Should FFG had made the Falcon unique?

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#41 Parravon

Parravon

• Members
  • 784 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 05:06 PM

If I was playing against someone who put down Han AND Chewie or Lando at the same time, I wouldn't be too impressed. It's allowed within the game structure, but stills smells bad to me. I know that technically I can't stop an opponent from playing them together, but I would still make sure my opponent knows that it's dodgy in my book. It's undeniable that they're at the controls of the same ship.

Rick

Hastings, New Zealand

#42 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 05:06 PM

Okay from a fluff perspective, we all know that the YT-1300 that Chewy flew was the falcon and the YT-1300 that Lando flew was also the falcon.  And there is only one falcon.  But the needed alternate pilots for the ship.  If the only pilot we had heard of flying the YT-1300  was Han Solo and then the other two were obscure EU characters who though they did fly YT-1300, did not fly the falcon, that would be lame.  I like having Chewbacca and Lando as the named pilots.  I actually think that making the name the title was a stroke of genius.  Yes they all flew the falcon and they all can fly the falcon, and you can only have one falcon.  It just fits with the how the rest of the game is played.

Complaining about the fact that the actual YT-1300 that all three pilots were the same ship, is a little a kin to saying that Backstabber died before TIE Interceptors were even put into production, therefore you shouldn't be allowed to have Backstabber in the same list as a TIE Interceptor.  Or Biggs in the same list as a A-wing or B-wing.  Anytime you play a game like this a little bit of story purity is put aside.

If you want to only play historically (I use this word loosely) battles you can, but I don't think it should be requirement of the game.

Putting an end to this distructive conflict and bringing order to the galaxy.

#43 Forgottenlore

Forgottenlore

Midnight Dreary

• Members
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 05:14 PM

Reading through this thread today, it occurred to me that it would have been REALLY cool if they had, as has been suggested, made the stock stats standard for all 4 pilots, but instead of a falcon title to bring all it's stats up, include several titles, all named "Millennium Falcon", that all did radically different things to represent the ship in various stages of modification throughout its life.
  • Osoroshii, oneway and DR4CO like this

Thanks, Troy

Once Upon a Midnight Dreary....

#44 CrookedWookie

CrookedWookie

• Members
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 05:19 PM

If I was playing against someone who put down Han AND Chewie or Lando at the same time, I wouldn't be too impressed. It's allowed within the game structure, but stills smells bad to me. I know that technically I can't stop an opponent from playing them together, but I would still make sure my opponent knows that it's dodgy in my book. It's undeniable that they're at the controls of the same ship.

This is, no offense, an extremely silly argument.

The fact that it bothers you fluff-wise has absolutely nothing to do with the game mechanics or competition-legality of the build.  You don't really have any place "making sure [your] opponent knows its dodgy in your book."  Your book is completely irrelevant to the rules of the game.

Not only can you "technically" can't stop an opponent from playing them together, you can't stop him from doing so in any way, shape, or form, so it's sort of pointless to express to him how disapproving you are with regards to his flaunting of story fluff despite the fact he's, you know, completely within his rights to run Han and Chewie together if he wants.   ;)

• Rakky Wistol, DR4CO, LukesFather and 1 other like this

#45 CrookedWookie

CrookedWookie

• Members
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 05:20 PM

Reading through this thread today, it occurred to me that it would have been REALLY cool if they had, as has been suggested, made the stock stats standard for all 4 pilots, but instead of a falcon title to bring all it's stats up, include several titles, all named "Millennium Falcon", that all did radically different things to represent the ship in various stages of modification throughout its life.

It's an interesting idea, but I'm not sure how well the idea of a 15 point title that grants half a dozen stat changes or ability additions would fly.  The way they did it was the simplest way of doing it.

#46 Parravon

Parravon

• Members
  • 784 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 06:39 PM

The fact that it bothers you fluff-wise has absolutely nothing to do with the game mechanics or competition-legality of the build.  You don't really have any place "making sure [your] opponent knows its dodgy in your book."  Your book is completely irrelevant to the rules of the game.

Not only can you "technically" can't stop an opponent from playing them together, you can't stop him from doing so in any way, shape, or form, so it's sort of pointless to express to him how disapproving you are with regards to his flaunting of story fluff despite the fact he's, you know, completely within his rights to run Han and Chewie together if he wants.   ;)

I'm fully entitled to let an opponent know what I think of a list that includes something that I find dodgy, even if it is legal. And to say my opinion is irrelevant is to deny my freedom of speech. However, I am glad you headed up your post by saying you weren't trying to offend and that the following was going to be an extremely silly argument.  :P

Rick

Hastings, New Zealand

#47 Effenhoog

Effenhoog

• Members
  • 500 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 07:17 PM

There are a variety of things i would have done differently about the Falcon, but making it unique is not one of them.  Aside from the actual title, which is already unique

#48 CrookedWookie

CrookedWookie

• Members
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:03 PM

I'm fully entitled to let an opponent know what I think of a list that includes something that I find dodgy, even if it is legal. And to say my opinion is irrelevant is to deny my freedom of speech. However, I am glad you headed up your post by saying you weren't trying to offend and that the following was going to be an extremely silly argument.  :P

Freedom of speech doesn't mean what you think it means.  The government censoring you isn't the same as a license to be rude to someone for fielding a legal list you don't like.   ;)

• NotBatman, Breaking The Law, gentgeen and 4 others like this

#49 JeremyBarnhill

JeremyBarnhill

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:49 PM

You could let me know all you wanted that it was shady "in your book", then I would tell you your book doesn't matter cause it legal by the rule book.

It's a game, get over it.
  • dojimaster, CrookedWookie, gentgeen and 2 others like this

#50 Rakky Wistol

Rakky Wistol

• Members
  • 2,302 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 12:29 AM

Let silliness ring... err... freedom. Yes, freedom. So your freedom of speech trumps their freedom of expression? Their property rights? Pretty sure the only time your rights are limited is when they infringe on the rights of others.
  • Joostuh likes this

#51 stegocent

stegocent

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 03:50 AM

I do NOT agree that Han, Chewi and lando are in a falcon each, an upgraded YT 1300 sure but not the falcon. It seems to me that some of you guys need to go back and watch star wars.
What makes the falcon the Millennium Falcon is not its guns armour or shields, its her engines!! That is what makers her so special, hence the title card.
  • SentinelNZ likes this

Empire: 7 Tie/In, 2 Tie Advanced, 2 Tie/Int, 2 Imperial Aces  4 Tie/B, 2 Firespray-31, 3 Lambda

Rebel: 6 X-Wing, 2 Y-Wing, 2 A-Wing, 4 B-wing, 1 Yt-1300, 2 HWK-290, 2 GR-75, 1 CR-90

#52 SentinelNZ

SentinelNZ

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:57 AM

The way I prefer to look at it is that the Han, Lando and Chewie YT-1300's are all stock standard.  Adding the Millennium Falcon title card represents the "special modifications" Han made, whereas the ORS is a stripped down YT-1300 which sacrifices power and upgrades (or even just standard equipment) in exchange for additional cargo capacity for smuggling.

Gameplay-wise though I'm happy for my opponent to field anything he likes within the confines of the rules.  Besides, they did make the Millennium Falcon unique, you may only field one title card with that name.  So I don't really see a problem at all.  Just my two cents.

Rebel Alliance: 8 X-Wings, 6 Y-Wings, 6 A-Wings, 4 YT 1300's, 6 B-Wings, 4 HWK 290's.
Galactic Empire: 14 TIE Fighters, 4 TIE Advanced, 14 TIE Interceptors (Including 3 sets of Imperial Aces), 4 Firepray-31's, 6 TIE Bombers, 4 Lambda Shuttles.

#53 LukesFather

LukesFather

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:13 AM

this game is a strategy game, NOT an RPG game.  It takes ships and characters for the movies and EU.  BUT not as an RPG game. 

Looks like the problem is that half the community sees it as an RPG and not a Strat-E-G game and vise versa.

I have played against han bacca and Lando Solo's, and you know what I shot at them and played the game.  I have not flown them out of preference, but I have load outs for them if I do want to fly them.

The only pilot I HATE (due to playing against him alot lately) is Wedge.  BUT he is, as all ships are, beatable. 

But I play the GAME not the RPG.

So ends the Rant -

In the name of the LukesFather

the Son

and the wrinkly Emperor

• Hrathen, Bohrdumb, dmiitrie and 1 other like this

Rebels -  3 A wing - 5 B wing - 2 E wing - 2 HWK - - 5 Xwing - 2 YT-1300 - 2 Y wing - 3 Z95
Imperials - 6 Tie/F - 1 Adv/T - 2 Firespray - 3 Tie/I - 1 Aces - 2 Lambda - 3 TIE/B - 2 Tie/P - 2 Tie/D

EPIC - GR-75

Custom - 1 YV-545 (yt1300 conversion)

#54 Galactic Funk

Galactic Funk

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:45 AM

This is a game. It should be about having fun. If you call someone out for running a Han YT-1300 and a Chewie YT-1300 together that is nothing but a foul attitude and really has no place in this game.

Intentionally showing a bad attitude (or in any way letting your disdain be known) towards someone who is using a list that you happen to not like is straight up poor sportsmanship.

I'm glad I don't have to deal with attitudes like that in my local playgroup.
  • oneway, CrookedWookie, SentinelNZ and 5 others like this

#55 Bohrdumb

Bohrdumb

• Members
  • 631 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:53 AM

this game is a strategy game, NOT an RPG game.  It takes ships and characters for the movies and EU.  BUT not as an RPG game. 

Looks like the problem is that half the community sees it as an RPG and not a Strat-E-G game and vise versa.

I have played against han bacca and Lando Solo's, and you know what I shot at them and played the game.  I have not flown them out of preference, but I have load outs for them if I do want to fly them.

The only pilot I HATE (due to playing against him alot lately) is Wedge.  BUT he is, as all ships are, beatable. 

But I play the GAME not the RPG.

So ends the Rant -

In the name of the LukesFather

the Son

and the wrinkly Emperor

This is the internet, stop making sense!

• LukesFather likes this

5 X, 3 B, 2 A, 2 Y, 1 Hwk, 2 Es, 2 Zs

6 TIE, 2 TIE B. 2 Ints, 1 Adv, 1 Defender, 2 Phantoms

#56 Crabbok

Crabbok

• Members
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:55 AM

What if, in my dual YT-1300 list, I have Chewbacca flying the Falcon, but I have Lando flying the COLT 45?

049783F0-8A21-4553-9E54-146A1ADD42F9_1.j

Then you can't say they are flying the same ship at all... Lando's is obviously black.    The fact that it has 3 attack dice is just a coincidence.  

• Johdo and LukesFather like this

#57 CrookedWookie

CrookedWookie

• Members
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:23 AM

Why's Lando's ship gotta be black?   :angry: 

• Osoroshii, Breaking The Law and Crabbok like this

#58 Duraham

Duraham

• Members
  • 743 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:24 AM

Why's Lando's ship gotta be black?   :angry: 

at least its not called the Slave I

EDIT: ok, maybe that joke wasnt that good in hindsight....

Edited by Duraham, 04 March 2014 - 10:25 AM.

#59 CrookedWookie

CrookedWookie

• Members
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:03 AM

Maaaaaaybe a step too far, yeah.   :huh:

#60 oneway

oneway

• Members
  • 1,897 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 12:13 PM

Personally I never said ... I ..... would make any beef is someone ran Han and Chewie, I just stated that all 3 are flying the falcon.. regardless of the title card... not as an RPG, this is a strategy... I just stated a fact, whether someone here agrees with me or not, isnt important or a factor in how much I enjoy the game.

FFG has made the falcon, an iconic ship, with 3 pilots that have flown her. Then they gave us the Stock YT. Just because they gave a card that adds an evade action, and names the ship, doesn't detract from the fact that all three are flying that same ship. When you look at the facts, you only see them flying that ship in the movies, except for the shuttle in ep VI... the reason they all have the same stats is so all you have to do to make them 'fly the falcon' is add the title card. It's delusional to think otherwise really... no matter if you fly Han, with or without the title card.. the YT he flys is.... the falcon... it's his ship..

but it's just a game .. do what you want... I dont care..

"I mean, come on kid, my armor's older than you are.."

Corp. Haig Talin, MK - 472

Armor 18 - Fire - N - Ice

181st Mechanized Armor Assault Div

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS