Should FFG had made the Falcon unique?

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#81 Asgo

Asgo

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 12:01 AM

in a way it would have been better from fluff perspective, if more of the falcon strengths would have been bound to the tittle card - just shifting them from the pilots to the title with the respective point transfer, e.g. put some extra hull and shields on the title representing the falcon specific upgrades. Then there would be one distinctive falcon on the board and a different yt, even if it is also flown by one of the classic falcon pilots.

#82 Joostuh

Joostuh

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 12:04 AM

The rules are restricting enough as it is and you should be able to play anything you want inside these restrictions. Making up extra limitations for your opponent that have zero foundation in the rules and only in the fluff is being a nerdy elitist prick.

I was even considering spending 70 euro's (you know actual real world money, the stuff that keeps me and my GF healthy, fed, in an apartment and ultimately alive) for a custom 3D printed YT-2000+Bases and custom Cards because of this attitude.

You want to play Roark Garnett, Kyle Katarn and Jan Ors together with Han, Chewie and Lando? Do your thing! Can you use those experimental stats you made up for your own model you build? Absolutely! You want to try out this crazy scenario including Lando's Disco ball on a stick as the Deathstar? Let’s go!

Please whine less about this game we all play for fun.

• stegocent likes this

#83 Damoel

Damoel

• Members
  • 534 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 12:56 AM

While I think the last post is a little more aggressive then how I would phrase it, there are some good points. I'd rather the game exist as it is, less restricted, and then let us make additional rules and restrictions for our own play groups.

Magic is much like this, several popular formats have even been created and adopted by WOTC thanks to this. If your group wants the falcon to be unique, make it so. I like the idea of having Han and Lando fly together using super awesome customized YTs of their own.

Fleet timez!

Anarchists: 6 A-Wing, 6 B-Wing, 2 Y-Wing, 6 X-Wing, 3 Z-95, 3 E-Wing, 2 HWK290, 2 YT-1300, 2 GR-75, 1 CR90

Good Guys: 6 TIE/LN, 1 TIE/AD, 3 TIE/D, 6 TIE/IN, 4 TIE/SA, 4 Phantom V38, 2 Lambda Shuttle, 2 Firespray-31

#84 Breaking The Law

Breaking The Law

• Members
  • 515 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 02:15 AM

I put the Slave-1 upgrade on every firesprayin my list, but never equip torpedoes.

Edited by Breaking The Law, 15 May 2014 - 02:16 AM.

• Crabbok likes this

#85 oneway

oneway

Imperial Bomber Pilot

• Members
  • 2,776 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 03:15 AM

Yes I find it disturbing when R2-D2 is on anyone but Luke.. he wouldn't lend him out to most people.. 

That said, I think FFG should have made Han, Chewie and Lando Unique in that they could not fly together. but I also feel that they should have provided 2 or 3 extra generic YT cards that you could give upgrades to. make them versatile like the ship itself is. 

Give some YT upgrades for the build your own YT contest. I think that would have been awesome.

Even though the YT isn't the Falcon without the title card, the 3 named "Falcons" are really the same ship. they aren't 'mod'd up/supped up' ships.. they are the Falcon, because all you need is the title.. and, you never saw them all flying a YT at the same time either.. 

I like my idea about build your own YT I think that would have been a great thing to do and keep the flavor of a bad @$$ YT to boot.. How would you have made your YT.. huh.. huuuuuhh.. yeah.. 

Mine would have extra evade, Engine boot, better weapons, and shield upgrades well.. and not that it matters in the game.. but more cargo space, the additional units on top.. haha.. Rodent did a mod with it on .. it was sweet.

also, my cockpit would have been on the port side.. not a big fan of the center mount.

"I mean, come on kid, my armor's older than you are.."

"Hahaha. Very funny, at least I only hit the enemy target, Ya collateral bastard."

Corp. Haig Talin, MK - 472

Armor 18 - Fire - N - Ice 181st Mechanized Armor Assault Div

#86 Joostuh

Joostuh

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 03:29 AM

A modular/build your own 'YT-1300' would be very difficult to balance and very susceptible to min/maxing. Especially when you can add attack or defense dies.

• Breaking The Law and Aminar like this

#87 Rhinoviru3

Rhinoviru3

• Members
  • 464 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 03:38 AM

I think it should have been the other way around, that the four pilots included in the game were 1-2 generic and the remaining pilots being named, but only the one of them being Han (the other named pilots being Edge/EU characters) and have a collection of titles the box to up the stats in different ways.

I.E, Falcon title gave more shields+hull, Krayt Fang title for more damage...

Certainly would have been more fun and customisable!

Rebels: 4X, 2Y, 2B, 2A, 2Hwk, 2YT, 1GR-75, 2E, 4Z, 1x YT-2400,
(See my Rebels paint thread here!)

Empire: 5x TIE/ln, 3x TIE/sa, 4x TIE/Int, 1x TIE/A, 1x F-31, 1x Lambda, 3x TIE/Pha, 1x TIE/D
(And my Imperial paint thread here!)

#88 Osoroshii

Osoroshii

龍神

• Members
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 04:49 AM

I love slow news week threads :)
  • Slugrage likes this

#89 stegocent

stegocent

• Members
  • 623 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 04:55 AM

I admittedly haven't studied the EU extensively, but this game was the first I ever heard of YT-1300 being considered "common", and I consider that one of the big screw ups FFG is making since making the ship common greatly diminishes the cool factor of the falcon. I see it as an obnoxious bit of fan service by bad EU writers to appeal to fans who want a falcon of their very own.Anyway, not really relevant. It is unlikely that Disney, Lucasfilm or FFG is going to consult me on the direction the universes fluff should go.Moderately on topic. Does it feel to anyone else like the concept of modification upgrades was a late edition to the game? I have often wished that there was a modification icon in the upgrade bar for ships, then the falcon (and the hawk and firespray) could have potentially had more of them, meaning the falcon could have had a lot of special modifications.

They could ahve done that if they wanted, given that mods debuted with wave 2. All they would have to do is say all ships have one, any past the first are on the card. But really, does the Falcon need any help? Or more ways to spend points on it?Beyond that, the EU making YT's rare would be much dumber than making them common. What kind of smuggler uses a one of a kind ship? That's asking to get boarded every time somebody walks by. Smugglers pick ugly, common vehicles and mod them into something functional so they blend in. The Falcon is useful specifically because it isn't special.

You hit the nail on the head with that comment mate

Now who dragged up this silly old QQ thread.......

Empire: 7 Tie/In, 2 Tie Advanced, 2 Tie/Int, 2 Imperial Aces  4 Tie/B, 2 Firespray-31, 3 Lambda

Rebel: 6 X-Wing, 2 Y-Wing, 2 A-Wing, 4 B-wing, 1 Yt-1300, 2 HWK-290, 2 GR-75, 1 CR-90

#90 stegocent

stegocent

• Members
  • 623 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:16 AM

So many of you seem to forget what makes the falcon special, its not the guns, stronger hull or extra sheilds.
It's her engines. More specifically her evasiveness. Hence the title card!

Now that this is cleared up can we move on?

Empire: 7 Tie/In, 2 Tie Advanced, 2 Tie/Int, 2 Imperial Aces  4 Tie/B, 2 Firespray-31, 3 Lambda

Rebel: 6 X-Wing, 2 Y-Wing, 2 A-Wing, 4 B-wing, 1 Yt-1300, 2 HWK-290, 2 GR-75, 1 CR-90

#91 Bilisknir

Bilisknir

• Members
  • 605 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:20 AM

Yes I find it disturbing when R2-D2 is on anyone but Luke.. he wouldn't lend him out to most people.. 

That said, I think FFG should have made Han, Chewie and Lando Unique in that they could not fly together. but I also feel that they should have provided 2 or 3 extra generic YT cards that you could give upgrades to. make them versatile like the ship itself is. 

Give some YT upgrades for the build your own YT contest. I think that would have been awesome.

Even though the YT isn't the Falcon without the title card, the 3 named "Falcons" are really the same ship. they aren't 'mod'd up/supped up' ships.. they are the Falcon, because all you need is the title.. and, you never saw them all flying a YT at the same time either.. 

For that matter Biggs, Jek, Hobbie, Porkins and others all died in the Battle of Yavin so how can they fly with B-wings?

• Aminar and Crabbok like this

Bilisknir corrupt ver of Bilskirnir (Old Norse "lightning-crack"). The hall of the god Thor in Norse mythology.

Rebel: 8 X-Wing, 9 A-Wing, 4 Y-Wing, 8 B-Wing, 2 YT-1300, 2 HWK-290, 2 GR-75 Transport, 1 Corellian Corvette, 8 Z-95, 4 E-Wing, 2 YT-2400

Imperials: 9 Tie/ln, 10 Tie Int, 5 Tie Bomber, 3 Tie Adv, 2 Firespray-31, 3 Lambda-Class Shuttle, 4 Tie Defender, 4 Tie Phantom, 2 VT-49 Decimator

Scum & Villany: 4 Most Wanted, 4 StarViper, 6 M3-A Interceptor, 2 IG-2000 (Pre-order)

#92 bill257

bill257

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:32 AM

Now that epic format has been detailed I plan on creating an 8 YT-1300 list.

Edited by bill257, 15 May 2014 - 07:32 AM.

• stegocent and Crabbok like this

#93 Aminar

Aminar

• Members
  • 3,110 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:34 AM

You only get 6. And three of them suck. :P

#94 bill257

bill257

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:45 AM

You only get 6. And three of them suck. :P

Oh shoot, I forgot about that restriction. Argh, I guess they will be loaded up or supplemented by something strategic.

#95 markcsoul

markcsoul

• Members
  • 882 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:45 AM

ROOKIE PILOT: Gee Commander Skywalker, you sure are great!  Do ya think I could take your R2 unit out on my first combat mission?

LUKE SKYWALKER: Sure, no problem! What could go wrong?

• stegocent likes this

REBEL: 1 A-Wing, 1 B-Wing, 1 E-Wing, 3 X-Wings, 1 Y-Wing, 1 Z-95, 1 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300, 1 GR-75

IMPERIAL: 1 Advanced, 1 Bomber, 2 Defenders, 3 Fighters, 3 Interceptors, 1 Phantom, 2 Firesprays, 1 Shuttle

SCUM: TBD

#96 dandirk

dandirk

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 08:00 AM

Since they haven't really done anything similar with other ships (pilot cards have different stats), one can only assume they found something in play testing that made ORS overpowered (or I suppose other pilots under powered).  With a 15 (27->42) pt gap not sure why they didn't just bump pt cost of ORS and kept the stats...  maybe then it was over-costed.

Could also be a test to see how the player base would react to differing stats based on pilots?

As for the han, lando, chewie flying different "Falcons" or YTs...  Sorry imo you are going a bit to far, there is thematic and there is just anal.  

My opinion is they already are making stuff up as they go along which is starting to get complex, so just go with it.  At least they didn't have some random pilot that once valet parked the ship in some book.

Seems like every release has a custom upgrade which none of the previous ships had or can use etc.   Now "fix" cards are coming out swapping or adding upgrade types.  Modifications was good cause all ships can use them...  Missile vs torpedos is an example of hard cap balancing.  Also don't really understand the fact the rebels have Astomechs and Imperials have nothing similar (haven't done the math if lack of options are costed).

I will be the first to admit they are doing probably the best job I have ever seen with balancing in such a complex structure at the same time... yet some times I wonder how much of that is the dice?

Edited by dandirk, 15 May 2014 - 08:03 AM.

• stegocent likes this

#97 Stone37

Stone37

• Members
  • 886 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 08:11 AM

No.

This short answer provided to you by the letter X and the number 1337.  Also, funding for this answer was provided, in part, by the Foundation of Short Answers.

:D

Seriously though, 100 points worth of YTs does not equal and unbeatable juggernaut.  Heck, I beat a two YT list with my 4 PtL Guards the other day.

#98 Joostuh

Joostuh

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:07 AM

Also don't really understand the fact the rebels have Astomechs and Imperials have nothing similar (haven't done the math if lack of options are costed)

EPT on generics vs Astromechs

Bombs vs Turrets

Systems go both ways

Edited by Joostuh, 15 May 2014 - 09:10 AM.

#99 Aminar

Aminar

• Members
  • 3,110 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:12 AM

Also don't really understand the fact the rebels have Astomechs and Imperials have nothing similar (haven't done the math if lack of options are costed)

EPT on generics vs Astromechs
Bombs vs Turrets
There doesn't need to be a mechanic for everything. Both sides have a lot of unique options. The empire has more large base ships, more ships that make good use of crew, more ships with good positioning abilities, etc...
Rebels have turrets, Astromechs, more unique upgrades, More shielded ships, a higher average ship cost, etc...
Both sides are pretty balanced, although Imperials have gotten shafted a little in that Bombers, Advanceds, and Interceptors are harder to run in highly competitive environments. They still have the best list in the game with the Tie-Swarm though, and arguably the two most efficient ships in the game with the Tie-Fighter and the Firespray.

#100 Lagomorphia

Lagomorphia

• Validating
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:13 AM

I can't imagine FFG would ever create a model/figure that restricted you from playing more than 1 of it, that's just bad business as that would mean that players would only ever buy 1 of it.

As thematically relevant as your argument is I cant see them doing it, that's what the ship title cards are for, even if in this case the particular model of the Millennium Falcon is unique.

Simply a case of Function winning out over Form.

ORS is still non-unique. The OP's just saying Han, Chewie and Lando should be mutually exclusive the same way Vaderfighter and Vadercrew are.

• oneway likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS