Triumphs on Weapon Crafting

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Bipolar Potter

Bipolar Potter

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 01:41 AM

So one of my players is running a Chiss Outlaw Tech, and is using a Bowcaster as his main weapon. Now i ruled that he couldnt use it out the gate, he had it from his wookie mentor, and he would have to make a hard Mechanics check to fix it for his own use. So he rolls the dice, and up come 2 triumphs and 3 advantage Netted. (!#%&. I am a mildly adversarial GM) Using the rules under Mechanics (pg.n 112) I ruled that the 1st two shots every session have the superior quality. He then proceeded to roll another triumph and two advantage putting the auto-reloader attachment on, and yet another putting a Sling attachment on. I was slightly flabbergasted at the time and simply glared at him as he gave me his best **** eating grin, thus i told him he was SOL on additional bonuses. So my question is how do you handle Multiple triumphs while crafting? I feel now after i've had a week to think about it that the bonuses i gave him are a little too strong but i do want to reward him for making that many triumphs while crafting. Your thoughts, suggestions, etc. please.

#2 Lathrop

Lathrop

• Members
  • 348 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 01:54 AM

Permanent boosts like that, that apply to combat, will tend to bite you in the ass. It depends on the mod and the attachment, but generally an extra boost for the remainder of the session, or a boost when applying further modifications on the attachment. Maybe even requiring less in parts to try modding the next attachment. That way there's a lot of useful stuff, but nothing too powerful.

#3 progressions

progressions

• Members
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:50 AM

I agree with Seiito's first suggestion especially, about adding some fluff regarding the impressive nature of his gun.

You can take it even further than that--it could gain him respect and influence instead of just compliments.

Perhaps it impresses a gangster enough to gain an audience with him or get a price boost on a job.

Maybe it draws attention at the cantina and people buy him drinks, possibly offering him information relevant to an ongoing adventure. (Or at least giving Boosts to checks looking for information in the right situations).

Maybe it gets him a discount on buying future mods or weapons from a weapons dealer who's impressed with the workmanship.

I like taking the fluff and making it have practical effects in game, without necessarily turning it into a permanent mechanical advantage that can be relied upon.

• cvtheoman and Bipolar Potter like this

EOTE Styles and Dice Symbols for Obsidian Portal

Our group's EOTE Obsidian Portal: Explorers on the Edge

#4 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,918 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 05:05 AM

I'd probably have it upgrade the next check to Modify the item. This represents him having the next Mod in mind even as he's putting the finishing touches on the current one. Optionally, I might allow it to reduce the cost of the Mod being made.

• LibrariaNPC likes this

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#5 Dyslexic Dragon

Dyslexic Dragon

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 07:16 AM

Or you could give it the Spare Clip Talent. Since it has been well crafted and is able to energy more efficiently.

#6 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,551 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:12 AM

So one of my players is running a Chiss Outlaw Tech, and is using a Bowcaster as his main weapon. Now i ruled that he couldnt use it out the gate, he had it from his wookie mentor, and he would have to make a hard Mechanics check to fix it for his own use. So he rolls the dice, and up come 2 triumphs and 3 advantage Netted. (!#%&. I am a mildly adversarial GM) Using the rules under Mechanics (pg.n 112) I ruled that the 1st two shots every session have the superior quality. He then proceeded to roll another triumph and two advantage putting the auto-reloader attachment on, and yet another putting a Sling attachment on. I was slightly flabbergasted at the time and simply glared at him as he gave me his best **** eating grin, thus i told him he was SOL on additional bonuses. So my question is how do you handle Multiple triumphs while crafting? I feel now after i've had a week to think about it that the bonuses i gave him are a little too strong but i do want to reward him for making that many triumphs while crafting. Your thoughts, suggestions, etc. please.

I always say your table your game but as far as the adversarial part I don't think it's wrong to simply award good dice rolls.

Considering if there's a despair on an upgraded difficulty the attachment is kerblooey I hardly think some equally beneficial permanent should flow from triumphs, particularly a pair of them.  

Having said that there are a number of upgrades that you could throw in that wouldn't be game breakers.  Honestly a permanent damage boost for a pair of Triumphs is perfectly reasonable and appropriate. Encumbrance reduction is an idea, some of the talent upgrades like a rank of sniper shot or maybe quickdraw on the sling, something.  

I'm not being critical but really 4 Triumphs working one weapon, all done at the same time, if you don't reward that you aren't being adversarial you're being stingy.

• cvtheoman likes this

My group's Obsidian Portal campaign site: It's All in the Trigger Squeeze

#7 Krieger22

Krieger22

• Members
  • 700 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:41 PM

Our group's mechanic has managed to roll a few Triumphs when modding attachments. I've typically given him and/or the owner a couple of choices: Have the weapon act as Superior for the rest of the session (or the next, if it's at the end of the evening) or be able to fire one extra-powerful blast the next time it's used, or adding a boost die for the next combat encounter. Depending a little on the weapon, but you get the idea. Permanent enhancements is something I've avoided, since that could easily lead to some unbalanced weapons.

• Bipolar Potter likes this

#8 UHF

UHF

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 12:27 PM

Or it really is superior... in his hands only.  He gets full hard point compliment as well.

#9 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,551 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 12:33 PM

Personalizing weapons is a great idea.  I just don't see if someone is really successful on a roll they shouldn't be rewarded.  A weapon that now permanently does another point of damage and has a talent thrown in just isn't game breaking imo.

• cvtheoman likes this

My group's Obsidian Portal campaign site: It's All in the Trigger Squeeze

#10 cvtheoman

cvtheoman

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:09 AM

Or you could give it the Spare Clip Talent. Since it has been well crafted and is able to energy more efficiently.

One of the new guns from Dangerous Covenants essentially does this, so it's fitting with FFG's game design.

Math is such a tool.

#11 Lancer999

Lancer999

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:17 AM

I also think that a Chiss carrying a Bowcaster will turn heads and attract attention. (It's like a Morman bumping Tupac) So maybe you can play w/ that aspect.

On a side note I share your pain in the rolling...In D&D I had an Boss fight w/ an enemy that was 2lvs higher than the PCs and was meant to mortally wound someone, but my archer of the group (And Noob of the group) *House Rule is that if anyone rolls a 20 they can roll again and if it's confirmed w/ another 20 they can roll again and if they roll another 20 then the Enemy is DEAD no matter what...1 in 8000 Chance*  Well She rolled 3 20s in a row and killed my Boss.  So as a reward I knighted her and gave her a personalized weapon.  So I understand the absurdity of things like that happening, but it does happen :) :(

Edited by Lancer999, 03 March 2014 - 11:20 AM.

"Make sure your shields are on Double Front, or you'll get your @$$ shot off!"

#12 Bipolar Potter

Bipolar Potter

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 04:41 PM

Sorry for the late reply, I got work out of town suddenly. I really like the Spare Clip idea, and the RP bonuses. The problem i have with simply tacking on extra damage is that it WILL break game design. The bowcaster already does a lot of damage as is, and it almost one-shots any rivals outright in his hands right now. Im dreading him adding the damage attachment and rolling a further 3 triumphs on the install and mods. And ive DMed far too many games where i allowed a single +1 to an item and seen it mess with game balance. I think ill keep the single Superior Shot a session, and give him the spare clip and the "oooooooh shiny gun" factor Seiito suggested. And ill give him a bonus die or two on his next mod check on the weapon.

#13 Bipolar Potter

Bipolar Potter

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:56 PM

YES.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS