The ship's exploding!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Seiito

Seiito

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:45 PM

I am curious as to what happens to people when they lose combat in space.

Thus far my crew has managed to avoid picking space fights bigger than we can handle, but what I want to know is, when's the best time to try an escape pod?

GMs, when your ship goes to 0 hull, do you give people one last round to escape or do you kill them?

Should I as a character decide that when we're down to 5 hull I need to get the heck out of there?

What about fighter craft? It would seem that getting hit in one is a rapid way to die from the hull points, but is there a shot at ejecting?

#2 Desslok

Desslok

• Members
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:48 PM

Well, much like ground combat, hitting zero hull does not mean boom. Sure it means the ship is in bad shape, but it takes a critical to actually kill the ship.Take a peek a page 243 for all the "So your ship has exceeded your hull trauma" information.

#3 Doc, the Weasel

Doc, the Weasel

Pretending to be many, many things.

• Members
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:49 PM

The ship is still intact at 0 Hull (actually damage equal to or exceeding Hull Threshold; damage is positive in this game). The only time the ship breaks apart is when it takes the crit that says it does. 

• FangGrip likes this

Listen to my actual play podcasts at BeggingForXP.com.

Take a look at my Talent Trees (Edge of the Empire and Age of Rebellion), YT-2400 deck plans for the Lazy Bantha, as well as my other handouts.

#4 themensch

themensch

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:50 PM

I think it's up to the GM - when my heroes' ship reached 0 Hull I had them adrift in space, a lifeless husk of a gundark bleeding atmosphere and electricity.  I haven't made any hard & fast rules for it, I just present them with a situation and let them figure out how to get out of it. 

Now, if an NPC ship hits zero it's done for if the story dictates it's done for.  I know, I know, everyone's sick of hearing "let the story decide."

#5 jerrypocalypse

jerrypocalypse

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:50 PM

If I understand the rules correctly, I don't believe PC ships get completely destroyed when they reach 0 Hull. I think they are just disabled at that point. I think the only way is the get a the critical on the critical table. So, you're certainly safe for a time before you need to resort the escape pods. You may even be able to repair your ship enough to limp back to a planet while you're drifting in space.

#6 Shakespearian_Soldier

Shakespearian_Soldier

• Members
  • 957 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 04:32 PM

If I remember the RAW, the ship loses power and maneuverability, but does not explode or anything else - it just means that it can't move, and will likely be hit with enough subsequent attacks to bring the Critical Hits up to deadly levels.

"Beg for your life. No, doing so won't save you - but it will make your death more amusing to watch."
- Vago the Hutt; Star Wars: Edge of the Empire

#7 UHF

UHF

• Members
  • 414 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:29 PM

What does the plot demand?

The rules say they can limp home. Just need some duct tape.

The bad guys may have different plans. To kill or not to kill, that is the question. Ask yourself... If you were that bad guy, would you want to annihilate them, or would you not care. In many cases the bad guys may not care.

#8 RedfordBlade

RedfordBlade

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 01:17 PM

Previous posters have covered the "Damage Exceeding HT" question, but as for ejection systems and escape pods, I would point you to pg. 227 in the EotE Core.

Most ships have some escape method, and while I wouldn't necessarily have it work all the time for NPCs, my players can rest assured that their ejection seats will trigger in the nick of time. Unless the escape system gets critted. ;)

Of course, it should be noted that in many such situations, you are either very thankful to be wearing a spacesuit, or very regretful that you are not.

Edited by RedfordBlade, 01 March 2014 - 01:19 PM.

#9 InOzWeTrust

InOzWeTrust

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:39 PM

Page 243 EotE Core

"If the pilot or crew of a crippled ship with hull trauma that exceeds its hull trauma threshold is particularly desperate or foolish, they may attempt some temporary repairs to either escape or re-join the fray. By scavenging parts from ruined systems, raiding the hold for any spares, and bypassing damaged components, along with a Hard Mechanics check, the crew can bring the ship back to some semblance of life. The ship reduces its hull trauma to one below its hull trauma threshold but suffers the following penalties: speed is reduced to 1, Maneuverability is reduced to -3, and all weapon systems are inoperable until fully repaired. If the ship re-enters combat in this fragile state, any attack that inflicts hull trauma immediately generates a Critical Hit with + 30 added to the roll on Table 7-9: Critical Hit Result. All of these effects persist until the ship can be dry-docked and repaired."

• Brother Orpheo likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS