Should FFG had made the Falcon unique?

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#101 Hexis

Hexis

• Members
  • 700 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:13 AM

Yeah, those dual YT lists are so overpowered they are dominating the tournament scene.

Oh wait...

The major tournaments winning lists are not even featuring a single YT.

#102 Awing Test Pilot

Awing Test Pilot

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:22 AM

has anyone ever fielded or played agains a TRIPLE YT list? just curious. Like, Han and 2 ORS?

#103 Radzap

Radzap

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:43 AM

The titles for particular ships should be unique to stay consistent with Slave-1, Lamba 321, and the Crow. The actual upgraded build should be purchasable separately at a premium. So let's say you can field one Falcon and upgrade another YT to the same specs but for a few points more.

I'm not sure if the Falcon was an oversight or not, but I'm highly critical that it is not consistent with the other unique titles.

• oneway likes this

Imperial Ships:  5 Tie Fighters -- 5 Tie Interceptors -- 1 Tie Advanced -- 5 Tie Bomber -- 2 Firespray-31 -- 1 Lamba-Class Shuttle --   2 Defenders -- 1 Phantom

Rebel Scum: 3 X-Wing Fighters -- 1 Y-Wing Fighter -- 1 B-Wing Fighter -- 1 A-Wing Fighter -- 1 HWK-290 -- 1 YT-1300

#104 Bilisknir

Bilisknir

• Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:48 AM

Er whut? Falcon is a unique title. Can only have one per game. Now whenHan, Chewie, and Lando are flying together, only one can be in the Falcon, the others are in Weaponised/Militarised YT-1300 transports.

• stegocent likes this

Bilisknir corrupt ver of Bilskirnir (Old Norse "lightning-crack"). The hall of the god Thor in Norse mythology.

Rebel: 8 X-Wing, 9 A-Wing, 4 Y-Wing, 8 B-Wing, 2 YT-1300, 2 HWK-290, 2 GR-75 Transport, 1 Corellian Corvette, 8 Z-95, 4 E-Wing, 3 YT-2400

Imperials: 9 Tie/ln, 10 Tie Int, 5 Tie Bomber, 3 Tie Adv, 2 Firespray-31, 3 Lambda-Class Shuttle, 4 Tie Defender, 4 Tie Phantom, 2 VT-49 Decimator

Scum & Villany: 4 Most Wanted, 4 StarViper, 6 M3-A Interceptor, 2 IG-2000 (Pre-order)

#105 Radzap

Radzap

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:09 AM

Er whut? Falcon is a unique title. Can only have one per game. Now whenHan, Chewie, and Lando are flying together, only one can be in the Falcon, the others are in Weaponised/Militarised YT-1300 transports.

Then what's the hubub? It's a big galaxy, lots of dudes are walking around with names like Han, Lando, and Chewie. Some of them are pilots too. 

Imperial Ships:  5 Tie Fighters -- 5 Tie Interceptors -- 1 Tie Advanced -- 5 Tie Bomber -- 2 Firespray-31 -- 1 Lamba-Class Shuttle --   2 Defenders -- 1 Phantom

Rebel Scum: 3 X-Wing Fighters -- 1 Y-Wing Fighter -- 1 B-Wing Fighter -- 1 A-Wing Fighter -- 1 HWK-290 -- 1 YT-1300

#106 R2ShihTzu

R2ShihTzu

• Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:16 AM

Yeah, those dual YT lists are so overpowered they are dominating the tournament scene.

Oh wait...

They featured somewhat in the store championships, but the point is made.

However, the reality is that the Millenium Falcon is such an iconic ship that it was going to sell one, and precisely one, to the players unless it was "opened up" to more as the YT-1300. Of course, Epic Play adds an entirely new wrinkle. Double Falcon? Try TRIPLE FALCON with as many ORS as you can squeeze into 300 points.

#107 Forgottenlore

Forgottenlore

Midnight Dreary

• Members
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:58 AM

The titles for particular ships should be unique to stay consistent with Slave-1, Lamba 321, and the Crow. The actual upgraded build should be purchasable separately at a premium. So let's say you can field one Falcon and upgrade another YT to the same specs but for a few points more.

I'm not sure if the Falcon was an oversight or not, but I'm highly critical that it is not consistent with the other unique titles.

There is also the fact that we already have a non unique title for the interceptor.

Thanks, Troy

Once Upon a Midnight Dreary....

#108 Bilisknir

Bilisknir

• Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:01 AM

Then what's the hubub? It's a big galaxy, lots of dudes are walking around with names like Han, Lando, and Chewie. Some of them are pilots too. 

I was more commenting about the fact that the Falcon title is unique as far as I know. So how is it not consistent?

Bilisknir corrupt ver of Bilskirnir (Old Norse "lightning-crack"). The hall of the god Thor in Norse mythology.

Rebel: 8 X-Wing, 9 A-Wing, 4 Y-Wing, 8 B-Wing, 2 YT-1300, 2 HWK-290, 2 GR-75 Transport, 1 Corellian Corvette, 8 Z-95, 4 E-Wing, 3 YT-2400

Imperials: 9 Tie/ln, 10 Tie Int, 5 Tie Bomber, 3 Tie Adv, 2 Firespray-31, 3 Lambda-Class Shuttle, 4 Tie Defender, 4 Tie Phantom, 2 VT-49 Decimator

Scum & Villany: 4 Most Wanted, 4 StarViper, 6 M3-A Interceptor, 2 IG-2000 (Pre-order)

#109 Crabbok

Crabbok

The Doctor

• Members
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 12:12 PM

Yeah, no. Dual Falcon lists aren't imbalanced. Personally I think they pretty much suck... 6 Attack dice a turn? You can't reliably take out an X-wing that, and never a B-wing.
Game looks a bit like this against a 4 ship rebel build.
First turn of engagement, at range 3.
Falcons damage 1 ship.
1 Falcon is left with less than half it's total health left.
Next turn.
Falcons destroy a ship. Lightly damage another.
One of the Falcons dies.
Next turn
The remaing falcon damages another ship.
It takes massive damage.
Next turn
Falcon, if lucky kills another rebel ship before being destroyed.

So you expect for the player playing the falcons to keep them within the firing arc of all the other ships for three straight turns?  

That's silly fluff. There are tons of other YT's throughout the universe, most of which are better model numbers. But there are tons of YT1300s across the galaxy that have been modded.

Didn't say anything about other YTs

But in the Zahn books (which I consider to be the pinnacle of the EU) Han is shocked that the Noghri were even able to FIND another YT-1300 to turn into a fake falcon

It's a fake, I can't believe it - these guys actually dug up another working YT-1300 freighter somewhere

So even in the books they managed to get dual falcons together and you STILL have a problem with it?   Because it was rare?  

I dunno man you are entitled to your own opinion.  This is a game however, and part of the draw, is being able to come up with so many wild and daring combinations of lists.   I know in the films, Darth Vader NEVER had a dogfight with Ibtisam - or any B-Wing for that matter.  In fact it would be even rare than rare, it would be straight up impossible because he died.   Good thing we don't strictly play X-Wing to accurately re-create space battles.  

I mean we do that SOMETIMES, but sometimes we also just have fun.

#110 Aminar

Aminar

• Members
  • 3,098 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 12:16 PM

Yeah, no. Dual Falcon lists aren't imbalanced. Personally I think they pretty much suck... 6 Attack dice a turn? You can't reliably take out an X-wing that, and never a B-wing.
Game looks a bit like this against a 4 ship rebel build.
First turn of engagement, at range 3.
Falcons damage 1 ship.
1 Falcon is left with less than half it's total health left.
Next turn.
Falcons destroy a ship. Lightly damage another.
One of the Falcons dies.
Next turn
The remaing falcon damages another ship.
It takes massive damage.
Next turn
Falcon, if lucky kills another rebel ship before being destroyed.

So you expect for the player playing the falcons to keep them within the firing arc of all the other ships for three straight turns?  

That's silly fluff. There are tons of other YT's throughout the universe, most of which are better model numbers. But there are tons of YT1300s across the galaxy that have been modded.

Didn't say anything about other YTs

But in the Zahn books (which I consider to be the pinnacle of the EU) Han is shocked that the Noghri were even able to FIND another YT-1300 to turn into a fake falcon

It's a fake, I can't believe it - these guys actually dug up another working YT-1300 freighter somewhere

So even in the books they managed to get dual falcons together and you STILL have a problem with it?   Because it was rare?  

I dunno man you are entitled to your own opinion.  This is a game however, and part of the draw, is being able to come up with so many wild and daring combinations of lists.   I know in the films, Darth Vader NEVER had a dogfight with Ibtisam - or any B-Wing for that matter.  In fact it would be even rare than rare, it would be straight up impossible because he died.   Good thing we don't strictly play X-Wing to accurately re-create space battles.  

I mean we do that SOMETIMES, but sometimes we also just have fun.
I expect to be able to keep something that big in my firing arcs for three straight turns, yes. And by the second turn the falcon has already lost anyway.

#111 Lagomorphia

Lagomorphia

• Members
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 02:37 PM

Oh wait...

They featured somewhat in the store championships, but the point is made.

However, the reality is that the Millenium Falcon is such an iconic ship that it was going to sell one, and precisely one, to the players unless it was "opened up" to more as the YT-1300. Of course, Epic Play adds an entirely new wrinkle. Double Falcon? Try TRIPLE FALCON with as many ORS as you can squeeze into 300 points.

I'll enjoy watching them blown apart like glass ornaments by the CR-90 and its Imperial equivalent.

Edited by Lagomorphia, 15 May 2014 - 02:37 PM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS