• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,084 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 04:46 PM

I'm announcing this early this year.  As always, I'll sponsor a $20 gift certificate to the winner and an official printed copy of "Day Late, Shilling Short" mailed to anyone who submits a completed entry.

If we get at least 5 people to commit (yes there will be drop-out), I will run the contest again this year.  Rules and details from last years contest are here and will be clarified in a later post:  http://community.fan...ntest/?p=818271

I will assist any of you who are not sure where to start or who want additional feedback and editing through the process.  

YES, you may write it for any edition of WFRP, however an accompanying 3rd edition conversion sheet is a requirement for entry. We have lots of people who can help with that.

Deadline for rough draft is August 1st.  Final deadline is October 31st.  I give you the rough draft deadline just to keep you all on track :)

So, I ask you brave men and women of the Empire:  will you support me again in fighting the good fight?

Jay Hafner

p.s. Here are the prior year entries:

2013 http://community.fan...ntest/?p=818271
2012 http://community.fan...showtopic=74348

Edited by Emirikol, 01 March 2014 - 10:58 AM.

#2 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,926 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:13 PM

I won't name him for I don't want to put public pressure on, but I've encouraged someone who shared their "post Enemy Within, globe trotting, Averland conspiracy galore" thinking with me to keep working at it saying "it would take the cake in a 2014 contest"!

For myself, tough to say.  I enter things I write for and use in my game (Favour for Fostenklauster, Steward of Grauwerk), which is all I have time to create (being the over-preparer I am), and also makes them playtested.  At the moment my game is moving from "bastardized end of Enemy Within" to 2nd edition's "Brutal Finish" also played around with by injecting a not-completely-resolved Enemy Within and my work on background for playing in Averland's succession crisis into the Wine Festival.  That means it has a good deal of "non-original stuff" in it so not suitable for entry.   Have to see where things are at by August.

#3 cjbowser

cjbowser

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:02 PM

I'll enter. I recently got into WHFRP 3e and have been really enjoying.
  • Emirikol likes this

#4 doc_cthulhu

doc_cthulhu

• Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 12:41 AM

Would you like me to add a post this on the Daily Empire too? And is this solely for 3rd edition?

• Emirikol likes this

The Daily Empire - An inspirational & resource site for all games of Warhammer

The Guild Blog - A blog about RPGs, games (and apparently comics) by my gaming group

#5 captaincutlass

captaincutlass

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:35 AM

I'll join, Always wanted to write out my Black Monolith campaign as we had good fun with it.

Some info here; http://www.obsidianp...-black-monolith

Edited by captaincutlass, 01 March 2014 - 06:36 AM.

#6 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,084 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:55 AM

Would you like me to add a post this on the Daily Empire too? And is this solely for 3rd edition?

Yes :)

I also got it announced on sts, rpg.net, enworld.org, paizo.com.

Edited by Emirikol, 01 March 2014 - 10:34 AM.

#7 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,084 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:04 PM

I hope some more of you are interested in participating because I have a whole bunch of ideas floating around in my head about canals, canal monsters, murder, false-imprisonment, and layer upon layer of the onion that not only gives you bad breath, but eventually reveals the BBEG  :)

• GMmL likes this

#8 doc_cthulhu

doc_cthulhu

• Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:13 PM

I have received one candidate for the contest. Hopefully we'll get more!

The Daily Empire - An inspirational & resource site for all games of Warhammer

The Guild Blog - A blog about RPGs, games (and apparently comics) by my gaming group

#9 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,084 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 02:04 PM

We're going to need more entrants posting here if this is going to happen.  I'd like to volunteer some suggestions for any of you thinking of doing a scenario, but who don't know how to get started.

Writing a scenario is an organic process.  Here's my process, but you may have your own:

Step 1:  Get a big idea  on paper.  I'm not terribly creative, so I like to get inspiration from an un-explored adventure hook or obscure mention in official material.  

Step 2:  Brainstorm for about a page of some stuff I like to include.  It could be anything from a creature, something I saw in a movie, or a new rule I'd like to explore from the game.

Step 3:  I research online or in the official books about that big theme or those elements.

Step 4:  I write down 10, one-sentence encounters that railroad from getting hired in a bar, down dark roads, facing terrible evils, and then to the dramatic climax facing some big bad evil guy.

Step 5:  Expand each encounter into a paragraph or two.

Step 6:  Keep adding information to each paragraph as inspiration moves me.

Step 7:  Get feedback from other writers by posting it somewhere.  

Step 8:  Add rules and stat-blocks after feedback

Step 9:  Do final additions and re-writes.

Step 10: Format and release.

#10 Eradico Pravus

Eradico Pravus

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 04:54 PM

I'm game. Count me in.

#11 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,084 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:36 PM

That makes two!  We need at least three more direct personal confirmations.

#12 reg

reg

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 03:05 PM

I'm in. May even get the Trouser Bandits to play test it.(Oh God, it had better be pretty simple then).

• Emirikol likes this

#13 egibbs

egibbs

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:03 PM

Hey, I just got into WH 3E and I really love it. If the contest deadline isn't till August/October, I'll go ahead and commit to getting an entry together by then!

• Emirikol likes this

#14 Carcosa

Carcosa

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 06:08 PM

Are these adventures designed to be stand alone? if so, what kind of length are you looking at for entries?

#15 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,084 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 06:18 PM

Whatever you want.  Here are the suggestions for something with meat:  http://community.fan...ntest/?p=818271

#16 Carcosa

Carcosa

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 06:24 PM

So, something along the lines of the adventures found in the Black fire pass would be a good model in terms of length? Something that can be played over one or 2 sessions at most?

#17 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,084 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 09:37 AM

Sure.  I've always written mine so that they could be played in 1-2 4 hour slots at a game convention (for instance).  That's usually about 10 encounters/scenes/events in total.

One of my players has graciously decided to join the writing contest this year and (I think) is centering his around an existing detailed area (Mousillon or Ubersreik or something).  That allows a GM to get a lot of use out of an area, but there's no reason why you couldn't even detail a new area as background and then have a scenario to go with that as well.

I'm available for all writers for feedback and to bounce ideas off of.

If you have any trouble getting started, you can always choose an adventure hook that has been presented in official material and take it further (I did that with False Pretenses, Lone Wolf, and One Hand Gives...).

Another option is to start to trigger some ideas off of the "Random Adventure Generator for WFRP3" here:  https://dl.dropboxus...Output 1.3.xlsx

Best,

jh

#18 Eradico Pravus

Eradico Pravus

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 01:12 PM

One of my players has graciously decided to join the writing contest this year and (I think) is centering his around an existing detailed area (Mousillon or Ubersreik or something).  That allows a GM to get a lot of use out of an area, but there's no reason why you couldn't even detail a new area as background and then have a scenario to go with that as well.

Yeah, I will place it in Mousillon but I might provide alternate names/locations so that the scenario might easily be translated to an Empire setting.

#19 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,084 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 09:35 AM

My impudent typing finger is healing up and I'm itching to get back to writing again.  Now that I can hit the "E" key, I'm feeling inspired.

Do any of you have any special requests of any region or theme you'd like me to set it in?

• Southlands expedition (maybe I can recruit Valvorik ;)
  • Norsca themed
  • Kislev themed
  • To Tilea via underground river from Wissenland
  • Talabecland crater
  • Ubersreik
  • Marienburg
  • The great forest around Middenheim
  • Other city
  • Dwarf epic into the mountains or karak or Dungeon crawl
  • Elf-centric
  • other?

Would any of you other authors like to collaborate on a particular area or anything?

Jay H

Edited by Emirikol, 21 May 2014 - 09:48 AM.

#20 edwardp

edwardp

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 07:34 AM

Emirikol,

Whatever you decide to write, I'm sure it will be fantastic!  ;-)

I always thought an Elf-centric adventure/group would be fun.  I've always thought in the WH world, it is real tough to play an Elf.  However, having an Elf-centric group, based in either Athel-Loren or Ulthuan, could be real fun.

• Emirikol likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS