store championship

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 KovuTalli

KovuTalli

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 05:28 PM

So a local store is running a store championship tournament, but claims it will be single elim and not swiss, is this legal? Been digging through floor ruels trying to find something applicable to this.

It depends if it is a FFG Sponsored Store tournament, or just a Internal store tournament.

Rebel Fleet: 3x X-wing, 1x A-wing 1x Y-wing 1x YT-1300.

On Order: 1x  HWK, 1x A-wing, 3x B-wing, 2x Tie Interceptor.

Imperial Fleet: 4x Tie Fighter, 2x Tie Adv, 1x Lambda Shuttle.

#22 Lappenlocker

Lappenlocker

• Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 05:32 PM

It depends if it is a FFG Sponsored Store tournament, or just a Internal store tournament.

Wrong. See the links in all my posts.

Edited by Lappenlocker, 01 March 2014 - 05:33 PM.

Bob Bell, Wylie TX
Rebels: (5) X-Wings, (4) Y-Wings, (2) A-Wings, (2) B-Wings, (2) YT-1300s, (2) HWK-290s
Imperials: (9) TIE Fighters, (2) TIE Advanced, (2) TIE Interceptors, (2) TIE Bombers, (2) Lambda Shuttles, (2) Firespray-31s, (2) Imperial Aces

#23 KovuTalli

KovuTalli

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 05:35 PM

Wrong. See the links in all my posts.

It looks as if the Organizer can chose reading the first few Paragraphs? Or does it contradict that later?

Edited by KovuTalli, 01 March 2014 - 05:37 PM.

#24 Lappenlocker

Lappenlocker

• Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 05:54 PM

Good question. I guess that depends on what the Store Championship package has in it for instructions. Since I haven't seen one, I can't comment on that. However, the guide I linked does have this possibly conflicting information (emphasis mine):

"If this is your first tournament, follow our recommendations below to run a Swiss format tournament. Of course you may choose to use another tournament format instead.
We have published detailed tournament rules for every one of our OP-supported games. You will find these on our website at www.fantasyflightgames.com/opsupport.
Why use the Swiss format?
All of FFG’s competitive events are run using the Swiss tournament format. The Swiss format creates a positive tournament experience because: ..."

Does that mean competitive events run by FFG staff or does that include the Store Championships? Without a quote from the instructions for a Store Championship, I don't know. All I know is that several folks here have used this guide to prove that other formats are permitted.

Since you pointed out the apparent conflict I'm beginning to think that the first paragraph is referring to tournaments supported by the organized play kits but the Store Championships could very well fall under the first sentence under the "Why use the Swiss format?" section.

Stuck in FFG ambiguity yet again. (sigh)
Bob Bell, Wylie TX
Rebels: (5) X-Wings, (4) Y-Wings, (2) A-Wings, (2) B-Wings, (2) YT-1300s, (2) HWK-290s
Imperials: (9) TIE Fighters, (2) TIE Advanced, (2) TIE Interceptors, (2) TIE Bombers, (2) Lambda Shuttles, (2) Firespray-31s, (2) Imperial Aces

#25 KovuTalli

KovuTalli

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 05:59 PM

By the sounds of it, if it is a FFG Sponsored event, such as Store Champs/Regionals, etc. It has to use FFG rules and Swiss format.

But if it is just a Store holding it's own tournament with no input or prizes from FFG it can run its own Format but I believe most still run Swiss anyway as its more fair and more fun for all involved.

#26 elfholme

elfholme

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:47 PM

I haven't opened our kit yet, but the FFG OP Guide is very clear that the store gets to decide the tournament format. Swiss is the recommended format, but even that is only up to the point where the organizer decides to start running elimination rounds.
FWIW, our tournament will be Swiss.

Is this the OP Guide to which you refer? Regardless, this document does clear state the although Swiss style is preferred, the TO is free to choose the tournament format.

Yep, that's it.

The Store Championship kit just has a single sheet that basically refers you to the OP rules on their site. The tournament doesn't have to be Swiss.

I ran 4 rounds of Swiss at my FLGS, and it turned out great! We had 24 players (double what the store employees told me to expect), so I had to do some quick shuffling around. I was greatly aided by one player who had just moved out here from Texas, and brought 4 of the GF9 mats. Combined with the 4 mats my brother and I brought, we had most players playing on some purty surfaces (thanks for the help Kevin!). After 4 rounds of Swiss, we only had one player with 4 wins (all full Wins). Places 2-4 were all 3 Win players, with order determined by Strength of Schedule. Worked great, and we had lots of players swapping emails at the end of the event, so I think that's a win for everyone!
  • Lappenlocker likes this

#27 Forensicus

Forensicus

• Members
  • 485 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:56 PM

I almost wonder what's the difference between running a full single-elimination tournament vs. running a few rounds of swiss before cutting to a top 4 or 8 and then having single elimination from there.

I know the BIG difference is the "LUCK" factor is ratcheted all the way up as there is no recovering from one bad game.  How to seed the tournament could also be debated.

See below

I haven't opened our kit yet, but the FFG OP Guide is very clear that the store gets to decide the tournament format. Swiss is the recommended format, but even that is only up to the point where the organizer decides to start running elimination rounds.
FWIW, our tournament will be Swiss.

Is this the OP Guide to which you refer? Regardless, this document does clear state the although Swiss style is preferred, the TO is free to choose the tournament format.
Yep, that's it.

The Store Championship kit just has a single sheet that basically refers you to the OP rules on their site. The tournament doesn't have to be Swiss.

I ran 4 rounds of Swiss at my FLGS, and it turned out great! We had 24 players (double what the store employees told me to expect), so I had to do some quick shuffling around. I was greatly aided by one player who had just moved out here from Texas, and brought 4 of the GF9 mats. Combined with the 4 mats my brother and I brought, we had most players playing on some purty surfaces (thanks for the help Kevin!). After 4 rounds of Swiss, we only had one player with 4 wins (all full Wins). Places 2-4 were all 3 Win players, with order determined by Strength of Schedule. Worked great, and we had lots of players swapping emails at the end of the event, so I think that's a win for everyone!

As written by elfholme one major difference is the experience you are offering to the participants: instead ofpossibly/likely only getting to play 1 match before being eliminated, all players are guaranteed at least X numbers of Swiss Rounds. Granted, some players will likely end up way down in the standings after a couple of games, but beside 1 incident I/we here in Copenhagen haven't experienced anyone dropping out even though their winning chances had long gone. Instead most people take it as a learning experience and actually enjoy the buzzing atmosphere

1617307_10152107045279191_632801669_o.jp 1795950_10152107069634191_1541368280_o.j 1911159_10152107036684191_581907088_o.jp

2014 X-Wing Regional Champion (CPH, Denmark)

Fleet: 1 x [YT-1300] -  5 x [X-Wing] - 4 x [A-Wing] -2 x [Y-Wing] - 2 x [HWK-290] - 4 x [B-Wing] - 1 x [Transport] - 1 x [Tantive IV]: 2 x [Firespray-31] - 8 x [Tie Fighters] - 6 x [Tie Interceptor] - 3 x [Tie Advanced] - 3 x [TIE-Bomber] - 3 x [Lambda Shuttle]

"Hangars": BattleFoam P.A.C.K. 432 & P.A.C.K. 216 with custom & pluck foams "Battlefields": 3 x Gale Force 9 Mats

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS