Photo

Does everyone here paint there minitures?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 rainman8

rainman8

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 03:18 PM

I have painted my figurines from Talisman/reaper, not with the professional toy paint but just acrylic (a couple of people from amazon.co.uk said they used it for plastic figurines and it was fine). But compared to some of the painted figurines I've seen here they are very ordinary, still better than plain old grey though :) Is it the skill level that is mainly responsible for other painted figurines looking so much better or the type of paint? I put a gloss on afterward aswell.

Also, I read on the net that for shading characters (making the small features more defined) you can just mix black paint with water and cover after painting. Does anyone else do this? Any tips would be appreciated as I am thinking of redoing a few of my characters as I became too impatient to finish and did a bit of a rush job.

Cheers

#2 JediKnightAmoeba

JediKnightAmoeba

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 03:35 PM

The paint helps. More-so the brushes but even after that, a lot of it is skill. All I have to say is check out the Golden Demon contest. Those figures are insane. I used to game with a guy that had won a few Golden Demon's out of Pittsburgh and He would spend 100+ hours on one figure for those contests.

I don't paint My Talisman figures but I do paint some of my other miniatures. There Mini's are a pain because they are such "soft" plastic, not the high-density resin like stuff GW uses for their lines. I usually use GW, Vallejo or Reaper paints. Some of the ones I use are from the craft store but they have nowhere the consistency or fine pigment to them.

Edited by JediKnightAmoeba, 04 March 2014 - 03:35 PM.

#3 arolig

arolig

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:49 PM

I have started painting all of mine. Thats 29 character+4 toads and reaper. About half are done, and half have 3-4 colors on them. And just that (some color, not even doen) does so mutch with the feeling of the game. 

I palyed the game the other day with a friends version of the game, unpainted, and it felt naked compared to my own ones.

I use games workshop paint, mainly becouse i also have warhammer. I would think that would be expensive to buy colors for all those models. I advise asking some warhammerplayers to paint them for you actually, find a local club and pay some bucks for ppl to paint them. It's cheaper than buying all those colors anyways, and you don't need to do the work yourself.

#4 metalzo

metalzo

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:17 AM

I would love to have them painted, as I'm useless at doing that sort of thing myself. I've seen some companies that will paint them for you, but I'm nervous about shipping all of my minis to them. Has anyone tried that route?

#5 rainman8

rainman8

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:57 AM

I would love to have them painted, as I'm useless at doing that sort of thing myself. I've seen some companies that will paint them for you, but I'm nervous about shipping all of my minis to them. Has anyone tried that route?

I would like to try the same with a couple of mine aswell. I did know the perfect place in Australia where I used to live, it was a "warhammer" themed shop in the mall around the corner from my old apartment (they had a huge table with some kind of battlefield and all these decorated characters and a big scary and hairy man used to teach people how to play). They sold all the paints and equipment but I wasn't interested back then and am in Italy now and haven't come across any shops like that here yet.

I have ordered blood moon so will have another go myself. I think one of my big problems is the quality of my brushes as I keep having to redo areas again and again because the bristles are all split and go in every direction. I don't have the surgeon hands either :(. I actually used a gold and silver pen for the metallic things like swords and armour but I think that is starting to fade away. I used some basil for grass and curry powder for desert sand :)

#6 metalzo

metalzo

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:59 AM

That must lead to some particularly aromatic Talisman sessions! I think for now I'll ask at my local gaming store in DC because I'd feel much more comfortable dropping them off and picking them up in person rather than shipping them.

Edited by metalzo, 05 March 2014 - 12:00 PM.

#7 rainman8

rainman8

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:21 PM

That must lead to some particularly aromatic Talisman sessions! I think for now I'll ask at my local gaming store in DC because I'd feel much more comfortable dropping them off and picking them up in person rather than shipping them.

Can you let me know how much they charge and how long it will take them to paint? If it seems reasonable It might encourage me to search for a game shop here. I searched amazon for different paint and thought the professional ones like Vallejo and reaper paints were very expensive, I found an all purpose acrylic 9 colour set that costed something like 4 times less but looking at some of the figurines online they appear far superior.

#8 Pasko75

Pasko75

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:55 PM

I have painted all my figurines, last 4 included, so thats about 62. I used Testor decorative paint, about 25 colors for 50$. I'v never painted before except walls...But decided to try with talisman's minis because i love that game. I'm happy with the result, not a pro but still :), but i will use a varnish to protect them longer. I had to use a hair dryer after painting, had some troubles if not.

It makes the game looks better with painted figurines. And more satisfying when doing it yourself.

Edited by Pasko75, 05 March 2014 - 08:28 PM.

#9 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 990 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 04:59 PM

I paint mine! Got 15 done so far, using Vallejo Game Colour. I'm finding it pretty addictive, actually... the key is priming the next one before you've finished the one you're currently doing...

#10 bowlwoman

bowlwoman

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:36 PM

I got my husband a bunch of miniature paint for Christmas because he wants to paint our miniatures, but we haven't had a chance to break it out yet. He did a lot of miniature painting as a kid, but I've never really done it.

Any estimates on how much time we could expect to spend per miniature? I know that's an asinine question, as you have to take in level of detail desired, inherent painting aptitude, and previous experience, but should we expect to spend more than a couple of hours per miniature in general? Just trying to budget out some time with work and the kiddos.

#11 JediKnightAmoeba

JediKnightAmoeba

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:16 PM

Like you said it depends on the amount of detail....but for one character with minimal highlights: about 2 hours. I am kind of slow and I like to put 5 or 6 layers of highlights so it takes me about 10 hours per miniature.

I find the quickest way to get a decent looking miniature, in a relatively quick time frame, is to put one dark coat of all the base colours then drybrush it with a medium shade and then put a light highlight of that color in essential areas.

Edited by JediKnightAmoeba, 29 March 2014 - 05:33 PM.

#12 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 01:18 AM

Character Playing Tokens for Old School Players at Talisman Island is an option if you don't paint miniatures or aren't very good at painting. Just purchase some slot bases to put them in!

http://www.talismani...m/downloads.htm

Ell.

#13 Johonasen

Johonasen

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:51 PM

My girlfriend is painting mine as my birthday xmas present this ear and it is seriously one of the best gifts ever.  She is doing a great job.  I will post pics when she has 20 or so done.  I believe she is one # 8 or 9. 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS