toad King, there could be others.

#46 Flint Sound

Flint Sound

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:54 AM

As for NPC's, how about a Talisman Devourer? A creature that activates whenever a player character obtains a Talisman. It then chases him around the board until it is killed or it captures your Talisman. A bit like The Reaper or Werewolf, except it heads straight for one person and moves every turn.

#47 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:53 AM

We really need light fate and dark fate to be sorted in the next expansion!

#48 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 692 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:35 AM

I like the idea of a Devourer!

And how could I forget Dark/Light fate, since I've brought it up many times myself?

#49 JediKnightAmoeba

JediKnightAmoeba

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 02:17 PM

I also like the idea of the devourer.  And of course, dark/light fate which will probably be much better suited for the digital edition but I would love to see it introduced.

I have thought about having an "Evil" player in large 6+ player games that controls the Reaper and Werewolf (and the devourer possibly?).  Obviously there would have to be changes to the rules for each of these characters and their abilities.  This would also give someone obvious wanton lust for night...so I don't think they would be forgetting to change the night/day card over.  The side effect would be a possibly longer game than the already drawn out game we have.  But, then again, possibly not since people would be trying to get to the CoC quicker instead of farming Strength/Craft and items. 

Something like this would be along the lines of an "Epic Talisman" adventure.  Perhaps with rules for an cooperative effort which would allow one player to control more than one Character if you wanted to set the rules for 2 players.  This would be something that could be released as a POD expansion as it would only need modified rules and perhaps some tokens or a few extra cards...but nothing substantial as a board or anything.  

#50 JediKnightAmoeba

JediKnightAmoeba

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 02:37 PM

I'd like a hex-based Forest or some other non-linear movement mechanic. 

That would be interesting but considering it would be completely different than any expansion as far as movement and design goes(as well as never being in any of the previous editions) it probably will not happen....but you never know, we have had a few surprises in 4th edition.  :-)

#51 tarasis

tarasis

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 04:12 PM

Was just downloading the PDF's for the two most recent expansions and noticed that The Firelands is TM11 and The Nether Realm is TM13, so what then is TM12 and how comes it's taken longer to come out then the ones either side of it.
  • DomaGB likes this

#52 Artaterxes

Artaterxes

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 06:06 PM

Well, I'm guessing TM12 is an expansion that started before The Nether Realm began, but The Nether Realm ended up being released first. Nether Realm is smaller, after all. Means there should be a new expansion on the way!

Once the fourth corner is out, I'm hoping for a grand finale expansion. I would like something that doesn't simply add more Adventure Cards, but something interesting that allows Talisman to go out with a bang. Although I don't think it is the style of FFG to have "finale" expansions.

#53 DomaGB

DomaGB

• Members
  • 419 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:19 PM

Yeah TM12 has been mentioned before, and am surprised how little has been said about it.

All this talk about after the 4th corner and master sets, got me thinking, and while I really miss master characters from Talisman City 2nd edition, and want it really bad, I am not sure if that's gonna happen, but how about a Limited Edition Talisman Master set?

A new board, made smaller, different graphics, maybe graphics or text to match or enhance the expansions, like extra text saying, "Enter Highlands here" and perhaps the Master set includes the 4 corner expansions, also made smaller to fit with the new smaller board. Leaving out the small non board expansions to be added by the owners as they see fit. Higher quality boards, and an increase in price for this better quality (not saying the quality now is bad, cause it's not, just better!).

A new Main board, and 4 expansions in 1 set, sell it for like $200-$300.

• JediKnightAmoeba likes this

#54 JediKnightAmoeba

JediKnightAmoeba

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:39 PM

Yeah TM12 has been mentioned before, and am surprised how little has been said about it.

All this talk about after the 4th corner and master sets, got me thinking, and while I really miss master characters from Talisman City 2nd edition, and want it really bad, I am not sure if that's gonna happen, but how about a Limited Edition Talisman Master set?

A new board, made smaller, different graphics, maybe graphics or text to match or enhance the expansions, like extra text saying, "Enter Highlands here" and perhaps the Master set includes the 4 corner expansions, also made smaller to fit with the new smaller board. Leaving out the small non board expansions to be added by the owners as they see fit. Higher quality boards, and an increase in price for this better quality (not saying the quality now is bad, cause it's not, just better!).

I second this.  

#55 DomaGB

DomaGB

• Members
  • 419 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:12 PM

To expand on my master set idea, but not sure if I like it, but what if the Master board had the 4 corner expansions built in! How would you folks like that? or would keeping the boards separate be better?

A quick answer might be, having separate would be better because you can decide not to play them. True, but we already have a set to do that, and you could always not play it, even tho its part of the board, and besides if they ran with this idea, the board would be smaller. So it wouldn't take as much space.

But I have not convinced myself on this idea, so don't know if others would like it...  :mellow:  :huh:  <_<  :wacko:  :blink:  :ph34r:

#56 Flint Sound

Flint Sound

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 03:00 AM

Personally I don't mind the size of the board. Though we have given up sitting at the table and tend to all be on out feet when we play. It helps to walk round to the other side of the table to see what I have to do on that square. Plus we keep the beer at the other end of the room, so...

I like the idea of "Epic Talisman" Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment, but I did wonder if it was worth having an expansion which gives extra strength/craft to all the monsters on the board. It would have to have a very slow accumulating effect, that kicked in late in the game. The reason for this is to combat that time when you hit Strength 20 and don't have to roll to kill anything anymore. Admittedly this is a nice place to reach and double admittedly you have probably been playing for six hours by this point and want the game to end, but... yep, definitely a glutton for punishment. That would be the point of making it epic!

#57 rfisha

rfisha

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 03:01 AM

A nice idea, but I am not sure if the majority of players would fork out that much cash for something they already own.  I have bought everything for Talisman, but I would think twice before buying this.  I probably would still buy it though!

Edited by rfisha, 04 April 2014 - 03:16 AM.

#58 tarasis

tarasis

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 05:32 AM

Yeah i would pass on a Master Edition having already bought all the other expansions. I like the idea of mini sets to between the corner boards. Or maybe an alternate middle region.

#59 JediKnightAmoeba

JediKnightAmoeba

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:20 PM

If the board was sold as one scaled down board with an extra board for the dragon's tower/realm obviously I would most definitely buy it.  From FFG's point of view it would probably be cheaper to produce 2 boards in an expansion box than 6 separate boards.  Also, they could use the spaces in-between the corner spaces for heavy cardboard "shoehorns" (similar to the Carcassonne one a lot of people use)to hold the cards with nifty Talisman graphics....

Being able to fit the board on a Standard size table would be awesome because, as someone else mentioned in another thread, our group stands the whole time with a couple barstools for the elderly  to lean on.  The board is so large we approach this game the way we do all of our table-top miniatures game: a table that is above the waist so you can walk around and get to all angles of the table without having to slouch too seriously.

#60 Czev

Czev

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:34 PM

Again, there's always the possibility of alternate corners.  Instead of the City you could play an alternate expansion for that corner such as a ruined city, a corrupt city, A different Dungeon, perhaps something a little darker.  I stated before about making use of the space between the corners for small board expansions.  I would hope to see small character packs however.  They can add depth to the game without heavily modifying game mechanics.  Creature/item/spell packs would be nice as well.  Orc's, goblins, and ogres oh my!!!!!!!!!

Yes ladies and gents, I really am highly concentrated WTF!!!!!!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS