2014 Scenario Writing Contest - if interested, post here

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 01:09 PM

My Southlands adventure is going to be a bit too much of a Paizo/TSR plagiarism festival to claim as my own.

That said I'm fine to share things like stats for lizard men (I've been going through old systems and WFB, normally cold-blooded they go into a frenzy if you seem to threaten a Slann or holy relic, their Cold Blooded Mind is extra challenging to target and so on) and other "setting stuff", such as effects of being in that region for channelling etc.

#22 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,117 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 06:31 PM

Wasn't there a southlands lizard in the menagerie zoo party in TEW?

#23 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 06:33 AM

Not in the original, I added one in my version that I have shared.

• Emirikol likes this

#24 Nimsim

Nimsim

• Members
  • 968 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 10:17 AM

Hi everyone! I have the skeleton of a little adventure I wrote up that's intended to introduce a group to warhammer. I could probably flesh it out a bit. It has a race for treasure, a chaos sorcerer, a Ranald-worshipping thieves guild, and a goat-tossing troll. I'd say I could fill out at least 10 pages with it. Count me in!
  • Emirikol, d6 Evil Men, valvorik and 1 other like this

#25 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,117 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 07:03 PM

Bump REMINDER.  Get on this folks :)

I'd like to plug the scenario idea generator.  I added "Historical reference".  https://dl.dropboxus...Output 1.6.xlsx

Maybe I'll throw a couple skeletons out there.

#26 Nimsim

Nimsim

• Members
  • 968 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 10:39 AM

Is it okay to post my current outline in this thread? I've mostly been brainstorming on tying things together. The basic plot is that long ago a witch hunter is rumored to have buried treasure in a mountain temple near the town. There was recently an earthquake in the area, with a strange cloud forming over the mountain. People are interpreting this as a sign that the treasure has been revealed and several parties have ventured up the mountain but not returned. The players arrive in town just as multiple expeditions are setting up the mountain and may get roped into helping one of the groups or set up themselves. This results in a race to see who can find the treasure first as the players journey through dark woods and up the treacherous mountain. Who are these other parties and what do they want with the treasure? What secrets do they hide? Play to find out!

I can post the outlined encounters if people want.

#27 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,117 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:21 PM

that's great!  You can post it here, or provide a link.  You'll usually get plenty of feedback.  

Ask if you want feedback anonymous or public.

I usually post mine by dropbox link b/c they are always works in progress.

jh

#28 Nimsim

Nimsim

• Members
  • 968 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:04 PM

Well, I haven't really written anything so much as gotten an outline in my head, but here's the basic progression.

Local Lore

In the town of X, it is rumored that a nearby mountain range contains an ancient treasure of the dwarfs. According to local lore, 30 years ago, a witch hunter traveled to the mountains to seek out this treasure. People say that when the witch hunter returned, s/he was able to retire with her new-found wealth, and left the town telling no one of the secret treasure. There was an earthquake recently, and an omen of some sort (twin tails of smoke? I'm figuring this out) appeared over a specific peak. Since that time, numerous adventurers have set off to find the treasure of the witch hunter, though none have yet returned.

Actual Events

The witch hunter did mount an expedition, due to rumors of a magical artifact there. The witch hunter traveled with a group of adventurers, and they found an old dwarf temple that had been profaned by chaos. Within was an artifact that drove the person possessing it mad with greed. The witch hunter was forced to kill the members of her party, and, unable to touch the artifact herself, sealed the entrance to the temple and left, retiring soon after due to the stress of the event.

Adventure Structure

Episode One: Finding work in town

Act One: The adventurers choose an inn to stay at and meet the inhabitants

Act Two: The adventurers are offered work by some of the inhabitants of the inn, pending their completion of a task

Act Three: The adventurers are offered the chance to make a trek to the mountain, or can choose to go it alone

Episode Two: Climbing the Mountain

Act One: The adventurers pass through the woods and encounter a goblin ambush

Act Two: The adventurers climb the mountain while being harassed by a stone troll

Act Three: The adventurers arrive at the temple and begin to explore it

Episode Three: Finding the artifact

Act One: The adventurers find the artifact, before, after, or simultaneously to other groups of adventurers

Act Two: The adventurers negotiate with the other groups (by tongue or by sword) for what will be done with the artifact)

Act Three: The adventurers escape from the temple as it begins collapsing and the stone troll again confronts them

Summaries

Episode One

Some ways to get the adventurers into the inn include having them arrive at night and having it be raining heavily. Maybe the adventurers heard about the treasure and came here to find more. Emphasize the gloominess and creepiness of the town and outskirts at night, and the warmth and comfort of the inn.

There are two inns. One of them is a regular inn, in which the players will be approached by an old woman who asks them to accompany her up the mountain if they can solve a simple riddle for her. The players will deal with a pickpocket, a sigmarite priest arguing with a ulric-worshipping worker, and a young woman who may be hiding a slight mutation. The old woman asks the players to answer who in the inn has taken what is Sigmar's, and they have multiple ways to find an answer to this. Use a social encounter here with a progress tracker of the players gathering enough evidence to prove their answer.

The other inn has a basement which is the secret meeting place of a Ranaldian cult. They are planning to venture to the mountain. They offer the players aid and a cut of the profits but ask them to prove themselves. A tax collector and the local gaoler (jailer) are both at the inn tonight and the players must race one of the Ranaldian members to see who can get one of them to start a fight and get locked up first. The bartender is the priest of the group and his bored daughter may also let some secrets slip if someone piques her interest.  Use a social encounter here with a progress tracker racing to see which man's "anger" reaches a boiling point first.

If the players don't succeed at either task, they will be approached in the morning by a young wizard who asks them to accompany him to the mountain, citing the records of there being a magical artifact there that he would like to acquire.

The players can also decide to go up themselves, and if they decide not to, or if they decide to screw around too much, the town can either be attacked by goblins who are then chased into the mountain with the players press-ganged into service, or the players themselves may be chased out of town and up the mountain.

Episode Two:

This episode uses a progress tracker to show the movement of the wizard, the old woman, and the ranaldian cult up the mountain, as well as the players if they go it alone. The Ranaldian cult, being thieves, plans to swindle the players out of any treasure, but will respect attempts by the players to do the same. The wizard simply wants the artifact and is willing to pay the players well for their services. The old woman is the witch hunter who originally sealed the temple, with plans to seal the temple again with the players inside, although they may remind her of her old adventuring group.

The players will first venture through the forest and face goblin attack, although they may be able to avoid this or sneak up on the goblins. This forest offers a chance to make disease checks, as some of the plants are poisonous. There is also an old shrine to Taal hidden in the woods, as well as an old raided and abandoned wagon containing some information on the witch hunters original expedition.

The players will have to climb up cliffs while the stone troll shows up and harasses them, and will later encounter the stone troll further up the mountain tossing goats at them. The stone troll acts as a nuisance and will leave if a major fight starts breaking out. It's just mad that people are trespassing on its home. The players will have multiple paths to choose to climb up the mountain.

Once the players arrive at the temple, check for who arrived first on the progress tracker. If the players arrived first, they will have a brief amount of time to enter the artifact's chamber and interact with it before the other groups show up. Otherwise, the players will arrive shortly after the other groups. This can all vary based on the order groups arrive in.

Episode Three:

The temple itself should be described as ancient but mostly empty, with much of it crumbling. The players may notice what look like blast marks on the walls of the entrance, and see how the seismic activity has shifted the rubble. Most of the temple will be cut off, but it should be impressed on the players how imposing it is. As they proceed, they can notice that the temple appears to have been desecrated by greenskins, except for one path that seems strangely pristine.

Within the chamber itself, the players and the other groups will all collide and meet. If the players don't accompany the witch hunter or wizard, they will have bodyguards with them. At this point a social encounter can occur with the players attempting to convince the wizard and ranaldians to leave the artifact alone, and the wizard to not blow up the entrance and lock them all in. This encounter should have a variety of ways that it can end, including peaceably or with fights breaking out with different people siding with the players. If any of the players or ranaldians touch the artifact, they will become super aggressive and attempt to kill everyone around them. If the wizard touches it, he will mutate into a chaos spawn!

Regardless of the outcome, the temple will begin collapsing, either through seismic activity or the witch hunter detonating explosives she placed at the entrance. The players will have to escape the temple, and the stone troll will show up again blocking their way. A progress tracker can be used to time their escape.

Aftermath:

Haven't thought about this much yet, but the players could end up being paid but any victory will be a pyrrhic one as they may be forced to kill good-meaning people or may end up not being paid at all.

I think there is good opportunity to introduce the competing religions in WFRP, as well as things like disease, corruption, and the theme of not being heroes so much as hapless adventurers. I'm also trying to encourage social encounters as a way to conduct investigations and to show that this isn't just a hack n slash adventure.

What do people think?

• Emirikol and d6 Evil Men like this

#29 d6 Evil Men

d6 Evil Men

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 04:18 AM

Good stuff, I like it. Here are a few suggestions/ideas/questions that came to mind:

- You could start the scenario with a short scene to draw the PCs into it. As the night falls and the weather starts to get worse the PCs suddenly spot movement. Soon, a mob with lanterns, torches and pitchforks follows. They stop the PCs (or they hide) and question them. This group is after a goblin spy that was spotted lurking in the town. The PCs can help or tell them what they saw. The mob then takes them (or gives them directions) to the inn. This allows you to make sure the PCs know about the inn, and foreshadows the goblin presence in the mountains.

- Is there a need for two inns? Could you include all that action in one location? Just to make sure the characters know all the competitors before they start up the mountain.

- Did the witch-hunter retire in the town? If so, are there strange rumors about her? Could the witch-hunter be a dwarf instead? Just a thought that occurred to me because of the dwarven temple and the use of explosives.

- Good use of trackers.

- Could all the different parties have very different ideas about the treasure they are after? To emphasize the mystery of the temple and the treasure.

- What if the goblins have a connection to the troll? They could worship it, or they could be here to try to enslave it (goblin logic...). This way you could drop hints of a powerfull enemy up the mountain, when the PCs encounter the gobbos.

- Taal shrine and abandoned wagon are great touches.

- What if the troll were to attack the temple during the climax, when Interaction with the other groups has reached a certain point? This would maybe force the PCs to make some though decisions: do we help this or that party in this fight, or do we try to escape? Who has the treasure, and how can we get it while the troll is bashing the temple to pieces? Do we help the witch-hunter blow up the exit, possibly sealing some people inside with the troll?

Edited by d6 Evil Men, 09 June 2014 - 04:20 AM.

• Nimsim likes this

#30 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,117 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:12 PM

Great start:  You've already got a good handle on some of the meat of the adventure.  Here are my recommendations for additions right off the bat:

Adventure background section:
Add:  some odd details about a couple of the Witch Hunter's ill-fated expedition and other party members..this gives the party red herrings and background to "find out" when they are in the inn.

Give a couple conflicting rumors about The Artifact.  Example:  some say it is a chaos sword, some say it is an orb dedicated to manaan, some say it is a huge chunk of warpstone.. and make sure when the PCs find it, that all/some/none of that is true.

Good job with your Scenario Play synopsis into the act structure.  It  will help you formulate your meat text later.

I would recommend that you choose an actual location near the Grey Mountains near Reikland with suggestions "it can be set anywhere."  This is usually much better than going too generic right off the bat and having no focus.  I would recommend something near Ubersreik, as that seems to be a hotspot of activity for 3rd edition.  You can find a good map at:  http://www.gitzmansgallery.com/

I like the idea of choosing between two inns..in fact, you may wish to ENCOURAGE that there is something knowlegeable to be gained at BOTH inns rather than just the typical rumor mongering at a single inn.  (Too many scenarios are guilty of fire-hose-to-the-mouth-rumors-at-the-inn..and this may break that monotony).

Is the witch hunter still around?  Is she maimed so she cannot go herself?  Will she speak with adventurer's?  If she's not around, could they run into her chaos-mutated body in the woods on the way there finding major clues at her cottage in the woods..a diary perhaps?

Just an aside:  I'm thinking of the movie "Prometheus" in regards to the witch hunter's cluster-f'd-ill-fated-adventure.

Need a name for witch hunter.  I would also have an organization of witch hunters that she belongs to that the PCs may be able to gather info or "rumors" about.  Ordo fidelis or something wierd like that.

Suggestion:  Most encounters should relate to the ill-fated encounter or at least provide a clue or background for your over-arching plot.  it's great to have goblins and trolls in the forest, but have some dangling clue why it is THEM and not some other schmuck goblins. it doesn't even have to be anything super obvious:  It could be that one of them has a wizard's staff from when the goblins raided into the mountains and pried it from the cold dead hands of the Witch Hunter's friend.  The PCs may not find out about that until later, or they may say "hmmmm, that's strange..what are goblins doing with a wizard's staff?"

Epsiode 1:  have lots of opportunities for rumors and if you are going to provide work for the PCs try to give some red-herring background for the area and local juicy gossip.  Remember, Reiklanders love to gossip!  Your inns should have names and attributes appropriate to Warhammer, and perhaps a noted history:  The Duke of Faligmere visited here once and sat in that very spot!

Episode 2:  add environmental hazards, old ruins, and colorful Warhammerisms such as the goblin comedy, stone troll who wears an Imperial army banner as a loincloth (upside down, and stained of course..but it could be cleaned and fumigated..oh, nevermind, just burn the dang flag with the body!)  The troll encounter will be dangerous and will need some variety of approach options..perhaps speak, bribe, flirt (ick!), or just RUN AWAY!

Episode 3:  Start with a good detail of the approaches into the mountain, some oddities about the area.  Reference black fire pass for ideas on dwarfs and add some Runes and use the alphabet of the dwarfs for possibly some puzzles, "What's this room?"  [dwarfen translation:  harem of the King]

Episode 3:  Other groups:  you'll want to reveal early that they're not the only ones after it.  I would use something OTHER than humans:  elves, dwarfs, halflings, ogres, innocent pilgrims or something.

A MAP will be crucial for this sort of thing.  It doesn't have to be pretty and it can have "unexplored" areas where the GM can embellish.  There should be evidence in MANY places of the prior expeditions (failed..perhaps a dead wizard missing his staff?), and evidence of the effect of the artifact.  Chaos is drawn to chaos and it doesn't all have to be monsters.  Instability of the halls will be crucial..perhaps chaos has infected veins of ore throughout the mountain and made it OBVIOUSLY unstable.  

Have the stone troll not like a particular OTHER troll in the region near the PCs.  These sorts of things add life to the monsters (if they can be revealed somehow outside of combat).

When you're ready for formatting, always remember to do creature stat-blocks last.  Try to reference the Creature Guide (or vault or core) rather than typing in whole reproductions of unnecessary stuff cluttering up the text.    Special rules should be put in a side-bar. I always suggest the following:  
Adventure Synopsis (how it is 'expected' to play out).  It is pretty much like you have it there, but ALL MAJOR CLUES should be revealed in the adventure synopsis.  Example
Adventure Background (stuff that the GM can ACTUALLY use for the adventure..not just gobs of text that the PCs will never find out.

I'm looking forward to seeing this adventure fleshed out!

jh

• Nimsim likes this

#31 Nimsim

Nimsim

• Members
  • 968 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 02:31 PM

[quote name="d6 Evil Men" post="1113893" timestamp="1402309105"]Good stuff, I like it. Here are a few suggestions/ideas/questions that came to mind:
- You could start the scenario with a short scene to draw the PCs into it. As the night falls and the weather starts to get worse the PCs suddenly spot movement. Soon, a mob with lanterns, torches and pitchforks follows. They stop the PCs (or they hide) and question them. This group is after a goblin spy that was spotted lurking in the town. The PCs can help or tell them what they saw. The mob then takes them (or gives them directions) to the inn. This allows you to make sure the PCs know about the inn, and foreshadows the goblin presence in the mountains.
[/quote]

I was definitely thinking about starting a little more in media res so that the players had more excitement to begin with. Maybe they could be facing a goblin attack themselves, or maybe come upon some adventurers planning to find the treasure who are being attacked by goblins. Reinforce that the town is being swarmed by foolhardy treasure hunters.

- Is there a need for two inns? Could you include all that action in one location? Just to make sure the characters know all the competitors before they start up the mountain.

I definitely think that the players should be introduced to all parties. Perhaps they all set off at the same time and the ranaldians make a wager on who arrives first, thus establishing the race.

- Did the witch-hunter retire in the town? If so, are there strange rumors about her? Could the witch-hunter be a dwarf instead? Just a thought that occurred to me because of the dwarven temple and the use of explosives.

My idea was that the witch hunter came to town after killing her party and then left without a word. Some of the older townsfolk may recognize her, or note that she seems familiar.

I'm kind of torn on whether to make her a dwarf. Perhaps I could make her a female dwarf slayer who is penitent for killing her party? Instead of a wizard it could be a high elf and the artifact is a leftover from the war of the beard that was planted with the dwarfs by elves to set them upon each other. That could be kind of cool.

- Could all the different parties have very different ideas about the treasure they are after? To emphasize the mystery of the temple and the treasure.

Maybe it could be this: Ranaldians are young and reckless and just want treasure. They plan on selling the artifact
The dwarf slayer is seeking out a glorious death but wants to prevent anyone from getting the artifact.
The high elf wants to return the artifact to ulthuan to be studied/preventing people from finding out about its use. A future adventure seed may be finding out it was a dark elf tool or maybe a high elf one that elves are considering using again.

- What if the goblins have a connection to the troll? They could worship it, or they could be here to try to enslave it (goblin logic...). This way you could drop hints of a powerfull enemy up the mountain, when the PCs encounter the gobbos./quote]

Absolutely. I'm going to try connecting things a lot more in order to make things less disjointed.

[quote name="d6 Evil Men" post="1113893" timestamp="1402309105"]
- What if the troll were to attack the temple during the climax, when Interaction with the other groups has reached a certain point? This would maybe force the PCs to make some though decisions: do we help this or that party in this fight, or do we try to escape? Who has the treasure, and how can we get it while the troll is bashing the temple to pieces? Do we help the witch-hunter blow up the exit, possibly sealing some people inside with the troll?

I was thinking about the witch hunter (maybe now the dwarf slayer) actually having encountered the troll before and using it against the party. I definitely think it should show up at the climax of the social encounter in the temple.

Thanks for the feedback and positivity! I want to add lots of touches to make it feel like warhammer and not just fantasy, as well as emphasizing the grim darkness and satirical humor. I'll take a stab at a first draft and post it up.

#32 Nimsim

Nimsim

• Members
  • 968 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:24 PM

Great start:  You've already got a good handle on some of the meat of the adventure.  Here are my recommendations for additions right off the bat:

Adventure background section:
Add:  some odd details about a couple of the Witch Hunter's ill-fated expedition and other party members..this gives the party red herrings and background to "find out" when they are in the inn.

Give a couple conflicting rumors about The Artifact.  Example:  some say it is a chaos sword, some say it is an orb dedicated to manaan, some say it is a huge chunk of warpstone.. and make sure when the PCs find it, that all/some/none of that is true.

I'm definitely planning on fleshing these out in the actual document. Per above, I think I may change the witch hunter to a dwarf turned slayer after being forced to kill his party. I think the artifact will end up being an eleven weapon that causes the holder to go mad with greed. It also puts out an aura of being treasure, leading the dwarves to taking it and the rumors arising about it. Of course, being designed for corruption resistant dwarfs, it may have stronger effects on humans. I will also try to add sections of rumors about the treasure and the dwarf slayers ill fated adventure, as well as what happened to the dwarfs originally in the temple.

Good job with your Scenario Play synopsis into the act structure.  It  will help you formulate your meat text later.

I would recommend that you choose an actual location near the Grey Mountains near Reikland with suggestions "it can be set anywhere."  This is usually much better than going too generic right off the bat and having no focus.  I would recommend something near Ubersreik, as that seems to be a hotspot of activity for 3rd edition.  You can find a good map at:  http://www.gitzmansgallery.com/

I like the idea of choosing between two inns..in fact, you may wish to ENCOURAGE that there is something knowlegeable to be gained at BOTH inns rather than just the typical rumor mongering at a single inn.  (Too many scenarios are guilty of fire-hose-to-the-mouth-rumors-at-the-inn..and this may break that monotony).

Is the witch hunter still around?  Is she maimed so she cannot go herself?  Will she speak with adventurer's?  If she's not around, could they run into her chaos-mutated body in the woods on the way there finding major clues at her cottage in the woods..a diary perhaps?

I'm thinking Geissbach on the map. Super close to übersreik and near woods and mountains. See above for the witch hunter. I'd assume that the dwarf slayer left to seek out death but has always stayed close to the town and the treasure, with rumors of some "wild dwarf" existing. I'll try to go out of my way to give the two inns different character/detail.

Just an aside:  I'm thinking of the movie "Prometheus" in regards to the witch hunter's cluster-f'd-ill-fated-adventure.

Need a name for witch hunter.  I would also have an organization of witch hunters that she belongs to that the PCs may be able to gather info or "rumors" about.  Ordo fidelis or something wierd like that.

Suggestion:  Most encounters should relate to the ill-fated encounter or at least provide a clue or background for your over-arching plot.  it's great to have goblins and trolls in the forest, but have some dangling clue why it is THEM and not some other schmuck goblins. it doesn't even have to be anything super obvious:  It could be that one of them has a wizard's staff from when the goblins raided into the mountains and pried it from the cold dead hands of the Witch Hunter's friend.  The PCs may not find out about that until later, or they may say "hmmmm, that's strange..what are goblins doing with a wizard's staff?"

Ha, I like the idea of having it turn out like a horror movie. I'll try to emphasize the number of corpses and failed attempts at the treasure through encounters and details. I like the idea of equipping the goblins in the area with scavenged dwarf tools but having them warn or mention "fools gold" in the mountain.

Epsiode 1:  have lots of opportunities for rumors and if you are going to provide work for the PCs try to give some red-herring background for the area and local juicy gossip.  Remember, Reiklanders love to gossip!  Your inns should have names and attributes appropriate to Warhammer, and perhaps a noted history:  The Duke of Faligmere visited here once and sat in that very spot!

I'll write up several rumors for the GM to mention. Thanks for the advice!

Episode 2:  add environmental hazards, old ruins, and colorful Warhammerisms such as the goblin comedy, stone troll who wears an Imperial army banner as a loincloth (upside down, and stained of course..but it could be cleaned and fumigated..oh, nevermind, just burn the dang flag with the body!)  The troll encounter will be dangerous and will need some variety of approach options..perhaps speak, bribe, flirt (ick!), or just RUN AWAY!

I'll try to detail out the creatures players face, as well as NPC personalities and names. I had a plan for te goblins to be named Click, Clack, and Clem, but to constantly argue over who's who.

I am definitely planning to build the troll fight up quite a bit, and to allow for some leeway in how to escape/kill it at the end.

Episode 3:  Start with a good detail of the approaches into the mountain, some oddities about the area.  Reference black fire pass for ideas on dwarfs and add some Runes and use the alphabet of the dwarfs for possibly some puzzles, "What's this room?"  [dwarfen translation:  harem of the King]

Episode 3:  Other groups:  you'll want to reveal early that they're not the only ones after it.  I would use something OTHER than humans:  elves, dwarfs, halflings, ogres, innocent pilgrims or something.

Again, I plan on adding a lot more detail. Great suggestions! I think I'll have a brief encounter when the players set off for the ranaldians to bet on who gets there first and introduce/mention the high elf and dwarf slayer.

A MAP will be crucial for this sort of thing.  It doesn't have to be pretty and it can have "unexplored" areas where the GM can embellish.  There should be evidence in MANY places of the prior expeditions (failed..perhaps a dead wizard missing his staff?), and evidence of the effect of the artifact.  Chaos is drawn to chaos and it doesn't all have to be monsters.  Instability of the halls will be crucial..perhaps chaos has infected veins of ore throughout the mountain and made it OBVIOUSLY unstable.  

I'll see if I can get my artistic girlfriend to draw something out or even do some character/location art. Her normal style is kind of similar to Longer and Lanier versions of something like plants vs zombies. Do you think that could work for wfrp?

Have the stone troll not like a particular OTHER troll in the region near the PCs.  These sorts of things add life to the monsters (if they can be revealed somehow outside of combat).

Another good idea. I may also have the dwarf slayer and stone troll remember each other.

When you're ready for formatting, always remember to do creature stat-blocks last.  Try to reference the Creature Guide (or vault or core) rather than typing in whole reproductions of unnecessary stuff cluttering up the text.    Special rules should be put in a side-bar. I always suggest the following:  
Adventure Synopsis (how it is 'expected' to play out).  It is pretty much like you have it there, but ALL MAJOR CLUES should be revealed in the adventure synopsis.  Example
Adventure Background (stuff that the GM can ACTUALLY use for the adventure..not just gobs of text that the PCs will never find out.

I'm looking forward to seeing this adventure fleshed out!

jh

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll try and get a more detailed draft up and posted.

#33 DrWorm73

DrWorm73

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:06 AM

I'm going to throw my hat in the ring.  I tend to write (or make up as I go along sometimes) based on the motivations of my players, but I will work on something a bit more generic.  While I have been playing the game off and on since I was like 14 (I'm 40 now) I have not really dug deep into the geography or lore so hopefully I get the fiddly bits right.

• Emirikol likes this

#34 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,117 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 01:03 PM

I always started with the background idea and then broke it down into 9-10 encounters.  In WFRP, break it into 3 episodes with 3 acts each and you'll have a great separatation to start with.  

Most of the time, you get to the point where the big idea is plenty, but sometimes you'll find out that your acts start getting a little thin..that's where the creativity comes in!

jh

#35 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,117 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:31 AM

Alright, if I can get my show on the road I have intentions of setting my scenario at and around The Sentinels.  http://warhammerfb.w...ki/Ogre_Kingdom

Here is just the general diary entry post (I will be adding to it rather than adding more posts):

June 23, 2014
It will be making a general background for The Sentinels with some assumptions:
*  They are a waypoint for caravans on the Ivory Road in the Howling Wastes. The sentinels are not set in the Ogre kingdoms.  I thought about using PigBarter, but I didn't want to go too far out of the way.
* It won't be a caravan adventure.  It will start in the sentinels.  PCs will begin there with whatever backstory gets them there.
*  I may make it for Rank 3 characters as this area of the world is pretty darned dangerous.  Ogre Kingdoms nearby,Daemon's Stump, Chaos Dwarfs to the north, gnoblars!, Black Orcs, swamps, Rhinoxen, and all the durned' things around the sentinels.
* I'm going to have the sentinels waypoint be under partial garrison protection by the Empire, but it is a death sentence and has virtually no leader "Like this [/size]bridge[/size]... we build it every night. [Gnoblars ] blows it right back up again. Just so the generals can say the road's open." ~ adapted from Apoc.N.[/size]
* I'm not planning on overdetailing the area, but will suggest some tidbits for GMs to build upon
* I already have the skeleton of the adventure down based upon completely random idea from the "Random Adventure Generator" excel program.

500px-700px-OgreKingdoms.jpg

June 26th
Background Research:  Warhammer Fantasy Battles: Ogre Kingdoms p.54, 55:  [/color]
"The Ivory Road- [/color]The continent-spanning trade route known as the Ivory Road is often said to be the only traversable way from the Old World through the hazards of the East and into the heartlands of Grand Cathay and even then the journey is fraught with peril.  The caravans that travel it are almost like nomadic towns; such is the scale that a Great Caravan can reach a full mile in length. They are heavily defended, as they have to travel through some of the most dangerous and hostile areas on the face of the world.[/color]

The Ivory road passes from various cities of the Old WOrld through the Worlds Edge Mountains, past the [old] dwarven hold of Karak Drazh and along Death Pass. It winds through the treacherous haunted mountains until they pan out into the Dark Lands, where it passes to the north of the Goblin-infested Mount Grimfang and angles north-east towards the Howling Wastes. These desolate plains are plagued by near-constant gale force winds that shriek and scream across the blasted heath - some whisper that these are the voices of those who have died in this evil land. In the midst of this realm stand the gigantic standing stones known as the Sentinels. As the journey to this landmark passes through the heart of the industrial wasteland that are the Chaos Dwarf realms only a heavily guarded caravan stands any chance of arriving on one piece.[/color]

The Sentinels: As a pair of enormous rock formations jutting out of the ashen plains, the Sentinels are deep in the Howling Wastes. They are the only area of relative safety in the nightmarish landscape, despite their relative proximity to Black Fortress and Daemon's Stump; a ghastly citadel where the scions of Chaos gibber and prowl. The sentinels act as a trading post for rhinoxen, furs, provisions and other equipment necessary for a sustained trek through the mountains and a caravan will often change guards in this location before heading off on the next leg of its journey. The sheer faces of these standing stones, eroded by aeons of harsh weather, have countless winches, lanterns, tunnnels Gnoblar nests, smuggling holes and pully systems set into them, and harbour so many adventurers and entrepreneurs that they teem with activity day and night.[/color]

[From the Sentinels, the Ivory Road forks, with the main road continuing east, and the secondary road - the Spice Route to the trading settlement of Pigbarter at the mouth of the polluted River Ruin. This is by far the safer route, for once a traveller has made his way past the stinking sulphur pits of the Desolation of Azgoth, he finds himself in the wild and largely deserted homelands of the Hill Goblins until he reaches civilization, or something approaching it.[/color]

From Pigbarter the Spice Route heads east into distant Ind, the Land of a Thousand Gods. It snakes through the far north of Ind, a the tail of a great mountain range, where the monasteries of the Celestial Dragon Monks are to be found. Mystical but highly aggressive, tehse legendary warriors practice enlightenment through violence, and through strict meditation and training have even mastered the ability to breathe fire and run across water without breaking its surface."

THE SENTINELS' GNOBLAR GRUDGE  == 10 step adventure brainstorm/skeleton
1.       Introduction (Encounter 1)- get to know how you got to the sentinels and how you integrate with the other PCs  You’ll need to find a place to sleep.
2.       Encounter 2 – Get the chance to catch up on all the rumors abounding in the sentinels. There are 2 caravans in town, both heavily laden with ogres.  Both with ogres from opposing clans.  Things are tense to say the least.  The PCs are allied with one of the two Caravans.
a.       Caravan 1 – Frederick Von Kaufmann’s line from TEW:  LEADER -
b.      Caravan 2 – the other coaching line from TEW – LEADER:
3.       Encounter 3 – Targeted by the Gnoblars.  One of the PCs is targeted for theft by gnoblars and escapes with friends through an OGRE camp (pick one of the two).   Gnoblars also steal something from the OGRES and the possibility of a major battle could occur. The Gnoblars escape into the massive cave with the water-cavern that the caravans count on for water.  The ITEM is a gutplate plaque (smaller than a gutplate) of historical and leadership significance. PCs are tasked with recovering the ITEM stolen by the Gnoblar.
4.       Encounter 4 – Water cavern – the arguing around the water cavern is tense.  The PCs will need to put together a way to traverse the water cavern by boat or else swim.  They need to find which of the major cave entrances to the Gnoblars will lead them to the missing item. OGRES too big to get through the caves   Encounter 4.a .   Gnoblar with information  (all ogres have Gnoblar attendents) can give information
5.       Encounter 5 – Gnoblar guard cave
6.       Encounter 6 – Gnoblars ready to annihilate armored PCs with fire and nets; unarmored PCs can make it through easier
7.       Encounter 7 – Big ass monster
8.       Encounter 8 – Gnoblar swarms with strategy
9.       Encounter 9 – the Gnoblar “leader” of this smallish clan ;;; needs twist  RESEARCH GNOBLARS IN OGRE BOOK.  This Gnoblar has a grudge against a Gnoblar in one of the clans or something.
10.   Encounter 10 – The Chaos Stump rises:  As the PCs return, a major raid is coming from the Chaos Stump inhabitants. The ogres can’t hold them off if they are fighting each other.

Chaos dwarf research : 2e: TOC, OWB.  Might add curse of stoneed-sorcerer  as some 'thing giving gnoblars power, but not acually have a chaos dwarf otherwise appear..just the threat.

Long ridge of volcanic dyking..looks like bastion of stone chaos dwfs

ogre%20n%20gnoblar%20chart.jpg

Edited by Emirikol, 14 July 2014 - 10:45 PM.

#36 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,117 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:10 AM

This guy volunteered to do maps:

http://forum.rpg.net...u!-(Also-cake-)

#37 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,117 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 04:09 PM

This is a summer reminder to you all to stick with it and get that scenario written!  :)

Gnoblars.jpg

Edited by Emirikol, 15 July 2014 - 04:10 PM.

#38 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,117 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:49 AM

Update:  I will not be able to complete a scenario this year.  I am still sponsoring it ($20 gift card to the winner).  :)

jh

#39 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,117 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 10:53 PM

Here is a 3e scenario update to an old adventure (not for contest):  Peril at Stopover

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS