Next Expansion?

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#1 JediKnightAmoeba

JediKnightAmoeba

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:00 AM

So now that The Firelands is available and quite a few people have it, what is the next expansion?  And when will the next expansion be released?  For those that do not have Firelands yet....read this review, you can not put it more eloquently.  Bottom line, you need this expansion.

Each year they have released at least 1 expansion since the game was released as Revised 4th edition. Very early last year we had The City and late in the year The Nether Realm expansion POD.  With the corner expansions they have been true to Talisman 3rd Edition by releasing the same corner expansions thus far.  However, they have strung us along in a longer (and more costly) fashion by releasing each expansion with only one corner rather than the thrifty and expeditious 2 corner expansion boxes in 3rd edition.  With 4th edition though, we have been blessed with much better artwork and all these wondrous small expansions.  Yes, we did get the wacky Dragon expansion in this edition but house-rules can help it be playable.  So when we lay out our boards on our VERY LARGE table and look at it in all it's splendor we have one glaring thing missing.....A fourth corner.

So what is next?  I believe they are going to hold true and keep it simple....a Forest Expansion.  I really like some of the ideas that have been mentioned on this thread though.  The Sea Expansion is well worth exploring (I am surprised there is not one on Talisman Island yet).  The Nekropolis is great idea and looks nice.  We really need some anti-magic users;  Magic wielders seem to control the fate of the game.  Ranged rules?  Yes, please.  There probably is not much hope but I wanted a High Elf since I always play High Elves in Warhammer Fantasy Battle and usually use the Dragon Rider in Talisman 3rd Edition.

Are they going to utilize the POD expansions more?  Could we get another release this year in this manner?  I hope so!

So if it is the Forest, how will they make this one unique?.  What characters are we missing?  What mechanics, if any, need added?  When will it be released?  Q4 this year?  

If they decided to go off the rails and make something that was not the forest, what would it be?  They have alternated between Big and Small expansions thus far so the next one should be corner 4...but could it be something else? 

Edited by JediKnightAmoeba, 06 March 2014 - 09:01 AM.

#2 sanityismyvanity

sanityismyvanity

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:23 AM

I think they'll continue as they have already and make the Forest 4th corner board expansion next. I would figure old school characters like the Ranger and Woodsman would be in it, and possibly some others like the Centaur, Halfling or Satyr getting in there. Maybe an Elvish spellcaster, and a possibly a Pixie type spellcaster.

As far as new mechanics, I have no idea really. I wouldn't mind it if they did something revolving around the Seelie and Unseelie Courts for Faerie folk in the expansion, using light and dark fate markers in some way to denote which Court certain cards belong to. This way, each card with the Court designation could have 2 different sets of instructions, which one is used is dependent on if the Light or Dark side is placed faceup on the card.

An example would be a Craft 4 Enemy that if the Unseelie (Dark) side is showing, causes you to discard a Spell before Psychic Combat or lose 1 Life, and if the Seelie (Light) side is showing, the Enemy can be taken as a Follower that gives you a Spell at the start of your turn if you don't have one.

It's an idea that is extremely unlikely, but I think it would be interesting. In one game a certain card could be a nice benefit to you, and the next a major hindrance.

I'd bet on the release being around December 2014.

• 0beron and glennk9p like this

#3 metalzo

metalzo

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:53 AM

Agreed that it will be a Forest theme. Hopefully with some sort of unique board layout, and not just a rehash of the Dungeon/Highlands formula with a forest theme. No need for a "boss" per se, as I feel we've got enough of those with the Dungeon, Highlands, Dragon, and several alternate endings. One interesting concept would be to use it to somehow connect from the Forest Space to the Cursed Glade, as another route to the Middle Region. I'm hoping the movement isn't such a linear path, given that it's a Forest after all. The layout of the 2nd edition City might be a useful starting point, but without the shops (or you could replace the shops with hideouts or something).

Another cool idea would be to mix in a few very powerful objects in the Forest Deck, as opposed to the boss reward mechanic we've seen before, to encourage exploration rather than the standard race to the boss of the Dungeon or Highland. That would also somewhat mitigate the overpowered nature of the City items like the flail, if one could draw even more powerful items (only a few in the deck) via the Forest.

#4 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:35 AM

I too feel it will be a Forest, and since I never played the 3rd set (raising a family,e tc.) that would be great.

I won't elaborate on any ideas I might have, but will suggest or remind that the numbering of the various sets, does seem to indicate that another 'one' is due this year. I believe Jon/Talisman Island mentioned this too, but I don't remember how that plays out.

Beyond that, POD maybe a good way to have "other" types of expansions. Nether Realms is one of those, smaller and easy to alter for regular game use, beyond the normal rules for it.

{{ my latest idea, not tested yet, would be "Anytime a Rune Gate card is revealed or you land on a space where one is, you must also draw a Nether realm card, as the gate opened upon discovery and let *something * out.  You wouldn't have to tie it into Day/Night either. I'm tempted to alter Rune Gate card rules and alwasy leave it on the space; you can't teleport unless you defeat the enemy?  Kind of rough, but it leaves permanant gates open, so a trade off? }}

I wonder if the various missing characters, some of which may not be included in the Forest or other expansions could be rounded up for a different kind of POD or regular expansion. 

Say a larger number than we get, with the ones that we're all waiting for, and or new ones. Firelands show us that there are other rich mythologies that might be able to visit the realm.  Eastern. How about Native American, and African (Witchdoctor). Very cool to me. so maybe 10 or 12 of those, and maybe some of the alt endings that haven't been realized yet, or new ones to go with the new characters.

#5 JemyM

JemyM

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:01 PM

The board and enemies of 3rd edition Forest favor Craft and the board an enemies of 3rd edition and 4th edition Dungeon favor Strength. I suspect the forest will be slightly better suited for craft-based characters with a higher chance of drawing opponents with craft and a slightly higher average. In 3rd edition you had a strong chance of replenishing spells, earning more craft and you could even get the gamebreaking awesome Sword of Power.

I would personally like a corner expansion that connects the woods and forest spaces.

3rd Edition
Forest Enemies
 Strength: 7 cards, 17,50% chance, 3,14 average
 Craft: 9 cards, 22,50% chance, 4 average
Wraith Lord: Craft 6, Talisman, 2 gold

Dungeon Enemies
 Strength: 12 cards, 31,58% chance, 4,58 average
 Craft: 2 cards, 5,26% chance, 5 average
Lord of Darkness: Strength 6, Talisman, 2 gold

4th Edition
Dungeon Enemies
 Strength: 44 cards, 34,38% chance, 3 average
 Craft: 33 cards, 25,78% chance, 2,8 average
Space: Guard Room: Guard of Strength 5
Lord of Darkness: Strength 12 and Craft 12, gain 1 treasure

#6 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:15 PM

Can someone tell more about the Sword of Power?

Wraith Lord, that was someone/thing that Velhart mentioned a bit.  Hey... where in the world has he been, for, oh, over a year.  Wonder about that...

I like the idea of having additional woods or Forest spaces in the Forest Expansion. Having said that, the Terrain cards from Firelands will make more of those spaces too.

As I've seen concepts from one set (Warlocks/Quest cards/Rewards) be a part of more than 1 expansion, the same could go for Terrain cards, issueing a few more or different types, perhaps. But maybe the dynamic that triggers them could be different.

In addition to more Craft-based enemies or higher Craft probabilities, I like the idea of maybe, not a boss, but a space perhaps, The Vampire's Castle/Crypt. I know we have that up in the Inner, but maybe a spin that makes it different, and perhaps a great treasure, for Vampires are known to amass wealth over their incredible life spans.  But I'm tired of the Vampire Prince(s) so I want this to be a Queen of Vampires' Palace!

#7 JediKnightAmoeba

JediKnightAmoeba

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:42 PM

Can someone tell more about the Sword of Power?

In the Forest Deck:

Sword of Power

The Sword of Power allows you to use your craft instead of your strength in Battle.  Object   5   Keep

#8 Artaterxes

Artaterxes

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:44 PM

I also think it would be Forest. But let's be real here, guys.

- We have a Dungeon, Mountain, City, and probably Forest.

- We have a grim reaper. Angels and devils. Halloween. Icy theme, now fire theme (Persian).

- A giant dragon expansion.

We have every single fantasy trope......

... except pirates!

Haha, what if they made a "sea" board that wrapped around the expansion boards?? It would make it even bigger! And it could extend inward to fill in the gaps between the L-shaped boards.

I'm just talking out of my rear-end here, I'm not actually serious. But yeah, Forest expansion... I bet that one's next.

Or pirate. :P

#9 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:52 PM

I also think it would be Forest. But let's be real here, guys.

- We have a Dungeon, Mountain, City, and probably Forest.

- We have a grim reaper. Angels and devils. Halloween. Icy theme, now fire theme (Persian).

- A giant dragon expansion.

... except pirates!

Haha, what if they made a "sea" board that wrapped around the expansion boards?? It would make it even bigger! And it could extend inward to fill in the gaps between the L-shaped boards.

I'm just talking out of my rear-end here, I'm not actually serious. But yeah, Forest expansion... I bet that one's next.

Or pirate. :P

i'M certainly not against it! But I don't see that in the new future, if at all.

I previously advocated for 'boardlets' which could fill in those between L-shaped boards. 

The thing about the ocean or sea is, it could be in the fashion of the old Timescape, where a limited amount of spaces ' dynamic would be that even if two or more players are on the same spot, well, the sea is vast, so you're just out there, pulling a card, not neccesarily encountering each other.  I think that is how timescape worked. If you were both at the Sentinel Outpost or whatever, you really weren't in the same area; vast sea.

So that is a smaller way to have the sea. Right now I would be in no position (as I imagine many are) to have a table that big; the sea board(s) would add probably at least 10 inches on either side.

but, as in the Dragon Realm, perhaps a board could serve two purposes. Maybe the final L shape is Forest on one side and ocean on the other...

#10 JediKnightAmoeba

JediKnightAmoeba

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:04 PM

... except pirates!

You have the SwashBuckler!!!  Where is my High Elf Prince?   :D

#11 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:16 PM

maybe a thread of its' own, but how about we do 2 things

1) Tally all the characters from ANY edition, that have not been put into the 4th edition - so we can see what we need still

2) Serious and good ideas for new characters (that someone nice, and able, could you know, pass on, to TPTB

I don't think I know how many and how varied these characters are.

off the top of my head, I seem to remember there was  a Pirate, a High Elf, a Ninja (did that come back yet?), a Witchdoctor, a Samurai.   My head hurts from trying to remember what else.

I purposely did not include the Timescape characters, since it may not be likely they would fit, without a Timescape re-visioned.

But a part of me thinks that maybe there could be a way for 1 or 2 to be present in Talisman: A scientist type. There was science in medieval times, Math people, Astronomy people, etc.  So, maybe. Since the idea would be (mostly) that he either knows things that others don't and/or 'tests' things, scientific exploration, there could be some way to adapt that to the current.

A part of thinks that maybe only one, time/dimensional displaced character would not be a burden. There have been lots of great sci-fi or fantasy where someone is transported and trapped out of their time.  Why not? You wouldnt' have to give them a whole lot of gadgets, but something. There are a couple of 'artefact' cards; maybe he gets +1 because he understands things better (lame... sorry).

Of course, in a way, the Nether REalm, which is "another dimesion" is the way to go with an adapted Timescape. Think extra-dimensional, rather than 'future times'. So instead of an Alien analog, its a demonic being with various powers.

How about a dimensionally displaced Prince or Princess who needs to enter a Rune Gate in order to go home - and brings a reward to those who help them?

#12 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:23 PM

There was an Astronomer character in the 3rd edition of Talisman.

#13 JediKnightAmoeba

JediKnightAmoeba

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:38 PM

Off the top of My head....We are missing a Skaven, Dark Elf, High Elf, Orc or Goblin and a Lizardman.  

#14 sanityismyvanity

sanityismyvanity

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:27 PM

I think these are all of the 2nd and 3rd Ed. characters that have not made an appearance in some form or another. I've eliminated ones that have similar 4th Ed. characters (Knight Templar, Questing Knight, Vampire, Dragon Priest, High Priest, etc.)

Archaeologist
Astronaut
Astronomer
Astropath
Barbarian
Beastman
Black Orc
Centaur    
Chainsaw Warrior
Chaos Dwarf
Chaos Sorcerer    
Chaos Warrior    
Cyborg    
Dark Elf    
Goblin Fanatic
Halfling    
Hobgoblin
Inquisitor
Martial Artist
Ninja
Ogre
Orc
Pilgrim    
Pirate
Ranger    
Samurai
Saracen    
Satyr
Scientist
Scout
Shaman
Skaven
Soldier
Space Marine
Space Pirate
Swordsman
Wardancer
Warrior of Chaos
Witch Doctor
Witch Elf
Wood Elf
Woodsman
Zulu

Personally, I don't think we will ever see FFG remake Timescape or any characters that are Warhammer specific. This reduces the list to:

Astronomer
Barbarian
Centaur    
Dark Elf    
Halfling    
Hobgoblin
Martial Artist
Ninja
Ogre
Orc
Pilgrim    
Pirate
Ranger    
Samurai
Saracen    
Satyr
Scout
Shaman
Soldier
Swordsman
Witch Doctor
Witch Elf
Wood Elf
Woodsman
Zulu

Dark Elf/Witch Elf/Wood Elf are debatable, since they are both generic and appear in Warhammer. Additionally, the following have been announced as being special characters that are being added to Talisman Digital Edition, which leads me to believe they won't be making a 4th Ed. appearance.

Barbarian

Martial Artist

Ninja

Pirate

Samurai

Saracen (similar to the new Warlord)

Witch Doctor

• JediKnightAmoeba, tarasis and 0beron like this

#15 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:39 PM

Holy Tomatoes!  I had no idea there would be so many (probably didn't take 3rd Ed into account, since I've never seen it!)

While I agree about Timescape, if enough people wanted a new play on that, like "other dimensions" (the Death/Necropolis dimension) perhaps that would work, and some of these characters would change into a suitable version.

You've brought back some memories from the 2nd edition: Satyr, Saracen, Hobgoblin, Centaur. 

I still would like to see an expansion that just dumped these characters out there, like a POD expansion.

• JediKnightAmoeba and sanityismyvanity like this

#16 sanityismyvanity

sanityismyvanity

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:59 PM

I agree 0beron, a POD character pack with 8-12 characters would be pretty great. Not sure they would though, due to all current characters having miniatures, and POD characters probably wouldn't.

• 0beron likes this

#17 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:11 PM

I agree 0beron, a POD character pack with 8-12 characters would be pretty great. Not sure they would though, due to all current characters having miniatures, and POD characters probably wouldn't.

SILLY, silly me, of course you're right.   Drat. well back to the drawing board.

This is a good thread. I was waiting for it, because I want that darn corner board.

#18 DomaGB

DomaGB

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:22 PM

Isn't there an item in the Dragon deck that allows you to use craft in battles? No need to wait for that sword in a Forest expansion.

RoboRally, then Talisman. That's the way it is... ;)

#19 adjogi

adjogi

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:53 PM

If i had a choice I would pick a Forest expansion AND a Sea Expansion. Everyone's opinion is that a Forest is almost a given at this point and though it will be by no means unwelcome, what a wonderful surprise a Sea Expansion would be! The pirates, the ships, the booty, the mermaids....Walk the plank....X marks the spot....the list is endless and would open up the realm to so much more than we have had so far. Not to mention the parrots.

Welcome to "Monsters & Magic", a NJ based Talisman Game Club!

http://www.njtalisma...onstersandmagic

#20 DomaGB

DomaGB

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:09 PM

A sea expansion could add so much more content afterwards, to have more lands to explore...including a land of dinosaurs!

RoboRally, then Talisman. That's the way it is... ;)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS