Recovering from critical injuries: Medicine

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

• Members
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 04:22 AM

On page 219 of the EotE core book it is explained how to recover from critical injures. At the end of each full week of rest the character may attempt one Resilience check with a difficulty equal to the critical injury severity rating. On a successful check the character recovers from the critical injury.

That is crystal clear.

But how Medicine helps recovering from critical injuries??

On page 113 the boo reads "Note that characters may attempt only one Medicine check per week when helping a character to recover from critical wounds"

On page 219 again "A character may also attempt to help someone recover from a Critical Injury by making a Medicine check with a difficulty equal to the severity rating of the Critical Injury once per Week."

helping? what does this mean? it does not say if the check succeeds it heals anything, just helps.

I wonder if it means "if the check succeeds it heals one critical injury" or it means "if the check succeeds the Medic helps healing the critical injury of his patient", by for example giving boost dice, or upgrading the Resilience check the character may attempt once per week (this is how Warhammer 3 works with Medicine) or downgrading the difficulty of the Resilience check.

How do you interpret that?

Cheers,

Yepes

The Book of the Asur - High Elf fan supplement

The Dark Side - Witches, Warlocks, Dark Magic and more

Secrets of the Anvil - Advanced Dwarf careers and runes

Dice statistics calculator for SW EotE

#2 Lathrop

Lathrop

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 04:28 AM

Basically means you can do a medicine (or mechanics for droids) check to instantly remove the critical, or try and remove it themselves at the cost of adding an extra 2 difficulty dice. "Helping"  is just a more narrative way of just saying it gets removed. But otherwise, you can try the Resilience check after a week of resting.

• cvtheoman likes this

#3 progressions

progressions

• Members
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:25 AM

I agree with Lathrop, "help someone recover from a critical injury" I believe is just their way of saying "heal someone's critical injury".

Our group's EOTE Obsidian Portal: Explorers on the Edge

#4 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:29 AM

Agreed, because all they can do is one.  If a player gets a couple or more in a single session that becomes a real hardship. Even with the written effect no longer an issue, the lingering mechanic of +10 for every unhealed critical gives you a glass jaw in combat until they're all dealt with.

My group's Obsidian Portal campaign site: It's All in the Trigger Squeeze

#5 UHF

UHF

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:46 AM

I read it as medical treatment. The injured guy gets one check a week, Resiliency if he's not aided. Medicine if there is a doctor in attendance.

#6 Krieger22

Krieger22

• Members
  • 678 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:36 PM

This has never come up in my campaign, but if it did I'd handle it something like this: The doctor provides long-term care for the recovering patient, checking in on him at least once per day for the duration. I'd have the doctor make a Medicine check (difficulty depending on the injury), with success for example letting the patient upgrade his Resilience once. For every 3 successes beyond the first he could upgrade once more. And for every 2 or 3 Advantage, he could add a Boost die. Failure wouldn't add anything, while every 2 or 3 Threat could add a Setback die.

#7 Ahrimon

Ahrimon

• Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 03:01 PM

We've done it as after every scene you are allowed 1 medicine check to recover wounds (triumphs recover criticals) and 1 check per critical to recover the critical (triumphs recover wounds).

It hasn't come up yet, but if multiple doctors wanted to attempt to treat the same wounds I would suggest that they only be able to increase the roll.  For example, the first doctor acheived 3 successes and healed 3 wounds.  The second doctor acheives 5 successes, but only heals two additional wounds because 3 of them had already been healed.

Weekly checks for criticals are one per critical.  While it hasn't come up yet, this has been our interpretation, or at least mine since it hasn't come up yet.  It may be a bit liberal, but our GM also treats bacta tanks as incredibly rare, large equipment that is only available to large corperations and military orginizations.  So, bacta tanks are pretty much not an option for us.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS