GM Screen incoming!

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Desslok

Desslok

• Members
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:06 PM

Mind you, not exactly a shocking revelation here - but there's a GM screen coming too.

Interestingly, there's this tidbit:

What’s more, the GM Kit provides guidance for linking the adventures included in the Core Rulebook, Star Wars: Age of Rebellion Beginner Game, and the Star Wars: Age of Rebellion Beta to the Dead in the Water adventure in the GM Kit, so you’ll be able to create a larger narrative in the form of a continuing campaign for your players.

So a three part starter game? That's kind of cool. Mind you, much like Crate of Krates, you wont be able to get your hands on the Beta game after - oh, about 6 months from now. But it's still a keen idea.

#2 Internutt

Internutt

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:14 PM

Yeah. I'm loving the artwork on the GM screen. The paperback adventure is always a nice touch too.

Looks like I'm keeping my beta book after all.

Play tester for Age of Rebellion Stay on Target

#3 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:17 PM

Interesting about being able to link the various adventures together.  I know that was something that got asked about quite often back when EotE came out.

I'll be buying this primarily for the adventure, as I've already got a pretty good GM screen for this system.

• BlackCross5 and kaosoe like this

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

#4 progressions

progressions

• Members
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:22 PM

Sounds like the Squads and Squadrons rules might help a lot of folks who've been asking after "mass combat".

• That Blasted Samophlange, pathstrider, Jegergryte and 2 others like this

EOTE Styles and Dice Symbols for Obsidian Portal

Our group's EOTE Obsidian Portal: Explorers on the Edge

#5 troy70

troy70

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:39 PM

Take my MONEY!!

#6 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 997 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:59 PM

Awww, yisss...  :P

Looks like they've still got some beta books they wanna move!

Very excited to see the squads and squadrons rules. This is a buy for me.

I guess Grampa Palpy will be the central character on the F&D screen!

#7 Colyer

Colyer

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 05:23 PM

That screen looks awesome. I like the EotE screen a lot, but it has nothing on this one. I'll be buying for the screen... to replace the one I already have... because I'm a sucker for pretty things.

Disappointed to see the Dice Symbol explanation is still on it. I wish they didn't include things you'll never need to look up again after session two of the system....

• I. J. Thompson and kaosoe like this

#8 That Blasted Samophlange

That Blasted Samophlange

• Members
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 05:34 PM

Sounds like the Squads and Squadrons rules might help a lot of folks who've been asking after "mass combat".

Not to mention that it could be useful for manning turbolaser batteries and the like.
You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of EU.

#9 Tashiro31

Tashiro31

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:08 PM

I thought this was the ONE thing I could pass on because it would be virtually identical to the Eote GM screen.  A direct pipeline from my wallet to the coffers at Fantasy Flight games has been established.

• Jegergryte, pressie, Keeop and 3 others like this

#10 Colyer

Colyer

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 12:53 AM

And despite all my drooling, my players almost unanimously voted they like the old one better. Oh well. I'll still buy it for the adventure, I think, and my players can suffer through their (very beautiful) second choice for a session here or there.

#11 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,720 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 12:56 AM

The optional rule thing is a good idea on FFG's part.  Good way too boost appeal for the product.  I think they could do the same thing with some trade/commerce/cargo rules and a nice galaxy map with hyperspace lanes on a nice fold out board.

• Colyer, kaosoe and polyheadronman like this

My group's Obsidian Portal campaign site: It's All in the Trigger Squeeze  and D&D 5E  Swords for Adventure

#12 lupex

lupex

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:00 AM

I definitely prefer the edge screen but I will be picking this up anyway.
  • Keeop likes this
"Given a choice between calling upon a bounty hunter or a Jedi, folks turned
to the Jedi because we worked for free and are concerned about collateral
damage." - Jedi Master Luke Skywalker

#13 KRKappel

KRKappel

• Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:42 AM

So i wrote the adventure and bonus rules for the AOR GM Kit. I can tell you this is not one to pass up! This was a project where I feel like I was really able to pull out all the stops and go a little crazy. I can't wait for this to come out so I can hear what you all think.

• jordiver2, I. J. Thompson, Keeop and 4 others like this

Official Contributor: Edge of the Empire: Suns of Fortune, Far Horizons, Age of Rebellion: GM's Kit, Stay on Target, and Force & Destiny: Core Rulebook

Follow me @KRKappel, facebook, and my author site. Co-founder Fandom Comics

#14 polyheadronman

polyheadronman

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:46 AM

We just finished running the adventure for EotE GM kit, and my group loved it.  If the title for this adventure means anything, I will buy it for sure.  The optional squad/squadron rules just put one last nail in the coffin.

Can't wait, Keith and co.

"Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb."

#15 Magnus Grendel

Magnus Grendel

The Empire Needs You!

• Members
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:41 AM

What’s more, the GM Kit provides guidance for linking the adventures included in the Core Rulebook, Star Wars: Age of Rebellion Beginner Game, and the Star Wars: Age of Rebellion Beta to the Dead in the Water adventure in the GM Kit, so you’ll be able to create a larger narrative in the form of a continuing campaign for your players.

So a three part starter game? That's kind of cool. Mind you, much like Crate of Krates, you wont be able to get your hands on the Beta game after - oh, about 6 months from now. But it's still a keen idea.

I would very, very much like them to re-publish Operation Shell Game as a seperate thing, or bundled up in an adventure book, for this reason. Especially since the Beta never popped up as a downloadable version (unless someone can correct me) from DrivethruRPG or similar, unlike the Only War or Dark Heresy betas.

• kaosoe likes this

#16 Internutt

Internutt

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:27 AM

Magnus. There are no PDFs of the Beta because FFG aren't allowed to sell PDFs of SWRPG books. This has always been the case for the star wars license.

They will not republish it, just as they did not republish the EotE beta's adventure module

Edited by Internutt, 04 March 2014 - 07:27 AM.

Play tester for Age of Rebellion Stay on Target

#17 That Blasted Samophlange

That Blasted Samophlange

• Members
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:31 AM

However, FFG have made the free rpg day adventure available for download as a pdf. So, making the beta adventures available in this way could work.
You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of EU.

#18 Colyer

Colyer

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 12:55 PM

However, FFG have made the free rpg day adventure available for download as a pdf. So, making the beta adventures available in this way could work.

I think (I can't possibly know for sure) there were a lot of hoops to jump through on that one. I think it was only possible because it was free from the first place, and even then they changed the name and altered the contents. I heard someone say they had to present it as Promotional Materials in order to be allowed to do that in the first place.

That said, I don't really know what they can and can't do. I just think it's a lot more complicated than we may think some times.

#19 Ghostofman

Ghostofman

• Members
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 01:03 PM

I think (I can't possibly know for sure) there were a lot of hoops to jump through on that one. I think it was only possible because it was free from the first place, and even then they changed the name and altered the contents. I heard someone say they had to present it as Promotional Materials in order to be allowed to do that in the first place.

That said, I don't really know what they can and can't do. I just think it's a lot more complicated than we may think some times.

With WotC the deal was they could release some materials as free downloadable PDFs by classifying them as "marketing materials." It appears that FFG has the same license WotC had that classified PDFs of actual game books as "Electronic Games" which falls under a different license.

So adventure modules like Black Sun and Long Arm, and the Bonus Character Folios are free PDFs because you still need to buy the Books to actually play the game for realsies. Those PDFs are just something that might make you want to go out and buy the books if you haven't already.

Edited by Ghostofman, 04 March 2014 - 01:05 PM.

MAGIC HEADPHONES PROTECT ME FROM THE SPACE!

#20 Castlecruncher

Castlecruncher

• Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:46 PM

I'll be buying this primarily for the adventure, as I've already got a pretty good GM screen for this system.

I'll be buying it for both, since my EotE GM Screen got busted up when someone from my group at school messed with it (even after I told him to stop it) and dropped it on the floor. I have since revoked them of the right of using the book.

But yeah, it will be fun to have the new pamphlet, and of course the screen will hold new info for the new gear as well.

• kaosoe likes this

"Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim."

-Elie Wiesel

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS