Next Expansion?

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#21 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 695 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:47 AM

A sea expansion could add so much more content afterwards, to have more lands to explore...including a land of dinosaurs!

I always thought the Hidden Valley on the Middle level could hold dinosaurs; looks like one is painted on that space; ;)

so another small POD and small alteration and you could have dinosaurs.  Example: You have your deck of dinosaurs and primitive type creatures. First person that lands on Hidden Valley places some new marker/token/special card there (which doesn't add to card count). Let's call the card/counter "Hidden Passage". When you encounter, there's a die roll, with a possible result being you draw from the Hidden Valley deck of dinosaurs, etc.

I could envision a number of smaller PODs, some based on the various spaces on outer or middle regions. Mini Decks for Cursed Glade (want to see a Witch Tree card/encounter to go along with the Warlock's Quest which bids a journey to the Glade and the Witch Tree), The Castle ( Court intrigue? Fighting foppish Barons or Dukes? Secret Passages from the Castle to the Dungeon or other spots?, and of course Secrets/objects/powers)

#22 JemyM

JemyM

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:52 AM

I think these are all of the 2nd and 3rd Ed. characters that have not made an appearance in some form or another. I've eliminated ones that have similar 4th Ed. characters (Knight Templar, Questing Knight, Vampire, Dragon Priest, High Priest, etc.)

Why did you remove Inquisitor?

From what I can see:

Astronomer = Prophetess (in)

Ogre = Troll (in)

Orc = I suspect we will never see any orcs in 4th edition for some reason

Black Orc = Orc

Chaos Warrior, Warrior of Chaos = Dark Cultist

Shaman = Gypsy

Wardancer = Highlander

Witch Elf = Warhammer

Personally I believe they will avoid Zulu to avoid accusations of racism.

Edited by JemyM, 08 March 2014 - 03:54 AM.

#23 JemyM

JemyM

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:59 AM

Isn't there an item in the Dragon deck that allows you to use craft in battles? No need to wait for that sword in a Forest expansion.

When I mentioned that Sword it's in part based on my experience of what the forest offered from a tactical/strategical point of view (when playing 3rd edition with all expansions); a place you go to grind your craft-based character. You gain a couple of craft points, a few spells and hopefully that sword, then you are viable to take on the inner region.

#24 JediKnightAmoeba

JediKnightAmoeba

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:22 AM

I think these are all of the 2nd and 3rd Ed. characters that have not made an appearance in some form or another. I've eliminated ones that have similar 4th Ed. characters (Knight Templar, Questing Knight, Vampire, Dragon Priest, High Priest, etc.)

From what I can see:

Ogre = Troll (in)

Black Orc = Orc

Shaman = Gypsy

Wardancer = Highlander

Witch Elf = Warhammer

We also have the Ogre Chieftain already---> Ogre.   

I wouldn't consider the Highlander a Wardancer by any means...different races and totally different background.

I am curious why they have avoided Orcs and Gobbos as Characters thus far.

And you guys and your Dinosaurs....and Parrots?  Event:  Flock of Parrots flies across the realm and takes all Gold back to the Pirate Cove Space.   :-)

#25 sanityismyvanity

sanityismyvanity

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:01 AM

From what I can see:

Ogre = Troll (in)

Black Orc = Orc

Shaman = Gypsy

Wardancer = Highlander

Witch Elf = Warhammer

I was thinking about the Warhammer connection with the Inquisitor, but it's fairly generic also, so could see a remake one day.

I agree about the Zulu, really doubt it will be coming back.

#26 JemyM

JemyM

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 03:53 AM

I wouldn't consider the Highlander a Wardancer by any means...different races and totally different background.

I agree. I had an old note about this and just had a second look. I do not know where I got this from.

#27 talismanisland

talismanisland

Harbourmaster

• Members
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 07:46 AM

I agree. I had an old note about this and just had a second look. I do not know where I got this from.

Because the charge ability of the 2nd and 4th Edition Highlander is the same as the charge ability of the 3rd Edition Wardancer.

Harbourmaster at Talisman Island - 15 magical years and counting!

Sometimes I even update the Talisman Island Facebook Page!

#28 JediKnightAmoeba

JediKnightAmoeba

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 05:22 PM

OK, so does anyone think the next expansion will NOT be a 4th corner?  There are obviously a lot of loopholes and missing streamlines to this game.  The fact the firelands is such a good expansion with a totally different feel than others is obvious I believe....and it was also designed by a new designer.....  Do you think this designer if he is put in charge of the next expansion will want to tie the game together better, maybe nerf some of the uber-game changers and make the game more dynamic and balanced?  

Balance is something I have never really cared for in Talisman(unless I have been on the short-end of the stick playing this game like the last 10 times I have played it.)  I have rifled through about 3 characters per game in the last many games....I actually died the last time by my 3rd turn...and on my 4th turn with my second character....then I said eff it and heckled the rest of the players while I drank wine.

I would believe if they release a 4th corner the game is pretty much done as far as expansions go....if the board is complete and symmetrical not as many people will have interest in purchasing future expansions.  So if they want to prolong the game it would probably be intelligent to NOT release the 4th corner yet...string us along with some great additions to the game before releasing the 4th corner.....and then release Talisman 5th edition with streamlined Relic rules.  :-)

#29 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 695 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 06:07 PM

Well, when the Dragons expansion came out, I seem to recall that most of us were expecting a corner expansion - as the previous one, Sacred Pool? was not. 

they had been going small/corner/small/corner, like that.

So Dragons, though it had a board, but was not a corner board, sorta threw a wrench into what seemed to be a 'pattern'.

Then after Dragons, came Blood Moon (another small set, and btw, gave us a great new mechanic)

So after Blood Moon, did come The City.  Then there was about a whole year of nothing (previously they came - whichever one, about every 6 to 7 months, kinda sort).

So then came first the news of Firelands - a small set, and then before that was here, we got our first ever POD, The Nether Realm.

So it's anyone's guess what pattern or not, they may be following.

Quite frankly I would be glad with anything. I think PODs may be the wave of the future as they are small, so less intensive on the levels of pricing or actual 'product'.  They could be like NR, and be totally new, or they could take off in 'flights' of fancy with just about anything - refer to some of my previous posts for ideas about a "Hidden Valley" POD, for example.

I think a while back, one of our non-English (as a first language) speaking players suggested that a hint was given to him by the people who produce the foreign language sets, that the final corner board would have a big surprize or two.

so for those who care, that could mean, NOT a Forest!   But who really know?

#30 DomaGB

DomaGB

• Members
  • 429 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:34 PM

I don't think it will matter a bit, what order they produce expansions, people will buy them nevertheless. Those who don't buy will already have their reasons.

RoboRally, then Talisman. That's the way it is... ;)

#31 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 695 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:33 PM

I don't think it will matter a bit, what order they produce expansions, people will buy them nevertheless. Those who don't buy will already have their reasons.

I agree, of course, but for folks like me, well, we do want to figure out when things are happening.  By the 'pattern' I show, more or less, most of us thought we'd be a lot closer to the 4th corner - - but it isn't neccessarily so and people like me are intrigued with when and what may happen along the way (but, agree, we'll still buy whatever does come our way)

#32 Bolithio

Bolithio

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 08:12 PM

I think it would be interesting to have a board that covered the middle and inner regions. The crown could be on a mysterious island - representing the new inner region, with the middle region being a sea zone with various spaces to travel on, once you have found some type of boat or ship item from the outer region... You need to brave the dangerous seas to reach the forbidding island, then make your way to the center to claim the crown!

#33 Maverick87

Maverick87

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:44 PM

As long as they give us the last corner before discontinuing the game I will be happy. I cannot stand seeing an open corner on my table.

#34 talismanisland

talismanisland

Harbourmaster

• Members
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:51 PM

Just buy another City! Scribes and Flails for all!! :)

Harbourmaster at Talisman Island - 15 magical years and counting!

Sometimes I even update the Talisman Island Facebook Page!

#35 DomaGB

DomaGB

• Members
  • 429 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:22 PM

No, another Highlands for the Dragons!

• talismanisland likes this

#36 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 695 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 07:59 AM

The sooner the final corner comes out, the sooner I'll have to get a bigger table or fabricate a larger playing area. So I don't mind waiting... at least till the end of the year.

#37 adjogi

adjogi

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:45 PM

A bigger table might not do it. The way it's going we may need two and push them together!

Welcome to "Monsters & Magic", a NJ based Talisman Game Club!

http://www.njtalisma...onstersandmagic

#38 DomaGB

DomaGB

• Members
  • 429 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:03 PM

My friend bought a huge kitchen table, he's single and a gamer, there's plenty of room, but for most of us, 2 is gonna have to work. I already bought 2 folding tables at Sam's club for $100. I am glad I did.

#39 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:50 AM

Have 2 tables pushed together to form a 6ft x 5ft playing area. Both tables have been covered with black self adhesive felt. Works brilliantly!!!

#40 JediKnightAmoeba

JediKnightAmoeba

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:39 PM

I think the expansion after the next corner should be a "travel-sized boards expansion".  Package all the boards in a box with scaled down sizes.  

I actually already had one of the tables that DomaGB is talking about from Sam's Club but I think I got mine somewhere else a few years ago.  That is the table we use for all the character cards, playing spaces and extra supplies since everything will not fit on my round table.  My table is fairly large too, we comfortably seat 8 of us for dinner..... 

Edited by JediKnightAmoeba, 25 March 2014 - 10:07 PM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS