Should FFG had made the Falcon unique?

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#61 CrookedWookie

CrookedWookie

• Members
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 01:03 PM

No, it was oh whatsisname, Parravon who said he would make his displeasure known if his opponent had the gall to legally field Han and Chewie at the same time.   :P

FWIW I'm in the camp with you that believes that if it looks like a duck and smells like a duck, it's probably the Millennium Falcon.   :D   The ORS is pretty clearly the stock light freighter, and title or no, Han, Lando, and Chewie are all pretty clearly flying what is intended to be the Falcon.

What will really blow your mind is the fact that you can take an ORS and slap the Falcon title on that.   :blink:

• oneway, NotBatman, DR4CO and 1 other like this

#62 Crabbok

Crabbok

The Doctor

• Members
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 01:23 PM

So lemme get this straight..... 

some of you haters out there honestly believe that if Han Solo somehow lost the Falcon (Maybe it got exploded in an epic battle), and was able to win a stock YT-1300 in a game of Sabbacc, that he would just leave it with default specs?    You honestly are expecting him NOT to modify it?    You think Chewie would leave his goggles and arc-welder in the closet?   You think Lando would refuse to hang up his disco ball and bust open some malt liquor?  

Hutts please...

• stegocent and AdmiralThrawn like this

#63 allistorpreist

allistorpreist

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:37 PM

What if, in my dual YT-1300 list, I have Chewbacca flying the Falcon, but I have Lando flying the COLT 45?  

It works, every time.

#64 Aminar

Aminar

• Members
  • 3,098 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:02 PM

Yeah, no. Dual Falcon lists aren't imbalanced. Personally I think they pretty much suck... 6 Attack dice a turn? You can't reliably take out an X-wing that, and never a B-wing.
Game looks a bit like this against a 4 ship rebel build.
First turn of engagement, at range 3.
Falcons damage 1 ship.
1 Falcon is left with less than half it's total health left.
Next turn.
Falcons destroy a ship. Lightly damage another.
One of the Falcons dies.
Next turn
The remaing falcon damages another ship.
It takes massive damage.
Next turn
Falcon, if lucky kills another rebel ship before being destroyed.

#65 Osoroshii

Osoroshii

龍神

• Members
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:55 PM

So the same people upset about Chewie and Han flying 2 YT-1300's, does it bother you that Luke can fly an X-Wing without R2-D2?

#66 Aminar

Aminar

• Members
  • 3,098 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:01 PM

So the same people upset about Chewie and Han flying 2 YT-1300's, does it bother you that Luke can fly an X-Wing without R2-D2?

Or that R2 can go into Dutch's Y-wing?

#67 Osoroshii

Osoroshii

龍神

• Members
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:57 PM

Or that R2 can go into Dutch's Y-wing?

That's blasphemy who would do such! :P

#68 BojambaMcMamba

BojambaMcMamba

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:21 PM

I think to continue that analogy would be making R2-D2 non-unique and then slapping him on 2 ships in the same squad. You could argue that it's the same model astromechs and has the same effect, but that kind of cheapens the fondness most of us have for "the" R2-D2. Same thing for Han and Chewie both flying what are clearly "falcons". If the Millennium Falcon was (one of a few identical) fastest hunks of junk in the galaxy, the fluff doesn't feel quite right.

That being said, I think it's a better design to put "falcon" stats right on the Han card instead of making a 10pt title that gives an evade, 2 shields and 3 hull (similar to the combat retrofit on the GR-75)

If you want to fly Chewie and Lando together, it won't bother me. Of course, I think that's twice as boring as flying one of them is. But I guess if you like flying them...

#69 Breaking The Law

Breaking The Law

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:34 PM

Snorted tea out of my nose at that

"You think Lando would refuse to hang up his disco ball and bust open some malt liquor?" 

Edited by Breaking The Law, 14 May 2014 - 09:37 PM.

• Syleh Forge and Crabbok like this

#70 Forgottenlore

Forgottenlore

Midnight Dreary

• Members
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:35 PM

If the Millennium Falcon was (one of a few identical) fastest hunks of junk in the galaxy, the fluff doesn't feel quite right.

The fluff that I'm familiar with was that the YT-1300 was an extremely old model ship that was so outdated that even finding one other than the falcon was difficult, so I get a little annoyed at 2 of the things showing up at the same time no matter what else is going on.

Thanks, Troy

Once Upon a Midnight Dreary....

#71 Aminar

Aminar

• Members
  • 3,098 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:37 PM

If the Millennium Falcon was (one of a few identical) fastest hunks of junk in the galaxy, the fluff doesn't feel quite right.

The fluff that I'm familiar with was that the YT-1300 was an extremely old model ship that was so outdated that even finding one other than the falcon was difficult, so I get a little annoyed at 2 of the things showing up at the same time no matter what else is going on.
That's silly fluff. There are tons of other YT's throughout the universe, most of which are better model numbers. But there are tons of YT1300s across the galaxy that have been modded.

#72 Forgottenlore

Forgottenlore

Midnight Dreary

• Members
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:56 PM

That's silly fluff. There are tons of other YT's throughout the universe, most of which are better model numbers. But there are tons of YT1300s across the galaxy that have been modded.

Didn't say anything about other YTs

But in the Zahn books (which I consider to be the pinnacle of the EU) Han is shocked that the Noghri were even able to FIND another YT-1300 to turn into a fake falcon

It's a fake, I can't believe it - these guys actually dug up another working YT-1300 freighter somewhere

• NotBatman likes this

Thanks, Troy

#73 Gullwind

Gullwind

• Members
  • 622 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:56 PM

There's a line in Heir to the Empire where the Noghri use a decoy YT-1300 to try to capture Leia, and Han expresses amazement that "they actually dug up another working YT-1300". Its always bothered me a bit because it really goes against the established fluff. One of the few mistakes that Zahn made in that trilogy.

ETA: Sigh. Ninja'd

Edited by Gullwind, 14 May 2014 - 09:57 PM.

#74 Aminar

Aminar

• Members
  • 3,098 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:58 PM

Didn't say anything about other YTs

But in the Zahn books (which I consider to be the pinnacle of the EU) Han is shocked that the Noghri were even able to FIND another YT-1300 to turn into a fake falcon

It's a fake, I can't believe it - these guys actually dug up another working YT-1300 freighter somewhere

I took that as an effort thing rather than a commonality thing. Other fluff has talked about the popularity of the YT 1300 among smugglers due to its ease of modification and the space it has for hidden compartments.(My source book as a kid... Really got dig that thing up...)
  • stegocent likes this

#75 Skargoth

Skargoth

• Members
  • 653 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:05 PM

I'm sorry Duraham, but it's always Rebel complaining with you.  <_<

You don't need to strip your miniatures, painting over is fine. No, there should not be a fourth faction, three is the magic number for countering flavor lists and to break up faction distribution. Someone else has likely thought up and posted your amazing new build, so you don't need to stroke your ego when reposting it. The prequels sucked and so would a game based on it. YES, there should be a Custom Forum for terrain and repaints! Moving on...

#76 Forgottenlore

Forgottenlore

Midnight Dreary

• Members
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:07 PM

I admittedly haven't studied the EU extensively, but this game was the first I ever heard of YT-1300 being considered "common", and I consider that one of the big screw ups FFG is making since making the ship common greatly diminishes the cool factor of the falcon. I see it as an obnoxious bit of fan service by bad EU writers to appeal to fans who want a falcon of their very own.

Anyway, not really relevant. It is unlikely that Disney, Lucasfilm or FFG is going to consult me on the direction the universes fluff should go.

Moderately on topic. Does it feel to anyone else like the concept of modification upgrades was a late edition to the game? I have often wished that there was a modification icon in the upgrade bar for ships, then the falcon (and the hawk and firespray) could have potentially had more of them, meaning the falcon could have had a lot of special modifications.

Thanks, Troy

#77 Aminar

Aminar

• Members
  • 3,098 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:23 PM

I admittedly haven't studied the EU extensively, but this game was the first I ever heard of YT-1300 being considered "common", and I consider that one of the big screw ups FFG is making since making the ship common greatly diminishes the cool factor of the falcon. I see it as an obnoxious bit of fan service by bad EU writers to appeal to fans who want a falcon of their very own.

Anyway, not really relevant. It is unlikely that Disney, Lucasfilm or FFG is going to consult me on the direction the universes fluff should go.

Moderately on topic. Does it feel to anyone else like the concept of modification upgrades was a late edition to the game? I have often wished that there was a modification icon in the upgrade bar for ships, then the falcon (and the hawk and firespray) could have potentially had more of them, meaning the falcon could have had a lot of special modifications.

They could ahve done that if they wanted, given that mods debuted with wave 2. All they would have to do is say all ships have one, any past the first are on the card. But really, does the Falcon need any help? Or more ways to spend points on it?
Beyond that, the EU making YT's rare would be much dumber than making them common. What kind of smuggler uses a one of a kind ship? That's asking to get boarded every time somebody walks by. Smugglers pick ugly, common vehicles and mod them into something functional so they blend in. The Falcon is useful specifically because it isn't special.

Edited by Aminar, 14 May 2014 - 10:26 PM.

• stegocent and Breaking The Law like this

#78 Forgottenlore

Forgottenlore

Midnight Dreary

• Members
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:41 PM

But really, does the Falcon need any help? Or more ways to spend points on it?

The assumption is that, if they had gone that route, then the base stats for the falcon would have been worse and it would have been cheaper, allowing you to modify it the way YOU wanted.

Beyond that, the EU making YT's rare would be much dumber than making them common. What kind of smuggler uses a one of a kind ship? That's asking to get boarded every time somebody walks by. Smugglers pick ugly, common vehicles and mod them into something functional so they blend in. The Falcon is useful specifically because it isn't special.

That's a good point. I have always viewed the SW universe as so vast and complicated that out on the fringe no one would really have any idea what kind of ship was what. That the falcon blended in because there were so many different types of ships that no one who didn't have a reason to study that particular ship, would have any idea what its make and model were. Kinda like you would need to be a serious historian of real world tramp steamers to be able to identify a particular manufacturer's boat by sight.

Thanks, Troy

#79 Damoel

Damoel

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:49 PM

Also remember the Star Wars scope is fairly huge. Like massive. I wont guess how many planets/peoples exist, nor the number of ship models, but the comment about digging up one may have been more about the effort of finding one available/making one available.

Fleet timez!

Anarchists: 3 A-Wing, 3 B-Wing, 2 Y-Wing, 6 X-Wing, 3 Z-95, 3 E-Wing, 2 HWK290, 2 YT-1300, 2 GR-75, 1 CR90

Good Guys: 6 TIE/LN, 1 TIE/AD, 3 TIE/D, 6 TIE/IN, 4 TIE/SA, 4 Phantom V38, 2 Lambda Shuttle, 2 Firespray-31

#80 Aminar

Aminar

• Members
  • 3,098 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 11:07 PM

But really, does the Falcon need any help? Or more ways to spend points on it?

The assumption is that, if they had gone that route, then the base stats for the falcon would have been worse and it would have been cheaper, allowing you to modify it the way YOU wanted.

That's a good point. I have always viewed the SW universe as so vast and complicated that out on the fringe no one would really have any idea what kind of ship was what. That the falcon blended in because there were so many different types of ships that no one who didn't have a reason to study that particular ship, would have any idea what its make and model were. Kinda like you would need to be a serious historian of real world tramp steamers to be able to identify a particular manufacturer's boat by sight.
Yeah but imagine the size of their memorybanks, paired with scanners. And the whole Corellian ships are the best nonsense... Either way, no sane criminal takes a one of a kind ship as their camoflauge.(Not that you're disagreeing...)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS