• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 hencook

hencook

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:28 AM

Skulduggery versus Computers
When would you ever make a skulduggery check for locks? The only examples I can think of from the trilogy are purely non-computerized chainlink cuffs (The restraints that held Anakin in Attack of the Clones, and the restraints that held Leia in RotJ). Would you ever make a skulduggery for a storage crate or for a door? The only time I can think of is within a primitive civilization.

Streetwise versus Knowledge, Underworld.
Can you name all the specific cases where you could only use streetwise and not knowledge underworld, or vice versa?
For instance, even though Streetwise lets you know how to find a black market dealer in the area, wouldn't Knowledge do essentially the same thing, by knowing of a black market dealer in the area?

#2 Desslok

Desslok

• Members
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:35 AM

When would you ever make a skulduggery check for locks?

I'd use it if you were trying to be subtle and discrete instead of using brute force.

Would you ever make a skulduggery for a storage crate or for a door?

If you were trying to open the crate without the client knowing that you had peeked at his goods, for one.

Can you name all the specific cases where you could only use streetwise and not knowledge underworld, or vice versa?

It's information about the underworld source versus how to utilize that resource -

Underworld: Jabba is a bad dude, has a Rancor under his throne and has a weakness for mint ice cream.

Streetwise: Jabba's contact in Mos Eisley is Bob the Henchman and here's how you get ahold of him.

Edited by Desslok, 01 March 2014 - 10:40 AM.

• Brother Orpheo, themensch and jerrypocalypse like this

#3 whafrog

whafrog

• Members
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 11:23 AM

For instance, even though Streetwise lets you know how to find a black market dealer in the area, wouldn't Knowledge do essentially the same thing, by knowing of a black market dealer in the area?

I view Knowledge skills as "macro", and the others as "micro".  Streetwise lets you look around in your current environment and say "See that guy over there, trying to act casual?  That tattoo on his neck and those 'stylish' braids suggest he's a local gang member.  I bet he can put us in touch with someone who can unload our extra 'inventory'."  Streetwise might also help talking to the person in a way they can understand.

Knowledge might let you know who the power is in these parts, and maybe even what the tattoo stands for, but wouldn't help you make decisions in a street situation person-to-person (unless that information comes into the conversation of course).

Another good Streetwise use was suggested in a recent SkillMonkey podcast, where, if you didn't feel like cooking, you could use Streetwise to order out :)

• progressions likes this

#4 Ahrimon

Ahrimon

• Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:03 PM

Skulldudgery on locks is to bypass them the physical way.  Whether it's by picking a mechancal lock or hotwiring an elecrical.  Slicing would be jacking in and bypassing the software.  That's how I've looked at it anyway.

• Krieger22 and cvtheoman like this

#5 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,896 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:12 PM

Skulduggery versus Computers
When would you ever make a skulduggery check for locks? The only examples I can think of from the trilogy are purely non-computerized chainlink cuffs (The restraints that held Anakin in Attack of the Clones, and the restraints that held Leia in RotJ). Would you ever make a skulduggery for a storage crate or for a door? The only time I can think of is within a primitive civilization.

If you watch the movie Escape Plan, you'll see Sly peel back a thin film of plastic from a milk carton and place it over a keypad. The film collected fingermarks of which keys had been pushed. He used this to greatly narrow down the possible code combinations. This would be using Skulduggery to overcome a keypad lock.

• progressions likes this

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#6 progressions

progressions

• Members
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:29 PM

Yes, if I had a PC who had ranks in Skulduggery, I'd let them use that to attempt to open most types of locks, even electronic ones. A PC with Computers could use that as well.

I might rule that either one would require the appropriate tools. Only in certain cases where a lock was specifically designed to be computer-based only would I refuse the Skulduggery approach.

Most of this would be based on knowing which skills my party members have. If I knew I have a pickpocketing lockpick in the party but I made a certain lock Computers-only for the slicer in the group to bypass, there could be other options for the pickpocket. Maybe he could use Skulduggery to pickpocket an access card from a negligent guard.

EOTE Styles and Dice Symbols for Obsidian Portal

Our group's EOTE Obsidian Portal: Explorers on the Edge

#7 Krieger22

Krieger22

• Members
  • 697 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:30 PM

I use Skulduggery as the defauly go-to skill when it comes to opening locked doors. To give movie examples, when Han tries to open the blast door on the Endor bunker (and rolls Despair), or in Aliens, when one of the marines rewires the entrance door to the colony when they first arrive.

I'd use Computers only when dealing with very sophisticated, computerized locks. To go with the movie example, the hacker dealing with the locks on the vault in the Nakatomi building in Die Hard.

• Brother Orpheo likes this

#8 Grimmshade

Grimmshade

• Members
  • 430 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 03:41 PM

I agree with Krieger22.

I only use computers to open locks and containers, etc. when the character is slicing in via a port (like Artoo). If the character opening the lock isn't using slicing gear, then it's Skullduggery.

• kaosoe likes this

#9 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,551 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 05:41 PM

Knowledge(U) and Streetwise.

Knowledge is just that, information.  It lacks the social skills to be put into practice.  Someone with knowledge might be able to ID members of a syndicate but simply not have the social skills to contact them.  Streetwise to me is the practical application of that information.  I typically allow a successful Knowledge check to boost the appropriate application skill.

Knowledge doesn't just represent what you know though, it also represents research and analysis skills.  Someone with knowledge could pour through crime reports, shipping manifests, local news reports, really any and all sources of information to determine who is calling the shots.

Streetwise would be the ability to go in blind and find out the same information but on the ground.  It's also the skill to take that information and put it to use.

Skulduggery and Computers.  In regards to locks I don't think there is really a hard and fast rule that needs to be followed other than the obvious like the lock has to be electronic in some form for Computers to apply.  I don't think Skulduggery need to be the exclusive skill used though.  A mechanical lock I might allow a Mechanic check.  I think if the door is that much of a plot point it's up to you to decide what skills can or should be used ahead of time.  Really if the door is that much of a plot point it should be very ensemble like Scoundrels or Oceans 11 or Fast n Furious and everyone should have a role to play in opening the door.

• whafrog likes this

My group's Obsidian Portal campaign site: It's All in the Trigger Squeeze

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS